Office Politics/ Job Security

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Avex007

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am in need of sound advice from current retail pharmacists as I am in a unique situation.

I am a pharmacist who works in a major retail chain. I was a floater until last year, I was given a store.
A little background of the store. There is the Rx manager, Tech A, and Tech B.

Going into the position, I did not get along with Tech A. From my point of view, she was slacking and not doing her job to her potential. For example, she doesn't type, fills slowly, constantly plays on her phone, leaves for breaks unannounced, and does not put orders away. She often calls out or shows up late for work too.

Tech B does all the work and I feel bad for him but he blamed both I and tech A because he can only judge by the mess he walks into.

On multiple occasion, I have brought the issue to the Rx manager. However, she sides completely with tech A and believes her.

When I brought it to the DM, nothing came of it. Furthermore, the store manager seems to be friendly with this tech too.

Rx manager is picky with me. She constantly leaves me notes to do ABC about little things.
For example, forgetting to bill PAAD, Ordering not enough meds etc.

I would like to think I was not lazy. I do outdates, inventory etc...

And no, I am NOT the old school pharmacist who never fill and only checks med.

I actually help her pull baskets, so she can count.

I and tech B always finish the mess and finish on time.

To be continued....

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Fast forward, tech A made the mistake of accepting cash tips from a customer and another customer brought it to my attention. Therefore, I had no choice but to report it. The DM got involved and all of the staff had to sign a acknowledgement.

Yet...she accepted a gift card AGAIN, which was considered a money equivalent so HR was angry.
HR sent an email to the Rx manager and asked why it wasn't made clear the first time.

We all signed another paper.

At this point the, Rx manager tried to get me to sign a print out from a conference call about deferring prescriptions to the correct time so prescriptions don't go past due.

I found this highly odd. I felt that she was trying to retaliate and use this as a warning to be able to write me up for little mistakes in the future.

So I sent HR an email. HR sent a reply that we should try to talk it out and best done by phone. HR also said they sent the money issue to higher up and were awaiting on what to do with Tech A.

Tech A also taunted me that they would never fire her because techs are in demand and that the store manager would lie and say that he said it was OK to take gift cards in order to protect her.

Last edited:
Today, suddenly the DM came and told me that she was going to move me back to floating and demoting the Rx manager to staff becuse she didn't want to be manager and also because our metrics were not met. When I told her that if the tech was doing her job, I would be able to focus on metrics, DM said I was blaming the tech.

She told me it was common practice to shuffle staff around to improve metrics. So why are the other staffs getting a store and I am not?

I called the HR and she agreed that it was highly unusual. However, I opted to not step over the DM, so I decided that I will talk to the DM first next week when she comes back from vacation.

Obviously I need to make sure, I get full time hours and benefits etc.

Do you think I should..

1) accept it and just make sure, I get my hours and benefits.

2) accept it but also bring up to the DM (in a polite way), that there was unequal treatment. I mean, how can you blame me about metrics when I already brought the issue early on and was ignored.

3) fight up to HR with my point across.

4) Consult my old DM who is now promoted to a "transition lead" for advice.

If I just say nothing, I feel like my DM will keep stepping over me, but if I assert myself, I am afraid that she will find a way to get me in trouble in the future.

Btw, this is a chain take over store, so from what I heard, our DMs will most likely not be around when finalized.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, when there are company takeovers, is there less job security floating?

4 is free and 2 is unproductive, if you're going to start a fight, you finish it on your terms. You're getting moved out, which can be a good thing considering the circling the drain situation. Make sure it's a guarantee is also a free action with HR. All other options, we don't have to answer unlike you.

Don't worry about Tech A, she'll take care of herself.

I'd cut my losses, acknowledgement that white knight syndrome gets you the same reward as Don Quixote and learn to politic better than this as you basically gave the bad guys all of your plans beforehand. Applying elsewhere for a permanent isn't a bad idea either.

Reactions: 3 users
"you basically gave the bad guys all of your plans beforehand"

What do you mean? You think they DM's lurk here?

Last edited:
I forgot to add.
Company policy is 6 tardiness/call out documented= firing.

Tech A had more and I tried to get RX manager to have her sign. DM agreed to it but not all was documented.

This was leading up, to before yesterday.

One bad/lazy apple ruins the environment for everyone. Same thing happened at my previous job.

Good luck to you in the future OP, hope you find what you're wanting.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you guys think the reason for the move is purely metrics?

Our metrics were not too bad overall and only mainly deletes were high. DM kept on asking us to get deletes down. It actually went down and then went up again recently. We live in a sort of resort town, so we have a lot of transfer in during summer and out during winter.

I am under the impression that the store manager and/or Rx manager had something to do with this.
Maybe phone calls were being made.

Perhaps I can make the case with HR about the situation and not blaming any one individual.

Apply for a different company

I appreciate your advice, however, if I apply to another job, I am bound to deal with same issue because people are people.

I appreciate your advice, however, if I apply to another job, I am bound to deal with same issue because people are people.
You do not have the same odds of this at a new company as you do of it continuing where you are but by all means, stay the course if you choose

You do not have the same odds of this at a new company as you do of it continuing where you are but by all means, stay the course if you choose

If I go HR, do you forsee it going bad? I've only been in retail for 2 years.

have you ever seen someone in similar situation win or lose?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are hired to get a job done, get it done and then you won't have these problems. Bosses don't like drama and the source of drama will be moved or removed as needed.

Reactions: 1 users
OP was outnumbered unfortunately so OP should be happy to get out of that **** assuming guaranteed hours

As i posted last year, i was in a similar situation when i got demoted over the metrics . I became the scapegoat. You can't win in those situations. Be happy that you are going to float and still have a job. The outcome could have been worst.

Why is it okay for people at Dunkin Donuts to accept tips but not at the pharmacy? I hate it when you order take out and the hostess stares at you as you sign the credit card invoice with the tip line, expecting you to leave a tip. They did less work than pharmacy techs.

Tipping culture in the U.S. has now become more of a joke when you get the above examples.

LOL @ leaving tips when you take out

Why is it okay for people at Dunkin Donuts to accept tips but not at the pharmacy? I hate it when you order take out and the hostess stares at you as you sign the credit card invoice with the tip line, expecting you to leave a tip. They did less work than pharmacy techs.

Agreed. I still don't get tips on take-out. To me, on take out, unless you do a particularly exceptional job, no tip for you. Dining in is a totally different story.

And to answer OP's question, it almost sounds like you're just crossfire in office politics here. Honestly, floating isn't that bad of a gig. Just leave the store so it isn't a disaster for the person inheriting it, and you're good. Also, remember to take good care of the techs.

You escalated what seemed like trivial matters to HR and to your DM. I personally wouldn't be fond of that either. I'm willing to bet that you're seen as a whiny tattletale by your colleagues.

Again, I don't know the full story but it seems like a lot of this drama you brought on yourself, so you get to reap the"rewards." Be smarter next time...it's not always about one upping someone.

Reactions: 2 users
Office politics are like War Games. The only winning move is not to play. I'd look into joining another company if I were you. You really come across to me as wanting a fight and you won't be able to finish it as a floater pharmacist when you're facing a DM. Cut your losses.

This story is obviously biased but could it be that you may actually be the problem? There are things that happen behind the scene and maybe tech A, tech B and the pharmacy manager clean up after you...

These techs are the worst. Most of the time I feel like they are just there to be in the way more than anything

Without knowing other than what OP states, I don't see how dealing with a dead-weight tech is a "trivial matter" and you shouldn't take money or gifts anyway. But the manager sounds weak so there is only so much you can do. A lot of techs are garbage too with no work ethic but again the pay is not proportionate to dealing with problem scripts all day and bad customers non-stop

Be glad you got out. People talk about hospital politics but when this **** happens in retail it is the worst because you barely have enough time to deal with distribution and managing problem customers and scripts

I always leave the que finished. everything checked and filled. Vials rerfilled by 2nd tech. garbage and HIPPA taken out.
I'm still here for a month but I'm going to keep my sanity now on.

Today, suddenly the DM came and told me that she was going to move me back to floating and demoting the Rx manager to staff becuse she didn't want to be manager and also because our metrics were not met. When I told her that if the tech was doing her job, I would be able to focus on metrics, DM said I was blaming the tech.

