Official 2010 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shift_roro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As it nears the end of January, I got nothing but the rank list on my mind. I think I have an idea as to how I'll rank my top 5, but need help ranking the programs after that.

I'd appreciate any opinions:

Jefferson
St Luke's-Roosevelt
Maryland
Temple
Stony Brook
Downstate
UMDNJ/RWJ
UMDNJ/Newark
St Vincent's

Members don't see this ad.

As it nears the end of January, I got nothing but the rank list on my mind. I think I have an idea as to how I'll rank my top 5, but need help ranking the programs after that.

I'd appreciate any opinions:

Jefferson
St Luke's-Roosevelt
Maryland
Temple
Stony Brook
Downstate
UMDNJ/RWJ
UMDNJ/Newark
St Vincent's

Just break it down by location but if none of that matters, then of that list, Jefferson seems like the best (st. luke's would probably be 2nd). And as always, take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt because sadly, a lot of fellow residents will want you to not rank a place they want as highly to increase their shot of matching (but i'm sure you know that already - just thought i'd mention it)

Philadelphia - Jefferson > Temple

NY - St Luke's Roosevelt > Stony Brook > Downstate (didn't put St. Vincents because i know nothing about it -- don't have any friends that interviewed there nor did i bother to look into this one in NY)

NJ - RWJ vs NJMS (when it comes to variety and complexity, NJMS wins but location wise, RWJ is much much nicer to be in with better overall facilities)

Maryland - a few years ago i heard it was a bit rough but I heard its really awesome now there. The only thing that I remember hearing is that they have increased the number of ICU rotations that you do to i think 8-9? someone correct me on that. Personally, that would be a big turn off for me

Per my perspective:

Not a bad list.

You can get great training at most of the programs you'd listed. What do you want out of things? Transplants? Strong regional? Trauma? How about where you prefer to live? That might matter most.

I think a sleeper that you have in there is Stony Brook. Awesome chairman and great program director. Good didactics. Great lifestyle. Easy access to NYC. Residents are getting excellent fellowships. Very solid training without killing yourself.

Only caveat would be Downstate.

dc

Members don't see this ad :)
Same deal. Have my top choices picked but trying to rank these. Independent of location and based strictly on quality of the program and national reputation/opportunities after graduation for jobs or fellowship, anybody have any thoughts?

University of Rochester
University of Kentucky
University of Vermont
Rush University
Mayo-AZ*
Penn State

Thanks in advance!

Would someone be able to help me rank these in order of reputation? Assume location and fit is not an issue.

Loyola University Program
Maine Medical Center Program
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center Program
Baystate Medical Center/Tufts University School of Medicine Program
St Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center Program
Albert Einstein College of Medicine Program
University of Rochester Program
Case Western Reserve University (MetroHealth) Program
University Hospitals Case Medical Center Program
Western Pennsylvania Hospital/Temple University Program
Penn State University/Milton S Hershey Medical Center Program
Tufts Medical Center Program
Caritas St Elizabeth's Medical Center Program

Last edited:
I thought U of Rochester was an extraordinary program - and I mean top 10 when I say extraordinary.
- great trauma
- transplant
- very solid CCM
- excellent OB

dc

I'll just keep replying until my fingers hurt.

Mercy will no longer exist and will become part of the current UPMC/University of Pittsburgh residency program; assuming everything else is equal outside of the hospital, this is the best program that you have listed and is among the very best programs in the USA. Happy residents, decent moonlighting, transplant/burns/trauma/academics, good lifestyle, great faculty, HUGE volumes. Can do two months in Italy doing transplant. Extraordinary.

Rochester is excellent. I have a friend that is very happy at St. Luke's. Case gives excellent training.

dc

Same deal. Have my top choices picked but trying to rank these. Independent of location and based strictly on quality of the program and national reputation/opportunities after graduation for jobs or fellowship, anybody have any thoughts?

University of Rochester
University of Kentucky
University of Vermont
Rush University
Mayo-AZ*
Penn State

Thanks in advance!

mayo AZ > penn st > rush ?>= uky

sorry can't help you with where rochester and vt fit in there

anyone really dig Albany Medical Center?? I was really impressed with the faculty and program in general.

