Off Cycle Fellowship Position..

Started by MZA
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

MZA

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Dear forum seniors, I am internal medicine resident and interested in hem/onc fellowship. The problem is that i joined my residency one month late so that makes me off cycle in my residency. Can anyone please tell me how this will affect my fellowship chances and is there anything that i can do to compensate this. I will really appreciate any guidance from seniors. Thanks a lot.
 
Dear forum seniors, I am internal medicine resident and interested in hem/onc fellowship. The problem is that i joined my residency one month late so that makes me off cycle in my residency. Can anyone please tell me how this will affect my fellowship chances and is there anything that i can do to compensate this. I will really appreciate any guidance from seniors. Thanks a lot.

If you can't start on July 1 you can't participate in the Match. There are few (no?) off cycle spots out there. Is there any way you can skip over an elective month or two and make up the time that way? Unlike Gen Surg, there's plenty of cushion built-in to most IM residency schedules. I know lots of people who took 2+ months of FMLA time and still graduated on time. You should be able to do the same. Talk to your PD about it now.
 
Gutonc thank you very much for your reply, i really appreciate it. I will talk to my PD soon regarding this matter. Further, i have 3 weeks vacations every year, what if i decides not to utilize one week every year, will that make up for that as well? Thanks again.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gutonc thank you very much for your reply, i really appreciate it. I will talk to my PD soon regarding this matter. Further, i have 3 weeks vacations every year, what if i decides not to utilize one week every year, will that make up for that as well? Thanks again.

I don't know if you can get away with giving up vacation for anything other than personal/medical/family leave. But check with your GME office.

Again, you shouldn't have any problem filling in a gap of just 1 month. Replace an elective or BS consult/outpt month (Derm, Rheum, whatever) with a month of wards/ICU and you're done.