She told me it was common practice to shuffle staff around to improve metrics. So why are the other staffs getting a store and I am not?

I called the HR and she agreed that it was highly unusual. However, I opted to not step over the DM, so I decided that I will talk to the DM first next week when she comes back from vacation.

Obviously I need to make sure, I get full time hours and benefits etc.

Do you think I should..

1) accept it and just make sure, I get my hours and benefits.

2) accept it but also bring up to the DM (in a polite way), that there was unequal treatment. I mean, how can you blame me about metrics when I already brought the issue early on and was ignored.

3) fight up to HR with my point across.

4) Consult my old DM who is now promoted to a "transition lead" for advice.

If I just say nothing, I feel like my DM will keep stepping over me, but if I assert myself, I am afraid that she will find a way to get me in trouble in the future.

Btw, this is a chain take over store, so from what I heard, our DMs will most likely not be around when finalized.

Dude how could you be this dense/ naive . You realize the US is a pretty corrupt country right? I agree with you the tech is probably bad but you realize she is being protected for a reason? Chronism, nepotism or it could easily be she is sexually involved with the DM or the PIC right? She could be trading oral sex or fornicating with the PIC or her daughter could be. Very common stuff bro. You need to understand the full picture before you go trying to cut off the dead weight. Or it could be techs are in very high demand but i find that hard to believe if she is truly a bad tech.

So whats your advice? I DO know that there is inequality. DM is a she. Rx manager is a she. Store manager is a he.

Dude how could you be this dense/ naive . You realize the US is a pretty corrupt country right? I agree with you the tech is probably bad but you realize she is being protected for a reason? Chronism, nepotism or it could easily be she is sexually involved with the DM or the PIC right? She could be trading oral sex or fornicating with the PIC or her daughter could be. Very common stuff bro. You need to understand the full picture before you go trying to cut off the dead weight. Or it could be techs are in very high demand but i find that hard to believe if she is truly a bad tech.

So whats your advice? I DO know that there is inequality. DM is a she. Rx manager is a she. Store manager is a he.
If the bad tech is protected there is really nothing you can do unless you build a deep case about her and then take it to court (aka Corp / HR). I would just keep building a case about her silently until you think you have enough of a case to terminate her without the DM and PIC's support. The DM and PIC have a lot of weight with Corp so pretty hard to get rid of a protected employee. Best just to avoid stepping on toes and just collect the pay check or step up to plate try to get rid of her and risk your job. Good luck bro!

I stepped back to look at the big picture.

DM is probably under a lot of stress. She has to prove herself via metrics before takeover by other company. Obviously if metrics are even slightly low=reshuffle staff.

She doesn't manage techs. if rx managers can't handle a tech, they get replaced.

Also the constant complaining from both sides makes more work for the DM, so remove the source of problem.

I am simply collateral in the bigger game.

I sent email to DM to verify hours, benefits and mileage.
Do you think she will agree?

Verbally she did in our meeting, but its common sense to have it in writing,

I think there is probable punishment for tech if I fight to HR.

For one, HR was angry at tech for taking the gift the second time.

My case to HR would be that negligence from Rx manager and tech lead to my punishment due to poor metrics.
If that is the case, I and the Rx manager are punished. Since, the pharmacy is a team, there needs to be an equal responsibility.

Company policy is (even less than 6) write up and probation=possible termination. This policy should be enforced.

Do you think this would work for HR?

I think it will and my DM probably won't care.

Do you think my logic is flawed?

I mean, another thing to consider is the long term effects of this. I think you’d be shooting yourself in the foot by going down that road. The DM will likely figure out it was you, and word travels fast. If it becomes a lawsuit, your name will be in it and the case will likely pull up with a simple google search of your name.

Were you still guaranteed hours and benefits?

As i posted last year, i was in a similar situation when i got demoted over the metrics . I became the scapegoat. You can't win in those situations. Be happy that you are going to float and still have a job. The outcome could have been worst.

So this is Rite Aid that has been bought but didn't fully convent into Walgreens yet?

You can't fight through HR. You will lose. You cut your loses and move on.

Tech A is not your problem to handle at this point. What is your solution exactly? Force your Rx manager AND Tech A to move on/get fired so you can keep your spot? Do you even know 100% that you have any support from Techs and/or front store in your current place. Please. You wait until Walgreens is fully in charge and people know their roles rather than this 'transitional' BS.

And to answer your question. DMs can and do move people for any or no reason at all... because they can. It doesn't have to make sense. Although in this situation, they are just separating 'warring' parties, which is what HR typically does anyway because it reduces liability.

Yeah. You do have a point. After rethinking, you don't want your future boss to think you are a problem maker.

Stay low for now. DM probably won't be around much longer anyways.

What about my benefits and hours?

So this is Rite Aid that has been bought but didn't fully convent into Walgreens yet?

You can't fight through HR. You will lose. You cut your loses and move on.

Tech A is not your problem to handle at this point. What is your solution exactly? Force your Rx manager AND Tech A to move on/get fired so you can keep your spot? Do you even know 100% that you have any support from Techs and/or front store in your current place. Please. You wait until Walgreens is fully in charge and people know their roles rather than this 'transitional' BS.

I don't know enough about floater vs full time floater in this big mess that Walgreens has created in their take over. You might want to talk to actual full time floaters in your district to see how life is treating them. It might be different district to district based on competence of corporate management.

I did to a current ft floater (former HR at another company)
She stated that they might use your PTO to cover the days they can't find hours. Sometimes you get a week of no hours, then another week working every day.

Also advised to not fight. Probably moved mainly due to metrics and they can move you for whatever reason and not to take it personal.

Said floater worked with my tech and agreed that the tech should be fired but pointed that it was not the DM's job.

I don't know enough about floater vs full time floater in this big mess that Walgreens has created in their take over. You might want to talk to actual full time floaters in your district to see how life is treating them. It might be different district to district based on competence of corporate management.

Honestly, I am rather upset with my DM (Obviously I am not going to fight it, but I'm ranting)

She talks in a condescending tone as if I can't handle high volume when I have good review with the fast paced stores I've been to (as far as I know). Thats probably how I got the store in the first place.

Yet, I did her the favors of covering ALL of her requests WHILE, I had this store.

What a complete LACK of appreciation.

Honestly I wish my old DM was still here.

It’s all politics dude. One of the top reasons people change jobs is a boss they don’t like. Start looking for a new home district/store

Will working the bare minimum this month get me in trouble?
Ie.e not, taking out trash, or outdates unless time mandates.

I don't feel like I should go the extra mile for them if they screw me.

I guarantee your DM thinks you're a PITA based on this blog you have going, regardless of who's right or wrong. I haven't had any communication with my DM in 4 years since I was hired. The best communication with a DM is none.

Reactions: 12 users
Yup the best way to know how well you are doing is how often you see/ talk to your boss. The less often, the better!

I actually don't see her often. This announcement was sudden.

Yup the best way to know how well you are doing is how often you see/ talk to your boss. The less often, the better!

Tech A sounds awful. She is the one running the show. Too bad cvs loves the techs and hates the rph. Even worse when it is union store. If I got stuck working with Tech A I would be kissing up to her offering to buy her lunch and giving her gifts. As far as the work goes just turn away as many customers as possible with out of stock excuses -tech A will love you for it. I have worked with a Tech A before and we got along great when we told everyone the system was down and they should go to kroger if they needed it asap.

I actually don't see her often. This announcement was sudden.

The fact that you even brought up tech drama to your DM makes him/her resent you. Tech drama should be handled at the store level and is the last thing a DM wants to deal with.

So basically you are saying that I am creating more petty work for her on her already busy schedule.
Metrics was just a ploy to get me out, since a new staff might run better with the team?

There was no action plan or write ups or warnings.

Would you say her intentions are for me to quit the company or just get out to avoid the drama?

The fact that you even brought up tech drama to your DM makes him/her resent you. Tech drama should be handled at the store level and is the last thing a DM wants to deal with.

OP you give off the impression of being a giant pansy. Par for the course for most pharmacists.