You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step I Official 2012 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread
Started by amavir281
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I get my score back tomorrow morning i think. The last few days have been the most stressed/nervous I have ever been in my life. Praying it went well despite some bad mistakes i made. Hopefully i guessed a couple or so right for each block as well.
I was very well-rested going into the exam and was convinced that I wouldn't make careless errors. I still did. Plenty of them. I've tried to suppress my thoughts of a few of them, but it's been fairly impossible not to keep dwelling on what the implications may have been to have otherwise answered them correctly. The NBMEs have extremely steep curves, where a couple of questions make a dramatic difference. When you carry this over to the real exam, it's rather disconcerting. But there's nothing I, or any of us, can do other than to just accept it and move on. Figure that everyone makes one or more errors. If the USMLE is truly a curved system, then we should all be balance one another out.
By careless errors, however, this doesn't mean you accidentally clicked B when you meant to click C. It means days/weeks later, you subconsciously arrive at a correct answer (when falling asleep, waking up, in the shower, etc.), reevaluate your thought process on that particular question and realize there was no reason you should have gotten it wrong other than that you were moving too quickly / were in SNS overdrive. Your mind will subconsciously continue to work through questions, even weeks after the exam.
I believe the best way to circumvent carelessness is to get maximum sleep. That's it.
My housemate had asked me how much I would pay per question (with money I currently have) to have my errors turned into correct responses. I said ~$1000-1500. He said, "well why not $1600?" I replied that I'd rather just go to Fiji (which is true). We all have that threshold.
I'm sure there's other things one could do, other than just sleeping well.
I mean, you create an elaborate plan to learn 10,000 facts and do 10,000 questions but the plan to limit mistakes is just "sleep well".
It seems like - since you need to study hundreds of extra hours to get those few extra questions correct, it might be worth some focus developing a plan to limit mistakes.
Just a thought though, what do I know.
I mention sleep because not only is that the most important, but it's also the most general factor that's in anyone's control. Sleep more. Think more clearly. It's that simple. Before my exam, I ran an experiment by sitting NBMEs 6+7 extremely jetlagged. I knew that if I could do well on those while I was tired, then I wouldn't need to freak out on the exam day if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. Well, I flaked on those NBMEs, so I did freak out about needing to get sleep the night before. It definitely makes a difference.
I would say the other big thing would be to improve time-efficiency. The more time you have at the end of a block, the more freedom you have to not only go back to marked questions, but also to review unmarked ones.
There were probably 4-5 questions on my exam that I was able to get just because I had enough time to go back and critically think. There were also probably 2 or so errors I made that I caught only because I was able to go back and check them. These are the errors that are "I meant to click B, not C." The careless errors that we discuss in the posts above, however, are different and refer more to deviations of thought process that aren't something you can detect easily during the exam.
The 6th block was the only one I didn't have enough time to go back and review every unmarked question (because I had one tough question that consumed 7-8 minutes).
So in retrospect, apart from sleep, time-efficiency is second most important.
I would say the other big thing would be to improve time-efficiency. The more time you have at the end of a block, the more freedom you have to not only go back to marked questions, but also to review unmarked ones.
There were probably 4-5 questions on my exam that I was able to get just because I had enough time to go back and critically think. There were also probably 2 or so errors I made that I caught only because I was able to go back and check them. These are the errors that are "I meant to click B, not C." The careless errors that we discuss in the posts above, however, are different and refer more to deviations of thought process that aren't something you can detect easily during the exam.
The 6th block was the only one I didn't have enough time to go back and review every unmarked question (because I had one tough question that consumed 7-8 minutes).
So in retrospect, apart from sleep, time-efficiency is second most important.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Isitoutisitoutisitoutisitoutisitout?
I mention sleep because not only is that the most important, but it's also the most general factor that's in anyone's control. Sleep more. Think more clearly. It's that simple. Before my exam, I ran an experiment by sitting NBMEs 6+7 extremely jetlagged. I knew that if I could do well on those while I was tired, then I wouldn't need to freak out on the exam day if I didn't get enough sleep the night before. Well, I flaked on those NBMEs, so I did freak out about needing to get sleep the night before. It definitely makes a difference.
I would say the other big thing would be to improve time-efficiency. The more time you have at the end of a block, the more freedom you have to not only go back to marked questions, but also to review unmarked ones.
There were probably 4-5 questions on my exam that I was able to get just because I had enough time to go back and critically think. There were also probably 2 or so errors I made that I caught only because I was able to go back and check them. These are the errors that are "I meant to click B, not C." The careless errors that we discuss in the posts above, however, are different and refer more to deviations of thought process that aren't something you can detect easily during the exam.
The 6th block was the only one I didn't have enough time to go back and review every unmarked question (because I had one tough question that consumed 7-8 minutes).
So in retrospect, apart from sleep, time-efficiency is second most important.
hey when your result coming out?this week? I am also as nervous as you
The careless errors that we discuss in the posts above, however, are different and refer more to deviations of thought process that aren't something you can detect easily during the exam.
The 6th block was the only one I didn't have enough time to go back and review every unmarked question (because I had one tough question that consumed 7-8 minutes).
So in retrospect, apart from sleep, time-efficiency is second most important.
I agree.
I also wonder if there are people who are incredibly good at minimizing those mistakes. And if so, I wonder if they have a thought process or a method to keep them from doing so besides the important factors of time and rest. With all the time put into this test, I think it's worth considering or researching a bit.
I'm sure you got 270+ or whatever, but I think your experience is valuable because it reminds us to focus not only on knowing more but on getting what you know right - or somehow figuring out those "deviations of thought process that aren't easy to detect during the exam".
lol this thread has 20 people viewing it...all probably anticipating Phlo's score. I feel like it's New Years Eve...
haha im a longtime lurker and just made an account so i could post in this historic thread.
this feels a lot like "the decision" by lebron james. anyone up for predicting his score to pass some time? price is right/wife's weight rules apply (get as close as you can but don't go over).
i'm gonna go with a smooth 272
haha im a longtime lurker and just made an account so i could post in this historic thread.
this feels a lot like "the decision" by lebron james. anyone up for predicting his score to pass some time? price is right/wife's weight rules apply (get as close as you can but don't go over).
i'm gonna go with a smooth 272
hmm..im going to say for sure above 260...i'll stick with 265 - 270.
I am also nervous about Pholston's score...have followed his journey..
Amazing that so many of us want his efforts to be rewarded aptly..
I think he 'll score above 270 for sure..maybe 276-278..
Good luck buddy we are as anxious as you!😉
Amazing that so many of us want his efforts to be rewarded aptly..
I think he 'll score above 270 for sure..maybe 276-278..
Good luck buddy we are as anxious as you!😉
on 2nd thoughts, maybe a 280...would be awesome!
That would be so sickkkk. apparently the record is a 283.
Just a lowly premed here, but I've been following this thread for a while to see people's feedback on the exam and prep materials, and even I'm quite anxious to find out Phloston's score haha
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 47 (20 members and 27 guests)!!
Shall we start a slow clap...?
I guess 276 is the final score. Because one of my friend got that score. He almost did nothing incorrect with 276 for step 1 and 279 for step 2. So I think phloston has the same score, too.
Shall we start a slow clap...?
👍
i think it has figuratively started given the activity here
in for phloston's score.
please post a screenshot of the result.
please post a screenshot of the result.
still haven't gotten my score yet (took exam on december 12th). How late do they go in releasing scores during the day?
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
still haven't gotten my score yet (took exam on december 12th). How late do they go in releasing scores during the day?
The result is usually out 3 - 4 weeks after the exam. You should receive your score 2day.
In australia it's 6:30/thursday morning, so he's already gotten his scores. he's probably out partying it up.
I don't think the USMLE considers your time zone when doling out scores.
I hope he doesn't tell anyone his score.
The result is usually out 3 - 4 weeks after the exam. You should receive your score 2day.
still nothing yet.
Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 46 (21 members and 25 guests)
lol
lol
I hope he doesn't tell anyone his score.
Why would you say that? We are all invested to some degree in Phlostons success.
still haven't gotten my score yet (took exam on december 12th). How late do they go in releasing scores during the day?
still nothing yet.
Yeah, same. Took the exam Dec. 14 and the score is not out yet!
It's 6:48am Thursday here in Australia. Didn't sleep well last night.
On the ECFMG website, it says "updated as of 08 Jan 2013," which refers to Tuesday, not Wednesday, so maybe it'll come out over the next several hours.
Yeah, same. Took the exam Dec. 14 and the score is not out yet!
It's 6:48am Thursday here in Australia. Didn't sleep well last night.
On the ECFMG website, it says "updated as of 08 Jan 2013," which refers to Tuesday, not Wednesday, so maybe it'll come out over the next several hours.
seeing that Phloston finally posted:
seeing the content of his post:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Phloston, once you get your 280 I think you should not go into practice but become the next guru of Step 1. Become like the next Goljan/Pathoma but of all Step 1 prep, not just path. There is a big market for that and I have never seen anyone so passionate about this test as you.
Yeah, same. Took the exam Dec. 14 and the score is not out yet!
It's 6:48am Thursday here in Australia. Didn't sleep well last night.
On the ECFMG website, it says "updated as of 08 Jan 2013," which refers to Tuesday, not Wednesday, so maybe it'll come out over the next several hours.
matter of some more time...
Good luck 👍
Best of luck, Phloston. Whatever the outcome, you gave it your best shot, left no stone unturned, and can still give valuable advice to all future step 1 takers!
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 820