Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

What would you recommend someone who has 10 days left for the exam and if you were to go back and do it all over again would you do something different except going over FA as you mentioned.
Thank you and good luck with your score.

I think it depends where you stand with your score.

Someone who is lower range <230 (such as myself) could benefit a LOT just by hitting FA, without even memorizing it. At this score level, I'm still missing very high-yield and frequently tested concepts as well as factoids which are all in FA. Aside from that, I kept working through UW incorrects, and taking notes.

The guys who are 250+, obviously have fewer gaps in their knowledge. I was never there so I can't say much about that. Probably just seeing more questions and literally seeking out stuff to get wrong.

Yep. FA covers most of the auto-clicks, and gives you a solid base to at least have an idea on topics you may have not otherwise covered in depth.

Even after reading FA, I know I got at least 5 (and I'm sure more) blatant gimmes wrong after narrowing it down to 2 choices. Those were just do to recall error. One or two I knew as soon as the block ended, that I got it wrong. I just couldn't sort it out/be sure, quick enough in that moment.

Damn brew, I'm rooting for you to break a 220, even though I absolutely hate Mercedes vehicles...

The thing I hate the most about studying is all the contraindications I see from books. I was taught and the same has been mentioned in a few books, that elastin doesn't have lysine. One of the few differences between elastin and collagen. Lol, UWorld gives an awesome summary as to what elastin is made up of and what contributes to the strength of elastin - desmosine complex - which occurs by cross linking four different lysine residues

:(:(:rolleyes::mad::scared::thumbdown:

Damn brew, I'm rooting for you to break a 220, even though I absolutely hate Mercedes vehicles...

The thing I hate the most about studying is all the contraindications I see from books. I was taught and the same has been mentioned in a few books, that elastin doesn't have lysine. One of the few differences between elastin and collagen. Lol, UWorld gives an awesome summary as to what elastin is made up of and what contributes to the strength of elastin - desmosine complex - which occurs by cross linking four different lysine residues

:(:(:rolleyes::mad::scared::thumbdown:

Yea I picked that up also! Even DIT said elastin DIDNT have lysine

Members don't see this ad :)

I usually read UWorld while in bed, to pick up extra info. There was one that mentioned the JGApparatus is found in both the afferent and efferent arterioles - always thought it was just in the afferent portion.

I'm not taking the time to look it up so I could be wrong but I think they mean that the elastin chain (rich in glycine and proline) doesn't have lysine like collagen (rich in glycine, proline, and lysine) does. Lysine is used to cross-link chains of both collagen and elastin via lysyl oxidase.

I'm not taking the time to look it up so I could be wrong but I think they mean that the elastin chain (rich in glycine and proline) doesn't have lysine like collagen (rich in glycine, proline, and lysine) does. Lysine is used to cross-link chains of both collagen and elastin via lysyl oxidase.

Yea that makes perfect sense, thanks!

I usually read UWorld while in bed, to pick up extra info. There was one that mentioned the JGApparatus is found in both the afferent and efferent arterioles - always thought it was just in the afferent portion.

FA says it's just Afferent so on the step I'll go w Afferent, I don't think they'll ask that tho, im sure a question on that will be related to something else

Nbme 5 - 245
Nbme 6 - 247
Nbme 7 - 254
CBSE - >260
Nbme 11 - 252

Anyone have experience with the CBSE and how accurate it is? On my score report it says a 94 is the equivalent of a 260 (the highest they show on the chart), and it looks like every two points in the two-digit score is the same as five points in the 3-digit score. I got a 99. I feel a little dubious about it since it is significantly higher than all my other practice tests. But I'm still hoping....

Nbme 5 - 245
Nbme 6 - 247
Nbme 7 - 254
CBSE - >260
Nbme 11 - 252

Anyone have experience with the CBSE and how accurate it is? On my score report it says a 94 is the equivalent of a 260 (the highest they show on the chart), and it looks like every two points in the two-digit score is the same as five points in the 3-digit score. I got a 99. I feel a little dubious about it since it is significantly higher than all my other practice tests. But I'm still hoping....

Did you take the real thing yet? I had similar scores on the NBMEs, took the real thing last week and the suspense is killing me.

