Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

*** Official 2007 Waitlist Movement Thread ***

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Haemulon, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    This may be a little pre-mature, but the season of major waitlist movement is fast approaching. I am guessing that there are many of us that are eager to get information about waitlist decisions from various schools, so this can be a place to share our info, anxiety, and speculations. Most importantly, please post any news or progress with your own waitlisted applications to help others get an idea about what is happening. Thanks! :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. OP
    OP
    Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Ok, so at least there is a little movement started already. I saw in the Allo EVMS thread that someone has recently been taken off of the waitlist there. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. nabs86

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just waitlisted at EVMS today. I'm the top 1/3 of the waitlist, so maybe there's hope?

4. StringerBell

StringerBell It's the final countdown!
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    *HUG THREAD*

I love this thread.

5. inside_edition

inside_edition Waitlisted Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    we should make a list of the waitlisted and accepted students, according to school with information on date of interview, date of being waitlisted, gpa, mcat, and date of acceptance.

doing so will help current waitlisted students gauge if and when they will be accepted.

6. ReachingTruth

ReachingTruth My Future Rests on Hope
    2+ Year Member

We should make a google spreadsheet or wiki page where people can put in their stats anonymously.

7. I'm on three right now including the aforementioned EVMS. My top choice is Wake and everything I hear says that there is lots of movement there.

Does anyone know of any other schools with lots of movement?

8. spiel

spiel Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

what constitutes a lot of movement...like at Wayne?

9. dgrover1984

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Waiting for further WL information at Wright State and Case...I know more about the latter than the former, which surprises me

10. PBandJ

PBandJ hot dog back in action!
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    ugh, i'm on 3 WLs...1 MD-only and 2 MD/PhD. here's hoping for some movement! :D

11. OP
    OP
    Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Hey cool. I am glad to see that this thread is starting to get some interest. My one waitlist is not looking super promising at present. I have been advised that my ranking probably won't come up for evaluation until July (or maybe late June) if it follows the typical pattern (i'm about in the middle of the list). That sure is a long while to go with uncertainty. :( But the chance is still there. :)

12. OP
    OP
    Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    I think that, you have an excellent chance, especially if you are in state.

13. Andrew1593

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

Just wanted to let you all know that I was waitlisted at EVMS on 1/16 and accepted on 3/21. I've since declined the offer. I'm in-state. Feel free to PM me if you have any more questions. Good luck to everyone, don't give up hope!

14. kateycat

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    what do you know about both? im waitlisted at both places too...

15. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

UPenn says their waitlist will move between April 15 and August 1. Here's hoping to getting into my #1 choice. At least they said I was at the very top of the 'unranked' waitlist :rolleyes:

16. mr burrito

mr burrito SOCMOB
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i too would love to see the penn list move. quaker do you know how many initial accpentances they sent out? also, i talk to their office and when i was trying to figure out our chances of getting in from the top of tier 1, she said it was greater that 50/50. so that was good to hear

17. hope4med

Hi everyone... so this might be a dumb question, but should you definitely call places you're waitlisted? What should you ask?

18. OP
    OP
    Haemulon

Resident [Any Field]
    Yes, call and ask to be accepted. :D

Just kidding. You can call and ask about your ranking in the waitlist, or perhaps just to re-express your interest (although interest is better expressed in a letter to the director or dean of admissions)

19. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

Sorry, I don't know how many acceptances were offered this year. However, a friend of mine who is an MS1 at Penn said that for her year about 40 people in the class of '10 were from the waitlist. I don't know if that number is accurate as it seems like a large percentage of the class, but at least it's a significant chunk of the students...

I should call their office to "check" to see if my update letter I sent in got there. Not that I have any doubts, but then I can pick their brains for how to get in...

I thnk the best advice in this thread is to show constant interest in the schools. After all, who do you want to let in, the guy who you waitlist and you never hear anything from again, or the guy who sends you two update letters and calls twice a month? Granted, you could be TOO pushy (don't call every day?!) but I think showing great interest in the school is essential.

20. hope4med

thanks guys! is it ok to photocopy letters about how great you are (ie informing you of graduating with honors etc) and send them in with your letters of interest? or is that pushing it?

21. dgrover1984

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    well case has officially made their "waitlist" of students who are actually ON the alternate list rather than simply a collection of students they haven't outright rejected yet......

wright state hasn't notified anyone about the waitlist yet, as far as i know. the emails i have sent asking about the waitlist have basically gotten responses of "we will let you know when we knowor if there is any news". the letters have all given early May as the best time for notification of waitlist position and acceptance off the waitlist, however. so i guess we've got another 2 or 3 weeks or so.... argh!.....

wright state is my #1 choice school so this is killing me! lol

22. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

I did that too so I hope it's not pushing it :D

23. KardiacKiehl

5+ Year Member

Brown moved at least somewhat yesterday, as I got in off the waitlist.

24. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

Great!!! Congrats. Did you do anything special to convince them of your awesomeness?

25. nabs86

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I'm trying to gauge the fine line between enthusiasm and harassment in my letters of intent. How many letters is too many and what is included under "additional information?"

Also, do you think they would get a restraining order if I stood outside the Dean's office with a bright smile and flowers every morning? :p

Congrats to Kardiac!

26. KardiacKiehl

5+ Year Member

Just sent in a letter of intent and application updates.

27. GujuMD

GujuMD 1K member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Brown: KardiacKiehl (4/6)

28. notgettingin

2+ Year Member

I also know there were two people who were accepted off the waitlist at SUNY Buffalo already (they are posted in the SUNY Buffalo thread).

Good luck to everyone (including me :D ) waiting....

