Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

webgenius congrats ! looks you aced the exam! I remember one of your earlier post when you had completed 2000 qs of usmlerx that after completing 2000 questions of usmlerx you understood FA waydeeprer level than before starting it. So how was your level of understanding after you finished usmlerx? how did repetition help you ? did you revise rx and uworld again and again?

webgenius congrats ! looks you aced the exam! I remember one of your earlier post when you had completed 2000 qs of usmlerx that after completing 2000 questions of usmlerx you understood FA waydeeprer level than before starting it. So how was your level of understanding after you finished usmlerx? how did repetition help you ? did you revise rx and uworld again and again?

thank you

usmlerx is the only Qbank I advice people to annotate everything from it to FA cuz simply it's just FA advanced

the other Qbanks esp usmleworld I think the educational objective is more than enough

usmlerx tests knowledge
usmleworld tests knowledge & judgement

when you're choosing an answer you either choose it by knowledge directly or by elimination of other choices and judgement

I didn't repeat any Qbank ... I did them only once
btw even if you memorized the whole usmleworld when you do the UW self assessment you will realize that you can't ace this test by just memorizing information ... The number of possible Qs is endless ... Dude even if you were allowed to use the internet during the exam you won't solve everything ... Your score might even be lower lol

I mean repeat FA as much as you can

don't repeat each chapter alone it's useless

you have to read it cover to cover
some of the information in earlier chapters are only clear after you read the latter chapters

read other books but don't sweat on them
if they asked you a question out of FA it will be most probably out of other books too, or too easy or obscure info that you won't answer unless you memorized the book which is impossible

Firecracker too was nice
I read each corresponding section with FA and annotated to FA
goljan looks nice too but use it to understand the stuff better not to add more information

Reactions: 3 users
congrats to being done webgenius :). My exam is Dec 13th; i am concerned about genetics and biostats, how was it on your exam? I am hearing some horror stories from people on the other various usmle forums. Glad to hear that the exam isnt as scary as i thought it would be. I did the free 150; or we should say free 138 really...back in October at the center.. ended up getting an 88 percent. I missed 8 on the last block of it, i still have no idea which 8 i missed lol. I went through the questions offline as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats @webgenius

Looks like you beat the snot out of it.
Chill for a week then get back into it. My only regret about step 1 after the exam is that I didn't immediately head to the nearest snow capped mountain and relax for a week.

Congrats @webgenius

Chill for a week then get back into it. My only regret about step 1 after the exam is that I didn't immediately head to the nearest snow capped mountain and relax for a week.

I am planning to go to Las Vegas to get drunk after my exam..Lord knows i need it!!

congrats to being done webgenius :). My exam is Dec 13th; i am concerned about genetics and biostats, how was it on your exam? I am hearing some horror stories from people on the other various usmle forums. Glad to hear that the exam isnt as scary as i thought it would be. I did the free 150; or we should say free 138 really...back in October at the center.. ended up getting an 88 percent. I missed 8 on the last block of it, i still have no idea which 8 i missed lol. I went through the questions offline as well.

thank you

biostat was easy only because I did usmlerx world and kaplan
if it was my first time doing some of the question I had I would have been screwed

one of the question i had was posted on this forum hahaha it took me 5 minutes to figure it out when I first saw it ... Solved it in 5 seconds in the exam

1 CI question ... 2 odds ratio ... 1 about sens spec where you have to really know the image and where to put the cut off point for each ... Nothing weird

genetics was moderate ... I felt like they are asking a simple question but with modified wording ... With exclusion of other options i was fine

don't sweat on every hard question ... Choose your best guess .. Mark the question and move ... When you read it again after finishing the block you will be less tense cuz youre obviously safe now ... Relax and read it and you will most probably realize that your first guess was right ... Or realize obvious difference and change it ... Or had no idea and still confused lol

I did like this and it was a million times better than keep hanging on a question for 5 minutes.

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats @webgenius

thank you

looks like isn't the same as actually did hahaha

I will relax now ... It feels like being out of a prison !!

thank you

biostat was easy only because I did usmlerx world and kaplan
if it was my first time doing some of the question I had I would have been screwed

one of the question i had was posted on this forum hahaha it took me 5 minutes to figure it out when I first saw it ... Solved it in 5 seconds in the exam

1 CI question ... 2 odds ratio ... 1 about sens spec where you have to really know the image and where to put the cut off point for each ... Nothing weird

genetics was moderate ... I felt like they are asking a simple question but with modified wording ... With exclusion of other options i was fine

don't sweat on every hard question ... Choose your best guess .. Mark the question and move ... When you read it again after finishing the block you will be less tense cuz youre obviously safe now ... Relax and read it and you will most probably realize that your first guess was right ... Or realize obvious difference and change it ... Or had no idea and still confused lol

I did like this and it was a million times better than keep hanging on a question for 5 minutes.

