Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure I "killed" it, but I am pleased.

For anatomy, there were lymph nodes, one muscle insertion, 3 CTs of the head, upper limb nerves, one myotome, like 10 neuroanatomy questions at least. I don't think FAid + USMLE are good if you want to kill anatomy. I would supplement them ideally with High Yield Anatomy and Kaplan notes for neuroanatomy.

What about pelvis?

Did anyone use Gunner training and feel like it helped you with Step1? I am finishing M1 and was maybe thinking to use GT to solidify M1 material and use it in conjunction with M2 classes.

I heard that it is basically FA in flashcard form, so I was thinking it would maybe give me a jump/head start in Step Prep.

Thanks!

Jorje, how many genetics/molecular questions would you say you had?

4-5 ethics/biostats questions = 28-35 questions, over 10% of the total exam. That'll be a good buffer, assuming you got those questions right. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Jorje, how many genetics/molecular questions would you say you had?

4-5 ethics/biostats questions = 28-35 questions, over 10% of the total exam. That'll be a good buffer, assuming you got those questions right. :D

I can't really tell, but maybe my assessment is biased because you have to spend more time on these questions as they involve experiments and stuff. But they were definitely significant.

Yes, assuming I got the questions right. The problem with the ethics questions is that you always have a good feeling about your answers, but you don't know what surprises are waiting for you. I did really well on UWorld behavioral science (I think it was like 88%), but I flopped badly on Kaplan's. Rule of thumb is that you always go for the open ended questions "tell me more about your issues" and it seems to work all of the time.

I can't really tell, but maybe my assessment is biased because you have to spend more time on these questions as they involve experiments and stuff. But they were definitely significant.

Yes, assuming I got the questions right. The problem with the ethics questions is that you always have a good feeling about your answers, but you don't know what surprises are waiting for you. I did really well on UWorld behavioral science (I think it was like 88%), but I flopped badly on Kaplan's. Rule of thumb is that you always go for the open ended questions "tell me more about your issues" and it seems to work all of the time.

Yeah, Kaplan's ethics questions were crazy tough. I remember majority of the questions, the percentage correct was less than 35%.

For the genetics/molecular would you say no more than 14 questions for the whole exam? Say 2 per/block? Crazy, how you had a lot of anatomy as well...do you think Kaplan Anatomy is enough?

Just got my scores back.

USMLE step 1: 249

Took total of 4 NBME within a week from exam all averaged 246

Do kaplan q bank once
Go over USMLE world and wrong ones again
Read first aid five or six times

Above is what I did.

Good luck to future test takers!!

Last edited:
Just got my scores back.

USMLE step 1: 249

Took total of 4 NBME within a week from exam all averaged 246

Do kaplan q bank once
Go over USMLE world twice
Read first aid five or six times

Above is what I did.

Good luck to future test takers!!

I wonder why going over UWorld twice is beneficial? I usually spend about two hours before going to bed and reading the explanations for all of the questions.

has anyone just done uworld + FA and got > 220?

I'd think you would have to know those two resources cold to do well. A classmate of mine did this. Did the UWorld questions and read each and every explanation, regardless of how easy the questions were. Read FA once, and landed with a 229.

I'd like to add though, I think getting a certain test makes a big difference too. Getting a test with your weaknesses predominating = yikes.

I'd think you would have to know those two resources cold to do well. A classmate of mine did this. Did the UWorld questions and read each and every explanation, regardless of how easy the questions were. Read FA once, and landed with a 229.

I'd like to add though, I think getting a certain test makes a big difference too. Getting a test with your weaknesses predominating = yikes.

Thanks!!! Im a third year so Ive been on rotations and such, but I also forgot lot of details of step 1 - like MOA's and biochemistry and anatomy. I'm re-reading FA so its coming back to me slowly.

I just want 220 at least

I got a 270 with Uworld+FA+Goljan audio+NBME13. You don't have to spend a ton of money and go over a bunch of different materials, just know those really well.

