OFFICIAL 2009 Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an interview tom. at Pace and I was wondering if anyone could tell me wut the events of the day are and how the interview is conducted?

Members don't see this ad.

Saint Louis University

call from grad student on 2/18/09,
letter received later that week

interviews on 3/5, 3/6, and 3/7

I just had an interview today and don't feel as good about it as one a few weeks ago. It's pretty discouraging. Have you guys walked out of some feeling great and then left others feeling like you really screwed up but can't place your finger on why? Frustrating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, definitely! Then the first one I nailed I got rejected, anyway, so I was like "Maybe feeling like I did badly is a good thing."

As a former manager of the interview list (2 years ago) I wish you all the luck. It is a lot more stress and work than you think, but completely worth it in the end. I only know for the last two years, but for the last two years the manager of the list has gotten into one of their top choices. I wish you the very best of luck!

I am sooo glad to say that the tradition continues.... I got into my TOP CHOICE!!! YAYYYYY!!!! Whoever is going to manage the list next year: I hope the good luck reaches you too!!!!

On another note, I know I have been MIA but I've been going to interviews and then extremely busy recovering from trance-like state I as in after getting accepted..LOL. I know the updates don't really matter at this point but it will be a nice resource for next year apps and I'll work on updating the list asap. :)

Does anyone that interviewed for St Johns Clinical PhD on friday have any useful info? Did you get asked any crazy questions in your interview?

thanks

The interview was less about research and more about clinical work/life outside of psychology. i.e., what do you do outside of psychology, what do you think would make you a good clinician, etc.

Anyone heard back from Yeshiva Univ. ? I interviewed there Feb. 4.

I also interviewed at the Uniformed Services Univ. on the 23rd. Anyone know when to expect to hear from them?

I can't wait for this process to be over............

I am sooo glad to say that the tradition continues.... I got into my TOP CHOICE!!! YAYYYYY!!!! Whoever is going to manage the list next year: I hope the good luck reaches you too!!!!

On another note, I know I have been MIA but I've been going to interviews and then extremely busy recovering from trance-like state I as in after getting accepted..LOL. I know the updates don't really matter at this point but it will be a nice resource for next year apps and I'll work on updating the list asap. :)

Welcome to the club lucyguard!!! Congrats!!! :D (I was the manager of the list last year). To second what Irish said it is a LOT of work and a lot of stress (obsessive e-mail checking to the extreme - partially to see if I heard back from any schools and partially to check for things to add to the list... okay and to see if any of the updates from fellow SDNers were about any of the programs I applied to :p)

It was totally worth it though. It was fun to do it and, as Irish implied, got into my top choice... CLEARLY as a result of running the list ;). I am absolutely thrilled with where I am now and I hope that that's a trend that continues too!

Yayyyyyyy that's awesome!!!
Thanks for all your work to manage this list and CONGRATS!!!:highfive:

Hi, could someone please post or PM me describing how long the interview took? I'm trying to figure out transportation plans afterward. I spoke to the person in charge of setting up the appointments, and she mentioned 2.5-3 hours. Did other people have that experience?
Thanks!

Hi, could someone please post or PM me describing how long the interview took? I'm trying to figure out transportation plans afterward. I spoke to the person in charge of setting up the appointments, and she mentioned 2.5-3 hours. Did other people have that experience?
Thanks!

I would say the whole thing took about 2 hours (~45min interview and the rest just talking to grad students).
good luck!

Awesome...congrats and thanks for all the work you put in for the rest of us!

I just had an interview today and don't feel as good about it as one a few weeks ago. It's pretty discouraging. Have you guys walked out of some feeling great and then left others feeling like you really screwed up but can't place your finger on why? Frustrating.

You are not alone, trust me. I think that how you feel about an interview once you have left says alot about how you will feel about the program. So if you left some place feeling drained or incredibly down, chances are that is not the place for you anyway. Don't beat yourself up about it.:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Still interviewing... got invited last night to come in next Thurs for 2 hr interview.

I got an interview at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) next friday. Anyone else? I haven't seen any threads on this school

I got an interview at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM) next friday. Anyone else? I haven't seen any threads on this school

While I have not interviewed there myself, I have friends who have. Do NOT admit to any theoretical orientation besides CBT. Praise CBT to the high heaven.

I actually decided not to apply based on the reports I've heard - they treat it as a religion. Well, that was one of the reasons.

While I have not interviewed there myself, I have friends who have. Do NOT admit to any theoretical orientation besides CBT. Praise CBT to the high heaven.

I actually decided not to apply based on the reports I've heard - they treat it as a religion. Well, that was one of the reasons.

I see...Well i'll be sure to do that! Thanks! NOt sure if I really like that though ...oh well...let's see what happens :)

I have a friend who was invited for an interview at SUNY-SB on 3-4-09! Her POI called her and said, "So, I'm looking at your application... would you like to come for an interview?" Of course she accepted, but called me to say, "Um... what was THAT all about?" She believes that they might have not liked enough people from their initial interviews and were giving their pseudo-rejected a second look.

I haven't received anything from them, positive or negative. But for those of you who name SB as one of your top choices, don't lose all hope until you get that rejection letter... :rolleyes:

Hey Jbird, wut PsyD. program, the clinical or the combined school-clinical??

