OFFICIAL 2009 Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone found a current list of clinical program rankings, and/or all-around psych program rankings? :cool:

I know that to an extent, rankings are not particularly meaningful for personal decision-making about school attendance, since so much depends on your interest and your POI, but I was just curious if anyone had a current list to use as a general guide.

Depending on what criteria one uses to rank the programs, you may may get different lists. The current edition of the Insider's Guide to Graduate Programs in Clinical and Counseling Psychology lists fairly recent data regarding the publication rate of faculty at various training programs so long as they have a clinical or counseling psychology training program. However, the source they cite included any psych grad program, so you might want to look into the original source of the Insider's guide (I can't recall what the source was right now).

Members don't see this ad.

i heard Maryland might be waiting on the state budget...it is strange that no one seems to have heard anything from them though...

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that too and haven't received a rejection yet, so let me know what they say when you call (if you don't mind) :)

I called today. All interviews have been conducted according to the contact I spoke with. She mentioned being offered a spot in their master's program.

QUESTION to all- Is it a sound choice to start in a MA program with the hopes of reapplying to a Ph.D. program and transferring credits, thereby limiting extra time and money getting your Ph.D.? I bet they don't transfer any credits. Plus I've heard CU has had some probs with accreditation?

Thanks to everyone. Oh, another question- those who don't get in this year, will you reapply and what is your age?

Tks!

I called today. All interviews have been conducted according to the contact I spoke with. She mentioned being offered a spot in their master's program.

QUESTION to all- Is it a sound choice to start in a MA program with the hopes of reapplying to a Ph.D. program and transferring credits, thereby limiting extra time and money getting your Ph.D.? I bet they don't transfer any credits. Plus I've heard CU has had some probs with accreditation?

Thanks to everyone. Oh, another question- those who don't get in this year, will you reapply and what is your age?

Tks!

Interviews for the PhD program are Wednesday. If you want more info about the MA program at TC, I would be happy to answer any questions you have, so feel free to PM me. Also, I am not sure where you heard that about accreditation, but it is not true, at least according to my advisor and other faculty members there. In terms of transferring MA credits to the PhD, they transfer about half of them, essentially cutting your time in the PhD program down 1-2 years.

Also something to keep in mind: A few professors told me (so don't blame me if I'm wrong haha) that much of the ranking is taken from the research and type of the program. Thus, if you are interested in a scientist-practitioner model school,they will likely be ranked lower than places who have the clinical scientist model. However, there are some exceptions to this rule but I think generally the ranking of your school is due to the prestige of research coming from that insitution.

Has anyone found a current list of clinical program rankings, and/or all-around psych program rankings? :cool:

I know that to an extent, rankings are not particularly meaningful for personal decision-making about school attendance, since so much depends on your interest and your POI, but I was just curious if anyone had a current list to use as a general guide.

Program rankings vary a fair bit depending on the criteria being used to rank them but here's a list that seems more or less to match up with most of what I've seen:

http://www.socialpsychology.org/clinrank.htm

The socialpsychology.org rankings are based solely on the number of publications and citations, which can be heavily skewed based on one single researcher and might not reflect the quality of the program as a whole. They also were based on data from several years ago.

Not that this set of rankings is "better," but just to provide a different perspective, here are the U.S. News and World Report rankings, which were based on peer assessment surveys conducted in the fall of 2007:

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/grad/cps/search

Here's how the website describes the methodology:

"All the health rankings are based solely on the results of peer assessment surveys sent to deans, other administrators, and/or faculty at accredited degree programs or schools in each discipline. All schools surveyed in a discipline were sent the same number of surveys. Respondents rated the academic quality of programs on a 5-point scale: outstanding (5 points), strong (4), good (3), adequate (2), or marginal (1). They were instructed to select "don't know" if they did not have enough knowledge to rate a program. Only fully accredited programs in good standing during the survey period are ranked. Those schools with the highest average scores appear."

