Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Used DIT, FA and UWORLD. Did not do that much of pathoma. NBME's were 217-234.
Real score-242

I thought the exam was hard and left feeling terrible. Happy to be able to finally enjoy clerkship.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What was the new mean and standard deviation for this round of administrations? Is it still 227 +/- 22?

I'll update tonight when I get off L&D on what I did for prep for anyone else out there who is curious.

Score: 261

CBSE (9 weeks out): 255
NBME 7 (4 weeks out): 249 (91%)
NBME 11 (3 weeks out): 251 (91.5%)
NBME 12 (2 weeks out): 262 (95%)
NBME 16—>13 (1 week out): 262 (93.5%), 266 (95.5%)
2014 Free 150 (3 days out): 88%
Average of last 3 NBMEs: 263.3
This guy lol congrats again I am jealous. I guess there is some correlation btw comlex score and usmle.

I got 249. Man I am jealous!

Reactions: 1 user
Got my score. I was dead on - low 230s.

Tanked it. Honestly in shock right now. I worked so hard and came up short of my goals. Have to rethink my specialty choices now, as my score pretty much takes me out of the running for everything I was interested in.

NBME 16 - 260 (1 week out)
NBME 15 - 250 (2 weeks out)
NBME 13 - 260 (5 weeks out)
UWSA 1 - 260 (4 weeks out)

Last edited:
I didn't take any NBME's or self-assess but I did UWorld+Pathoma+First Aid very thoroughly. My prep was good but on the actual test day I made a lot of dumb mistakes and messed up because I was nervous. Score: 247. I don't know if I should be happy or upset.

Uworld: 1st & only run (random, timed) (7-3 weeks out): 77%
CBSE 1 (12 weeks out): 238
NBME 1 (offline) (11 weeks out): 223
NBME 2 (offline) (10 weeks out): 234
NBME 3 (offline) (9 weeks out): 242
NBME 4 (offline) (8 weeks out): 245
NBME 5 (offline) (7 weeks out): 242
NBME 6 (offline) (6 weeks out): 242
NBME 7 (5 weeks out): 245
NBME 11 (4 weeks out): 247
NBME 12 (3 weeks out): 260
NBME 13 (2 weeks out): 243
NBME 15 (1 1/2 weeks out): 247
NBME 16 (1 week out): 256
Free 150 (5 days out): ~ 244 (87%)
--------------------------------
*Real Deal (June 9th): 251*

Reactions: 5 users
I didn't take any NBME's or self-assess but I did UWorld+Pathoma+First Aid very thoroughly. My prep was good but on the actual test day I made a lot of dumb mistakes and messed up because I was nervous. Score: 247. I don't know if I should be happy or upset.

Easy one - happy.

Members don't see this ad :)
Score: 255
NBME test avg- 253 (took 16, 15, 12 & 11)
Could not be happier. I had a running list of about 30 confirmed questions I got wrong & was feeling pretty ****ty. ANyone taking this exam know that no matter what youll most likely feel like **** untill you get a score.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users

Tanked it. Honestly in shock right now. I worked so hard and came up short of my goals. Have to rethink my specialty choices now, as my score pretty much takes me out of the running for everything I was interested in.

30 point discrepency :shock:

1/2014-School administered baseline NBME: 175
4/2014-USWA 1: 195
5/22/2014-School administered NBME: 200
5/26/2014-USWA 2: 219
5/26/2014-NBME 15: 200
6/2/2014-NBME 12: 213
6/3/2014-NBME 16:213
Step 1 Goal: 220
Actual Step 1 score: 223!!! *happy dance*
Desired specialty: Family Medicine

I am SO proud of my score because the journey to this point hasn't been easy or straight, and I wanted a score that would make me competitive for family medicine, so I'm excited that I exceeded my goal! Have to give a big shout out to Jesus Christ though, this wasn't anything I could pull of on my own, I'm just saying :)

My study methods:
-All of UWorld + 1000 questions in the second go around (annotated everything into a fresh 2014 First Aid)
-Listened to all of Goljan
-Read through First Aid twice, finished the first read through the Monday before the exam, and read through it again cover to cover from Monday to Thursday (June 12th, the day of my exam!). The morning of the exam, I read through the 16+ pages of rapid review lol and it helped!!

Good luck to everyone else still waiting for their scores! I hope this post is helpful and encouraging to someone out there. We're all in this together future docs!

