Office Policy-Tardiness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lobelsteve

Staff member
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Lindsey and Jessica,

I do understand that the girls pulling for Lobel are frustrated. Dr. Lobel’s patients are contacted a day or more ahead of their appointments and are the only ones that are “fast-tracked” prior to their appointment. We started doing that about 2 years ago to speed up check-in since Lobel is the only provider who tends to run on schedule. All of Lobel’s patients are advised to come earlier than their appointment time but patients who tell the staff (when they are called)that they have a new insurance are advised to come 30 minutes earlier than their scheduled appointment time and bring the ID card so it can be scanned. We do get the new insurance information, confirm eligibility, and benefits before the patient comes for their appointment. Unfortunately, if Dr. Lobel’s patients arrive right at their appointment time along with 10-12 other patients who are on other provider or diagnostic schedules, there may be a wait. There are 4 people at the front check-in desk (unless it is during the lunch period) who are working as quickly possible, writing down the names of arriving patients, flagging the patient’s chart that the patient has arrived, verifying the patient information, asking screening questions, checking the patient in, handing out forms, scanning new insurance cards, printing the tickets and then flagging the patient chart again that the patient is ready to be pulled back. I am willing to entertain any suggestions on faster check-in, but I don’t know with everything that the staff has to do to check in one patient how it will expedite getting all these things completed any quicker.

I have a strict 10 min after appointment and you are rescheduled policy to stay on time. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Lindsey and Jessica,

I do understand that the girls pulling for Lobel are frustrated. Dr. Lobel’s patients are contacted a day or more ahead of their appointments and are the only ones that are “fast-tracked” prior to their appointment. We started doing that about 2 years ago to speed up check-in since Lobel is the only provider who tends to run on schedule. All of Lobel’s patients are advised to come earlier than their appointment time but patients who tell the staff (when they are called)that they have a new insurance are advised to come 30 minutes earlier than their scheduled appointment time and bring the ID card so it can be scanned. We do get the new insurance information, confirm eligibility, and benefits before the patient comes for their appointment. Unfortunately, if Dr. Lobel’s patients arrive right at their appointment time along with 10-12 other patients who are on other provider or diagnostic schedules, there may be a wait. There are 4 people at the front check-in desk (unless it is during the lunch period) who are working as quickly possible, writing down the names of arriving patients, flagging the patient’s chart that the patient has arrived, verifying the patient information, asking screening questions, checking the patient in, handing out forms, scanning new insurance cards, printing the tickets and then flagging the patient chart again that the patient is ready to be pulled back. I am willing to entertain any suggestions on faster check-in, but I don’t know with everything that the staff has to do to check in one patient how it will expedite getting all these things completed any quicker.

I have a strict 10 min after appointment and you are rescheduled policy to stay on time. Thoughts?
same policy here

Reactions: 1 user
4 check in people for 6 doctors on my side of building. 130 visits per day or so for all of us. If patient here but not check in, we grab them and do visit ahead of admin-insurance update, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jeez, maybe I’m being too strict. My patients are usually rescheduled if they aren’t there by their appointment time. However, we give them an arrival time 30 minutes prior to appt for new, 15 for f/u, so a new patient who checks in 10 minutes before their appointment is already 20 minutes later than they were told to arrive. I don’t tend to stay on time very well though.

Hi Lindsey and Jessica,

Same here

1 check-in person for 2 doctors and 2 mid-levels

I've often wondered if we should just be telling the patients their appointment time is 15-30 minutes before the actual appointment. none of this "your appointment is at 9am and your arrival time is 8:30".
patients hear 9am and expect to be seen even if they show up at 9:10 in that case.

I also run on time and am super frustrated by people who show up late.

if i am working during the middle of the day and a patient shows up late i will usually still see them. if its at the end of the day and i want to be out of there, i am not waiting. usually give 15 minute lag time. if my 10:00 injection shows up at 10:30, they are still getting the shot.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm pretty lenient. Spend a lot of effort and money on marketing. Not letting revenue walk out and potentially not coming back. Plus if they are upset, the negative feedback to referral source or Google isn't worth it. I'm pretty efficient and can make up for lost time.

I allow 15 minute tardiness unless they call ahead and have reasonable excuse. Otherwise I ask them to reschedule or they can wait until all the patients who came on time are done. This puts the ball strictly in their court and avoids arguments

I'm pretty lenient. Spend a lot of effort and money on marketing. Not letting revenue walk out and potentially not coming back. Plus if they are upset, the negative feedback to referral source or Google isn't worth it. I'm pretty efficient and can make up for lost time.
I have an ego (or so I am told), and a line of patients trying to get in sooner for procedures or just OV. The more negative feedback the better I can take care of your grandmothers Fx or uncles SCS.

20 minutes, because I can see myself being 15 minutes late for my own appointment and then having trouble finding parking. If you’re old/on a walker, traveled more than an hour away to see me or have small children with you I’m even more lenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
20 min, but i am always behind, so to be fair to patients, i will see them, unless they are an hour or more, or it is at the very end of the day.

with some of my patient population, any arrival is considered a near miracle.

Reactions: 1 users
I generally will squeeze them in regardless if within 30 minutes. Hurt me now or hurt me later.... I would rather get it over now. Rescheduling just makes me busier down the road. I do make note of late/no show and reschedule if they are repeat offenders.

In the military being late is grounds for me to email their commander and ask why their soldier can't show up on time to appointments. Then they show up 30 minutes early for their next appointment.

Steve, with your volume they should hire a dedicated front desk person just for you, since you are the only one who runs on time.

10 minute cutoff, hard stop (unless we screwed up)

My office (big group) policy is 30 minutes. I hate it and patients showing up 20-30 minutes late is my #1 source of frustration on a daily basis. If I could make it 10 minutes, I would lose some revenue, but I’d be happier and it would be worth it to me… but I can’t.

Reactions: 1 users
if you accept late pts you punish the punctual pts

Reactions: 9 users
if you accept late pts you punish the punctual pts
Our policy is 20 minutes late through no control of my own.

However if they check in late they will be seen after everyone currently checked in (on time or early).

Hi Lindsey and Jessica,

We have “I’m sorry but we do not have a late policy at all, we will reschedule you for next available.” This means 2 min late or later. I run on time too. Keep your strict 10 min!