Office/clinic Gynecology and Gyn Surgery becoming separate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NWwildcat2013

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently had an attending who laughed a bit when I told him that I liked that OB/GYN offers the chance to do clinic based work and occasional surgery similar to urology or ENT. He said that model is going extinct because most OB/GYNs find it hard to get privileges for surgery because they don't do them with enough frequency. He said that the field is starting to see a segregation and docs are increasingly either primarily surgeons or office/clinic gynecologists.

Is this true? I took it with a grain of salt since he was not an OB/GYN.

Members don't see this ad.

No

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It's not really feasible if you think about it. You can't be a surgeon without having clinic to get patients that need surgery and to see them for followup afterwards. There are certainly physicians in surgical fields who do not operate as much towards the end of their careers, but it's fairly nonexistent AFAIK to be like that from the beginning. That's kind of the role that midlevels are filling in certain fields.

Reactions: 1 user
That is the model Kaiser is trending towards but certainly not the norm in the field.

Reactions: 1 user