Kind of a "sleeper" program, no? Curious to see what others felt about it.

cf

University of Pittsburgh Medical Center Medical Education (Mercy) Program

i dont know about a lot of those places but of those i know:
dartmouth > upmc > penn st > UH case > UH metrohealth

Beth Israel Deaconess
UPMC Mercy
NYU
UC Irvine
Maryland
Georgetown
St. Luke's Roosevelt
Albert Einstein
UPitt

My list would be as follow
1- BID (clearly a strong program .. probably don't even have to ask to rank it #1)
2- UPitt (awesome program - actually its strong in all of its specialties)
3- NYU (expensive to live in but residents are very happy)
4- California ... i mean UC irvine (hey, its cali... surfs up)
5- St. Lukes (great housing, middle of manhattan, lots of regional)
6- Georgetown
7- Albert Einstein (would have been higher but i haven't been hearing too many good things about it on this forum - a friend of mind in non-anesthesia says the anesthesia residents are tired and not all that happy - perks of course is cheap cheap housing and tons of money for food)
8- maryland (lots of ICU time... blech.. not my thing but if you don't mind 8-9 months, move it higher)
9- UPMC ( i know nothing of this one so can't put it higher )

Members don't see this ad :)
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
U of Michigan
Vermont
Nebraska
Medical College of Wisconsin
Penn State
Maine Medical Center

Thoughts?

Beth Israel Deaconess
UPMC Mercy
NYU
UC Irvine
Maryland
Georgetown
St. Luke's Roosevelt
Albert Einstein
UPitt

I think University of Pittsburgh is an extraordinary program, but I'm biased ;)

Keep in mind that UPMC Mercy will no longer exist as a program, as it will merge with UPMC/University of Pittsburgh. So that will be a class of 20, clinical experience spread over several hospitals, etc.

Very nice list. I think Pittsburgh is the best training. I have friends that are very happy at SLR and BID (and BID gives you a nice "name"). I thought NYU was awesome. Did not interview at Maryland but have heard great things.

dc

Last edited:
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
U of Michigan
Vermont
Nebraska
Penn State
Maine Medical Center

Thoughts?

1 Maine (a bit bias here, many will put the programs below above maine)
2 Dartmouth
3 U Mich
4 Vermont or MCW or Wake

:thumbup:

Last edited:

University of Rochester
University of Kentucky
University of Vermont
Rush University
Mayo-AZ*
Penn State

Thanks in advance!

1. Mayo-Az (can still rotate at roch, nicer location/weather, still get the name, the mayo networking is huge)
2. U of Roch
3. U of Vermont
4. U of Kentucky or Rush or Penn State

:thumbup::thumbup:

1. Jefferson
2. St Lukes

agreed with EternalMD

Just break it down by location but if none of that matters, then of that list, Jefferson seems like the best (st. luke's would probably be 2nd). And as always, take everyone's opinion with a grain of salt because sadly, a lot of fellow residents will want you to not rank a place they want as highly to increase their shot of matching (but i'm sure you know that already - just thought i'd mention it)

NY - St Luke's Roosevelt > Stony Brook > Downstate (didn't put St. Vincents because i know nothing about it -- don't have any friends that interviewed there nor did i bother to look into this one in NY)

NJ - RWJ vs NJMS (when it comes to variety and complexity, NJMS wins but location wise, RWJ is much much nicer to be in with better overall facilities)

Maryland - a few years ago i heard it was a bit rough but I heard its really awesome now there. The only thing that I remember hearing is that they have increased the number of ICU rotations that you do to i think 8-9? someone correct me on that. Personally, that would be a big turn off for me

Thanks. Disregarding location, how would you rank the rest of the list after 1. Jefferson and 2. SLR?

Maryland
Temple
Stony Brook
Downstate
UMDNJ/RWJ
UMDNJ/Newark
St Vincent's

Thanks. Disregarding location, how would you rank the rest of the list after 1. Jefferson and 2. SLR?

Maryland
Temple
Stony Brook
Downstate
UMDNJ/RWJ
UMDNJ/Newark
St Vincent's

3. Stonybrook vs. Maryland
4. UMDNJ/RWJ
5. Temple
6. Others.

Would someone be able to help me rank these in order of reputation? Assume location and fit is not an issue.

1. Maine (location bias, portland is awesome)
2. St. Lukes
3. Dartmouth
4. U of Roch
5. UH Case
6. Loyola
7. Tufts
8. Penn State vs. West Penn
9. Baystate vs Caritas vs MetroH
:thumbup:

Last edited:
Dartmouth
Wake Forest
U of Michigan
Vermont
Nebraska
Penn State
Maine Medical Center

Looked at all of the programs last year except for nebraska and wake. Based on reputation I would rank:
1. Michigan (overall best package: training would be excellent, tons of research, strong research and training in every area. Only neg is the intern year)
2. Dartmouth (best pain and regional training, only neg is that its in NH, in the middle of nowhere. Town is very small)
3. MCW (equal if not better than michigan in terms of training. Ranked lower than Dartmouth only b/c program has FMGs, personally not a fan of milwaukee.
4. Wake
5. Penn State chairman is awesome
6. Vermont:cool town
7. Maine medical center (winters would suck, summers would be amazing.
8. Nebraska (only cause i know nothing of this program)

Another list for your opinions:

U of Roch
Vermont
Albany
SUNY Upstate
Mayo - Rochester
UPMC
Cleveland Clinic
University of Buffalo

Thanks!

I can only add info to the Penn State and UPMC mercy programs but here's my two cents if it helps:

Penn State - everyone seems happy, wonderful technology, only question mark about the entire program is willingness to live in hershey - if dont mind you will probably achieve all your career goals

UPMC Mercy - did join with UPitt but doesnt go into effect until 2012 - therefore you will only get 1.5 years of it at max - mercy still selects their own residents and from the interview it seemed like didnt' really know how it's going to really work just yet - sounds like you just get a couple months with the UPitt sites/residents - but you do get a UPitt degree if that is what matters to you - program has a small feel, equipment is dated, but if you really wanna be in pittsburgh thats probably the biggest draw to it

To quote: meathead

"UPMC Mercy - did join with UPitt but doesnt go into effect until 2012 - therefore you will only get 1.5 years of it at max - mercy still selects their own residents and from the interview it seemed like didnt' really know how it's going to really work just yet - sounds like you just get a couple months with the UPitt sites/residents - but you do get a UPitt degree if that is what matters to you - program has a small feel, equipment is dated, but if you really wanna be in pittsburgh thats probably the biggest draw to it"

Were I currently applying, I would research the above information. I do not believe this to be true. I am under the impression that starting next academic year - so the class that enters CA1 year in July 2010 - will enter as "UPMC" (no longer UPMC and UPMC Mercy). IF you are applying to UPMC Mercy with the thought that it will be a very small class size with limited number of hospitals to rotate through, it would be of benefit to verify this.

dc

any insight on my list would be appreciated (location is not a factor):

Indiana
Kentucky
MCW
U of Buffalo
U of Rochester
Suny-downstate
NYMC-Valhalla
Albert Einstein

Indiana
Kentucky
MCW
U of Buffalo
U of Rochester
Suny-downstate
NYMC-Valhalla
Albert Einstein

Of those, I would say that MCW is a clear leader of the pack. They have excellent research going on, a large and diverse case volume, and will leave you very well trained. We actually had their Chair, Dr. Warltier, out as a visiting professor at our program earlier in the year to talk about his cardiac research.

Milwaukee is horribly UNDERrated as a city and has a lot to offer (you really do get used to the cold). I spent four years there in medical school and absolutely LOVED it (even though I didn't expect to when I moved there).

Another advantage (in my opinion) is you get to train at several different hospitals, each offering a different perspective (VA vs. Academic Center vs. Private). Having that breadth of experience is quite helpful.

Just my opinion, for what it's worth.

Indiana
Kentucky
MCW
U of Buffalo
U of Rochester
Suny-downstate
NYMC-Valhalla
Albert Einstein

1. MCW vs U of Roch
2. Kentucky
3. Indiana
The rest.

Another list for your opinions:

U of Roch
Vermont
Albany
SUNY Upstate
Mayo - Rochester
UPMC
Cleveland Clinic
University of Buffalo

Thanks!

nice list, going to be hard ranking the top 3 programs.

1. Mayo Roch
2. Cleveland Clinic vs. UPMC (location edge)
3. U of Roch
4. Vermont
The rest.

Last edited:
ok i kind of have a list in my head already and still need to interview at a few places. but i was just wondering what you guys thought of these programs. (listed in no particular order)

St. Barnabas, NJ
St. Joseph's, NJ
Penn State
Case Western (MetroHealth)
U of Toledo
Wayne State
U of Missouri Columbia

Anybody feel like comparing UTSW, UAB, and Indiana?

can only comment on UAB, i loved it when i interviewed there in 2007. top notch facilities, a dedicated anesthesiology library and librarian, good relationship with surgery, a large amount of research with a tremendous amount of NIH funding, and the best moonlighting i saw on the interview trail. truly happy residents there.

i even liked birmingham, it was just a lot farther from my family than most other places i interivewed at - i still ended up ranking it second, however.

ok i kind of have a list in my head already and still need to interview at a few places. but i was just wondering what you guys thought of these programs. (listed in no particular order)

St. Barnabas, NJ
St. Joseph's, NJ
Penn State
U of Toledo
Wayne State
U of Missouri Columbia

penn state is head and shoulders above the other programs on this list, but i'm sure you already knew that. i guess i would put wayne state next; after that, i'm not sure.

This simple weight base system might be useful for some:

Make a spread sheet

Give each category a percentage (must add up to 100%)

Give each program a score of 1-10 in each category

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Spouse (X 0.40) = A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Location (X 0.30) = B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Gut Feeling (X 0.10) = C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Reputation (X 0.10) = D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Quality of Residents' Life (X 0.10) = E

Sum (A,B,C,D,E) = for each program

Hit the arrange column, bam! :)

I'm sure programs have a similar point system for applicants:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 USMLE Scores (X 0.40) = A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 GPA (X 0.30) = B
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 AOA Status (X 0.10) = C
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Interviews (X 0.10) = D
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Ties to area and Misc. (X 0.10) = E

Last edited:
Could use some help here...have NO idea where to start since all of the programs are great! Location could be an issue, but for the most part I think I could be happy anywhere...What is your take on the following?

University of Kentucky
University of Maryland
George Washington University
Mayo Clinic - Rochester
New York University
University of Arizona
University of California Los Angeles
University of California Irvine
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Oregon Health Sciences University

Could use some help here...have NO idea where to start since all of the programs are great! Location could be an issue, but for the most part I think I could be happy anywhere...What is your take on the following?

University of Kentucky
University of Maryland
George Washington University
Mayo Clinic - Rochester
New York University
University of Arizona
University of California Los Angeles
University of California Irvine
Cedars-Sinai Medical Center
Oregon Health Sciences University

1. OHSU (location ++) vs. Mayo
2. California Programs vs. NYU
3. Arizona
4. GW (location ++) vs. Maryland
5. Kentucky

Last edited:
Hey Guys!

I have another one for you......I really appreciate any responses...I know how busy we all are, but sometimes it just helps to have someone else's perspective.

Hopkins
Jefferson
U Penn
Temple
St Joes- NJ
U of Mass
Brigham and Womens
Beth Isreal Deaconess
Mayo- Rochester
UNC
Wake Forrest
UWV

Thanks again!

Macy -

Great list to choose from. I'd look at your list this way:

a) Do I want to be in a big city?
--> if yes, do I want to be in Philly?
b) How important is the name to me?

All things equal:

1) The Brigham
2) BID
3) Mayo
4) Hopkins
5) Wake
6) UNC
......the rest

dc

St. Barnabas, NJ
St. Joseph's, NJ
Penn State
U of Toledo
Wayne State
U of Missouri Columbia

RJ -

Not a bad list; I know you were working hard to get the interviews that you'd be comfortable with. It looks okay, bro. Numerically you have a great shot at matching, and at a nice program at that.

If I were you, I might do:

1) Penn State
2) Case vs Wayne State
3) Wayne State vs Case

dc

Macy -

Great list to choose from. I'd look at your list this way:

a) Do I want to be in a big city?
--> if yes, do I want to be in Philly?
b) How important is the name to me?

All things equal:

1) The Brigham
2) BID
3) Mayo
4) Hopkins
5) Wake
6) UNC
......the rest

dc

Wake and UNC above Penn? :confused:

RJ -

Not a bad list; I know you were working hard to get the interviews that you'd be comfortable with. It looks okay, bro. Numerically you have a great shot at matching, and at a nice program at that.

If I were you, I might do:

1) Penn State
2) Case vs Wayne State
3) Wayne State vs Case

dc

thanks, keeping my fingers crossed:xf:

i'll post where i am going once i find out after the match. I know I am going to bust my butt and be one of the top residents the program I match into has ever seen, just because I am so enthusiastic about the specialty of Anesthesiology. I just hope I was able to show that during my interviews.

thanks again.

Hey Guys!

I have another one for you......I really appreciate any responses...I know how busy we all are, but sometimes it just helps to have someone else's perspective.

Hopkins
Jefferson
U Penn
Temple
St Joes- NJ
U of Mass
Brigham and Womens
Beth Isreal Deaconess
Mayo- Rochester
UNC
Wake Forrest
UWV

Thanks again!

agree with big dan, great list!

1. BID vs. Brigham
2. Mayo
3. Hopkins
4. Upenn
5. UNC
6. Wake vs. Jefferson

Last edited:
There seem to be some prolific posters here that seem to be in the know about programs enough to rank them. Thanks to all of those that are taking time out of their lives to help us occupy our minds until match day.

Would it not theoretically be possible to just make a rank list of all of the programs based upon the logic that must hold in order for this thread to be possible? :) Guess we don't have THAT much time...

Best of luck to all in this ridiculous process!

If you have a moment and want something to do:

Hopkins
MGH
BIDMC
Duke
UPMC
Emory
Cornell
Mt. Sinai
Northwestern
UChicago
Yale

Wake and UNC above Penn? :confused:

I know the cases they get are out of this world, it just wasn't the program for me, for various reasons. It ended up being the only program I interviewed at that I didn't rank.

Different strokes for different folks...

dc

Another great list. Kudos. Again, since most all of these will give you not only great training but also a great name, you could decide big city program vs not-as-big-a-city program.

My profoundly biased opinion, if location is not considered:

1. UPMC (my #1 last yr)
2. Duke (my #2 last yr)
3. BID
4. MGH
5. Hopkins
6&7 Cornell v Emory, Emory v Cornell
8. Mt. Sinai
...the rest

If you have a moment and want something to do:

Hopkins
MGH