Got a phone call today for an invite to Widener's PsyD program interview for this Friday. How have other people's interviews gone at Widener?

So far any interviews I've had are with my POIs that I've listed either on the application on in my personal statement; however, I just received a snail-mail letter from the program that I'll be interviewing with this weekend and the names listed as to whom will be interviewing me didn't even mention one of my listed professors.

I even looked up info on each person and saw that, for at least the one person, their interests are nowhere near my own.

How do I prepare?

Look up my interviewers work? Rely on the POIs I listed?

I'm kinda stuck on how to proceed, so any information is greatly appreciated!

Can someone provide a list of rankings similar to that one, bbut for Counseling Psychology Ph.D./Psy.D.'s??

Jon

Has anyone who interviewed heard back from VCU? It's my top choice! My interview was 2/6 and I'm freaking out...

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone heard from Northeastern on 1/23 who had applied early. The interview is this Friday, but when I called late last week, they were not done inviting people yet. Has anyone heard from Northeastern at all late last week/this week?

Also, does anyone know if they have another interview day?

Also, can everyone tell this is(probably now WAS) my top choice?:(

That one I have seen also and I don't think it's reliable as some of those programs no longer exist (University of Southern California, Stanford University, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill)

Jon

So i've gone to one interview and read like 8 articles by the person. I talked about/ used ZERO of the articles in the interview. I have another this weekend with 2 POIs and I'm wondering how many people think I should read. How many have you guys been reading from your POIs? And did you talk about them/ in what context did you use them? Thanks!
Morgan

So i've gone to one interview and read like 8 articles by the person. I talked about/ used ZERO of the articles in the interview. I have another this weekend with 2 POIs and I'm wondering how many people think I should read. How many have you guys been reading from your POIs? And did you talk about them/ in what context did you use them? Thanks!
Morgan

I've had 5 interviews so far and for each one I read a bunch of articles by my POI. I never even ended up talking about them at all. Still, I think it's good to have background knowledge about their research anyways just so that you can answer any questions they may ask. Also, it is helpful in coming up with some ideas for future research that you could do that builds upon their prior research.

I've been reading around two per person, ranging up to six for one of my POIs. However, like you, I haven't really discussed any of them so far.

Thanks guys!
I've read about 4 for one of them so far. The other one (luckily co authored one- so one down for him, and apparently they are married?!) I have been focusing on main concepts, how they run the study and future directions. So far my interviews went like this 6 times: "So, tell me a little bit about yourself" I give my schpiel for 5 minutes.. then they say "do you have any questions for me?" and the next 25 minutes is me trying to come up with questions haha. I'll be happy when this weekend (and this whole process) is over!:)

I have a lot of trouble with "Tell me about yourself" for some reason. It's hard figuring out when to say personal stuff vs. professional stuff.

It's great when you get to the last interviewer and basically have no more questions because they've all been answered, haha.

I always give the obligatory story about where I have worked and what I have been doing this semester. Then I throw in a little joke about loving the Red Sox and throw in a little dimple for effect. My professor told me to play it safe by telling about myself professionally. During the interview though I try to find some little thing in common with them or something I know about them (One I could tell was from where my family is from because of her accent. We talked a little bit about that and the area I live in because she comes there frequently. One loved one of my professors so we talked about the class, one had a labradoodle which is similar to my dogs- cockapoos, and the other i had met his daughter the night before and talked about how cute and hilarious she was) I found made the interviews professional yet still personal enough that they'd remember me.

That's great, until you interview with a Yankees fan! Haha.

The one time I mentioned that I'm a singer, the interviewer had an interest in that as well. It was cool.

I dunno, sometimes I think I'd prefer singing because the "answer' is pre-written. ;)

I had some really difficult questions at one interview. You can PM me if you want to know; I'm not comfortable putting them on this thread in case someone can identify me (which people probably already have, but hey, I don't want to make it any easier).

They've changed the interview format slightly from past years. There's now going to be a 20 minute individual interview with faculty followed by a 20 minute group interview (with 2 faculty and 1 grad student I believe), with the "extra" time left over to talk to current students :)

Anyone interviewing at 12:30pm this Friday?

Has anybody received a rejected letter or something in that nature from Rutgers for their clinical PsyD. program??

Hello, I am just wondering what the policy is for thanking student hosts. I figured I would send them a email, but is something more expected? I don't think my hosts even gave me their addresses specifically, but I'm wondering if people usually send a thank you gift, or if this was something I was supposed to bring with me?
Thanks!

Hello, I am just wondering what the policy is for thanking student hosts. I figured I would send them a email, but is something more expected? I don't think my hosts even gave me their addresses specifically, but I'm wondering if people usually send a thank you gift, or if this was something I was supposed to bring with me?
Thanks!

Personally, i brought something for my hosts - i've heard of people bringing things like dunkin donuts gift cards, box of chocolates, or something local to their home town (like maple syrup if you're from VT). I've also heard of applicants sending thank yous after the fact, like flowers for example :) Anything is a nice gesture - i would definitely write an email (so it gets there faster) and follow up with flowers or something?

I asked this on another thread (To stay with a graduate student during interviews) and the response was that a thank you note is plenty. Make sure you don't go too far overboard (I would consider sending flowers overboard) bc you don't want them thinking you're trying too hard or trying to influence the decision making process. I think bringing something small and local is fine, an email thank you is fine, and a handwritten thank you is fine too.

At one interview my host took me out for dinner with a few other people and I paid for her meal. It's nice because they've chosen it and it's just a really simple thank you. I like doing that when I'm the guest (paying for something for the person), especially when they are taking me out on their own time.

I asked this on another thread (To stay with a graduate student during interviews) and the response was that a thank you note is plenty. Make sure you don't go too far overboard (I would consider sending flowers overboard) bc you don't want them thinking you're trying too hard or trying to influence the decision making process. I think bringing something small and local is fine, an email thank you is fine, and a handwritten thank you is fine too.

A note/e-mail is definitely appreciated. I don't think there is any expectation, which makes a TY note / e-mail nice...but not trying too hard.

Has anybody received a rejected letter or something in that nature from Rutgers for their clinical PsyD. program??

Their interview day is March 2nd, so I'm guessing they're done with invites. I spoke to the secretary last week, and she gave me the same impression (though no definitive answer). theoretically, if someone can't come at the last minute, they may invite someone else, but I doubt that chances are any good at this point :(.

Their interview day is March 2nd, so I'm guessing they're done with invites. I spoke to the secretary last week, and she gave me the same impression (though no definitive answer). theoretically, if someone can't come at the last minute, they may invite someone else, but I doubt that chances are any good at this point :(.

don't lose hope: i turned down an interview yesterday at a program i was no longer as interested in as the others and hopefully this gives my POI enough time to invite someone else to interview for the program (the interview is next weekend). It happens and i'm sure i'm not the only one. I think we all realize how tough this process is and no one wants to sit on multiple offers if they don't have to, knowing how many people are still waiting to hear. The etiquette i've heard is as soon as you have multiple offers, in writing, you chose one and let the other know asap. If you are still waiting on other offers this helps you also so you're never sitting on more than one (top choice of the two) offer at a time. I know how tough this has been this year especially with funding issues and schools not sending out official invites in writing, but once you have official word it's a good idea to make a decision since you're not only helping out the school but also other fellow applicants, waiting for news. Just my .02 :)

don't lose hope: i turned down an interview yesterday at a program i was no longer as interested in as the others and hopefully this gives my POI enough time to invite someone else to interview for the program (the interview is next weekend). It happens and i'm sure i'm not the only one. I think we all realize how tough this process is and no one wants to sit on multiple offers if they don't have to, knowing how many people are still waiting to hear. The etiquette i've heard is as soon as you have multiple offers, in writing, you chose one and let the other know asap. If you are still waiting on other offers this helps you also so you're never sitting on more than one (top choice of the two) offer at a time. I know how tough this has been this year especially with funding issues and schools not sending out official invites in writing, but once you have official word it's a good idea to make a decision since you're not only helping out the school but also other fellow applicants, waiting for news. Just my .02 :)

And we who hope we're in the second tier thank you for it.

That came out sounding kind of bitter. And I am a little bitter. But, genuinely, not even a tiny bit toward you or your ilk.

I want to take this time to say to anybody that has lost all hope...Do NOT give up! This is my second year applying. Last year I did not even get an interview and because of that, this year I was very pessimistic about the whole thing. I have great credentials (years of research, publications, conferences, 2 years undergraduate teaching experience, and good GPA) but what I did NOT have was great GRE scores (above average but not excellent). I assumed that would keep me out of the running. This year however, I found the school I was meant to be at. Not only were they willing to overlook the GRE scores, they were so enthusiastic about me. Everything happens for a reason, now I see the reason. I didn't get in last year because I didn't apply to the right school for me. This year I did and it worked out. Just don't give up people!

Last edited:
Has anyone interviews yet at hofstra or st Johns and have any useful info?

Also, I need a weakness, any ideas?

For this question, I think that common/universal weaknesses are great to point out in yourself. It is also good to end your response with something about how you are working on the weakness in order to alleviate it. So something like this might work: "I sometimes feel unsure of myself in new situations, which decreases my ability to perform to my fullest potential. I have recognized this fact about myself, and it has been reccommended to me to remind myself in these situations that all I can do is try my best and that I am a capable and experienced person." I probably wouldn't use that exactly, but you get the idea.

I usually give a real weakness, but then describe a situation where I worked hard to overcome it and reflect on what I learned from the experience. My example is stats, and I talk about how math is a harder for me than other areas but with hard work etc. my professor asked me to work as a stats tutor. I've learned that I need to have confidence in my abilities and that with consistency and determination I can overcome difficulties. I think profs recognize b-s answers, like "Sometimes I am too dedicated to my work".

Invited for an interview either 2/28 or 3/7
I'm really glad that I double checked to make sure my application has been reviewed!

Has anyone been on at interview yet to C.W. Post for their clinical PsyD. program?? ive read alot of posts talking about the brooklyn campum but not the CW Post campus...Also if anybody has interviewed at Pace, i was wondering how the day went and if they could let me know what the course of events were....thanx guys!!

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Austin? My online application status doesn't say that I've been rejected, yet I haven't heard from anyone at the university. I even tried calling/emailing the dept. secretary (as well as emailing my POI) and haven't gotten any response.

Is anyone still waiting to hear from Austin? My online application status doesn't say that I've been rejected, yet I haven't heard from anyone at the university. I even tried calling/emailing the dept. secretary (as well as emailing my POI) and haven't gotten any response.

Same here!

Has anyone heard from U of Hawaii at Manoa? Any info would be great. I'm wondering if I should call them...:scared:

hi! anyone know anything about university of pittsburgh's clinical/developmental joint phd program? i know the clinical interviews were today - anyone know if they already interviewed too? thanks!

Does anyone that interviewed for St Johns Clinical PhD on friday have any useful info? Did you get asked any crazy questions in your interview?

thanks

I interviewed for a fellowship that has lots of applicants, and I was the very first interview, so I'm not going to find out for a month!

I'm going to send thank you cards to the two people I interviewed with, as well as the person in charge of the program. Would it be appropriate to include my business card in it? I forgot to give it to them, and I don't them to forget my details about where I work! :D Or to rephrase...would there by HARM in including it?

Good luck to anyone interviewing at NSU on Monday! I won't be around for the social, but I'll be around on interview day. Feel free to say hi if we cross paths, (I think I'm the only Tim in the program).

Status
Not open for further replies.