29. chevaliermalfet

chevaliermalfet Don't stop belivin'!
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I just want to make sure I've got the difference between ranked and unranked waitlists figured out. As I understand it, with a ranked waitlist, as soon as someone resigns their admission, they simply choose the first waitlister off the top of the stack, and so on. But with unranked, they wait for a period until they know about how many people are giving up their admissions, and then review all the waitlisters again, and pick out enough to fill those extra spots.

Is that correct? I'm especially unsure with the unranked waitlist part, so anyone straightening me out would be greatly appreciated! Good luck on those waitlists everyone . . . :luck:

30. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    so, do most waitlists move significantly before may 15th since those w/accpetances have to reserve their spots prior to this date?

also, although waitlist movment probably is determined by # of applicants in that particular application cycle, does anyone know, in general, which schools tend to have a lot of waitlist movement? which schools have huge waitlists, holding hope out only for those in high priority status? etc... [if u can't tell, im starting to go in panic mode:scared: )

31. prznpremed

prznpremed Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Actually, I spoke with an admissions person about their ranked waitlist and they told me that they take people from all over there waitlist. That might explain why people in the "top third" sometimes never see an acceptance. She told me that they replace each spot with someone similar to who they've lost. Like if an OOS male gave up his spot, they will look to the list for the first OOS male. They may consider other demographics like race/mcat/gpa when they go to replace from the waitlist, but that is purely speculation....

32. ghsieh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    i guess it's only april 11, so yea whatever, but apparently there has been zero waitlist movement at Columbia cause i just called them today.

33. mlle3000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

and now it is april 12th.
    still no waitlist movement anywhere.
    sad...there's still more than a month left until may 15th.
    time goes by so slowly when all you do is sit in front of your computer......

34. y8507

2+ Year Member

hehehe that made me laugh :laugh:

35. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    anyone know how MSU's waitlist works? they said they don't rank their files, so how else do they choose?

And also, does anyone get off the waitlist before May 15 at MSU?

36. happy snake

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I second that! I wish i had dial-up instead of high-speed. Then I could sit and wait longer for each page to load...kill more time. :scared:

37. mlle3000

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    friday the 13th is the day
    i wanted to see if ya'll were okay?
    we sit and ponder our waitlist position
    when we should be studying binary fission

38. ReachingTruth

2+ Year Member

"Well, we like our internet slow, okay? We can turn it on, walk around, dance, make a sandwich. With DSL, there's no dancing, no walking, and we'd starve. It'd be all work and no play."
    - I don't know who.

I'm in your same boat. Seriously though, it just gets depressing while you read through SDN and wait. I've allotted myself an hour a day max on SDN and I feel happier.

39. paradocs we are

paradocs we are In love with you
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :laugh:

40. ZetaMD

Pre-Medical
    So I have been accepted to one of my schools and I'm really excited about that but I'm on the waiting list for Pitt which is one of my top choices. Do any of you know when that waiting list is going to start moving? And what are letters of intent? Also should I send in my transcripts from fall semester to the Admissions office? Good luck to everyone!!! :confused:

41. sagemedecon

2+ Year Member

"Well, we like our internet slow, okay? We can turn it on, walk around, dance, make a sandwich. With DSL, there's no dancing, no walking, and we'd starve. It'd be all work and no play."
    - I don't know who.

That would be Lorelai Gilmore from the Gilmore Girls!

42. MissTreesh

MissTreesh Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey everyone, I am also joining this depressing thread as I have been placed in an unranked waiting list for UCLA. I'm pretty freaking depressed and time seems to be moving too slow. If I don't get in, I'll have to move to the East Coast (i'm from west coast) and leave my friends and family. Sigh..:(

I am thankful to have gotten an acceptance at a great school but I'm just sad that I might not be able to go to my top choice school.

43. ghsieh

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    no. no one understands. i have 28.8k/s internet at home (my parents house) and it just KILLS ME over every single school break to go home to that shoddy internet connection which disconnects every 20 minutes. but my parents couldn't resist, dial-up wooed them with its sexy low prices.

44. Steve203

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    wow I'm in the same exact boat as you are, MissTreesh, I'm also waiting for UCLA and I'll be going to Pitt if it doesn't happen. I'm thankful I'm gonna go to med school, but can't say I'm excited to leave LA.

45. LifetimeDoc

LifetimeDoc EM Attending
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Ugh....being on the waitlist with no acceptances is just pure torture. I know that I'm high on one of the waitlists, and chances are I'll get in but that's no 100% guarantee. I just wish that I'd hear before finals week as I'm finding it very hard to concentrate on school work with the hopes of medical school just around the corner.

46. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i havent received a flat out acceptance yet, and am on 3 wl's..not even high priority...so yea, im kinda worried and frustrated...:( :(

47. ReachingTruth

2+ Year Member

I wish my schools would tell me where I am on their list so I'd know how realistic my chances are.

48. rachmoninov3

rachmoninov3 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    My one and only hope, UNM...asked us not to inquire about our position on the alternate list until May 1...so two more weeks until I find out where on the list I am...then two more weeks until may 15th.
    I too, am having trouble studying and staying motivated. It's especially difficult now, b/c I attended their second look day last saturday. Not only was it a tease b/c now I want to go there even more, but I found out that all alternates were invited (contrary to the results of my sdn post), only some of them didn't get the email due to a "computer glich".

The MCAT shows if you're smart enough, Organic chemistry shows you're crazy enough, and the damn application process is a chance to show you're stable enough to become a physician!

49. QuakerPreMed

2+ Year Member

Truer words have never been spoken on SDN.

50. ntsystematic

ntsystematic Get off my bacterial lawn
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think I will add this to my favorite quotes on facebook. :laugh: