Offical Do You Senior Grades Count? Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theunderdog

Medical Student (Slave)
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm actually sick of seeing multiple threads asking the same thing.

for college seniors who have already gotten accepted into med school--

it's OK to get a C, not a D or F (in my school, F is a R). if you get a C, the school will ask for an explanation or an opporunity for you to explain.

FEW schools are cool with a C, but they will tell you in the acceptance letter.

for rising pre-meds:

if you happen to get a C or B- or such in a pre-req, then you are OKAY if you can pull off an A in the 2nd part of the course. for example, you get a C in ochem I and you put off an A in ochem II.

plus, you should not be worried about individual grades as much. you should worry about your overall BCPM. regardless of how many Cs you get, you need to somehow get at least around a 3.4 BCPM... 3.5 BCPM to be safe...

even if you get Cs in prereqs, you better start taking some easy science courses to boost the BCPM.

myth busted and case closed.

Members don't see this ad.

uh...i got a B- in the first semester of orgo. turned around and got a C+ in the second semester...ended up with a 3.1-3.2 BCPM...got multiple interviews in september and two acceptances by halloween.

so, you don't even need to get an A in the second semester of a pre-req to remain competitive. in fact, apparently, you don't even have to show an upward trend.

myth more busted. case more closed. :cool:

jbrice1639 said:
uh...i got a B- in the first semester of orgo. turned around and got a C+ in the second semester...ended up with a 3.1-3.2 BCPM...got multiple interviews in september and two acceptances by halloween.

so, you don't even need to get an A in the second semester of a pre-req to remain competitive. in fact, apparently, you don't even have to show an upward trend.

myth more busted. case more closed. :cool:

Thats awesome...congrats!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for clarifying this for the students who will have gray hair before they're 27.

theunderdog said:
for college seniors who have already gotten accepted into med school--

it's OK to get a C, not a D or F (in my school, F is a R). if you get a C, the school will ask for an explanation or an opporunity for you to explain.

FEW schools are cool with a C, but they will tell you in the acceptance letter.

Really? I didn't think it was a HUGE deal. I sadly received my first C+ this semester, but yet managed a 3.5 for the semester...should I write to the school that I was accepted to, or is situation seen as being ok?

really, you think if you get Cs post-acceptance notification the school will ask you to explain??

jammin, i think your fine, would not stress.