Official 2013-2014 Cardiology fellowship application cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

unknowng

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well since ERAS opened today (and is now subsequently down:eek:) I figured it was time to get this party started. Good luck to everyone this year.

Also here is the thread from last year for more information

2012-2013 Official Cardiology Fellowship Application Cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Well since ERAS opened today (and is now subsequently down:eek:) I figured it was time to get this party started. Good luck to everyone this year.

Ditto. Feels like forever since I've been on here.

Given the compressed timeline for this cycle (just a few weeks before programs start downloading apps), I was pretty frustrated with ERAS/EFDO today.

Good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep, one less day to get your crap together before programs download... thanks ERAS.

Hard to believe I'm entering this thread; I've watched it as a student/resident the last few years on SDN.

Well we can start discussing something until EFDO/ERAS opens. I was wondering how much money does it cost to apply for around 80-100 programs?

that is a lot of no....you will go broke flying

nyhow
105+100+150+25x70

around 2000 dollars

Purchased a token, but couldn't seem to register w/ it. Apparently, it's been a problem for others as well. Anyone know when it will be back up?

Purchased a token, but couldn't seem to register w/ it. Apparently, it's been a problem for others as well. Anyone know when it will be back up?

Next update at noon eastern from ERAS.

When is ERAS going to fix their website. This is rediculous.

that is a lot of no....you will go broke flying

nyhow
105+100+150+25x70

around 2000 dollars
Salk, thank you for your reply.
can you please detail how you did this calculation?

I was able to register my token and get into ERAS yesterday. Actually filled in most of the forms, so I hope I don't have to start all over. The weird thing was that when I put my token in, it autopopulated with some one else's email address, city of origin, etc.. I didn't think anything about it and just deleted with my info. I assume that's what they were fixing. Hope it's up later today. I'd like to get it finished today so I can say I'm done with it.

From the ERAS login page:

"The EFDO has identified the problem and have a solution in place; however, it is going to take a bit longer to clean up the data and reset our systems. Therefore, we will remain closed for the remainder of this week and will re-open on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 12:00n ET. We regret this delay; but feel it is necessary to assure a positive experience for our users. Thanks in advance for your continued patience."

Now if only programs delayed their processing and interview schedules by a week, I wouldn't complain. We now have only 21 days to complete our apps and ensure our letters of recommendation, transcripts, MSPE, etc are in place before programs start downloading apps.

How about ERAS waive their application fees on the first 10 programs for us as a token of apology for the inconvenience and stress they've just added to our lives?

From the ERAS login page:

"The EFDO has identified the problem and have a solution in place; however, it is going to take a bit longer to clean up the data and reset our systems. Therefore, we will remain closed for the remainder of this week and will re-open on Monday, June 24, 2013 at 12:00n ET. We regret this delay; but feel it is necessary to assure a positive experience for our users. Thanks in advance for your continued patience."

Now if only programs delayed their processing and interview schedules by a week, I wouldn't complain. We now have only 21 days to complete our apps and ensure our letters of recommendation, transcripts, MSPE, etc are in place before programs start downloading apps.

How about ERAS waive their application fees on the first 10 programs for us as a token of apology for the inconvenience and stress they've just added to our lives?

I'm all for it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Can any one post the time line of the application cycle. like when to take the token, when to request to upload documents? when to apply,thank you so much in advance

Didn't see it mentioned here, but Token are again available and ERAS is back up. Lets try take 2.......

Didn't see it mentioned here, but Token are again available and ERAS is back up. Lets try take 2.......

I don't think that new tokens may be obtained, but if you had a token before the system was taken down, you can continue work in ERAS. I think.

does ERAS allow you to send different personal statements to different programs? I seem to recall being able to do this when applying for residency

Columbia requires a letter from one's "Chief of Service"; before I email the PC with the question, I was wondering if anyone here knew if that was the PD or the Chair of Cardiology at one's home institution.

Thanks in advance!

So it seems like most program ask for 3 recommendation letters (most want one of them to be from your program director). Does that mean we can only send 3 or can we send 4?

So it seems like most program ask for 3 recommendation letters (most want one of them to be from your program director). Does that mean we can only send 3 or can we send 4?

The answer is the same as it was for you 3 years ago. If they say 3 letters are required, send 3 or 4. If they say no more than 3 letters...you should be able to figure it out.

Seriously, RUSH requires a 40$ additional application fee. This is the first of its kind at a fellowship level.
I for one will not be applying there.

Anybody knows how many fellowship positions SUNY downstate has per year?
And do they have IMGs who are non citizens or non permanent residents?

Curious to know if anyone is personalizing or institutionalizing their personal statements. The only program I've come across that has specific requirements for the PS is University of Washington and it seems like a lot of work to do for each program on my list.

Curious to know if anyone is personalizing or institutionalizing their personal statements. The only program I've come across that has specific requirements for the PS is University of Washington and it seems like a lot of work to do for each program on my list.

I briefly thought about doing so, but figured that the work was not worth it and the risk of sending the wrong PS to the wrong program was definitely not worth it!

