Official 2013 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phloston

Osaka, Japan
Removed
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I figure now is a good time to jump-start this thread.

Even though some of us who had taken the exam in late-2012 are still awaiting our scores (amid the holiday delays) and could technically still post within last year's thread, it is after all mid-January now, so it's probably apposite that we move forward and hope for a great year.

:luck: Cheers to 2013 :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

Actually Rx finally changed their format. I too had an inflated score - 250 + which is not near the228 I got on NBME 13 but just one week ago they changed formats and my score went from 250 + to 221. It was a little disappointing but way more accurate. As for their simulated exams I don't know if they are still inflated. I will be taking another NBME in the next day or 2 and will see if my score is close to what Rx predicted.

How many questions did you have to get through to start seeing the predicted cumulative score in Rx?

I was going to do a simulated 4-block tonight to see where it puts me. My guess is that it would overpredict my last NBME (221) by a bit.

I don't think it is just the number of questions done but also the distribution. I have 2100+ questions finished but mine still says "insufficient data to calculate". I am thinking this is because I am going through the questions subject-by-subject. Before they redid the predictor I was showing a number though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I finished Rx EIGHT MONTHS-OUT, and it predicted 275+. 275+.

Rx's prediction system is ******ed. I was probably sitting at a high-230, or just nicking 240, by the time I had finished Rx.

I know this in retrospect based on how much I had learned since then.

Yeah, I remember reading your post about that. :laugh:

If I'm sitting above a 230 in 2 weeks (exam day)...I'd be stoked. I feel like I'm forgetting more than I'm learning at this point. Hope Rx can push me over that mark.

I don't think it is just the number of questions done but also the distribution. I have 2100+ questions finished but mine still says "insufficient data to calculate". I am thinking this is because I am going through the questions subject-by-subject. Before they redid the predictor I was showing a number though.

Ah, I see.

I guess the Rx numbers are ultimately better for tracking study progress and not really for real exam score prediction. If you're improving on Rx, you're obviously gaining something (FA recall/retention). I guess that's a more efficient way to use their correlation...

I just went to my RX now. And my scores went up by eight points without taking another exam. So I wouldn't put very much weight in their predicted score. I saw my predicted score after I did about 35-40% of the qbank questions. My theory is because they're a newer qbank they're working to try and make their scores more accurate. So they're probably making adjustments.

Just wanted to write something since the score thread from 2012 was pretty helpful for me.

I got a 270+ on the real test (a 270 is infrequent enough that an exact score would probably identify you).

I used mainly FA 2012, UWorld, Pathoma, Goljan Rapid Review Pathology and the Kaplan videos. I then added other sources to cover my weak points. (For example, I read the textbook Physiology by Costanzo and Clinically Oriented Anatomy for some topics I had trouble with. I also read a review book for micro.)

I also used the Kaplan videos -- mostly for Anatomy/Embryology (amazing), Neuroanatomy (boring but I guess even boring videos > reading books sometimes), Pharmacology (really good), Behavioral Sciences / Psych (really good but long and time-consuming), and Biochemistry (amazing) and some for Genetics (boring). I skipped videos for Pathology, Physiology, Micro/immuno, and Histology. You don't *have* to do the Kaplan videos though; if you have other resources then they probably are just as useful. Videos are just good because they're easy to watch, esp. when you don't have too much motivation to study.

I studied for the last two months of classes (and then did UWorld during dedicated study period.

I think the main advice that I can give is:

1. Don't just do something because it worked for someone else. For example, I only did UWorld questions and some of Kaplan Qbank. I did only 1 NBME. Everyone on here does a billion NBMEs which you don't always have to do (even though it likely helps, it does cost $60 each). There is some good advice on here -- just don't always listen to absolutes.

2. The one thing that Phloston says is true is that a lot of the test is simple questions -- so don't overthink it. The test is not full of hard questions (it has a greater number of hard questions than the NBMEs but the score prediction is still good). That said, don't pick an incorrect answer if you are sure it is incorrect only because it is the 'simpler' answer choice, if that makes sense.

3. Don't worry too much about the UWorld percentages. I did it in test mode in dedicated study period and my final average was in the low 80s. Compared to people on here that isn't too high.

4. Another poster in the 2012 forums said this as well, and I thought it was pretty accurate: the hard questions on this test are those where you will narrow it down to a couple of choices and then make an educated guess. Answering those really depends on having a strong and broad base of knowledge.

5. It is easy to get overwhelmed a couple days / the day before the real test. I got super nervous like ~5 days before my test because I didn't know everything about everything. (I don't think I ever really 'memorized' FA). Just be confident going in.

I'll post more if I can think of other things.

Just wanted to write something since the score thread from 2012 was pretty helpful for me.

I got a 270+ on the real test (a 270 is infrequent enough that an exact score would probably identify you).

I used mainly FA 2012, UWorld, Pathoma, Goljan Rapid Review Pathology and the Kaplan videos. I then added other sources to cover my weak points. (For example, I read the textbook Physiology by Costanzo and Clinically Oriented Anatomy for some topics I had trouble with. I also read a review book for micro.)

I also used the Kaplan videos -- mostly for Anatomy/Embryology (amazing), Neuroanatomy (boring but I guess even boring videos > reading books sometimes), Pharmacology (really good), Behavioral Sciences / Psych (really good but long and time-consuming), and Biochemistry (amazing) and some for Genetics (boring). I skipped videos for Pathology, Physiology, Micro/immuno, and Histology. You don't *have* to do the Kaplan videos though; if you have other resources then they probably are just as useful. Videos are just good because they're easy to watch, esp. when you don't have too much motivation to study.

I studied for the last two months of classes (and then did UWorld during dedicated study period.

1. Don't just do something because it worked for someone else. For example, I only did UWorld questions and some of Kaplan Qbank. I did only 1 NBME. Everyone on here does a billion NBMEs which you don't always have to do (even though it likely helps, it does cost $60 each). There is some good advice on here -- just don't always listen to absolutes.

2. The one thing that Phloston says is true is that a lot of the test is simple questions -- so don't overthink it. The test is not full of hard questions (it has a greater number of hard questions than the NBMEs but the score prediction is still good). That said, don't pick an incorrect answer if you are sure it is incorrect only because it is the 'simpler' answer choice, if that makes sense.

3. Don't worry too much about the UWorld percentages. I did it in test mode in dedicated study period and my final average was in the low 80s. Compared to people on here that isn't too high.

4. Another poster in the 2012 forums said this as well, and I thought it was pretty accurate: the hard questions on this test are those where you will narrow it down to a couple of choices and then make an educated guess. Answering those really depends on having a strong and broad base of knowledge.

5. It is easy to get overwhelmed a couple days / the day before the real test. I got super nervous like ~5 days before my test because I didn't know everything about everything. (I don't think I ever really 'memorized' FA). Just be confident going in.

Wow. Good job and thanks for the advice.

Great point on individualizing. On sdn I always hear there is only one way to do well. Interesting you only took one nbme.

Wow. Good job and thanks for the advice.

Great point on individualizing. On sdn I always hear there is only one way to do well. Interesting you only took one nbme.

It's probably cause they crushed that NBME. There's no point spending $60/pop if your feedback tells you that you're a boss and you already knew that . :laugh: I think the NBME feedback is more important earlier on to tweak prep, if/when theres still time (or) room for improvement. Once you're above a certain point it can't have the same sensitivity, cause the curve is stupidly steep.

So Im guessing theres NBME 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 ,13. Is it recommended to do all 6 in 12 days ( 1 every 2 days)? Also, do you get to see what you got wrong, and do you get to see the correct answers?

What are the offline exams that people are talking about?

So Im guessing theres NBME 5, 6, 7, 11, 12 ,13. Is it recommended to do all 6 in 12 days ( 1 every 2 days)? Also, do you get to see what you got wrong, and do you get to see the correct answers?

They just added a 15. I bought six today and was surprised to see it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Phloston, like you said in nbme 12 there's some minutiae points, so do the other forms. But on the real exam, are there minutiae points like these ones. Like does it help to learn the minutiae points in the nbmes? Thanks.

Minutiae is minutiae. There really is no way to prepare for it. You need to get lucky with the handful that show up.

That is, if there are 6 extremely bizarre questions on your real deal, and one happens to ask which BMP is expressed in the kidneys (it's BMP-7), suddenly that magazine you had read three years ago in your GP's waiting room proves to be your best resource because you had coincidentally remembered that detail from it. Minutiae comes out of nowhere. If you have a really really good memory for pretty much everything you read, you'll be at an advantage here.

Congrats, dude. If ijn were here, he'd tell you that now you need a 280+ on Step-2CK or else all PDs will think you're a complete failure.

Offline exams are the bootlegged copies of the nbme(basically screenshots). The problem with them is that there is no accurate key available, although there are keys that are close enough to give a decent prediction. It will also take some hunting on the forums to find the correct answers to some questions(in short, a pain in the a**, especially if done during your final few days). So best to avoid them unless you are certain you dont want to spend the money.

And regarding taking all of them, I dont see any point in that. They are to assess progress, and are to be spaced out in between your prep. Maybe taking more than one near your exam would help in getting an accurate prediction but imho, they wont be of further help.

Just finished NBME 6 and my score is down from my NBME a week and a half ago. Went from 228 on 13 to 226 on 6. I am a bit frustrated but maybe I took the next NBME too soon. I went up on all subject areas except my respiratory went way down so I am going to work on that.

Hi all ,
I am new to this forum,really like this thread .Congrats to all those who are done with step 1..seems like everyone's scoring in the 270s here ..
Anyways I am doing FA,uw and goljan ,not a big fan of qs especially for step 1.step 2 is a different story atleast that's what i heard.Let's see how it goes for me .Plan on taking nbme 6 soon ...

Just finished NBME 6 and my score is down from my NBME a week and a half ago. Went from 228 on 13 to 226 on 6. I am a bit frustrated but maybe I took the next NBME too soon. I went up on all subject areas except my respiratory went way down so I am going to work on that.

2 points is just noise. It would be better to interpret this as no change rather than negative change.

Thanks so much for your post. My biggest worry after reading this thread was that preparation for the USMLE was going to be almost unaffordable for me with all the resources people are saying you need. The online question banks alone are so unbelievably expensive, so I was really happy to see you mostly did Uworld and one NBME and still did amazingly. How do you mean you only did some Kaplan Qbank, did you still subscribe to them, just for a shorter time period?

Also one more quick question, I assume you didn't have a significant amount of time off uni to study for step 1, did you just study in your own time on weekends/evenings throughout?

Thanks again! xx

Last edited:

Looks like resp is your achilles? I think you mentioned you had hit BRS Physio for that previously as well.

Wouldn't be too concerned about that score 'drop'. At least you know you're locked into the mid-high 220s. Can only go up from here!

I seem to have no idea where I stand and I'm 2 weeks out. Went 186, 207, 221. FA will be the death of me...

Looks like resp is your achilles? I think you mentioned you had hit BRS Physio for that previously as well.

Wouldn't be too concerned about that score 'drop'. At least you know you're locked into the mid-high 220s. Can only go up from here!

I seem to have no idea where I stand and I'm 2 weeks out. Went 186, 207, 221. FA will be the death of me...

That is great score improvements.

Hello guys ....how arw you all doin ? ... i am new to this forum ...i am looking forward to give steps in 6 months or so ... i had one question to ask how do you rate pathoma lec vs goljan ...

Thank you

Hello guys ....how arw you all doin ? ... i am new to this forum ...i am looking forward to give steps in 6 months or so ... i had one question to ask how do you rate pathoma lec vs goljan ...

Thank you

I personally like pathoma better because I like following along with the video series, but that being said everybody learns in a different way and Goljan is very thorough. He covers minor points that Pathoma does not. Pathoma is great at giving you the physio/anatomy behind things and big picture. Goljan basically gives you the fine details as well as big picture in the form of tables and side notes.

I personally like pathoma better because I like following along with the video series, but that being said everybody learns in a different way and Goljan is very thorough. He covers minor points that Pathoma does not. Pathoma is great at giving you the physio/anatomy behind things and big picture. Goljan basically gives you the fine details as well as big picture in the form of tables and side notes.

Thank you very much for your response

Hey Everyone,

I'm about 5 weeks out from my exam. My worst subject in the UWSA1 and the one NBME I've done has been Cell/Molecular biology. I've only really used FA and Kaplan Qbank for this subject and was wondering if you all had any recommendations for something else to try. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I'm about 5 weeks out from my exam. My worst subject in the UWSA1 and the one NBME I've done has been Cell/Molecular biology. I've only really used FA and Kaplan Qbank for this subject and was wondering if you all had any recommendations for something else to try. Thanks!

Just go for HY Cell and Molecular Bio. An easy read. I think it will work for you fine. Read it and get back and tell if there was a substantial change in your performance.

Just go for HY Cell and Molecular Bio. An easy read. I think it will work for you fine. Read it and get back and tell if there was a substantial change in your performance.

Zzmed makes a good recommendation here, but be aware that most of the info is actually low-yield for the exam. Use your best judgement when reading it.

This book's greatest utility is with regard to understanding the mechanisms of the Rb/E2F, lac operon, and other high-yield pathways. Also be aware of the ligase chain reaction and sickle cell anaemia.

Can anyone share from personal experience how accurate the Clinical Review usmle step 1 score calculator was for them?

Using my kaplan and uworld qbank scores, Clinical Review's estimation of my score is very much higher than the step1 score prediction I received from the NBME after my school provided us with the NBME's CBSE.

So, how accurate was the Clinical Review calc for you? Is the difference accounted for because the CBSE was predicting my score if I took step1 today whereas the Clinical Review calculator was using self-reported data from people who had already taken step1 (and therefore might be more accurate in predicting my score after I finish my dedicated study time)? Or maybe people lie when they report their scores to Clinical Review? Is there any compilation on SDN of UWorld first-pass scores and final step1 scores that I could use as an alternative score predictor, or anything?

I should probably just ignore all these other predictors until I take the UWSAs later in my studying, but I'm getting tired of studying and I want to track my progress today so that I can get a little encouragement to keep going.

Last edited:
UWSAs cap out at "265+" and they still have a 3 digit to 2 digit conversion, which isn't even accurate for current 2 digits (everything about 235ish is a 99).. the guys who made that have no idea about the basics. I doubt it's accurate.

Thanks so much for your post. My biggest worry after reading this thread was that preparation for the USMLE was going to be almost unaffordable for me with all the resources people are saying you need. The online question banks alone are so unbelievably expensive, so I was really happy to see you mostly did Uworld and one NBME and still did amazingly. How do you mean you only did some Kaplan Qbank, did you still subscribe to them, just for a shorter time period?

Also one more quick question, I assume you didn't have a significant amount of time off uni to study for step 1, did you just study in your own time on weekends/evenings throughout?

Thanks again! xx

I bought it for a year but didn't finish it. During classes I studied for classes in the morning/ early afternoon and then reviewed other stuff in the late afternoon / evening (except for weeks when I had tests and stuff).

Is there any compilation on SDN of UWorld first-pass scores and final step1 scores that I could use as an alternative score predictor, or anything?

I looked at a lot of this for when I was studying and it seems like the correlation isn't that good because it varies how people do Uworld (some do it by subject, some do it timed random, some do it during year). The final percentage also depends on your percentages when you first started the question bank (some start low bc they haven't reviewed everything yet, others start higher because they've covered most of FA already). What would probably be more helpful would be the avg percent of people's last ~10 blocks of randomized 46 question sets (assuming that they did these fairly close to test day).

Quick run-down on my experience, hopefully helpful to someone out there:

During the semester:
- Studied hard for shelf exams.
- Watched DIT videos at 1.5-2x, annotating FA thoroughly (equivalent of x1 careful read-through).
- Listened to Goljan on the bus (normal speed)

During six-week study period:
- QBanks first thing every morning. Started with 3/day for first two weeks, then increased to 4 and 5 as the reviewing process became faster. Always timed, always random, and always back-to-back (with short breaks for food and bathroom, obviously, but I didn't review until after I was done with all the blocks).
- Watched one Pathoma chapter at 1.5-2x while eating lunch.
- Reviewed morning questions in the afternoon.
- Read assigned FA pages at night. I allocated 4 days for biochem, 3 days for micro, 3 days for neuro, 2 days each for CV, pulm, renal, and GI, and 1 day each for endo, repro, MSK/derm, heme/onc, BS/psych, immuno/path, pharma/embryo (in those pairings, but not in that order).
- Spent every Sunday as a review / catch-up day where I would still do qbanks in the morning/afternoon, but the evening was reserved to go back over FA pages from the week I'd bookmarked and wanted to study again.
- If I got bored, had extra time at the end of the night, or felt weak on a particular area, I read Goljan or used questions from WebPath, Rx, Robbins Review of Pathology, BRS, Rapid Review, or anything else I could get my hands on. 90% of questions in all of these are easy, so not worth the time unless you're way ahead in your FA / UW / Kaplan, and if I were only going to do one it would definitely be WebPath.

QBank and practice test breakdown was as follows:
- Once through Kaplan qbank (74%)
- Once through UWorld qbank (82%)
- Once through Kaplan questions I missed the first time around
- Once through UWorld questions I missed the first time around

- Kaplan FL-1, -18 days: 81%
- NBME-11, -13 days: 264
- Kaplan FL-2, -11 days: 77%
- NBME-12, -9 days: 258
- UWSA-1, -8 days: 261
- NBME-7, -7 days: 262
- UWSA-2, -6 days: 265
- NBME-13, -5 days: 263

FYI the only NBME I paid for was #11; the rest I used the "downloadable" versions and thought they were totally fine, but not worth paying for. I used the SDN score curve that's floating around to calculate those scores, so there's obviously a margin of error, but I don't think it's terrible inaccurate, and definitely better than shelling out $50 a pop if you have the discipline to create a test-like environment for yourself while going through the questions.

Last four days were set aside for FA review of highest-yield topics, plus 2-3qbanks on the corresponding topics of questions I'd flagged in UW:
- Embryology, neuroanatomy, limb anatomy
- Micro, ABX, immunology
- Biochemistry
- Drugs, rapid review, important notes and drawings

I also had a stack of about 30 drawings of the most common pathways, GN/GP bacteria diagrams, virus memorization mnemonics, and other need-to-know facts that I went over and redrew every single morning for the last week, which I think was really worthwhile.

Test day was relaxed for the most part. I found myself marking about 5 questions per block, and feeling confident about the answer I was ultimately submitting for 2-3 of them, and unsure about the others. Most of the content was very predictable: basic micro, common genetic diseases, very detailed CV and renal physiology, lots of gross neuroanatomy questions. Histology has been a strong point of mine and I found the path slides to be especially difficult, and often from less-commonly-covered organs like prostate and pituitary. CXR/CT were all very straightforward. Several GU and spinal anatomy questions caught me off guard. Drugs were by far the most over-represented subset of questions, covering everything I'd seen in FA or UW, and a lot that I hadn't. Autonomics and antibiotics were the most high-yield, but I had a number of weird questions on rare side effects of uncommon drugs that were probably the most difficult questions on the exam.

As many others have said, getting good rest, reading questions carefully, and not second guessing yourself is the most important thing you can do to ensure a good score. Half of the questions I got wrong were random minutiae I couldn't possibly have known were coming, and that's luck-of-the-draw, so don't lose sleep trying to hunt down stuff that isn't in FA, UW, or Kaplan. The other half are the ones I keep thinking about even now, a month later, where I picked a "less obvious" answer and, in retrospect, cost myself some important points.

Final score: 259.

Congrats on an awesome score :thumbup:

I used the SDN score curve that's floating around to calculate those scores

I've been looking for this and all I've found are a billion posts of people speculating/showing off their math skills. Which did you use?

I originally posted this on a thread on the regular Allo board but I meant to post it here. Now it's in its proper place.

Alright, guys, I'd like some opinions.

I'm trying to be as selective in my materials as possible. I'm sticking primarily to FA, Pathoma and UWorld. I have CMMRS and Microcards if I need more review for micro, and I obviously have the few other school books I actually bought, but I have no intention of using them for Step 1 review. I have just under 5 full weeks for my study period.

I'm probably going to buy Pharm Recall soon, because a lot of my classmates have been recommending it. I know the Pharm Cards are good, too, but I figure I might actually keep Pharm Recall in my pocket next year and I'll get more use out of it.

Here's what I can't decide on. Should go through FA in its entirety (I've been using it throughout this year but just reviewing it before tests in whatever subject we're on) and/or go through Pathoma again (I have watched the videos and annotated the book for most of MS-2) from start to finish at 1.4 speed before starting UWorld during my 5 weeks of dedicated study period? Or should I just dive right into UWorld and review/annotate the explanations into FA as needed? FWIW, I have two small kids so evenings (after daycare) and weekends are pretty much out of the picture for me for study time. Suggestions?

I'm also confused with a few things about UWorld. What mode is recommended for going through it, timed tutor? I don't expect to be able to get through it more than once, but what is the trick for reaccessing the questions you've already done? Is it that you mark them all for review or something like that? I have seen it mentioned here but I'm not entirely sure what you do.

Thanks!

- QBanks first thing every morning. Started with 3/day for first two weeks, then increased to 4 and 5 as the reviewing process became faster. Always timed, always random, and always back-to-back (with short breaks for food and bathroom, obviously, but I didn't review until after I was done with all the blocks).

I have no idea how you did 3 blocks a day nevermind 4-5. Holy crap dude you were basically taking Step 1 every two days.

Congrats on an awesome score :thumbup:

I've been looking for this and all I've found are a billion posts of people speculating/showing off their math skills. Which did you use?

Thanks for the kind words. I posted a copy of the curves I found most useful here:

http://db.tt/fyFJcD85

I can't speak to their origins, veracity, or value, other than to say that my performance on the NBMEs that I scored using this guide were pretty close to 1. The one NBME I paid for, 2. Both of my UWSAs, and 3. My actual score. Take that with as many grains of salt as you will.

And thanks all around for the support; I appreciate it very much. Best of luck to everyone.

Drugs were by far the most over-represented subset of questions, covering everything I'd seen in FA or UW, and a lot that I hadn't. Autonomics and antibiotics were the most high-yield, but I had a number of weird questions on rare side effects of uncommon drugs that were probably the most difficult questions on the exam.

I had had some ridiculous question on my real deal where you had to identify the ultra-low-yield organism via image and then pick the Tx, and the answer was a drug I had never heard of before. We probably had the same question.

------

I also just want to make a point that the further in time you get from the exam (and the less time you spend on this forum), the better you realize your score actually is. Congratulations on the 259.

NBME 5 on 2/28: 245
NBME 6 on 3/11: 247

I have been sick the last week so my studying wasn't too good. I only had time for a few UW blocks. NBME 6 felt a lot easier to me than 5, so I was actually expecting to have done better. I only went up by 2 points. Does this mean I'm doomed to family-psychiatry? Don't worry, j/k on that last bit.

NBME 5 on 2/28: 245
NBME 6 on 3/11: 247

I have been sick the last week so my studying wasn't too good. I only had time for a few UW blocks. NBME 6 felt a lot easier to me than 5, so I was actually expecting to have done better. I only went up by 2 points. Does this mean I'm doomed to family-psychiatry? Don't worry, j/k on that last bit.

Solid scores. Have you taken 7,11,12,13 yet? 5 and 6 are kinda outdated.

I have only taken 5 and 6. I didn't know they were outdated. Maybe I wouldn't have taken them.... Oh well. I am planning on taking more NBMEs, about 1/week.

I had had some ridiculous question on my real deal where you had to identify the ultra-low-yield organism via image and then pick the Tx, and the answer was a drug I had never heard of before. We probably had the same question.

------

I also just want to make a point that the further in time you get from the exam (and the less time you spend on this forum), the better you realize your score actually is. Congratulations on the 259.

Haha that sounds startlingly familiar--I'm pretty sure we did. And I look forward to feeling those feelings as time marches on; thanks again for all your help and support.

Last edited:

During the semester:
- Watched DIT videos at 1.5-2x, annotating FA thoroughly (equivalent of x1 careful read-through).

- Read assigned FA pages at night. I allocated 4 days for biochem, 3 days for micro, 3 days for neuro, 2 days each for CV, pulm, renal, and GI, and 1 day each for endo, repro, MSK/derm, heme/onc, BS/psych, immuno/path, pharma/embryo (in those pairings, but not in that order).
- Spent every Sunday as a review / catch-up day where I would still do qbanks in the morning/afternoon, but the evening was reserved to go back over FA pages from the week I'd bookmarked and wanted to study again.
- If I got bored, had extra time at the end of the night, or felt weak on a particular area, I read Goljan or used questions from WebPath, Rx, Robbins Review of Pathology, BRS, Rapid Review, or anything else I could get my hands on. 90% of questions in all of these are easy, so not worth the time unless you're way ahead in your FA / UW / Kaplan, and if I were only going to do one it would definitely be WebPath.

FYI the only NBME I paid for was #11; the rest I used the "downloadable" versions and thought they were totally fine, but not worth paying for. I used the SDN score curve that's floating around to calculate those scores, so there's obviously a margin of error, but I don't think it's terrible inaccurate, and definitely better than shelling out $50 a pop if you have the discipline to create a test-like environment for yourself while going through the questions.

Last four days were set aside for FA review of highest-yield topics, plus 2-3qbanks on the corresponding topics of questions I'd flagged in UW:
- Micro, ABX, immunology
- Biochemistry

I also had a stack of about 30 drawings of the most common pathways, GN/GP bacteria diagrams, virus memorization mnemonics, and other need-to-know facts that I went over and redrew every single morning for the last week, which I think was really worthwhile.

Test day was relaxed for the most part. I found myself marking about 5 questions per block, and feeling confident about the answer I was ultimately submitting for 2-3 of them, and unsure about the others. Most of the content was very predictable: basic micro, common genetic diseases, very detailed CV and renal physiology, lots of gross neuroanatomy questions. Histology has been a strong point of mine and I found the path slides to be especially difficult, and often from less-commonly-covered organs like prostate and pituitary. CXR/CT were all very straightforward. Several GU and spinal anatomy questions caught me off guard. Drugs were by far the most over-represented subset of questions, covering everything I'd seen in FA or UW, and a lot that I hadn't. Autonomics and antibiotics were the most high-yield, but I had a number of weird questions on rare side effects of uncommon drugs that were probably the most difficult questions on the exam.

As many others have said, getting good rest, reading questions carefully, and not second guessing yourself is the most important thing you can do to ensure a good score. Half of the questions I got wrong were random minutiae I couldn't possibly have known were coming, and that's luck-of-the-draw, so don't lose sleep trying to hunt down stuff that isn't in FA, UW, or Kaplan. The other half are the ones I keep thinking about even now, a month later, where I picked a "less obvious" answer and, in retrospect, cost myself some important points.

Any chance you could scan/upload those last minute review sheets (stack of 30 drawings etc.) for us?

Last edited:
Any chance you could scan/upload those last minute review sheets (stack of 30 drawings etc.) for us?

Honestly, you'll do better if you make them for yourself. Most of mine were just more or less elaborate versions of diagrams from FA or UW that either incorporated annotations I'd added in along the way, or excluded details I knew so well I didn't want to spend time repeating.

You'll quickly find that many of the diagrams will be more memorable after you've drawn them in a fashion that feels more intuitive to you personally than the FA version, and that process of rearranging and reorganizing the information (an on-going process, since you'll be re-drawing a number of the pictures once every day or two) might be the most valuable part of the learning experience.

Also, my handwriting is quite small and pretty much passes for Sanskrit--I'm not sure that the pictures would be especially useful to anyone else, even if I did scan them.

Good luck.

During the semester:

- Micro, ABX, immunology
- Biochemistry

so did you do all of uworld and kaplan during your 6 weeks? or had you started one of them before your dedicated prep? i guess if you were averaging between 3-5 blocks a day you were able to finish finish both qbanks entirely in like 10 days each max and then review but just clarifying.

and when you were reviewing your exams, im assuming you didnt try and read into a huge amount of detail for each question (simply caus that would take a while for each one and the amount of questions you were doing) unless i guess you needed clarifying/understanding about that issue?

congrats on a great score, good luck with rotation, and thanks for sharing your knowledge from your experience.

congrats on a great score. How long did it take you to complete and review each block? Also, when you say that you studied for shelf exams, does that mean you're actually in your third?

Wondering if being in the wards gives an advantage (ie knowing so much more clinically and understanding more pathopyhs)...

I am having a problem getting my scores to move up. I am stuck at 75-80% on usmle Rx and 60-65% on world. I am only doing qbanks and stopped reviewing and think that might be the problem. I am 32 days out and think I may need to go through first aid again and start watching some more pathoma videos. The frustrating thing is I am pretty even in the areas I am missing so there is no one subject that is much lower than the others. I have almost finished Goljans qbank and started Firecracker qbank (not flashcards) which is totally hit or miss for me. I may get as much as 87% or as low as 55%. Any suggestions?

I am having a problem getting my scores to move up. I am stuck at 75-80% on usmle Rx and 60-65% on world. I am only doing qbanks and stopped reviewing and think that might be the problem. I am 32 days out and think I may need to go through first aid again and start watching some more pathoma videos. The frustrating thing is I am pretty even in the areas I am missing so there is no one subject that is much lower than the others. I have almost finished Goljans qbank and started Firecracker qbank (not flashcards) which is totally hit or miss for me. I may get as much as 87% or as low as 55%. Any suggestions?

I am no expert since you are actually further in your prep than I am but, are you doing any sort of drilling? What I mean is something like flipping through flashcards(biochem, micro, pharm) every night or recopying high yield diagrams or figures that are troublesome to you. I have found hammering those subjects into my head has benefitted my early Qbank scores.

Minutiae is minutiae. There really is no way to prepare for it. You need to get lucky with the handful that show up.

That is, if there are 6 extremely bizarre questions on your real deal, and one happens to ask which BMP is expressed in the kidneys (it's BMP-7), suddenly that magazine you had read three years ago in your GP's waiting room proves to be your best resource because you had coincidentally remembered that detail from it. Minutiae comes out of nowhere. If you have a really really good memory for pretty much everything you read, you'll be at an advantage here.

That's that is scaring me. I'm kinda OCD on trying to know everything, but I feel that I'll overlook something and it'll get asked. I know my brother's girlfriend said on her exam they asked her the direction of which way are the fibers of one of the intercostal muscles - something which she forgot.

For your 2013 takers, have you noticed an increasingly large number of epi questions on your exams? For the past 6-7 months, talking to my classmates and others I've seen this repeated over and over, where they underestimated the number of epi/biostat questions. One classmate said he was averaging 3-4 epi/biostat questions per block.

Said he probably would've broken a 260, he got a 258 if he had studied the epi/biostat a bit harder.

Honestly, you'll do better if you make them for yourself. Most of mine were just more or less elaborate versions of diagrams from FA or UW that either incorporated annotations I'd added in along the way, or excluded details I knew so well I didn't want to spend time repeating.

You'll quickly find that many of the diagrams will be more memorable after you've drawn them in a fashion that feels more intuitive to you personally than the FA version, and that process of rearranging and reorganizing the information (an on-going process, since you'll be re-drawing a number of the pictures once every day or two) might be the most valuable part of the learning experience.

Also, my handwriting is quite small and pretty much passes for Sanskrit--I'm not sure that the pictures would be especially useful to anyone else, even if I did scan them.

Good luck.

You're very much right. I have been trying to make tables/diagrams myself with the info and it certainly does help drill it in to your head better.