I go to a school where we do 1 year of clinicals before taking step 1, so I think this helped. What also helped was I worked very hard during the first 2.5 years of med school before I took step 1. I knew the material cold, and while I forgot a lot of it over time, it came back quickly when step studying. I'm also a good test taker and probably got some luck on test day. My NBME13 score was 1 point from my actual score.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 270 with Uworld+FA+Goljan audio+NBME13. You don't have to spend a ton of money and go over a bunch of different materials, just know those really well.

I go to a school where we do 1 year of clinicals before taking step 1, so I think this helped. What also helped was I worked very hard during the first 2.5 years of med school before I took step 1. I knew the material cold, and while I forgot a lot of it over time, it came back quickly when step studying. I'm also a good test taker and probably got some luck on test day. My NBME13 score was 1 point from my actual score.

Wow thanks Rick !!

What did you get on your MCAT? Do you have a really good memory, or something? Can you read minds? But seriously, I want your brain.

some days i just get so burned out and don't even care if i get a 200 on this exam. i hate having those days. i hate having to watch kaplan biostat vids...probably the longest damn videos in the entire kaplan program:thumbdown:

some days i just get so burned out and don't even care if i get a 200 on this exam. i hate having those days. i hate having to watch kaplan biostat vids...probably the longest damn videos in the entire kaplan program:thumbdown:

Same here. I know what it feels like.

Wow:thumbup:
Can u please elaborate on your preparation and test taking strategies?

That's amazing! Seems like you have a rock solid foundation of basic sciences and are studying at a good med school.

The truth is that LIR Pharmacology is waay too big. But definitely not disorganized! Some chapters are gold (like kinetics-dynamics, cardiovascular, autonomic)! Neuro and micro drugs not so good indeed. I don't know about Katzung.
I 've also purchased Kaplan Pharm cards and my impression is so so...

Bottom line: stick to FA and Qbanks. If you need more info on mechanisms of actions, or on pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics go to LIR.

Going back to Lippincott, it is disorganized in the sense that the figures and the text don't always conform in basic things like toxicities and use. There are good chapters, but even the good ones like autonomic sometimes fail to mention drugs in FAid (for such a huge book this is ridiculous). IMO even as a big, exaushtive review, it is not good. As you can see I'm still bitter about it, because I spent a lot of time trying to master only to find that.... there's so much different and extra in FAid.

Just finished. Honestly, Im not sure how I did. Felt pretty rough, and some stems were ridiculously long.

It was a microbiology board exam, which also tested my algebraic skills, and used a crap load of arrows for spirometry to confuse the hell out of me as the exam progressed.

I found myself getting pissed off a few times, cause I knew 2 answers could be correct (even trickier than UW), which was some serious BS. It's like they just wanted to screw some people over who pick the other answer. (Actually I'm sure they do.)

Didn't really feel the exhaustion factor everyone talks about. Maybe cause I slept like a baby last night. Took a break after every block, just helped keep me somewhat sane. Wanted to throw my mouse at the keyboard-masher behind me but I restrained myself.

A fair number of auto-clicks. Some I was sure that middle school science was enough for.

I flagged like a madman, and probably changed 4-5 answers at the last second (to the right answer luckily).

No crazy CTs, but a lot of gross patho specimens, and every image of a rash they could come up with.

I'd be happy as hell if I got a 220...but at this point I'll take a pass so I can just move on and never look back.

Last edited:
Congrats CDI! Which NBME did it feel most similar to in terms of timing, not necessarily difficulty.

Congrats CDI! Which NBME did it feel most similar to in terms of timing, not necessarily difficulty.

Its hard to say specifically. I'd say whatever is the longest in terms of stem length. (Maybe the latest one?)

I flew through the first two blocks with 10-15 mins to spare each. Third and fourth block wrecked me cause of stem length, and wtf questions right off the bat. I made some careless mistakes on a couple gimmes cause I was rattled by those. Recovered on the last 3 blocks, and finished each block w/ 7-10 mins.

Just finished. Honestly, Im not sure how I did. Felt pretty rough, and some stems were ridiculously long.

It was a microbiology board exam, which also tested my stoichiometry skills, and used a crap load of arrows for spirometry to confuse the hell out of me as the exam progressed.

I found myself getting pissed off a few times, cause I knew 2 answers could be correct (even trickier than UW), which was some serious BS. It's like they just wanted to screw some people over who pick the other answer. (Actually I'm sure they do.)

Didn't really feel the exhaustion factor everyone talks about. Maybe cause I slept like a baby last night. Took a break after every block, just helped keep me somewhat sane. Wanted to throw my mouse at the keyboard-masher behind me but I restrained myself.

A fair number of auto-clicks. Some I was sure that middle school science was enough for.

I flagged like a madman, and probably changed 4-5 answers at the last second (to the right answer luckily).

No crazy CTs, but a lot of gross patho specimens, and every image of a rash they could come up with.

I'd be happy as hell if I got a 220...but at this point I'll take a pass so I can just move on and never look back.

congrats brew...if you don't mind could you share your input on these topics:

1. genetics - did you have a lot of pedigrees or asking to calculate probability?
2. how was behavioral - lots of biostats and ethics?
3. molecular techniques
4. anatomy
5. neuroanatomy

i forgot, but what'd you use to study, & did you find it effective? what would you have done differently if you had extra month to study or so...

the best step 1 questions, imo

;)

It was a microbiology board exam, which also tested my stoichiometry skills, and used a crap load of arrows for spirometry to confuse the hell out of me as the exam progressed.

Congrats on being done. Now relax. I bet everything went well. Note that, with time, you will feel much better with your performance.
I 'll stick to the derm gross path images... Did you feel you were ready? Didn't it make sense with the stem?

Hi,

The name is Hatem, I'm from Saudi Arabia preparing for step 1 and I thought I could join you guys here in the forum...I'm doing my 5th year now, finished most of the medical rotations and still a lot of surgical rotations I didn't start them yet.

During my semester I try to study for the step from time to time and I plan to take it in August

I have been studying Pharma and in Antibiotics I faced a lot of drugs for a specific bug. for instance Chlamydia infection can be treated with doxycycline and azithromycin, so what to memorize ?! In these situations my brain just shots off ,, I hate it :mad:

congrats brew...if you don't mind could you share your input on these topics:

1. genetics - did you have a lot of pedigrees or asking to calculate probability?
2. how was behavioral - lots of biostats and ethics?
3. molecular techniques
4. anatomy
5. neuroanatomy

i forgot, but what'd you use to study, & did you find it effective? what would you have done differently if you had extra month to study or so...

1. Had 2 pedigrees. Nothing bad. More common sense than any prep.

2. Had a LOT of stats. Got hit with one of everything: ARR, PPV, Weinburg, mean, median, specificity, weird stand dev question, and some others. Taking AP Stat is good prep for this..maybe?

3. Only a couple molecular techniques Qs, very straightforward. FA covers them.

4. I felt I did okay in anat, and its because of my med school curriculum being heavy with that. Had very little to do with my actual prep, as I never spent extra time on that. FA can't cover it here. UW/Qbanks + some supplement would be needed if your curriculum doesn't cover it well.

5. I would say I had an average number of neuro. Thats really just luck of the draw. Mine weren't too bad either. FA was enough in my case. I looked at 3 selected pages out of Kaplan neuro this morning before the exam...and got 2 right out of that.

My prep: I used Kaplan initially - did physio, biochem, and immuno - wasnt very useful. Switched to Pathoma, FA and UW exclusively after that. I never memorized FA but got through it 2-3 times.

I felt like Pathoma didn't really get me anything extra that I couldn't get with UW or FA alone. I felt okay in path before though, so its hard to say for others.

I was surprised with biochem. Literally zero pathway questions. Kept asking about vitamins and only a few enzyme deficiencies.

Pharma was mostly just "what drug do you use/was used here?" As mentioned before, very straightforward.

Micro was insane. Seriously felt like every other question was a bug or worm. I just checked online and realized they gave me an image straight off Wikipedia :laugh:. (Of course, I had changed it to the wrong answer, like a fool.)

If I had an extra month, I would've just kept flipping through FA. Would've prevented me from losing the handful of gimmes I know I got wrong after narrowing them down to 2 choices and just not being able to remember which was which. (I've always had that problem though, so I may have made those mistakes anyways, unless I created extra pneumonics.)

Last edited:
;)

Congrats on being done. Now relax. I bet everything went well. Note that, with time, you will feel much better with your performance.
I 'll stick to the derm gross path images... Did you feel you were ready? Didn't it make sense with the stem?

Derm images were heavy, every possible rash - I got. Id seen them as spotters or in textbooks while in school, not so much during prep though. Stems weren't helpful on some of those.

I don't know if I'll really feel better as time goes on. I know some gimmes I got wrong just due to recall error...those def sting.

What did you get on your MCAT? Do you have a really good memory, or something? Can you read minds? But seriously, I want your brain.

41, I studied/did engineering for a while so I'm a pretty good problem solver, which helps on the weird questions that always pop up on standardized tests :)

Wow:thumbup:
Can u please elaborate on your preparation and test taking strategies?

Prep: read through FA slowly over 7-10 days. Went through UWorld by systems, followed by re-reading the corresponding organ system section in FA. Went through Uworld a second time pretty quickly this time by general science principles while re-reading the corresponding general science section in FA. Then re-did wrong questions from UWorld. Took a UW self assessment every 2 weeks, took NBME 13 one week before the exam. Listened to Goljan while in the car or exercising. total study time 7 weeks.

Test-taking strategies: Don't over think the question. If you have a gut instinct, choose the answer and move on. Give yourself plenty of time to figure out the tricky ones. In general for any standardized test, try to get into the mind of the person writing the test and try to figure out how they are trying to trick you or what answer they are looking for. Also, make sure you are well rested.

2. Had a LOT of stats. Got hit with one of everything: ARR, PPV, Weinburg, mean, median, specificity, weird stand dev question, and some others. Taking AP Stat is good prep for this..maybe?

pneumonics

Thanks for that awesome write up mang.

lol @ "pneumonics" awesome use of homophones...

yeah, it seems like people are saying the latest trend has been lots of stats. I guess that's good if you're good at it and strong at it. Friend said he had about 6 per block. Goodness, that's 42, almost a whole block just on stats. Can you imagine how much it could bolster your grade by getting all those right? :D

For anatomy, im praying that just doing upper limb, lower limb, artery flow, nerve innervation, reflexes, dermatomes, should suffice.

Thanks for that awesome write up mang.

lol @ "pneumonics" awesome use of homophones...

yeah, it seems like people are saying the latest trend has been lots of stats. I guess that's good if you're good at it and strong at it. Friend said he had about 6 per block. Goodness, that's 42, almost a whole block just on stats. Can you imagine how much it could bolster your grade by getting all those right? :D

For anatomy, im praying that just doing upper limb, lower limb, artery flow, nerve innervation, reflexes, dermatomes, should suffice.

I think I did okay with stats. There were some that just take time. I felt that there was no way to do them any faster unless you'd memorized that exact question set-up previously and knew what they were asking (some weren't straightforward). Thats where qbanks come in, I think. If you get those Qs with a couple up/down endo/CVS/resp arrow Qs in the same block, you may be tight on time.

On a positive note, I don't think I missed a single ethics question. That was for whatever odd reason always my strongest subject. Some of the ethics terms were not in FA or UW. Just reasoned them out though and I'd just known them from God knows where. I was literally recalling stuff from high school on this exam. :laugh:

Its perfectly normal to feel like this, even if you actually dominated the thing. Don't let it get you down, and try your best to enjoy the next 3 weeks. Congrats on finishing!

Last edited:
Its perfectly normal to feel like this, even you actually dominated the thing. Don't let it get you down, and try your best to enjoy the next 3 weeks. Congrats on finishing!

Thank you! I'm definitely no Step 1 titan, just being realistic with my expectations here. I stand for the average-man. :laugh:

I got some good (mind-numbing) stuff lined up the next week or so. I'll be moving on to Step 2 prep by April. Unlike Step 1, looking forward to try and crack that one.

Yes, ONLY those 2 and got a 257. I walked out of the exam feeling like I did pretty well. It's best to not think about any questions you found tricky and save all of that stress for the week you get your score back ;)

Thank you! I'm definitely no Step 1 titan, just being realistic with my expectations here. I stand for the average-man. :laugh:

I got some good (mind-numbing) stuff lined up the next week or so. I'll be moving on to Step 2 prep by April. Unlike Step 1, looking forward to try and crack that one.

Congrats on being done... now go sip some pina coladas!!!! and let the rest of us wish we were in your place :D

Hey everyone, I may have time to do uworld twice OR do uworld once and kaplan once during my dedicated period. What would be the best use of time? I've heard good and bad things about Kaplan. Especially that it may be too detail heavy for the last month of prep.

It was a microbiology board exam, which also tested my algebraic skills, and used a crap load of arrows for spirometry to confuse the hell out of me as the exam progressed.

CDI, congrats on being done man!!!

Hey guys, I just took nbme 7 and got 228, I have 19 days until my step.

NBME 11 5 weeks ago -231
NBME 12 3 weeks ago -291
NBME 13 2 weeks ago- 221

I have gone thru UW once (72%) and started the second run thru. Still have 1100 questions in Rx, and I still havent been able to read thru FA, but I did do DIT 12 once thoroughly and Pathoma...I started going thru DIT again but not sure if it's a good use of my time...

Still have UWSA's to use and nbme 15 if you guys think it's a good idea to do that form.

What do you guys think would be a good strategy/schedule/focus for last 19 days??
Really shooting for 235+

Thanks soo much in advance!

Hey guys, I just took nbme 7 and got 228, I have 19 days until my step.

NBME 11 5 weeks ago -231
NBME 12 3 weeks ago -291
NBME 13 2 weeks ago- 221

I have gone thru UW once (72%) and started the second run thru. Still have 1100 questions in Rx, and I still havent been able to read thru FA, but I did do DIT 12 once thoroughly and Pathoma...I started going thru DIT again but not sure if it's a good use of my time...

Still have UWSA's to use and nbme 15 if you guys think it's a good idea to do that form.

What do you guys think would be a good strategy/schedule/focus for last 19 days??
Really shooting for 235+

Thanks soo much in advance!

Two things:

I saw the 'NBME 12: 291' and my mind went blank.

I think you gotta hit FA. It'll get you more auto-clicks correct, and you can save time there if you know the FA facts w/o second guessing yourself.

Two things:

I saw the 'NBME 12: 291' and my mind went blank.

I think you gotta hit FA. It'll get you more auto-clicks correct, and you can save time there if you know the FA facts w/o second guessing yourself.

Good to hear. I always wondered why people suggest reading FA inside out. So you def. think, you would've been stuck on a few questions, or it would've taken you longer to answer them - had you not read FA inside & out?

I posted in last years thread...I suppose I can put it in this one again.

1) A lot of the questions appear very difficult on the surface (I was asked why heparin is used when starting warfarin - but none of the answers were "because protein C has a short half life" but indirectly it was in one of the answers), but the concept is tied up in the one of the answers. I promise!

2) The anatomy is tricky. I think I had a total of about 15-20 anatomy questions total ranging from which lymph nodes does this cancer go to? To here is an MRI of a leg - identify this muscle. Know your brachial plexus, 3 of my questions were directly from lesions to the arm.

3) There was a lot of Pharm on my test - I would guess 10 per section. A lot of it was straight forward. Which is this drug? Some of it more difficult - here is a micro question what is the MOA of the drug used to treat it?

4) My microbiology was very interesting. I would say there were about 2 "what is its envelope / DNA structure type questions" a lot of them were "What is this?" Some of them were quite difficult and were not the traditional appearance but they always gave you enough information that if you understood the characteristics about the bug then you could determine the cause (only 2-3 really tricky ones total).

5) Physiology - you better know this inside and out. This, in my opinion, was where they really challenged you. They will give you a syndrome and ask what will happen to 3 of the variables (such as LH, FSH, Est for a woman) - and they will give you all 8 possibilities as answers. You really just need to know the answer can't really use process of elimination to help yourself there.

6) Heme / Onc REALLY STRAIGHT FORWARD everything was 100% text book case and they would ask "which chromosome" or for a renal cell CA I was asked "which Gene?"

7) Images - I think there were only 1/2 where I had to really look at the image to see what was happening. Most of the time the images were not necessary. For instance, a woman with heavy menstrual bleeding would have a picture of hypochromic anemia ----duuuuuuh. Or post transplant pneumonia....

8) Heart sounds - Absolutely cool. It was nice that they showed the carotid arteries move on every pulse (ie. systole no guessing which one is S1 or S2). I ended up taking this test at the end of my 3rd year and I can tell you - it was way easier on this test than in real life. 2nd - I had 3 and my friend had 4 and in the n=7 population, neither one of us needed the image. We had a diagnosis straight from the question stem.

9) When given a weird experiment that some scientist did make sure you take a second and ask yourself "what the eff are the asking?" Don't just jump straight to the data. I had 1/2 where the first time I read it I was thinking...the heck?!?!? But if you take an extra minute and really figure out what the test is looking at the answer just jumps out at you. Dont worry you will have time at the end to finish questions.

10) There will be questions that when you look at them you will think to yourself - yup no idea. There were some on my test that asked "which p450 isoenzyme is used for this" and the answers were "2d6,2d9,3a4, etc." Or here is a disease that I'm sure you have never seen before but none of the other ones make sense so I'm going to guess that. In the end, I really doubt those count significantly towards your score so dont freak out when you dont know the weird hormone elevation when a person has a strange disease.

Overall I think the HARDEST part of the test was endurance. Its an 8 hour test and there towards the end I could definitely feel my brain starting to rot. Make sure you save some break time for the end. And relax, the test is a lot easier than you think it is - most of the questions have simple answers written in strange ways. Don't freak out when the text book answer isn't there.

NBME 11: 6 weeks out 255
NBME 13: 4 weeks out 263

I took the test my school offered pre-studying 4 months out - and got a 186. I only studied for this test for dedicated full time for 7 weeks. I felt that was more than enough - way more than enough.
I'll post my score when I get it back. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Just an update, REAL EXAM: 269/91

Pretty happy right now.

What would you recommend someone who has 10 days left for the exam and if you were to go back and do it all over again would you do something different except going over FA as you mentioned.
Thank you and good luck with your score.

Good to hear. I always wondered why people suggest reading FA inside out. So you def. think, you would've been stuck on a few questions, or it would've taken you longer to answer them - had you not read FA inside & out?

Yep. FA covers most of the auto-clicks, and gives you a solid base to at least have an idea on topics you may have not otherwise covered in depth.

Even after reading FA, I know I got at least 5 (and I'm sure more) blatant gimmes wrong after narrowing it down to 2 choices. Those were just do to recall error. One or two I knew as soon as the block ended, that I got it wrong. I just couldn't sort it out/be sure, quick enough in that moment.