I've been following this thread on and off, thought I'd share my test experience.

Just took the beast today! I spent about 3 months to prepare:

1st month: had classes so I only did 1 kaplan qbank a night (most nights...) , took about 3 hours + annotating FA and reading relevant pages in FA. I was getting low 50s/high 40s when I started (which is expected).

2nd month: did pathoma over winter break. DIT when I came back form break (15 day pass). finished kaplan qbank (overall 61%, had a rough start). and took school administered NBME basic science exam - 235

3rd month: Uworld + numerous passes through FA and pathoma for my weak areas. I also went over about 1/2 the questions I got wrong in UW (ran out of time). 2 weeks before my exam I took NBME 7 - 248. finsihed UW with 74% (was getting upper 70s/low 80s consistently in the last 15ish blocks). my last 10 blocks averaged to 78%. The week before my exam I hammered home the short term memory info, i.e. embryology, biochem, pharm, and micro.

Exam day:
I can't say specifics about the exam, but I can say it was more challenging than typical UW questions and several levels above NBME. I feel like NBME questions are just too easy to actually prepare for the real thing. It might be a good score predictor, but I got a lot more out of doing UW questions and reasoning my way through things. I spoke with several third and fourth year students and they all claimed that their real exam was similar to UW (difficulty wise), but I feel like the Step 1 is going towards a new direction, i.e. no more buzz words, no more classical phrases, longer more complicated histories with multiple issues and plenty of distractors. All in all I don't think I could have prepared myself any better for the real exam. The test just comes down to applying your knowledge, performing on the day of the exam, and hoping for questions that test your strengths.
:D

got my score back this week: 253!

Honestly, walking out of the exam room I was expecting high 230s, but I guess things work out in the end...:cool:

For those who had their scores back, what's your take on the percentage correct to break 260? How many errors per section?

Members don't see this ad :)
dear kaplan qbank users,

a question here
if i tick the box for microbiology,are the antimicrobial questions included as part of microbiology discipline?

Hello,
I'm an IMG hoping to take Step 1 in the first week of August. Which gives me 4 months to read.

First thing I did was to come here and read through all the posts.

I've gotten FA2012 and a UWorld subscription, and a heck of a lot of other textbooks

My plan is to learn FA and UWorld questions cold, supplement my biochemistry, anatomy and behavioral science with textbooks, watch the Kaplan and Pathoma videos. I'll use WebPath for images.

I'm aiming for a 240 and above. I hope four months is more than enough time to achieve this.

Which of these is better to register for as a second qbank? KAPLAN or USMLERx? I can only afford one of these two in addition to my UWorld subscription.

Does anyone have any additional preparation advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good luck to everybody here.

May I just add that I think phloston is amazing!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

One more question. When beginning First aid, is it better to do UWorld section by section or is it better to start doing it mixed from the get-go?

Did you take the real thing yet? I had similar scores on the NBMEs, took the real thing last week and the suspense is killing me.

I haven't taken it yet. If our practice test scores are similar then you should do me a favor and get an absurdly high score on the real thing. How hard was it compared to different practices?

One more question. When beginning First aid, is it better to do UWorld section by section or is it better to start doing it mixed from the get-go?

I don't know if its better or not, but I did Uworld by section bc I used Uworld as a learning tool, not an assessment tool. Doing Uworld by section helped to really learn the material bc you are seeing the same concepts over and over.

Hello,
I'm an IMG hoping to take Step 1 in the first week of August. Which gives me 4 months to read.

First thing I did was to come here and read through all the posts.

I've gotten FA2012 and a UWorld subscription, and a heck of a lot of other textbooks

My plan is to learn FA and UWorld questions cold, supplement my biochemistry, anatomy and behavioral science with textbooks, watch the Kaplan and Pathoma videos. I'll use WebPath for images.

I'm aiming for a 240 and above. I hope four months is more than enough time to achieve this.

Which of these is better to register for as a second qbank? KAPLAN or USMLERx? I can only afford one of these two in addition to my UWorld subscription.

Does anyone have any additional preparation advice? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Good luck to everybody here.

May I just add that I think phloston is amazing!

