Official 2010 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey guys,
i would like some opinions on this list, location doesnt matter to me. just want the best training i can get. pleaae rank these for me, thanks in advance.

in no particular order,

st luke's
albert einstein-montefiore
university of illinois-chicago
loyola
case western- UH
maine
umass

thanks again.

sorry for the bump but can anyone give me a little insight here on my list

Members don't see this ad.

I keep going back and forth on how to rank:
Yale
NYU
Cornell

What would you do? Thanks!

Guys, I need help!
I would prefer to stay on the east coast, because of my girlfriend:

New York Presbyterian Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY

New York University School Of Medicine

Beth Israel Deaconess Med Center-MA (a hospital of harvard)

Hosp of the University of Pennsylvania

Stanford Univ Progs-CA

Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY

St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY

Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY

U Southern California

Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY

Maimonides Med Ctr-NY

I understand that Stanford tops all the rest, but I would prefer to stay on the east coast. WHat do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
That's perfectly reasonable and it's not like Columbia or Penn are slouches.
Columbia would be my #1 if you like NYC. With the top 4 there you can pretty much do anything you want.

Columbia
Penn
BID
NYU
Cornell
Montefiore/st.lukes/maimonides/stony brook (since I don't know anything about them)
Stanford
USC

Guys, I need help!
I would prefer to stay on the east coast, because of my girlfriend:

New York Presbyterian Hosp-Columbia Univ Med Ctr-NY

New York University School Of Medicine

Beth Israel Deaconess Med Center-MA (a hospital of harvard)

Hosp of the University of Pennsylvania

Stanford Univ Progs-CA

Weill Cornell Med Ctr-NY

St Lukes-Roosevelt-NY

Stony Brook Teach Hosps-NY

U Southern California

Einstein/Montefiore Med Ctr-NY

Maimonides Med Ctr-NY

I understand that Stanford tops all the rest, but I would prefer to stay on the east coast. WHat do you guys think?

Wish I could delete posts. This needs more attention and only certain people check this thread :) Sorry for the waste of space.

Last edited:
Hey guys, here are my places. Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have heard recently that Penn State is malignant. Has anybody heard something similar?

In no particular order:

St Luke's Roosevelt
University of Kentucky
Henry Ford
Penn State
Maimonides
VCU
University Hospitals Case Western
WVU

THANKS!!!

Penn state malignant? Could you expand upon this since I'm seriously considering this program.....thanks!

Scott and white is also a program on its way up also. I was totally shocked when I rotated there. The number of procedures the residents get is incredible. As a student, I got to do 15 epidurals (about 8 of those thoracic) in about a week. Many residents do >1000 epidurals and >400 blocks. They have sweet hours (internal moonlighting after 3:30pm for $60/hr I think) and spend a lot of time hanging out with each other...on the lake, etc. The hospital is private, so it's a different patient population than I'm used to. They have great teaching attendings and the latest equipment. The biggest problem most people have with the program is that it's in Temple, TX.

I had heard not so good things about UT-Houston. I was pleasantly surprised at the interview (and the interview dinner). The new chair is an awesome lady and is a great asset. The interview day we did a pig trachea lab, which was really fun. It is a pretty big program and the residents do work very hard, but I like the direction that the program is moving. The residents seem to get along well and pretty much all know each other even though it's a huge program. They also work at Hermann (which sees more traumas than any hospital in the country) which is a plus, and have tons of fellowships availible.

When I interviewed at UT Houston one of my faculty interviewers told me that with my application/scores/etc I would be better off going to one of the other programs I had applied to. RED FLAG! Hopefully the program is improving.
And I will second Scott & White - if it was closer to family it would have been in my top 3. Loved their program.

Scott and white is also a program on its way up also. I was totally shocked when I rotated there. The number of procedures the residents get is incredible. As a student, I got to do 15 epidurals (about 8 of those thoracic) in about a week. Many residents do >1000 epidurals and >400 blocks.

Im going to call shenanigans on this one