Yeah CI is something i find a bit confusing. Odds ratio i need to go over again. Which was the question that you posted on this forum?

Congrats @webgenius

Hey, Modeselektor! I posted higher up in the thread and you might have missed it. I'll just repost it if the mods don't mind. :)

I can't seem to find BrainBucket's post on studying for both Step 1&2. Mind sharing how he was able to integrate studying for both Steps? And in retrospect, do you have any recommendations for those who still haven't taken Step 1 but wish you had done?

Hey, Modeselektor! I posted higher up in the thread and you might have missed it. I'll just repost it if the mods don't mind. :)

I can't seem to find BrainBucket's post on studying for both Step 1&2. Mind sharing how he was able to integrate studying for both Steps? And in retrospect, do you have any recommendations for those who still haven't taken Step 1 but wish you had done?

He didn't. He just tacks on stuff from step 2 wherever he feels like it. Step 2 prep essentially appears to be step 1 in a little more detail with treatment tacked on, so if you gotta do path/Pathophys in considerable detail, it makes sense to not chuck out the notes just yet.

Weren't you giving your exam on the 22nd of this month? What are yo studying right now? Haven't you given all your nbme too?

Weren't you giving your exam on the 22nd of this month? What are yo studying right now? Haven't you given all your nbme too?

i had to push it back, UWSA2 didnt go well for me. NBME 12 did though, really well. But i didnt want to take any chances. Decided to shore up my weak subjects (Neuro somewhat, Genetics, Molecular and Biostats). For some reason, i cant get a handle on UWSA...i dont know what it is...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we bring food and beverages to the prometric center?
Also, do they provide a pen and sheets to write notes??

foodstuffs and beverages have to be kept in a locker. They give you 2 laminated sheets with markers. You cant erase anything off them (i think the markers are permanent anyways). If you use up your sheet, you gotta give one back and they will give you another one.

foodstuffs and beverages have to be kept in a locker. They give you 2 laminated sheets with markers. You cant erase anything off them (i think the markers are permanent anyways). If you use up your sheet, you gotta give one back and they will give you another one.

Thanks dude. Is there enough space in the locker? It's a 7 hour exam and I need much food and drinks.

Markers!! Why not pens. Writing with markers, especially in calculations, is not fast!!

Thanks dude. Is there enough space in the locker? It's a 7 hour exam and I need much food and drinks.

Markers!! Why not pens. Writing with markers, especially in calculations, is not fast!!

get there early and grab the bigger locker. They are pens, but of the felt tip type; so that you can write on laminated sheets.

quick question; my school gives us an NMBE before we actually begin studying for the step. My score prediction was in the low 200s...should I be freaking out?
Considering I didnt study for it, because you really cant and also I am starting to prep for the boards in january and sit for it in march. What are your thoughts?

Depends on your goal fatalis. 200 pre-dedicated is pretty good, so long as it isn't a UWSA (this is for the benefit of others; you've clearly stated NBME). You should only freak out a little if your goal is 250+

iam shooting for a 240. The exam was 4 blocks in length and we were not able to eat during our small breaks; this did affect my performance in block 3 and 4. Iam not trying to make excuses, it just sucks that having to sit for an exam mid way through and being hungry lol

Haha. Yeah, we'll all have to adapt for the endurance needed. It's nice to have a routine leading up to the test. i.e. same foods at the same times, same breaks, etc.

You know the formula. Hit the highest yield resources and do the highest quality qs, until you're consistently getting 5-10 over your target score, then take the test :)

Hey I am a IMG

Uworld 1- 252
Uworld 2- 242
NBME 13- 247
NBME 15- 238
NBME 12- 238

Real test 228 (buzzkill)- it was like nbme 12, lots of questions that were from left field. Wasn't a good test day. I wonder if that is still a competitive score for EM. This might not be the thread just wanted some input.

Hey I am a IMG

Uworld 1- 252
Uworld 2- 242
NBME 13- 247
NBME 15- 238
NBME 12- 238

Real test 228 (buzzkill)- it was like nbme 12, lots of questions that were from left field. Wasn't a good test day. I wonder if that is still a competitive score for EM. This might not be the thread just wanted some input.