My advice:

1) Dump the biochemistry textbook. Even FAid is a bit of an overkill for biochem. Most people are reporting very few pathways questions. FAid is more than enough to cover this.

2) Do you have 4 full months or do you have clinical electives..etc? If it's the latter, then I think you would do better if you just concentrate on USMLE World and leave Kaplan (except for anatomy) or other QBanks. Know it cold. Better than doing all of Kaplan or USMLERx. I made the mistake of starting USMLE World too late. The sage advice: knowing few sources extremely well is better than knowing many not too well.

My advice:

1) Dump the biochemistry textbook. Even FAid is a bit of an overkill for biochem. Most people are reporting very few pathways questions. FAid is more than enough to cover this.

2) Do you have 4 full months or do you have clinical electives..etc? If it's the latter, then I think you would do better if you just concentrate on USMLE World and leave Kaplan (except for anatomy) or other QBanks. Know it cold. Better than doing all of Kaplan or USMLERx. I made the mistake of starting USMLE World too late. The sage advice: knowing few sources extremely well is better than knowing many not too well.

Thank you for the advice! :)

I have four full months. I'm starting a Masters in the US in August, so I quit work four months early to get Step 1 out of the way before coming over. I know I need a really good score to be competitive, so I decided to make the financial sacrifice and get it over with.

Please outside of FA, in your opinion what other textbooks helped the most in your preparations as regards the actual questions on that day? I'd appreciate a rank list in order of the most useful to the least useful.

I presume Pathoma + Goljan + Kaplan videos covers the video tutorials end of preparations

Thank you for the advice! :)

I have four full months. I'm starting a Masters in the US in August, so I quit work four months early to get Step 1 out of the way before coming over. I know I need a really good score to be competitive, so I decided to make the financial sacrifice and get it over with.

Please outside of FA, in your opinion what other textbooks helped the most in your preparations as regards the actual questions on that day? I'd appreciate a rank list in order of the most useful to the least useful.

I presume Pathoma + Goljan + Kaplan videos covers the video tutorials end of preparations

OK if you have four full months, you have plenty of time.

Goljan is amazing and I thought it's probably the best medical textbook I have ever encountered. It's definitely over the top, but almost any low yield question you will encounter will come out from this. The only issue is that it's really dense: if you haven't any readings from it before, I'm not sure how accessible it will be. A close second is Webpath - the questions more so than the images. Another fantastic resource.

I would also use an anatomy source. High Yield Anatomy is probably the best. You need to know what to ignore - it's also over the top, but it definitely has the type of anatomy questions USMLE World and the real thing like to ask.

FAid imo is more than sufficient for everything else. After you really make sure you nail it, you can add another resource if you felt the need. And by nailing First Aid I mean getting to know the tiniest detail in the margins. This is by far the most critical step.

Last edited:
CDI, I can't remember but did you purchase Rx?

For the others, is Rx worth purchasing?

As you probably know, Rx is made by the same people who make FA and references it greatly. So, I don't think it would be particularly bad to get, especially if you want further solidification on content presented in FA.

I have found it useful. I am the type of person who needs to go over things multiple times so Rx has been perfect for me. The way I see it is a way cheaper alternative to DIT as a way to beat FA into your head.

I would also say 1/50 questions is something pretty high yield that is not included in FA. You will know because they don't have any pages attached to the question. It is my guess that these questions are related to word of mouth past exam material (spitballing here) and I find it helpful to annotate only those questions into FA. Just my guess, don't rip me for it, ha.

All in all it is worth the money if you are looking for an active learning method to get through FA. The questions are on the easy side though.

As you probably know, Rx is made by the same people who make FA and references it greatly. So, I don't think it would be particularly bad to get, especially if you want further solidification on content presented in FA.

I have found it useful. I am the type of person who needs to go over things multiple times so Rx has been perfect for me. The way I see it is a way cheaper alternative to DIT as a way to beat FA into your head.

I would also say 1/50 questions is something pretty high yield that is not included in FA. You will know because they don't have any pages attached to the question. It is my guess that these questions are related to word of mouth past exam material (spitballing here) and I find it helpful to annotate only those questions into FA. Just my guess, don't rip me for it, ha.

All in all it is worth the money if you are looking for an active learning method to get through FA. The questions are on the easy side though.

Thanks brews. Just purchased it a short while ago. Fortunate enough, to have the in house videos that I got from my friend a few weeks ago. So, I'll probably watch those at night when I'm tired of studying or while in bed.

Rather watch these videos and try to absorb as much as I can instead of watching Parks 'n Recreation or so...regardless of how hot Rashida Jones is...:naughty:

Test is 9 days away and I was wondering what sort of score range I should keep in my mind.
Kalpan QBank:55%
UWorld first pass:59%
UWorld second pass:78%(Still working on it)
UWSA 1 and 2:221
NBME5:212
NBME6:221
NBME7:228
NBME11:228(Took this two days ago)
Would be taking NBME 12 and 13 in next few days!

Test is 9 days away and I was wondering what sort of score range I should keep in my mind.
Kalpan QBank:55%
UWorld first pass:59%
UWorld second pass:78%(Still working on it)
UWSA 1 and 2:221
NBME5:212
NBME6:221
NBME7:228
NBME11:228(Took this two days ago)
Would be taking NBME 12 and 13 in next few days!

It is my opinion that your recent NBME11 probably knows better than us as to what you will do on test day. I have a question though. I am trying to plan out when to take my NBMEs (test is 2.5 months away). Why are you taking two in you final week? Wouldn't it be more advantageous to put that time toward locking in pharm/embryo/biochem?

Not trying to critique at all I woud just like to know your point of view. Thanks.

I have left the last 4 days for only FA and some marked questions from UW. Plus I look at FA everyday few pages.

Its absolutely worth purchasing but it really depends on the time you have.

If you don't have a lot of time, but are on a 2nd run of UW, its a good 'downtime' Qbank when your brain is fried from all the FA + UW. Don't worry about getting through it all though.

Very do-able with your NBME scores; I scored a 220 on both NBME 11/12 I remember, and ended up with a low 230s score. Good luck
Thanks for the reply StayHumble.
Is there anything particular I should do In the last couple of days. I plan to go over FA and look over some of the UW questions I got wrong.

Guys I feel that 2013 exams are underestimating more than the previous year exams and we got lower scores compared to our performance if we entered exams in the last year
I got average score in my step 1 exam which was lower than my last nbme ?

Am I the only one who feels that ??

Very do-able with your NBME scores; I scored a 220 on both NBME 11/12 I remember, and ended up with a low 230s score. Good luck
Is it normal that as the test day comes close, more and more negative thoughts come into your mind or is it only me? I have studied hard but every now and then I get the feeling that on the test day I am gonna crash and burn.
I cant seem to block out the negative thoughts.
If anyone here had this problem, what did you do?
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Is it normal that as the test day comes close, more and more negative thoughts come into your mind or is it only me? I have studied hard but every now and then I get the feeling that on the test day I am gonna crash and burn.

Take a deep breath, relax, and clear your mind ;)

You just have to remind yourself that you didn't spend the last few months playing games... you worked your butt off (ideally). All that prep doesn't slip out of your head unless you freak out. I had similar feelings w/ about 2 weeks to go, but reminded myself of this and was able to remain cool and calm on test day.

For the last couple of days, you have the right idea; quick reads of FA only (the key is DO NOT get bogged down if you read something and get confused!!! Trust in your prep that you learned it previously and know it, are only having a temporary lapse and move on; remember, on a multiple choice test you don't need to know every nitpicky detail or curveball in order to succeed).

I didn't have time to go over UWorld in the final week as I'd hoped (I had detailed notes printed out too, but it was just too overwhelming for me as I read those trivial factoids; it pushed me toward the freaking out I advised you not to do hehe...) but wish I had time/patience to do so, might've got me closer to that 240. I spent the time instead on super crammable subjects (i.e. anatomy from FA diagrams, embryo from FA, pharm from FA).

Again, good luck; and remember to stay calm- you know this stuff at this point, trust your instincts.

What helped me suppress those thoughts was skimming FA or reading my UW notes lightly. Also, took plenty of lengthy (couple hrs) breaks and got some fresh air.

