Official 2010 Rank List Help Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SDP, as regards UPMC (again, like bigdan, I'm a resident here):

(1) Clinical volume: As the largest department/practice group in the country, UPMC administers a significant number of anesthetics annually (as I recall from my interview day a couple of years back, somewhere north of 110K/yr which will only continue to rise as the UPMC system acquires more hospitals).

(2) Case variety: As bigdan mentioned, we have exposure to a great mix of cases. There's every sort of transplant (heart, lung, liver, kidney, pancreas, multi-visceral, even the occasional hand; IIRC we did ~170 heart transplants last year). Very strong general and subspecialty experiences, including regional anesthesia (which was important to me as I like/recognize the utility of regional and, as such, want to be good at it but have little interest in doing a regional fellowship). Additionally, given the free standing women's and children's hospitals, we have high quality OB and peds anesthesia experiences.

(3) Practice settings: Given the numerous clinical sites we rotate through (admittedly, this can be viewed as either a positive or a negative depending on individual personality/outlook), we get to learn many different approaches, from big university hospital style to private practice like. Additionally, as CA-3 residents, we have the option to do two month rotations in either Ireland or Sicily (being interested in critical care, I'm looking forward to experiencing the European model of anesthesiology, which seems to place more emphasis on true perioperative care).

(4) Academics/research: A strong didactic program that the department is very committed to. Abundant research opportunities should you want them. For example, like bigdan, I arrived in Pittsburgh ~7 months ago and have written a book chapter and am working on a case report as well as an independent research project. Additionally, if you're interested in further training post-residency, UPMC offers fellowships in all of the sub-specialties.

(5) Department culture: As a field, I think that anesthesia tends to attract smart, laid back folks. This is certainly true of our program. I'm fortunate to have a great set of fellow residents. In general, the attendings are also very approachable, good teachers, and nice to work with. Also, residents are not the workhorses of this program.

(6) Reputation: Although likely not well known by lay-people outside of this area, I think that UPMC has a strong reputation within the medical community. Frankly, UPMC will never have the cache of MGH or Hopkins, but it is known for having a very strong training program (BTW, Mista Suprane is a Hopkins resident).

At the end of the day, there are many programs that can give you excellent training. As an applicant, your goal is to find the sweet spot between quality of training, reputation, location, and personal fit/feel (i.e. no program is perfect, find the one that's closest to perfect for you). The relative weight placed on each of these factors is, of course, a personal decision. I was fortunate enough to interview at a number of excellent/well known programs. I came away from these experiences with the impression that UPMC provided the best overall quality of training (depth/breadth of experience, etc...) and would be a good fit for me. Like you, I was somewhat skeptical about location but I've come to like Pittsburgh (I probably won't stay here post training but its a very reasonable, livable place to spend a few years in). In any case, I'm happy here and wish you and the other applicants best of luck in finding/matching at a place where you'll be happy.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This isn't my full rank list, but I wonder where you all would place...

Beaumont
Henry Ford
Toledo
Wayne State

...with the goal of getting a job in the area. Wayne and Henry Ford have made some changes in the past year, while Beaumont does have some uncertainty to it being a new program.

Last edited:
I think UPMC = Duke, anesthesiology-wise. Please don't mistake the naivety of others as me slighting UPMC.

I was only referring to the apologetic faculty members and national perception. Sorry for the misunderstanding, didn't mean to throw you under the bus.

I know I'm probably coming off sounding like a 'rankings *****' but when I post my rank list, I think it will be obvious that I'm far from it.

In any case, I'm happy here and wish you and the other applicants best of luck in finding/matching at a place where you'll be happy.

Thanks dude! My intention for this inquiry was to discover what made Pitt so good. You and bigdan have sold me and likely future applicants who come back to look at this thread. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
where at times it seemed that folks had a real fear that life ended with movement any further west than the Hudson River at the edge of Manhattan.

dc

I'm actually one of those people that would rather not leave nyc. My family and life is here,at the end of the day home is home. I always feel like an oddball when I say location is my biggest factor, but to me is important.

Nothing personal SexPanther, just my opinion. When I interviewed a couple of years back I rather liked both programs. And, much as I like NC, Nashville's a very cool city.