There's someone at my school (Australian IMG) who, for next year, applied into EM with a 210 Step1 and 235 Step2CK. She applied to 85 some-odd programs and the last time I spoke to her (~3 weeks ago), she had received ~45 rejections thus far and no interviews. But yet again, 210 is below average, which as an IMG is a death sentence.

I'd say a 228 as an IMG is very borderline and will be viewed similarly to an AMG with a 200-210. For one, you'll have to get a stellar 2CK (although programs know it's way easier to score higher on 2CK). But more importantly, you'll have to get phenomenal LoRs from US institutions and a publication (or more) if you can; if you do these things, you will match, because you're ranked partially based on research, and few people have published papers.

Research is more important for EM and more competitive residencies, am I correct?
I got 223 (IMG needing visa) and am really freaking out about my chances of matching in 2016. I don't have research experience but will have 2 years of US experience.

Research is more important for EM and more competitive residencies, am I correct?
I got 223 (IMG needing visa) and am really freaking out about my chances of matching in 2016. I don't have research experience but will have 2 years of US experience.
I have also heard that your application for residency isn't even considered if it's been 3 years + since you graduated from med school. Can any one confirm this? I am also an immigrant.

I've found it helpful to post in the specialty threads here on SDN. If you post in EM (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forums/emergency-medicine.43/) asking about your chances, etc., without sounding needy, you'll get a few responses. Then, kindly PM some of the "wiser docs" floating around with a very succinct email, and you'll find they're likely on admissions committees and can/will give you candid feedback on your situation.

Please fill out this form . you will see exam experience of 180 ppl after filling out the form. :)

here are the results if you haven't done any steps yet !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Please use legit versions of the study materials (if you are not), and discourage sharing the bootleg versions. If there is a genuine reason to share, at least make sure the receiving person is generous and will give back to the community in future. - Thank You.

Last edited:
Its a great score! congrats. I know you were targetting 260 but how many score 256? Keep your chin up.

Yes I did, 256 :cryi:

I guess not being able to sleep a single minute had its impact on me!
anyway, I hope I do better in step 2!
Congrats Webgenius. fantastic score. Can you share your study plan or review of prep materials? Thanks in advance.

haha cool ****. As I'm going over these "weak chapters in FA" I've decided to negatively highlight: Instead of underlining/highlighting things I don't know confidently. I'm blacking out everything I know for sure. :D

feels way way way...better. far less tense now. Casually reading and enjoying the progressive blackening of FA.

thank%20god.jpg
Hey. any way you could add audio files to foxit reader? Studying murmurs and i wanted to add them along with the specific page.

I added links to youtube vid murmurs. I think you should be able to add in audio links pretty easily too.

Man, I love my comfortable, familiar firstaid. Just keeping this thing open while studying for step 2 is calming.

I added links to youtube vid murmurs. I think you should be able to add in audio links pretty easily too.

Man, I love my comfortable, familiar firstaid. Just keeping this thing open while studying for step 2 is calming.

Ok i did it, by disabling the safe mode.
Also i owe you for the whole pdf idea, it's so convenient, i don't have to write anything down which was a pain in the **** and i can add pics, cartoons, diagrams and what not to help me recall. I actually love going through FA now. Thank you skilled lover!

Ok i did it, by disabling the safe mode.
Also i owe you for the whole pdf idea, it's so convenient, i don't have to write anything down which was a pain in the **** and i can add pics, cartoons, diagrams and what not to help me recall. I actually love going through FA now. Thank you skilled lover!

Yeah once you get used to it, its a really good way to go.
My favourite thing was still black highlighting:
*Make a copy of the pdf (reversing all the highlights is a pain)
*Sit down with a chapter
*Go through it and everything you know/remember, highlight in black to remove it
*Once you get done with the chapter, go through it again, and keep going until the whole chapter is black.

Yeah once you get used to it, its a really good way to go.
My favourite thing was still black highlighting:
*Make a copy of the pdf (reversing all the highlights is a pain)
*Sit down with a chapter
*Go through it and everything you know/remember, highlight in black to remove it
*Once you get done with the chapter, go through it again, and keep going until the whole chapter is black.
This is such a great idea, anyone know how to get a 2014 version?

I sliced the binding and had my bro use his office building's heavy duty scanner/OCR for mine.

re: to get a 2014 version go get the binding sliced
find a cousin/younger sibling and pay them $100 to scan every page, both sides.

I sliced the binding and had my bro use his office building's heavy duty scanner/OCR for mine.

re: to get a 2014 version go get the binding sliced
find a cousin/younger sibling and pay them $100 to scan every page, both sides.

Isn't there a kindle -> PDF converter out there?