Also, anytime a concept came to mind, which I couldn't repeat to myself or just had a brain-fart about, I'd look it up immediately, regardless of the subject it was or how trivial. I'd be glad I was able to look at it again before my exam.

In the end of prep, I don't think following a strict schedule is a good idea, as not finishing what you planned for the day can definitely add to the stress. Obviously hitting FA biochem, micro, pharm, embryo is a good idea but beyond that don't put too much on your plate.

That's like asking if FA is worth purchasing.

FA and Rx are made by the same authors, where Rx reinforces FA. They should be viewed collectively as one resource. I had also encountered stuff in Rx that showed up on my exam that I hadn't seen in Kaplan or UWorld.

FA and Rx are made by the same authors, where Rx reinforces FA. They should be viewed collectively as one resource. I had also encountered stuff in Rx that showed up on my exam that I hadn't seen in Kaplan or UWorld.

Hi Pholston, can you say the same about kaplan q bank also?(i.e Qs from kaplan qbank)
Since am just doing Rx and UW with FA and pathoma.
Thanks.

As someone who's already gone through FA, can I reasonably expect to finish usmleRX in ONE week? assuming 12-14 hr/day

Part of doing Rx is being able to review the copied FA page at the bottom of the question - so its not only questions.

Although, I do agree, doing only questions of any source, for 12-14 hrs a day is more likely to be detrimental than actually help you.

Checking in with everybody....starting to see light at the end of the tunnel with step 1 w/in a week and a half.

UWorld 1st Pass 64%
Usmle Rx 76%
UWorld 2nd Pass 81% (74% done, hoping to finish it all)
NBME Form 15 224 (510)....ouch but I'll stick to the plan and keep working hard till test date
UWSA 1
UWSA 2....both to be taken soon

Anybody else with a form 15 wake-up call? Good luck everybody.

Nice work. I think your UW score correlates to a higher score than what you got on NBME 15 (which is the latest one). How long ago did you take the NBME? And are you focusing on FA now?

hey guys...can anybody help me with the downloaded versions of nbme forms cos i simply cant seem to find them anywhere...if any one of u have them could u kindly send it to me or atleast tell me where to hunt for it...it would be a favour....Thank you....:)

I am now 3 weeks out. So far on NBMEs I have:

Form 5 2 months ago:191
NBME 13 1.5 months ago: 228
NBME 6 2-3 weeks ago:226
NBME 7 yesterday:235

I still have ~30% of Uworld left and am rereading first aid and watching Pathoma. It would be nice to get 240.

Anybody else working through Kaplan qbank right now? I'm about halfway through the bank, sitting at 60% overall and trending upward. I haven't started UWorld yet, but I have to say I'm pretty pleased with Kaplan. I had read about how much minutiae was tested (and there is some), but overall I feel like it's a good bank that I'm learning a great deal from.

I know Phloston finished the entire qbank, but can anyone else comment on the importance of completely exhausting Kaplan? I'm planning on starting UWorld next month, and I'd really like to just focus on it rather than switching back and forth between question banks. Thoughts?

BTW, I swear I'm not a Kaplan troll haha.

Anybody else working through Kaplan qbank right now? I'm about halfway through the bank, sitting at 60% overall and trending upward. I haven't started UWorld yet, but I have to say I'm pretty pleased with Kaplan. I had read about how much minutiae was tested (and there is some), but overall I feel like it's a good bank that I'm learning a great deal from.

I know Phloston finished the entire qbank, but can anyone else comment on the importance of completely exhausting Kaplan? I'm planning on starting UWorld next month, and I'd really like to just focus on it rather than switching back and forth between question banks. Thoughts?

BTW, I swear I'm not a Kaplan troll haha.

I did it. Only section I didn't finish was the neuro portion and biostats. Yeah, it's slightly more challenging compared to UWorld, but I was happy with the results. Had two questions verbatim show up on my CBSE.

However, I feel the explanations at times, especially for the cadio portion - on second thought, only the cardio physio portion; really lacked at times. It was good too, that they gave the reference of where the info is in FA, to reduce time to search through FA.

Don't forget to do WebPath questions. Another free 2,900 questions. Also check out www.usmlequickprep.com which has 4,000 free questions.