Anyone receive an interview from the University of Hawaii clinical psych PhD program?

The interview was less about research and more about clinical work/life outside of psychology. i.e., what do you do outside of psychology, what do you think would make you a good clinician, etc.

I'm interviewing there on Monday--and I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about the layout of the interview process. Is there 2 interviews with faculty and 2 with grad students? The itinerary they send me is unclear.

Hi-I applied to the CU Ph.D. program but was rejected and instead admitted to their master's program. I was just wondering if you knew more about that. Is it common for them to do that?

I can tell you that in the past they have usually interviewed about 50 students, give or take. My guess is that it will be similar this year, but cannot say for sure.

PS- I'm a student there.

Are you referring to the Rutgers Psy.D. program or Ph.D.?

You are correct on many counts. Chances are that there will probably be no psych faculty there and it will definitely not impact the admissions process. It's a Graduate Open House and would be largely a waste of time in my opinion.

I'm a second-year at St. John's so let me know if you have any questions. If you're wondering about interviews, invites are typically extended in the middle of Feb and interviews (group) are held in the first and second weeks of March. Good luck! :luck:

Hi! I'm coming to St. Johns for an interview on Monday (3/9) and I'm unclear on where Bent Hall is?

Also, any tips for interview day? Thanks so much!

Are you referring to CU Denver's Clinical Psychology PhD?

Hi-I applied to the CU Ph.D. program but was rejected and instead admitted to their master's program. I was just wondering if you knew more about that. Is it common for them to do that?

i interviewed at yeshiva fro the clinical phd on feb 11 and i just got an informal acceptance email, but they seem disorganized so i figure they aren't done accepting

Interview this Thursday for Clinical PsyD. So they are accepting applicants before getting through all of the interviews??

Has anybody received a post-interview rejection from Loyola Chicago? If you don't want to post you can PM me. Thanks!

I have a friend who was invited for an interview at SUNY-SB on 3-4-09! Her POI called her and said, "So, I'm looking at your application... would you like to come for an interview?" Of course she accepted, but called me to say, "Um... what was THAT all about?" She believes that they might have not liked enough people from their initial interviews and were giving their pseudo-rejected a second look.

I haven't received anything from them, positive or negative. But for those of you who name SB as one of your top choices, don't lose all hope until you get that rejection letter... :rolleyes:

It may also be a change in funding. Money is REALLY tight at SB this year. So, it doesn't mean your friend was on a pseudo-rejected list. It could just be a shift in availability of funds.

But I would assume no invitation for an interview = no interest in you...right? It's weird because I got waitlisted at Syracuse but never went/was invited to an interview there. I'm scared to get my hopes up but is it possible..?

Has anyone heard from Hawaii at Manoa's Clinical PhD program? I'm wondering if I should e-mail them re: my satus.

Hello,

I luckily just stumbled upon this community and am so happy I did!

I am waiting to hear back from Nova Southeastern and Pepperdine, and was wondering if anyone else had heard yet...?

Also, if anyone has any information on Nova's selection process, that would be greatly appreciated. I interviewed two weeks ago and was under the impression I would have heard by now.

Thank you for your help!

I am aformer student of the psyd program...I had a difficult experience at this school. I know that this year they struggled placing the clinical program on internship; so that is something I would research, or at least inquire about before accepting any offers. After changing from a PhD to a PsyD program, the environment shifted away from student concerns to a more "bottom line" focus for the institution. Keep this mind and you might fare better.

i am currently a student at yeshiva and i would not recommend this program to anyone..

psychgal80--yeah, interviewed via phone on march 16... there might be a second round with my POI, probably not in person.... probably take 2wks for a response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Has ANYONE besides that first person on 1/4 heard anything from U Mass Boston? It says on their website that if you get an invite you should be notified before Feb 17th. I would assume that means they send out invites on a rolling basis. Just want to know if that's true or not. So if any of you have interviews there, please let me know (post/pm). No POI info necessary, just curious to know if they've given out any more invites since then.

Has ANYONE besides that first person on 1/4 heard anything from U Mass Boston? It says on their website that if you get an invite you should be notified before Feb 17th. I would assume that means they send out invites on a rolling basis. Just want to know if that's true or not. So if any of you have interviews there, please let me know (post/pm). No POI info necessary, just curious to know if they've given out any more invites since then.

Wrong year.

Case Western Reserve is still reviewing applications. I was told that interview invites should be sent by the third week of February, but it could be sooner.
I was contacted by Case Western University on 1/29. I am invited to interview with them on 2/26. There is another interview day on 2/19, we were given the option to choose from either date.

I was contacted by Case Western University on 1/29. I am invited to interview with them on 2/26. There is another interview day on 2/19, we were given the option to choose from either date.

This is LAST YEAR'S thread!!!!

Hi, has anyone ever had to do a writing sample during the interview? Wright State University's Clinical Psy D program said they have all the interviewees complete a writing sample to examine our writing skills....Can anyone tell me what the topics might be like? Is it like the GRE writing section? (I feel like it's the GRE all over again! :eek:)

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.