Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

The worst part is, the questions you get wrong aren't even the hardest ones. Unfortunately you'll remember the stupid mistakes you made for the rest of your life. You'll have a few moments in the year following your exam where it will creep on you in a fairly profound way what may have been different had the mistakes not been made. But it's both healthy and humbling. And it will mature you. It forces you to recognize that a few points don't make or break a person nor his or her character.
It's definitely not healthy. Especially not to punish yourself for the rest of your life, regardless of whatever the situation may be. Life goes on.

Yeah the mistakes I remember are all what I would call "retrospect gimmies". It just didn't all click at that very moment. You never mentioned this in your pdf, @Phloston, but if you don't mind me asking how many errors did you remember by time your result came out. I'm at 7 right now. Got started on step 2. Gotta take this sucker asap. Waiting for the step 1 result so I can apply to do some externships.

@Brain Bucket, yeah may seem unusual to you haha, but this exam is a huge thing for IMGs. It's allready used as a benchmark to cut out applicants in residency but these days its also used to get clinical experience as well.

Come onnnnn internal medicine!

There were five that I was 100% sure I got wrong. Then there were ~five others that could have gone either way, but they weren't the type you could do research on. But to put things in perspective, one of the questions I got wrong was so easy that my girlfriend, who's not even in med, knew the answer to without even hearing the choices. Sometimes when you're hyper-focused, you hone in on a minute detail and miss the bigger picture.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
teah may seem unusual to you haha, but this exam is a huge thing for IMGs. It's allready used as a benchmark to cut out applicants in residency but these days its also used to get clinical experience as well.

Come onnnnn internal medicine!

Heh. yeah. I'm an IMG too.

For those who have taken Step 1 this year.

Do you feel pathoma prepared you well? I am doing pathoma 2-3 times right now during MS2 blocks. I will try to start Goljan early next year.

For those who have taken Step 1 this year.

Do you feel pathoma prepared you well? I am doing pathoma 2-3 times right now during MS2 blocks. I will try to start Goljan early next year.
Pathoma was a good REVIEW. It serves well as an awesome way to consolidate all the Pathology information you learn. Exhaustive? I don't think so. Effective? Most definitely.

Reactions: 1 user
I was thinking of spending almost a full day a couple of days before my step 1 going through nbme 6 and above and going through all the questions again...

A lot of people comment on the repetition of concepts and questions and so I thought it might be a good way to review. I would REALLY appreciate advice from someone who's either taken the exam or knows from second hand experience. I just figured it'd be a good way to go over HY info again.

Would really appreciate some guidance! Thanks

Took nbme 12 and scored a 212 :( wt*.....shud i postpone?
Yes, unless you perform better under stress. It all depends on your target score though.

Informative this blog has been. Information leads to knowledge, knowledge leads to wisdom, wisdom... leads to good score on USMLE. The path of the greatness, this blog has taken.

Last edited:
listen to yoda you must,
guide you he will

Last edited:
My score's coming out on the 20th and I'm more stress about future prospects of matching in internal medicine than anything.
Sitting, staring at the screen thinking "where is this all heading?"

My score's coming out on the 20th and I'm more stress about future prospects of matching in internal medicine than anything.

I am sure you did great :). My exam is on the 22nd, wish me luck!!! Kinda freaking out a bit...

Members don't see this ad :)

“Always in motion the future is .”

Luke: "What's in there?"
Yoda: "Only what you take with you."

on an OT note, what is up with SDN and the new forum layout...the old one was good, this just made it worse :(

amazing coming back here a year after being done with this exam... and nice to see @Phloston is still around giving advice - in 44 days I'll be done with CK!

Hello Everyone! I just took my test a week ago and when I left I was pretty confused. I am sure no one walks out of the exam thinking they did well but I felt really confused walking out. I barely remembered any questions when I got out. The next day however I was able to write down almost 150 question topics I had. I scored around 65% on USMLE World and got 226 on NBME 12. I didn't think the NBME was very hard and the actual exam was much more difficult than the NBME. It was more similar to USMLE World. I did USMLE World, Pathoma and First Aid. Hopefully I do ok just confused and scared!

Hello Everyone! I just took my test a week ago and when I left I was pretty confused. I am sure no one walks out of the exam thinking they did well but I felt really confused walking out. I barely remembered any questions when I got out. The next day however I was able to write down almost 150 question topics I had. I scored around 65% on USMLE World and got 226 on NBME 12. I didn't think the NBME was very hard and the actual exam was much more difficult than the NBME. It was more similar to USMLE World. I did USMLE World, Pathoma and First Aid. Hopefully I do ok just confused and scared!
You will be alright don't worry. Tusi fikar na karo.

What topics were tested from immunology? You will do fine.

Thanks for the support guys! It was pretty basic on Immuno, hypersensitivities, Chemotaxis of various cell types (Macs, Neutrophils), class switching that was about it.

Question - I'm registering for dates right now. Let's my finals end May 16th. Around when is a good time to take it?

I was thinking a solid two weeks out. So closer to May 29-30 (the second friday after finals end) or early the following week (June 1/2). Would sometime like June 7 be too late?

Also congrats Modeselektor.

I followed the Maryjane85 protocol:

FA
usmlerx
KaplanQbank
Robbins review pathology Qbank (wish I hadn't, big waste of time)
Uworld

that's it. ;)

I followed the Maryjane85 protocol:

FA
usmlerx
KaplanQbank
Robbins review pathology Qbank (wish I hadn't, big waste of time)
Uworld

that's it. ;)

Pretty much what I'm rolling, most likely minus Kaplan and for sure no Robbins. How many NBMEs did you take?

You can do and achieve any thing you want. Each of you has the potential for greatness and have something in their lives they love and have a passion for: be it cooking, music, sports, or anything under the sun. With this same passion approach your studies and be happy you can study. You are all gifted and there is no ceiling for what you can achieve. Ignore all those who put you down and intimidate you, celebrate this chance to be alive and this opportunity for you to prove to yourself you can fight. At the end of your life your score will fade but you will remember the moments you fought and the strength you felt rising to the challenge. Affirm to yourself your belief in your capacity; live, breathe, walk, talk and eat KNOWING you WILL achieve your dreams. Enjoy the fact that you have a goal, and enjoy the fact that you are working towards it. That is truly a gift: To have a dream and to work towards an aim so ENJOY the process of living your life as you see fit. No matter how foolish it seems at first, just believe with all your heart every morning and be grateful that you will achieve your goal. With this strength and conviction prepare for your step and you will have fuel through the tough times and will surpass your own expectations, achieving things you had never dreamed of before.

Life is a gift and we are all lucky. Put out positivity, believe, be grateful and enjoy each moment, because each of you is a work of art and each of you is capable of anything.

Reactions: 5 users
hello

I just did usmle world self assessment exam 1

scored 800 - 265 - 89%

I didn't feel myself doing a great job during the test nor bad, it was average.
I did exactly 5 mistakes on each block.

I'm going to do the 2nd one tomorrow.
I won't do any NBME.

I'm little worried though, a guy from my school (2nd on our class) scored 265 on both + 269 on NBME 15 and he ended up 252 on the real deal!!!

My exam in 5 days (I have 4 days to study).
I will do anatomy from Kaplan LN today, just reviewing the slides.
I will do pathoma tomorrow.
Biostats + Biochem + Micro + Immuno in a day.
One spare day.
Pharma + Embryo the last day.

Please any advises would be highly appreciated!! :(
I'm the kind of dude who keeps pushing till the last minute!!
I feel like my stomach is about to burst :'(

Not sure why my post was deleted...?? Congrats @Modeselektor , well done brother, the ultimate relief!!
I got my results back on the same day... 258. Annoying to get soo close to 260 but oh well still very, very content since my target was 250+ :)

Reactions: 3 users
here's a dumb question...

the "NBME" exams that people post scores for
like NBME 15: 245

are these - in actuality - the NBME Comprehensive Basic Science Self Assessment? and are just colloquially referred to as "NBME's" on this site?

I just did usmle world self assessment exam 2

scored 800 - 265 - 89%

I did 3,4,8,5 mistakes on the blocks, respectively.

I felt I did bad on all of the blocks!!!
Does everyone feel the same way?? :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure why my post was deleted...?? Congrats @Modeselektor , well done brother, the ultimate relief!!
I got my results back on the same day... 258. Annoying to get soo close to 260 but oh well still very, very content since my target was 250+ :)

Hey Doctosanthewan! Congrats on the great score. Would be great to hear what your study plan was.

I'm going to keep posting here cuz I'd rather talk to you lot. (step 2 forum seems kinda dead)
@Brain Bucket You are a god damn genius for studying step 1 and 2 together, I started doing some usmlerx2 and the amount of crossover is insane.
@Doctosanthewan Congrats my friend! Your score is fantastic!!! I know the feels about 260, I was close as hell but got held back by some silly mistakes. W/E man, we both beat our goals of 250+, its a relief and our applications will beat most initial screenings. I printscreened my score and put it on facebook and my phone has been ringing off the hook with congrats messages. My parents have been getting calls too. First time they've been proud in a while. Scores are scores but I'm happy that I did my best prep, bit the bullet and laid it all on the line, doing far better than what I thought capable initially.

Last edited:
hello

I just did usmle world self assessment exam 1

scored 800 - 265 - 89%

I didn't feel myself doing a great job during the test nor bad, it was average.
I did exactly 5 mistakes on each block.

I'm going to do the 2nd one tomorrow.
I won't do any NBME.

I'm little worried though, a guy from my school (2nd on our class) scored 265 on both + 269 on NBME 15 and he ended up 252 on the real deal!!!

My exam in 5 days (I have 4 days to study).
I will do anatomy from Kaplan LN today, just reviewing the slides.
I will do pathoma tomorrow.
Biostats + Biochem + Micro + Immuno in a day.
One spare day.
Pharma + Embryo the last day.

Please any advises would be highly appreciated!! :(
I'm the kind of dude who keeps pushing till the last minute!!
I feel like my stomach is about to burst :'(
Don't worry about how other people did relative to NBME. You'll see throughout this forum that there are people that did significantly better and worse than their average score. Was fairly predictive for me (also a guy that liked to cram last-minute). Based on the UWSA, you're doing fine, just stick with your plan.

I'm going to keep posting here cuz I'd rather talk to you lot. (step 2 forum seems kinda dead)
@Brain Bucket You are a god damn genius for studying step 1 and 2 together, I started doing some usmlerx2 and the amount of crossover is insane.
@Doctosanthewan Congrats my friend! Your score is fantastic!!! I know the feels about 260, I was close as hell but got held back by some silly mistakes. W/E man, we both beat our goals of 250+, its a relief and our applications will beat most initial screenings. I printscreened my score and put it on facebook and my phone has been ringing off the hook with congrats messages. My parents have been getting calls too. First time they've been proud in a while. Scores are scores but I'm happy that I did my best prep, bit the bullet and laid it all on the line, doing far better than what I thought capable initially.

I can't seem to find BrainBucket's post on studying for both Step 1&2. Mind sharing how he was able to integrate studying for both Steps? And in retrospect, do you have any recommendations for those who still haven't taken Step 1 but wish you had done?

If you were coming fresh out of an American MS2, then that would be true. But as an IMG having graduated and needing to revisit MS1/2 material, I would suggest spending the next half-year reading FA and getting through as many practice questions as you can.
000png

Took the exam today.

I couldn't sleep the night before.

I was so damn awake ... The Ach in my brain was shooting through the roof ... The couple of minutes I managed to sleep were REM sleep where I dreamed about reading FA lol

I did the free 150 at night ... Scored 98%

I vomited at 4am and had diarrhea haha
I was severely dehydrated and felt cold.

I thought about all the time I put preparing for this exam would go to waste now!

I prayed to God to help me through the exam.

Now in the real deal thank God I was so awake and focused I even finished the first block in 40 minutes.
I marked 15-20 Qs per block.
I marked anything I'm not sure of or want to read again.
I read all the Qs once again in order to make sure I clicked the right answer (it took me only 5 minutes to go through the whole block, it was useful I changed 2 or 3 answers)
I kept the Qs I wasn't sure about marked and unmarked the others.
I ended each block with 2-5 marked Qs.
That doesn't mean they are all wrong ... Also doesn't mean everything else is right.

The exam is very doable, easy to moderate with couple wtf Qs
Physiology was the hardest thing on my exam.

The exam needs knowledge and a lot of judgement.
The free 150 will show you than they're trying to teach you a point with every Q not to just trap you.
FA + Usmlerx + Usmleworld are more than enough.

I crammed the whole damn FA the day before the exam, my brain almost exploded.

Also don't overthink Qs ... They are really straight forward ... Don't be a smart ass.

It was easier than Usmle world, I think also it was easier than usmle world self assessment exams.

Repetition is the key!
Read read read and keep on reading.
The more you put to this exam the more you gain.

I hope I break 265+ and maybe If I was lucky 270+ ... But who knows I might as will only score 250+ lol ... I guess I will know in 3 weeks!

Thanks for everyone who posted in this forum for sharing their thoughts ... It was helpful ... I hope I myself be helpful to others too ... Thanks to Phloston.

I will elaborate more once my score is out.

Now it's time for Master The Board (or Master The Sleep? lol)

Reactions: 2 users