Fo' sho' lush, just my opinion too. We are talking about great programs here, the applicants need to figure out where they think they will fit in the best. I personally think Vandy is one of the best places in the country, just like you would say UPMC is, ProReal would say CCF is and Mista Supreme would probably vote for Hopkins.

Ultimately, you won't go wrong with any of these choices so other things come into play such as "fit", location, spouse etc.

I'm actually one of those people that would rather not leave nyc. My family and life is here,at the end of the day home is home. I always feel like an oddball when I say location is my biggest factor, but to me is important.

:thumbup: And that's cool too. That's exactly my point - different people like different things. I had the "luxury" (or is it misfortune?) of not being tied to any one specific factor that mandated me staying in a certain geographic region...

dc

Darko -

I haven't been out to Beaumont, but let me just put a word of support in for the PD there, Dr. Soto.

I worked under his guidance as a medical student, and did some research with him. He's an EXEMPLARY human being - very bright, well-organized, extremely motivated, disciplined, and I think he "gets it". And he's not gonna be anyone's punk. Beaumont seems to have great infrastructure and huge surgical volumes; I think Dr. Soto will help move things forward quite nicely.

dc

Hey everyone,

I'd appreciate some advice on ranking the following programs. Location is not a big deal. I just want great training and the ability to move around the country afterwards.

Virginia
UAB
Yale
U of Chicago
Columbia

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what the best program is in Texas?

Thanks!

I need rank help as well. I am fairly interested in Loyola, Tufts, T. Jefferson, Temple and U Mass. Any info is welcomed, especially about Loyola. Thanks!!

I am up against the fence with this one. I grew up in Philly and did all my schooling there. I haven't decided whether I should try new things and move away, or stay where I am comfortable around friends and family. Well...I guess I have a couple more weeks to figure things out. Good luck to you this match!!

Darko -

I haven't been out to Beaumont, but let me just put a word of support in for the PD there, Dr. Soto.

I worked under his guidance as a medical student, and did some research with him. He's an EXEMPLARY human being - very bright, well-organized, extremely motivated, disciplined, and I think he "gets it". And he's not gonna be anyone's punk. Beaumont seems to have great infrastructure and huge surgical volumes; I think Dr. Soto will help move things forward quite nicely.

dc

From my brief exposure, I will second this and reiterate my positive impression with Beaumont.

I will also say a bit about Toledo, as I spent a good bit of time in that department. It's a bit of a workhorse program, but that seems to be a strength because of the small size of the hospital (the residents end up feeling comfortable with anything from what I've heard from them). It's a small program, very personal, the Chair/PD is great and is very student and resident-centered. Of some of the recent grads (5 a year), 2 or 3 were RECRUITED to U of Michigan for peds fellowships (peds rotation is done there), 1 is going to CCF for cardiac, 1 is going to one of the Harvard programs for pain, and a couple are going into PP (1 in Washington state, which I hear is a pretty difficult market... correct me if that is a very mistaken impression, I got it from reading these forums). Hope that's helpful to people.

Best of luck to all!

Ok, I have trouble putting these 3 programs in order on my list:

WVU
OSU
Case (UH)

WVU and Case had very VERY happy residents, seems like great training, good moonlighting. OSU is adding a lot to critical care (my interest) and Columbus is a good town. Any thoughts on any of these? Thanks for any help.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone have any thoughts on what the best program is in Texas?

Applicant's perspective:

Opportunities/Potential = Baylor
Clinical Training = UT Southwestern

So for the midwest program list...here are my top 5. Let me know what you think. All advice is appreciated.

Iowa
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
WashU
Wisconsin

Hey guys, try these purposefully-alphabetically-listed nine programs on for size, with the following three ideas in mind:

1. Want to work hard, but not be abused (curious about CCF and UMiami in this regard).
2. Prefer Midwest since I'm from the region, but not tied down at all.
3. As far as fellowship, thinking about pain versus regional. Should probably make decision based on pain fellowship, right?

Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Rush University
SUNY-Downstate
University of Florida (Gainesville)
University of Illinois (Chicago)
University of Massachusetts
University of Miami
University of Michigan

Thanks in advance for any and all help -- all of us applicants really appreciate your efforts.

--IB

OK, just a quick survery.....which would you choose Northwestern or U of Chicago? And why?

So for the midwest program list...here are my top 5. Let me know what you think. All advice is appreciated.