These guys are crooks!! $40 payment does NOT guarantee your an interview spot... if you can, avoid this place... [on the other hand, whats $40 when you look at the bigger picture!]

These guys are crooks!! $40 payment does NOT guarantee your an interview spot... if you can, avoid this place... [on the other hand, whats $40 when you look at the bigger picture!]

I was talking about the fellowship program at Rush! :)

Anyone else having problems with letters not being uploaded? Our program directors assistant was collecting the letters and uploading them for us. She has gotten confirmation of the upload 2 days ago, but they are still not showing up. Anyone else having this problem?

Yes! I'm having the same issue with LORs submitted 2-3 days ago not showing up. Pls post updates if you find out what's going on.

My end of my application is complete and I'd like to go ahead and submit my application, however, only one of my letter writers has uploaded my letter. Can I got ahead and submit my application and once those are uploaded assign them to the programs I want or should I wait until they are all uploaded?

Thanks

My end of my application is complete and I'd like to go ahead and submit my application, however, only one of my letter writers has uploaded my letter. Can I got ahead and submit my application and once those are uploaded assign them to the programs I want or should I wait until they are all uploaded?

Thanks

Yes you can go ahead and apply. Then you will be able to select the letters once they are uploaded.

Eager to know how things will go with fellowship application.
This must be similar to residency applications (AKA like going on multiple dates).

Anyone else having problems with letters not being uploaded? Our program directors assistant was collecting the letters and uploading them for us. She has gotten confirmation of the upload 2 days ago, but they are still not showing up. Anyone else having this problem?

Did your letters finally show up in post-office?

Did your letters finally show up in post-office?

Yeah, but it is incredible slow. I've got one that has shown up, but another was upload about 4 days ago and it's still not there. I've got two other letter writers who have not yet finished my letters, and to now see it's taking 4-5 days for them to show up in the post office is concerning. Of course I know I can submit and add the letters when available, I'd just like to be done. Especially when I asked for these letters 2 months ago.

What is maximum number of letters one can submit? On eras it is 4, so I'm assuming that is max number? I just got a fifth letter, never thought I'd be in this position, but now would like to use this fifth letter. I already designated four in eras though-is there any way around this??

What is maximum number of letters one can submit? On eras it is 4, so I'm assuming that is max number? I just got a fifth letter, never thought I'd be in this position, but now would like to use this fifth letter. I already designated four in eras though-is there any way around this??

4 per program. Back in the day, one could un-designate a letter and designate another one. If they've not been downloaded yet you should be able to do this without issue. If they have already been downloaded...it's unlikely that the new letter is going to be so amazing that it will have any significant impact on your application.

I see. None of apps have been downloaded my programs yet, that all
Happens next week but I don't see a mechanism for in checking the boxes to redesignate

4 per program. Back in the day, one could un-designate a letter and designate another one. If they've not been downloaded yet you should be able to do this without issue. If they have already been downloaded...it's unlikely that the new letter is going to be so amazing that it will have any significant impact on your application.

This is true, but unfortunately this year the ERAS application and EFDO is different and it seems that you can't select a letter that hasn't been uploaded thus far and specifically states that once you've assigned a letter you can't change this. This significantly delays things with an already limit time frame. Too bad the programs and PDs don't know about this.

Submitted. Other than adding a letter when it's uploaded to a few programs, nothing to do now but sit back and wait.

Submitted. Other than adding a letter when it's uploaded to a few programs, nothing to do now but sit back and wait.

I agree. It was nice to finalize my app a couple of days ago. Good luck to everyone. Hoping programs start downloading tomorrow. I'm anxious for things to start moving.

I agree. It was nice to finalize my app a couple of days ago. Good luck to everyone. Hoping programs start downloading tomorrow. I'm anxious for things to start moving.

Judging by previous years' application threads, we won't hear anything on invites for several weeks.

Last edited:

What makes you think that you will be able to add a letter once it's uploaded. When I tried to apply yesterday, ERAS app told me that once you submit you cannot change the letters or add new ones. I'm sure it told you the same thing. This is different from last year when you could've just added up to 4 LORs and then they would get to programs once they were into the ERAS postoffice. This is why I'm waiting on mine.

What makes you think that you will be able to add a letter once it's uploaded. When I tried to apply yesterday, ERAS app told me that once you submit you cannot change the letters or add new ones. I'm sure it told you the same thing. This is different from last year when you could've just added up to 4 LORs and then they would get to programs once they were into the ERAS postoffice. This is why I'm waiting on mine.

Well, aside from the fact that you seem to be misinterpreting the directions, the experience of others this year suggests that you can do this.

Just submit your app...and consider a valium.

I applied 1 week ago and payed the fees, then was able to select the LOR as they came in. So you can add up to 4 letters before or after you pay the fee / apply to a program.

It looks like two programs that I applied to are eager to download applications. One at 1 am and one at 6 am this morning. Someone is an eager beaver.

It looks like two programs that I applied to are eager to download applications. One at 1 am and one at 6 am this morning. Someone is an eager beaver.

I agree. I have two schools that were downloaded early this morning as well.