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
He means that the test writers are onto the common study methods and are asking about more obscure topics. I definitely agree after taking my test.

There are not nearly as many buzzwords, they are testing more obscure details about diseases, and there more questions that are, IMO, far too clinical for a basic science exam (e.g. "what is the next best step?").

Again, the best things to do are to attend more lectures (or watch the videos) and start thinking clinically even in second year. E.g., associate gallstones with ordering an ultrasound, kidney stones with CT scan, etc.

What do you believe or think is the best way to prepare for these types of questions ( in addition to the suggestions you already gave )? Should we touch upon step 2 related books ?

What do you believe or think is the best way to prepare for these types of questions ( in addition to the suggestion you already gave )? Should we touch upon step 2 related books ?

When are you taking Step 1?

Did you like lose your temper in the test center or panic when the questions were tough or was your performance just like the other NBME forms ?!

CBSE (don't remember how many weeks before): 215
NBME 11 (6 weeks before: 234
NBME 12 (4 weeks before): 241
NBME 13 (3 weeks before): 247
NBME 15(2 week before): 247
NMBE 16 (6 days before): 251
NBME 7 (3 days before): 260
Free 150: 89%

Actual STEP 1 on 6/16/14: 250

I'm not that ecstatic about my score. I know I did good, but I could have done better. For what I studied and felt I comprehended I felt I should have got 255+. If I would have been able to finish the sections comfortably I'm sure I would have done better. But I guess everyone has their weaknesses, because overall I suck standardized/timed test format.... So I can't be too hard on myself, I'm proud I was able to do this well, compared to my MCAT and SAT tests, STEP 1 went comparatively much much better. Anyway, enough of the excuses and rationalization.

My main resources: FA 2-4+x, Pathoma 2-3x, UWorld 2x+, and Microcards.
Uworld-I started using Uworld at the beginning of 2nd year. I would use UWorld for questions to study about 1 week before a test. Our school bought Kaplan QBank for us, and I did use that for questions sometimes for school tests, but NOT for Step 1. I also used USMLE Rx for questions to study for school tests, but not for Step 1. I think I finished about 60% of UWorld by March/April , when I restarted using a new UWorld account with an account my school paid for. I completed new Uworld about 4-5 weeks before my test and reset the UWorld I bought myself, and did UWorld again. I liked doing UWorld 2x+ because I'm too "ADD" get everything in with the 1st pass. Seriously I hardly remembered questions that I had done once or twice so repetition is KEY for me.

Pathoma- I did Pathoma through 2nd year with each class. Went through each section 2-3 times but after the first time I did lectures on 1.7x speed. Pathoma is the BEST. Dr. Sattir explains thing so well, in the easiest way to remember.

FA- I used it before each school exam until January. Then I used started studying subjects on their own independent of class. 1st pass I just read through FA, then I went through FA VERY WELL at least 2 times... Some sections got more love than others though.

Microcards- I started in February. I tried to go through the whole deck in a week (21-25 cards a day) once a week but the last month before the test I fell off and used FA Micro with Anki.

DIT- Tried to start it 5 weeks before the test, did it for 2 and 1/2 days and quit. DIT was way too basic for me by the time I started. I think if you're passing NBMEs don't use DIT.

Anki Cards- After I stopped using DIT, I used Anki cards for FA stuff that I wasn't remembering. I have FA2014 PDF (as well as a legal paper copy :p) and having the PDF made making card super easy. I made A LOT of Anki card, especially for Biochem, Micro and Pharm sections in FA.

Extras:
-I used Picomonic for class for antibiotics, and that was it
-I used Firecracker for pharmacolgy of the organ systems for the last month as well, thought I tried using FC for some classes and I liked it, I just never gave it enough attention. I would recommend Firecracker if you can start early and be dedicated.
-I used BRS Physiology throughout 2nd year for class, and reread Cardio, Resp, and GI sections for step.

Again, my basis was Pathoma, FA and Uworld. Anki was a great add-in to memorize small things. If I could do it again I would possible use FC (if started early) and practice reading faster, which I felt was my biggest weakness.

Did you like lose your temper in the test center or panic when the questions were tough or was your performance just like the other NBME forms ?!

Not to answer for orchitis, but real deal sucks compared to the NBMEs. I woke up this morning expecting 220s-230s.

Don't let a single score define you. You can make up for it in other ways. If your dream specialty seems impossible now, just take a step back and focus on the task at hand. 3rd year grades are just as important as Step 1 so there's always hope and a path.

Like I said, your score doesn't define you. What you do now will.

Does anyone know till what Test Date they are publishing scores today. I took on 24th June but have not received a Email yet

Here's what I did to study and my experience exam day.

Study period: 5.5 weeks
Materials used: DIT (2.5 weeks), FA, UWorld

Looking back on it, I think DIT was a pretty inefficient way to use the first 2.5 weeks of my study period. I think just reviewing FA on my own and supplementing it with Golijan and/or Pathoma lectures would have been better. I took all the NBMEs. I started with the oldest ones and worked my way to the newest ones since I heard that newer ones are more similar in length to the real exam. This was true. My real exam was similar in length to NBME 15 and 16. So definitely use these to get your timing down if you're having problems with it.

220 (3 weeks till exam)
232 (2.5 weeks)
234 (2 weeks)
239 (1.5 weeks)
237 (1 week)
241 (<1 week)

Finished my first pass through UWorld about 2 weeks before the exam and then went though all my exams and reviewed the questions that I had missed or marked. I thought that redoing all the ones I had missed would have taken unnecessarily longer.

Exam day: It felt like another NBME. The level of difficult was on par with the NBMEs. The interface is identical to UWorld. I got a 2-3 CTs, 3-4 CXRs, 4 heart sounds. Length was similar to NBME 15 and 16. I did get a few WTF questions, but I just hoped they are experimental, answered them, and moved on. I felt that 90% of my exam was directly from FA. Know it inside out. Pharm and Micro on my exam were really straightforward. All straight from FA.

Will let you all know how the real thing went!

Got my score back today: 243

The NBMEs were pretty accurate. I know it's not 250+/260+ like most posts here but I'm pretty happy with it. lol

I felt terrible walking out, and was actually pretty accurate in gauging my performance. That's what worried me - I usually am. I didn't lose my temper, but I think nerves got to me and I just had a bad day. It felt like I was on autopilot the whole time and my brain was off.

Don't let a single score define you. You can make up for it in other ways. If your dream specialty seems impossible now, just take a step back and focus on the task at hand. 3rd year grades are just as important as Step 1 so there's always hope and a path.

Like I said, your score doesn't define you. What you do now will.

Thanks for the positive words, they mean alot. What's most disappointing is working so hard for something, setting a reasonable goal, and falling short. Just disappointed in myself for that more than anything.

Got my score back today: 243

The NBMEs were pretty accurate. I know it's not 250+/260+ like most posts here but I'm pretty happy with it. lol

Same. I was told NBME 13 was the most accurate and it was pinpoint accurate. 243. And don't let these high scores discourage you. With a 243 and hard work in other areas of your application including great rotations and LOR and you'll be where you want to be in the end.

Real score: 248. I'm ecstatic.

Also, in case you're interested, my first UWorld pass was 56%, and I had below average grades M1 and M2 year.

Final update!

4/13/2014 - NBME 16 - 215
4/19/2014 - NBME 7 - 234
4/20/2014 - UWSA1 - 245
4/28/2014 - NBME 11 - 226
5/4/2014 - NBME 12 - 237
5/11/2014 - NBME 13 - 247
5/18/2014 - School CBSE - 237
5/22/2014 - NBME 15 - 245
5/25/2014 - UWSA 2 - 252

Here's hoping that UWSA2 doesn't overpredict TOO much, though it clearly had a more lenient curve than NBMEs 13 and 15 as well as my school's CBSE. I take the exam this Thursday, and I've decided to relax until then. If I break a 240 on the real thing, I'll jump for joy. Also, if I break a 230 on the real thing, I'll jump for joy. My initial goal was just to make sure I had a good chance of breaking a 230.

I'll try to give the most comprehensive writeup possible after the real thing. Based on my NBMEs, it looks like I should expect somewhere within the 237-245 range, so I guess it'll come down to the questions I get and the quality of my guessing.

Just took it. This is going to be a frenetic writeup because I didn't really get the big picture as I was taking the exam - I went question-by-question.

Based on what everyone was saying, I expected to get slammed with anatomy, and I definitely wasn't. The first block had quite a few anatomy questions, but after that it was probably one per section, and most were generous, with a CT scan or MRI and a lengthy prompt essentially giving you the answer.

Listening questions were all cake. Can you identify a systolic and diastolic murmur? Good.

There was a Hardy-Weinberg question, which I was fully expecting. Almost got it wrong before I realized I was an idiot.

The thyroid and parathyroid glands, for whatever reason, were extremely well-represented on my test, or at least it felt like it. I must have had 3 separate questions about cancer in that general area, and I had two thyroglossal duct cyst questions in the same section (with the exact same image, no less).

One interesting thing I noticed was that tumor suppressors and apoptosis were tested oddly. I can't remember the exact questions because 322, but cancer is big. Watch and rewatch the first few videos of Pathoma because of this. And ALSO because:

Immuno was well-represented. You need to know the important cytokines extremely well.

Micro? Not much. Pharm? Not much. Two questions on arrhythmics, though, which I was expecting. use the Double Quarter Pounder mnemonic; it's a wonderful thing.

Overall, I didn't feel too bad. I felt like I really got slammed on my first block and my fourth block, but on all of the other ones, it seemed like what I expected: Mostly bread and butter with some whacky ways of asking questions to throw you off and a few that I would never have gotten no matter how much I studied.

Reactions: 8 users
I felt terrible walking out, and was actually pretty accurate in gauging my performance. That's what worried me - I usually am. I didn't lose my temper, but I think nerves got to me and I just had a bad day. It felt like I was on autopilot the whole time and my brain was off.

Thanks for the positive words, they mean alot. What's most disappointing is working so hard for something, setting a reasonable goal, and falling short. Just disappointed in myself for that more than anything.

With those practice scores you are obviously an intelligent person. Rock your clerkships and Step 2. Matching is a weird game. There are people who score in the 210's that match into competitive specialties.

Last edited:
Got f'ing lucky.

REAL F'ING LUCKY

NBME 11 (school administered) 214
NBME 15 218
NBME 13 232
NBME 16 234

REAL DEAL: 239!!!!!

Went up! holy ****

EDIT: I had pretty average grades throughout year 1&2

There is hope for you, average medical student reading this!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Got f'ing lucky.

REAL F'ING LUCKY

NBME 11 (school administered) 214
NBME 15 218
NBME 13 232
NBME 16 234

REAL DEAL: 239!!!!!

Went up! holy ****

EDIT: I had pretty average grades throughout year 1&2

There is hope for you, average medical student reading this!!!
when did you take your test. I was wondering till what test date they are publishing results today

Took Step 1 on Thursday June 19th. Figured I'd debrief for some catharsis.

I started studying at the beginning of second year using the Kaplan Qbank. Our curriculum is pretty traditional so this was tough because I hadnt learned the big classes yet. I used Pathoma with my path class. But it did help me familiarize myself with the type of questions step 1 asks. Over winter break I finished the Kaplan Q bank and watched all of pathoma When second semester started I started using first aid more heavily along with watching the USMLE RX videos/Pathoma (again on the same subject I was studying) and the USMLE Rx q bank, I would go subject by subject, day by day on weeks we didnt have a test. At this point our school made us take an NBME roughly 3 months out from the test date I scored 480-224.

I continued to read first aid/ Uworld (mostly focused blocks on the subject I was studying) on weeks we didnt have tests, I also took offline NBMEs during this period.

School ended and I began dedicated study time 5 weeks. During this period I used Goljan Audio when driving around in my car. UWORLD, First aid, with some supplements from Goljan Rapid Review. In addition I used Kaplan USMLE prep videos, I didnt have time to watch them all but I did watch all the physio, biochem, (micro -fungi,viruses), most of the anatomy, alot of the pharm (though not all), Neuroscience, and a hodgepodge of the behavioral sciences. I also read Khan HY ethics- this is the singe best ethics resource i've come across hands down. I also completed my first pass through uworld around the first week and began a second pass that I wouldnt fully complete ( i got about 80% through second time).

Scores:
3 months out Nbme 16- 224
NBME 7- (1 month)- 570-243
NBME 11- (3 weeks out)- 640-258
NBme 12 (2 weeks out)- 670-264
UWSA 1 and 2 ( 2 weeks out back to back)- 265+
Nbme 15 (1 week out)- 630-256
Nbme 13 (1 week out ) taken back to back with above- 610-251
Actual:?

I think I was peaking 2 weeks out and then I can back a little bit due to fatigue and burnout. Burnout is real no matter how tough you are.
Actual test:
The first block definitely caught me by surprise. I dont think my mental motor was really going yet I marked like 15 of my first 20 ( i think most of these were more out of fear then actual confusion. After that I settled down. One mistake I made in my prep was not taking enough timed blocks not in tutor mode. I didnt have a problem of running short on time during the exam except the first block, but since i didnt do enough timed blocks i didnt have an innate sense of how much time I should have remaining as i progressed. This caused me to speed up and mini panic during the test as i approached the second half. I did end up finishing blocks with about 5-10 minutes extra which I banked into my break time. I took about 10-15 minute breaks between blocks and a 20 minute one to eat ( just apples and bananas). I definetly noticed my test was heavy on certain, very common diseases. But they would ask in-depth questions on these topics ( Athersclerosis, CV disease, Thyroid/Endocrine problems). I also noticed that within blocks id get questions taht seemed to be recurring topics (multiple questiosn on hyper/hypothyroidism, bone disorders, tons of questions on CV states in different diseases. My biochem questions were very straightforward, and this surprised me. Ethics questions were mostly classical always ask the patient what they think style. I did notice that the most challenging questions for me were when none of the answer choices matched the answer I had in my head to the question. The other most difficult type of questions were ones with multiple right answers and I would have to choose the BEST answer. These were difficult.
Id say 60-70% of the material was in first aid, 80-90% in USMLE world (somewhere). Uworld definitely was very similar to the exam, in both content and question style ( and coloring of the exam browser). I definetly made some stupid mistakes especially early on when I was nervous. And there were a few random questions that were so obscure or minute that anyone who got it right probably guessed or had some very specialized knowledge in the area ( research). Overall I'm not really sure how it went, its much easier to remember the questions that you struggled with/got wrong, then the ones you breezed through. And I am prone to making errors/ misunderstanding what questions are asking especialyl if I am rushed and making errors. But all I can do is hope for the best and thank god that I am done. It was a long and draining process with a lot of prep, and it taught me alot about myself.

Best Q banks- 1- Uworld 2-Kaplan .....3. Usmle RX ( this is helpful for memorizing first aid basically, but lots of errors and unrealistic type questions also poor explanations)

My theory on the resources is you should use them in order to build your score, using first aid as a general core. Its basically notes with piss poor explanations, just memorizing first aid wont help you on the test as much as understanding whats going on ( becuase they will test you on different aspects). I had several examples of this on my test, where I could use a USMLE acronym to make the first or second step in a question btu the third step would require something not covered

Resources- First Aid (mastery will get you into 240+ land) Pathoma (A base resource- will get you up to 220-230) Goljan Audio (Goljan is the man. its 12 years old and this stuff is def getting phased out, but still i think goljan takes you up to the 245-250 territory. Once you get up over 250 a lot of it is based on the amount of leg work you put in. How much time did you spend googling things you didnt understand, how good your test taking strategy skill is, how much you learned in your courses.

Single best thing you can do to prepare for step 1: Study Hard your first 2 years in medical school- Hands down.
266, looks like uwsa was the best predictor

Last edited:
There are not nearly as many buzzwords, they are testing more obscure details about diseases, and there more questions that are, IMO, far too clinical for a basic science exam (e.g. "what is the next best step?").

Again, the best things to do are to attend more lectures (or watch the videos) and start thinking clinically even in second year. E.g., associate gallstones with ordering an ultrasound, kidney stones with CT scan, etc.

What do you believe or think is the best way to prepare for these types of questions ( in addition to the suggestions you already gave )? Should we touch upon step 2 related books ?

@Dave89 very curious about your insight, looks like others are, too:

You seem like an example that it's possible to neglect lecture and focus solely on the standard study ingredients and still manage an amazing score, even on the "new" test. Yet your final piece of advice is to attend lecture and maybe even dip into step 2 material?
Nothing wrong with general curiosity and a clinical mindset but it would seem there's also greater potential for excess/confusing information. Especially regarding lectures, which vary greatly depending on institution/subject.

Many others scoring in the top 1% recommend lecture, but they actually attended lecture, so we'll never be able to separate that from their preparation. For you lecture wasn't a factor but you think it should have been?
What would lecture have replaced during your prep, or would it have been added on?
Looking back were there things you did that you felt really helped you do well on a more clinical test, other than Goljan?

Thanks - not trying to be critical in a negative way. We appreciate you taking the time to post on here.

@Dave89 very curious about your insight, looks like others are, too:

You seem like an example that it's possible to neglect lecture and focus solely on the standard study ingredients and still manage an amazing score, even on the "new" test. Yet your final piece of advice is to attend lecture and maybe even dip into step 2 material?
Nothing wrong with general curiosity and a clinical mindset but it would seem there's also greater potential for excess/confusing information. Especially regarding lectures, which vary greatly depending on institution/subject.

Many others scoring in the top 1% recommend lecture, but they actually attended lecture, so we'll never be able to separate that from their preparation. For you lecture wasn't a factor but you think it should have been?
What would lecture have replaced during your prep, or would it have been added on?
Looking back were there things you did that you felt really helped you do well on a more clinical test, other than Goljan?

Thanks - not trying to be critical in a negative way. We appreciate you taking the time to post on here.

It is true that my experience was, on the whole, a successful one. However, I noticed very early on in the test that many of the questions were either more clinical than I had expected (sorry - can't recall any examples of this) or more detail-oriented than I had been in my studying. For example, I had a question asking which pathogens are susceptible to iodine - bacteria, viruses, gram-positives, gram-negatives, fungi, etc. or all of the above. I had simply never come across that, but if I had gone to microbio lectures, I might have.

I can't say that I did anything to prepare for the clinical questions. Step 2 QBank is riddled with them, but the NBMEs and UWorld just didn't provide (m)any models of that type of question, so I walked into the exam completely unprepared on that front. I suppose that I just got lucky.

I guess that I'm saying that I think I scraped by (or "winged it") on those questions. But, because you can probably expect more of those types in the future, I would try to soak up as many factoids and random details if I were in your spot. Lectures are one way of doing this. At a minimum, read (and know!) RR Path by Goljan. I kind of looked at it in September, said to myself, "this is waaaaaay too thick!", and never really looked at it again. A healthier and less overwhelming attitude is to consider it the textbook for second year. In that light, ~500 pages isn't that bad. And the truth is that it probably has all of the "next best step" details you'll need to know. But even Goljan probably doesn't cover minutiae such as the mechanism of iodine decontamination. In that respect, Step 1 is luck of the draw.

@Dave89 Yet your final piece of advice is to attend lecture and maybe even dip into step 2 material?

Just want to clarify: I don't think you should look at Step 2 material - the reading list is long enough as it is. But pay close attention to the PBLs and similar activities during M2. They seem useless, but there's valuable knowledge to be gained.

These above experiences and JDUB's statement speak to a few important aspects of how the test is evolving that people starting studying up to taking the test soon should understand :
1. EVERYONE'S TEST IS DIFFERENT. Just because there are multiple posts on SDN about crazy biochemistry one week does not mean your test the next week will be the same. Do not waste time going crazy with every biochem resource you can find. If you read that and it makes you question your competency on biochem, brush up from FA/UWorld. My test was full of micro, whereas the weeks leading up people were constantly coming back from tests full of anatomy. Mine had moderate amounts of manageable anatomy. Which brings me to my next point:
2. You cannot predict the crazy things they throw at you. This has been beat into the ground ad nauseam on this site but people still ask how to prepare for the WTF questions. You can, however, help yourself by learning the information well and from different angles. I can't tell you the number of times on my test I was stuck scratching my head on something that seemed ridiculous only to break it down to the basics to determine the (straightforward) answer. Were there things I didn't know? Absolutely. Could I have prepared for them? No. Sometimes you get stupid things your remember from basic science years, sometimes you are just unlucky.
3. Learn how to take the test. Learn the basics, then learn how to answer questions. Keep pounding in the basics from different angles. Repeat. This ties into #2. More questions=more experience with weird presentations=better prepared for WTF questions=higher score.
4. Above all else, JDUB hit the nail on the head IMO. At some point, you just need to stop and take the test. 2 days before the test I felt like I knew nothing. When I sat down and entered the tutorial I realized I forgot to review some of the equations the day before for renal. And you know what? I had a question that was exactly what I had forgotten to review, and got it right from questions and experience. Not by spending more time studying. People spend a year of studying memorizing minutae to get 2 or 3 more questions right but they miss 10 from burnout/missing out on question experience by using too many resources and thinking they need to learn more. Questions, questions, questions.
Lastly, this test is doable. It sucks, but IS doable. You are all smart enough to do well. Spend your time wisely learning how to take the test and the material from proven resources. For the M1s reading this, learn it right the first time. Don't waste time with FA first year. Find something that helps your long term memory maybe, but put time into 1st and 2nd year. Start a little before or during Winter break M2 and slowly build up. It makes things so much easier. And above all else, don't torture yourself by spending expansive amounts of time studying obscure facts on a topic you read on SDN. When your practice scores are where you want them to be, you're doing something right. Trust your instinct and your prep. Good luck to everyone-stay confident and you'll kill it.

258. Goal was always 250+ so I'm ecstatic. I'll give a more thorough nbme score report etc later.
Just remember to work your a$$ off and be confident. I put in a lot of hard work and it paid off. Don't let anything on this forum discourage you-set a goal and be confident that you can attain it. Hard work will get you there.

For people who get 250+
Can you please tell us how you felt after your exams? please because I did mine today and I feel like absolute crap about it. I am not trying to spread panic it wasn't hard it was doable .. but still I feel bad .. I don't think I gave it 100% .. although my NBME scores were high .. So is it okay to feel this way? and how did you feel after you took your test?

Score: 261

CBSE (9 weeks out): 255
NBME 7 (4 weeks out): 249 (91%)
NBME 11 (3 weeks out): 251 (91.5%)
NBME 12 (2 weeks out): 262 (95%)
NBME 16—>13 (1 week out): 262 (93.5%), 266 (95.5%)
2014 Free 150 (3 days out): 88%
Average of last 3 NBMEs: 263.3

260+ was my goal, and it's what I got.
...I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel just a little disappointed that I didn't get higher based on my NBME's, but I also recognize that I'd be ******ed to complain about it. My prep, exam, and entire Step 1 journey have been nothing but what I have hoped and tried for, and that's really all one can ask for.

I owe this site and its members a very sincere expression of gratitude. There are so many members here that have helped me and contributed to this huge adventure, that it would be silly to try and list them all. You know who you are -- to everyone that has messaged me, followed my progress with encouragement, replied to my posts: thank you. It's really amazing that completely anonymous people over the internet have made a verifiable difference in the rest of my life. What I'm doing in 20 years has been changed by your contributions.

I'd love to help anyone in any way I can. Pre-meds, MS0's, MS1's, and people still about to take the exam -- please message me about anything. Congratulations to everyone who has already completed this beast.

...It's finally over.
Congrats Kirby!

NBME 11-16 Average: 240
Real Deal: 250

In shock. Will follow up later.

262. Will update my previous posts later but for those still waiting, I felt like absolute dog **** after my exam. Keep the faith and trust the system. My NBME average (only 15 and 16) was 256 and my high NBME was 260 one week out. Absolutely stoked about my score considering I felt like I would be lucky to even hit my lowest NBME after the exam. Congrats to everyone for making it out alive. It's been a long month!

For people who get 250+
Can you please tell us how you felt after your exams? please because I did mine today and I feel like absolute crap about it. I am not trying to spread panic it wasn't hard it was doable .. but still I feel bad .. I don't think I gave it 100% .. although my NBME scores were high .. So is it okay to feel this way? and how did you feel after you took your test?

Absolutely OK to feel this way. At least 3-4 blocks of the test I probably marked something like 1/4 to 1/3 of the questions and I remembered making a list of questions every block where guessing was part of the answering process and every block had 5-10+ questions. So I was definitely thinking about lowering my goal from breaking 250 to breaking 240 to lessen the disappointment when the scores come. The important thing is to let bygones be bygones. Don't even think about the questions or try to confirm any that you thought you got wrong. I don't remember a single question from my exam (OK, maybe a CT image, but those get sort of burned into your brain) and am happy I packed away all my books the second I got home without cracking them open.

My exam was also fair, I didn't get many questions on obscure worms or random behavioral science questions. Got one about medicare which was in first aid but that was about it. I had about three or four questions in every block where I just didn't know the answer and could only narrow it down to two or three and took my best guess. Ended up marking about 10 per section. I got very tired during the fourth block and I barely made my way through it but I took a relatively long break to eat lunch and I was fine. First aid/uworld/pathoma are the best resources and you must get them. The real exam felt like uworld and not much like the nbmes. On the nbmes, I knew what they were asking for right away which made it easy to answer the questions but on step 1, it was harder to see what they were getting at. I listened to most of Goljan and if his information is solid, I got at least four questions right that I wouldn't have gotten without him. It's good for listening to in the car and for putting the picture together towards the end of your study but not necessary if you listen to pathoma, especially if you have a solid foundation in pathology.

I had a good amount of biochem on my test and immunology was rather overrepresented. My test was also very heavy on hem/onc, repro and renal. Had some respiratory, msk/derm and neuro but not too many cross sections. I had a few heart sounds and almost no psych (I'm guessing that this is due to the recent change to the DSM V) although there were some psych/neuro pharm with an emphasis on side effects which was expected. I wish I spent more time on pharm, the main side effects and mechanisms were important. Low amounts of cardio and GI especially compared to how much time my school spent on it. I also got a few questions on parasites and viruses but I didn't spend any time memorizing the whole enveloped vs not or the HHHHAPPYYY garbage first aid tries to make you learn. Good riddance.

I took seven weeks to study. Spent the first four weeks reading Kaplan Biochem, CMMRS, Kaplan Immuno, HY Embryo and BRS Physiology. I also read how the immune system works during winter break which I thought was hugely helpful. I think kaplan biochem was great and so was kaplan immuno. CMMRS was largely a waste of time although some of the memory aids helped. HY Embryo was a huge waste of time, I wish I read BRS anatomy instead but I didn't have time to get through it. All of the relevant embryology was in first aid but there were a few anatomy questions that I had to try to remember from class. They weren't in first aid or uworld although they helped you reason out which answers were incorrect. BRS Physiology was excellent, I highly recommend it. I read the relevant first aid chapters after I read these books. I also reread the biochem, pharm and micro sections of first aid the last few days before the test. I think if you have a lot of time to read books, they give you a solid background but otherwise just stick to first aid/uworld/pathoma. The last two weeks I spent going through a few NBMEs, reading first aid and trying to get through u world. I think I was ready by the 6th week, my uworld percentages stayed level and I was pretty tired of studying. I guess this is what people call the plateau. I felt like I was treading water in the last week, trying to keep things in my head without adding new information. 5 weeks is a little too short, 7 weeks is too long, 6 would have been perfect.

I was scoring between 40-60% on uworld in tutor mode while I was reading these books in the first month. After I watched pathoma in the 5th week and read the first aid pharm section, I was scoring in the 70s-80s range consistently in the second half of uworld in timed mode. Ended up finishing 92% of it with 67% correct overall. I don't feel bad about not finishing it but I do wish that I had more time to read through first aid. I started out trying to do 46 question blocks when I didn't know anything so I did poorly and spent a lot of time reading explanations. I think it's better to just study up early and start uworld slow just to get the feel of the questions.

school administered nbme exam 190 - 2 months out
uwsa 1 - 228 (540) - 21 days out
uwsa 2 - 250 (660) - 13 days out
nbme 7 - 242 (610) - 10 days out
nbm 15 - 249 nbme 11 - 244 - 6 days out
free 138 pdf april 2014 - 90% - 3 days out

http://www.scribd.com/doc/52845176/NBME-USMLE-SCORE-TABLE I used this chart to score my nbmes, not sure how accurate it is.

On the real exam, I skipped the tutorial and got 15 extra minutes of break for an hour. Ended up using most of it, took short breaks between most blocks and had a little lunch. When I was finishing the first block, I was freaking out because I looked up and saw that I was on block 2 of 8. I sat there for literally 5 minutes thinking about how I screwed over my entire future by somehow passing over an entire block before I realized that there are only 7 blocks on step 1. Anyway, I hope this helps you guys. I was going to wait until I got my score back to post this so it would be more useful but most people will be done by then so I'm posting it now. Will update with my score later.

I forgot to mention that I did about 1/3 of USMLERX throughout the year with my classes for our exams, organ based. I ended up listening to about 2/3 of goljan in my car during the year as we went through the organs.

Step 1 - 250

Last edited:
Does anyone know till what Test Date they are publishing scores today. I took on 24th June but have not received a Email yet
It looks like they released up to June 19. June 20 and later weren't released today. Bummed because I took it on the 20th