Iowa
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
WashU
Wisconsin

Umich vs Mayo was a really tough choice for me. In the end I went with Michigan for the leadership (Tremper), HUGE alumni network (can go anywhere afterwards), relative independence (on my second look at Mayo I was surprised by how restricted the CA-2 was with respect to various aspects of a cardiac case... might've just been a one-time thing and/or my naivety), very well organized didactics/curriculum, and Ann Arbor (by far most importantly). But it was a close call since Mayo was so palatial and I felt almost like royalty walking through that place, along with lay-people generally knowing more about Mayo than Michigan (even though in medicine they've got a similar rep). I had a similar "vibe" from both, with similar high morale at both. Tough choice. Never applied to St Louis so can't help you with Wash U but obviously that'd be your other major consideration!

I'd be very grateful for advice. Am interested in cardiac anesthesia. Here's my current rank list:

1. MGH
2. Mayo
3. Yale
4. Brigham & Women's
5. Columbia
6. Beth Israel Deaconess
7. Washington University at St Louis
8. U Michigan, Ann Arbor
9. U Chicago
10. UCSF

Thanks in advance!

Iowa
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
WashU
Wisconsin

Michigan>Mayo>WashU>Iowa>wisconsin

I'd be very grateful for advice. Am interested in cardiac anesthesia. Here's my current rank list:

1. MGH
2. Mayo
3. Yale
4. Brigham & Women's
5. Columbia
6. Beth Israel Deaconess
8. U Michigan, Ann Arbor
9. U Chicago
10. UCSF

Thanks in advance!

Wow, thats a very impressive list -

I have a similar feeling with Yale that I will rank it highly, even ahead of MGH. I liked Columbia but I thought Sinai is the better program in NYC. It is really a tough choice for me - Yale vs Mich as my first choice...

I wonder why UCSF is so low on your list? i did not interview there but would appreciate your input.

Hey guys, try these purposefully-alphabetically-listed nine programs on for size, with the following three ideas in mind:

1. Want to work hard, but not be abused (curious about CCF and UMiami in this regard).
3. As far as fellowship, thinking about pain versus regional. Should probably make decision based on pain fellowship, right?

Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Rush University
SUNY-Downstate
University of Miami
University of Michigan

Thanks in advance for any and all help -- all of us applicants really appreciate your efforts.

--IB

Michigan vs The Clinic..

CCF has one of the best pain fellowship in the country. Both programs in the midwest. Mich residents seemed very happy, CCF has more international grads and seemed to work harder.

I wonder why UCSF is so low on your list? i did not interview there but would appreciate your input.

UCSF will also be lower on my list...the residents are decent (not as happy as other programs but at least okay). They just had the new PD and Chair at the same time and the faculty members are a little bit restless since no one knows which direction the chair is going to head towards. The PD seems reasonable but again, not super impressive. My gut feelings are telling me that they are still trying to figure out what their roles are at this point...

Also based on what I remembered during my interview day, the chair mentioned that he is looking into having a CRNA school (it doesn't bother me but it might for someone else). Also, the PD is trying to have more "selectives" during CA3 but I'm not sure how likely it is going to work out. If it doesn't, there is very little freedom during your CA3 year.

For me, the only strength for the program is its CCM (and the location!). One of the CA3s told me that for fellowship, CCM is probably the only one that's worth coming for.

Before my interview, I thought UCSF will be this amazing program that is parallel to lots of awesome east coast programs but after my interview, I wasn't impressed at all...Anyway, just my $0.02

Wow. There is a LOT more love on here for CCF than what I have encountered on the interview trail. I know for a fact it will be dead last on my list, behind many far less "prestigious" programs. Brand new PD, malignant reputation, 1/2 fmg's, located in Cleveland. Maybe this is a program that stands out to other applicants, but it just didn't for me.

1. MGH
2. Mayo
3. Yale
4. Brigham & Women's
5. Columbia
6. Beth Israel Deaconess
8. U Michigan, Ann Arbor
9. U Chicago
10. UCSF

Thanks in advance!

I interviewed at almost every one of these (except wash u and had to cancel BI and UCSF). Mine was something like:

1. UMichigan
2. Mayo
3. MGH
4. B&W
5. Columbia
6. UChicago
7. Yale
(can't comment on BI, WashU, UCSF)

Honestly I don't remember cardiac at other programs but Michigan's cardiac is phenomenal. I recommend you consider them especially if you are planning on ranking a place like Rochester, MN that highly. The name and feel are actually pretty similar to Mayo. Plus ann arbor is great.

I really hated Yale. Did not rank. Not because it was a bad program but I didn't like the people and residents can sometimes take like 10-12 calls a month.

I also preferred MGH to B&W like you. I liked mayo and michigan better in terms of overall program well-roundedness and schedules. Also I am already in a relationship so didn't need the singles scene. Plus since I'd been living in Boston I didn't mind a change.

Columbia's current program director did NOT sit well with me (that ppt presentation =/) but I prefer NYC to Chicago so that's why I chose NYC programs above Chicago ones.

Iowa
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
WashU
Wisconsin

1Mayo
2Mich
3WashU
4Wisconsin vs Iowa

Last edited:
I interviewed at almost every one of these (except wash u and had to cancel BI and UCSF). Mine was something like:

1. UMichigan
2. Mayo
3. MGH
4. B&W
5. Columbia
6. UChicago
7. Yale
(can't comment on BI, WashU, UCSF)

Honestly I don't remember cardiac at other programs but Michigan's cardiac is phenomenal. I recommend you consider them especially if you are planning on ranking a place like Rochester, MN that highly. The name and feel are actually pretty similar to Mayo. Plus ann arbor is great.

I really hated Yale. Did not rank. Not because it was a bad program but I didn't like the people and residents can sometimes take like 10-12 calls a month.

I also preferred MGH to B&W like you. I liked mayo and michigan better in terms of overall program well-roundedness and schedules. Also I am already in a relationship so didn't need the singles scene. Plus since I'd been living in Boston I didn't mind a change.

Columbia's current program director did NOT sit well with me (that ppt presentation =/) but I prefer NYC to Chicago so that's why I chose NYC programs above Chicago ones.

It's too bad you had to cancel BID...excellent cardiac anesthesia division, huge ECHO experience including an amazing TEE simulator.

1. MGH
2. Mayo
3. Yale
4. Brigham & Women's
5. Columbia
6. Beth Israel Deaconess
8. U Michigan, Ann Arbor
9. U Chicago
10. UCSF

Thanks in advance!

1. UCSF (Location wins here. It's SF, probably one of the hardest market to get into after residency if you don't have connection)
2. BID vs. Mayo
3. MGH
4. UMich
5. WashU vs. Columbia
6. U Chicago
7. Yale

impressive list!

There are some UCSF residents here who may help clarify things.

Last edited:

Cleveland Clinic
Henry Ford
Rush University
SUNY-Downstate
University of Miami
University of Michigan

--IB

1 U Mich
2 CCF
3 Miami
4 Chicago programs
5 Florida

Ok, I have trouble putting these 3 programs in order on my list:

WVU
OSU
Case (UH)

WVU and Case had very VERY happy residents, seems like great training, good moonlighting. OSU is adding a lot to critical care (my interest) and Columbus is a good town. Any thoughts on any of these? Thanks for any help.

Case > OSU > WVU based on location alone, cleveland might have more to offer.

Well, what about Case, OSU, and WVU not considering location? Reputation? Resident/faculty satisfaction? Appreciate any info!

It's too bad you had to cancel BID...excellent cardiac anesthesia division, huge ECHO experience including an amazing TEE simulator.

Would you mind commenting more on the cardiac training at BID?

I know that they have this great TEE simulator, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge...

also interested in any info anyone has to offer about the ohio state program...

Michigan actually has that same TEE simulator that BID has now, but BID definitely has the first of its kind in the nation.

Wow! Looks like Michigan is poised to have a record year.

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback & advice with the rank list process -- you guys are awesome

>stimmed, it's uncanny that we hit nearly the same places on the interview trail. Completely agree about the the ppt presentation at Columbia, haha. With regards to Michigan, I was also very impressed by Dr. Tremper and his leadership of the department, but the program arguably doesn't have the name-brand appeal of East-coast programs. I'm sure that our lists will change significantly in the next few weeks. We'll have to compare notes :)

>MCYan, With regards to UCSF, I'd strongly agree with DScully. The program has a tremendous amount of potential, especially with the upcoming opening of its Mission Bay campus and its new research/critical care tracks. However, I think the department hasn't fully settled down after the loss of Miller, and is still finding its legs under the new leadership. I'm sure that it'll return to top-tier status in a couple of years, but I'm holding off for now. I thought that UCSF residents and faculty were very smart and competent, but wish that they could chill out a bit [the small subset of people I interacted with were *very* intense folks]

>DScully, with regards to cardiac anesthesia in Boston, I've heard that the Brigham has the strongest program -- as a surrogate marker, they have 6 (?) fellows, compared to 4 at MGH and 1 at BI. I also wouldn't read too much in the TEE simulator at BID -- I was expecting something awesome, given its reported $100,000 price tag, but it's simply a lifesize torso, connected to a monitor which shows a 3-paned window with simultaneous views of (1) a 3D cartoon of the heart, (2) a echo image, and (3) an EKG strip. Instead of using the TEE simulator, I found it easier to learn about echo from a good attending armed with a physical model of the heart and a plastic straw.

Last edited:
Just as another aid to the rank list decision-making process, US News annually publishes a ranked list of 'America's Best Hospitals'. I've attached the ranked list for best [general] hospital, and best [cardiac] hospital.

US NEWS BEST HOSPITAL RANKING [ALL SPECIALTIES]
http://health.usnews.com/articles/h...-best-hospitals-the-2009-2010-honor-roll.html

1 Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
2 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
3 Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
4 Cleveland Clinic
5 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
6 New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
7 University of California, San Francisco Medical Center
8 Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
9 Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
10 Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
10 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
12 University of Washington Medical Center, Seattle
13 UPMC-University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
14 University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
15 Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
16 Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
17 NYU Medical Center, New York
17 Yale-New Haven Hospital, New Haven, Conn.
19 Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
20 Methodist Hospital, Houston

US NEWS BEST HOSPITAL RANKING [HEART AND HEART SURGERY]
http://health.usnews.com/health/best-hospitals/heart-and-heart-surgery-hospital-rankings/

1 Cleveland Clinic
2 Mayo Clinic, Rochester, Minn.
3 Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore
4 Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston
5 Texas Heart Institute at St. Luke's Episcopal Hospital, Houston
6 Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston
7 New York-Presbyterian University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell
8 Duke University Medical Center, Durham, N.C.
9 Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia
10 Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center, Los Angeles
11 NYU Langone Medical Center, New York
12 Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Louis
13 Emory University Hospital, Atlanta
14 Stanford Hospital and Clinics, Stanford, Calif.
15 Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles
16 University of Michigan Hospitals and Health Centers, Ann Arbor
17 Vanderbilt University Medical Center, Nashville
18 Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York
19 Methodist Hospital, Houston
20 Washington Hospital Center, Washington, D.C.

These lists are very interesting...based on this list, MGH > B&W for cardiac surgery. However, you are also saying that B&W is probably the best cardiac program in Boston.

I guess there are many factors involved for which programs make it to the list and what one's perception of a good program is.

These lists are very interesting...based on this list, MGH > B&W for cardiac surgery. However, you are also saying that B&W is probably the best cardiac program in Boston.

I guess there are many factors involved for which programs make it to the list and what one's perception of a good program is.

I would agree that B&W is the strongest cardiac program in Boston, but you should also be aware that it's hard for residents to stay. They take no more than 2 of 6 spots from their own residents (and have turned away stellar candidates like their own chief residents). This is relatively new (past couple of years). Many other programs like to keep their own.

Would you mind commenting more on the cardiac training at BID?

I know that they have this great TEE simulator, but that's pretty much the extent of my knowledge...

High level of case complexity, routine TEE use, CA-3 TEE elective, excellent OR and didactic teaching, daily echo reading rounds. Fewer fellows means more cases for the residents. Lots of clinical research and writing opportunities for those interested.

1. UCSF (Location wins here. It's SF, probably one of the hardest market to get into after residency if you don't have connection)
2. BID vs. Mayo
3. MGH
4. UMich
5. WashU vs. Columbia
6. U Chicago
7. Yale

impressive list!

There are some UCSF residents here who may help clarify things.

My 2 cents:

I know that everyone is a fan of university of michigan...went there for undergrad myself and have lots of UM pride...but i didn't get that gaga feeling when i went there on my interview:confused:

I felt they were snobby and basically fell back on their name. The residents were happy but its a very undiverse crowd, all married, and probably just not what im looking for I guess...plus its a more I will read about it type of program, then actually doing...i have definitely heard that from other programs as well as the residents themselves who have graduated from there:thumbdown:

My 2 cents:

I know that everyone is a fan of university of michigan...went there for undergrad myself and have lots of UM pride...but i didn't get that gaga feeling when i went there on my interview:confused:

I felt they were snobby and basically fell back on their name. The residents were happy but its a very undiverse crowd, all married, and probably just not what im looking for I guess...plus its a more I will read about it type of program, then actually doing...i have definitely heard that from other programs as well as the residents themselves who have graduated from there:thumbdown:

Really? I got the opposite impression about "doing vs reading" on the second look! Those residents seemed BUSY, hands on, in COMPLEX cases.

Just wanted to say thanks for the feedback & advice with the rank list process -- you guys are awesome

>stimmed, it's uncanny that we hit nearly the same places on the interview trail. Completely agree about the the ppt presentation at Columbia, haha. With regards to Michigan, I was also very impressed by Dr. Tremper and his leadership of the department, but the program arguably doesn't have the name-brand appeal of East-coast programs. I'm sure that our lists will change significantly in the next few weeks. We'll have to compare notes :)

I agree if you wanna impress your mom (which is really important!) or wow some hot girl (also really important!) it's not as cool a name as the east coasters. But in medicine it's pretty much on par with the rest of them. Especially in anesthesia (as you've seen on this forum). Looking forward to seeing what you finally come up with.

What are people's thoughts on UC Irvine? Especially in regards to other socal programs. The new chair seems to be very aggressive in pushing the program forward, too.

I have some good east coast programs to consider, but was wondering where UCI would fit in because I want to go back to socal.

I am personally not going to compile my list based on reputation/brand name/usnews rankings at all.

I find it interesting that one resident (intern?) has volunteered to help with rank lists involving ranking a total of 60 anesthesiology residencies:

BID
UPMC
Mercy
UCI
NYU
St Luke's
Maine
Dartmouth
Michigan
Vermont
MCW
Wake Forest
U. Arizona
Mayo-Scottsdale
U. Rochester
Kentucky
Rush
Penn St
Jefferson
Illinois-Chicago
Penn
WVU
Stonybrook
Maryland
UMDNJ/RWJ
Temple
UH Case
Loyola
Tufts
West Penn
Baystate
Caritas
Metro
Indiana
Mayo
CCF
UAB
UTSW
Stanford
Iowa
UCSF
Ohio St
OHSU
Cedars Sinai
UCLA
GWU
Brigham
Hopkins
UNC
Emory
Cornell
U. Chicago
Northwestern
Yale
U. Miami
Mizzou
VCU
Duke
Wash U.
U. Florida

That is an impressive list. Where does one gather the info to be knowledgable enough to give advice on this many programs? There are only 132 programs in the U.S. I would be curious as to what basis the rank list advice is based on.

Any advice is better than no advice at all -- I'm glad that lfesiam is taking time out of his busy schedule to help out. Additionally, many of the important variables used to choose an optimal residency are nonclinical ones (i.e. housing costs, weather, safety of neighboring areas, etc.) -- I ask my folks for rank list advice, even though they're both not in the medical profession.

Are there any current/former residents in Manhattan willing to comment on their experiences living in the city during residency?

Did you have time to enjoy the city outside the hospital, or did the high cost of living + long hours become more of a burden??

Were nursing and ancillary staff a hassle even in the ORs?

Hi Dr. Gern B! Assuming that "resident" is me :) hehehe

Answer to your question: by Reading, Network of friends, Away rotations,Talking to residents at the programs, Scutwork, MDAnesApplicant Profile, Word of mouth on last year interview trail, LOCATION/YUPPINESS factor, and SDN .

Applied to 80 programs. Went on about 30 interviews last year. Canceled 20 interviews. Excessive yes. But I see it as an investment + a chance to travel and see our great country!

Bottom line, everyone, take my advice lightly, most of them are only words of mouth, my previous experience and research. Remember this was one year ago! The best advice about a program will be from the current residents at that particular program. If you are undecided about your top 5, I would call up residents at those program and talk to them.

Last edited:
I find it interesting that one resident (intern?) has volunteered to help with rank lists involving ranking a total of 60 anesthesiology residencies:

HAHAHAHA! I was wondering when someone would address the elephant in the room. :thumbup:

Last edited: