Official 2014 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Whatever you are, be a good one
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Too early? Pff nah it's not.
It's our time to shine bright like a diamond!
It's our time to make step 1 our Goliath.

. . . and may the odds be ever in your favor.
WE GOT THIS!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
After reading some previous threads, it appears it lets you reapply even if you passed. I guess that's kind of a relief but until I get my score I'll still be scared s***less.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
After reading some previous threads, it appears it lets you reapply even if you passed. I guess that's kind of a relief but until I get my score I'll still be scared s***less.
Awesome!!! I was really about to freak out (more than I already am!!!)

Did anyone receive the email saying when their score was going to be posted?
I received an email saying that my score will be available after 11:00am ET. Took the exam 5/26.

(New to the forums, but have been watching it for a long time. Good luck everyone!)

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I haven't received an email yet but my scheduling permit link is gone. I took it 6/10 so I should be getting it today I thought.

For all of you who got the e-mail, what was your test date? Mine was June 9 and I haven't heard anything. I've been hyping up for today and if I find out I have to wait another week it's gonna suck.

Members don't see this ad :)
For all of you who got the e-mail, what was your test date? Mine was June 9 and I haven't heard anything. I've been hyping up for today and if I find out I have to wait another week it's gonna suck.
I had mine on 5 june and still havent got any email

263. Cannot tell you how freaking shocked and grateful I am. Will edit this post soon in order to be a useful contributor.

Reactions: 6 users
263. Cannot tell you how freaking shocked and grateful I am. Will edit this post soon in order to be a useful contributor.

congrats man! thought there would be no 260+ with all this new pool scare going around.

great job!

took my test on May 27th haven't received emails/results...is anybody out there in the same situation???

Got the email exactly at 11:00. Test date 6/11. Score: 263

Will update later to make this post useful.

Edit:

Studied for 5.5 weeks
2x FA
1x UWorld timed, random (77% correct overall)
Got 3/4 way through pathoma
Went through some cases in the FA cases book with a friend off and on

NBME 13: 205 (3 months before I started studying, school made me do it to gauge baseline)
UWSA 1: 262 (5/24, after first pass FA, 2.5 weeks before actual exam)
UWSA 2: 265 (5/31, half way through pass 2 of FA, 1.5 weeks before)
NBME 16: 260 (6/6, mostly done UW, 2x FA, weekend before)
NBME 15: 254 (6/9, mostly done studying, 2 days before)

NBME 15 was the hardest I thought and closest to the real thing in style and difficulty. UW was very helpful. However, the UWSA were the most predictive at least score-wise if not content/difficulty wise.

Congrats to everyone for getting through this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
209!

I yoloed my step 1 couldn't stand people stressing me out. Only did uworld question and picmonic

Uworld assessment 1 was 221
Uworld assessment 2 was 230

Studied for 3 weeks. This should be enough for the residencies I want.

My experience so far:

Resources: UWorld, Pathoma, First Aid, DIT, SketchyMicro

Practice scores:
NBME 16 (10 weeks out, baseline before beginning studying): 185
NBME 13 (5 weeks out): 247
NBME 12 (4 weeks out): 245
UWorld finished (4ish weeks out): ~70%? I don't remember, and I reset my account..
NBME 11 (3 weeks out): 260
NBME 7 (10 days out): 260
NBME 15: (7 days out) : 258
Free 138: 94%
UWSA2: 265​

I used UWorld + Pathoma + First Aid for my first pass which took about 5 weeks. I went through FA in order. Biochem/micro/pharm took me a while; I read the FA chapter and searched google/youtube for clarification with concepts I didn't understand. Honestly, I just tried to read as much as possible, because FA felt like bare bones especially for biochem. I also did the corresponding UWorld questions on untimed, tutor mode (sets of about 10 questions each). This was an immense help early in the process because I started to realize which concepts were emphasized and which weren't, and obviously UWorld explanations are extremely thorough so it was a great addition to FA. SketchyMicro was amazing for bacteriology, especially for people who are visual learners like me. My performance on UWorld micro section jumped from 50% to 80-90% after completing it. Once I got to pathology/immunology and the organ systems, my strategy changed and became more focused. I watched Pathoma while actively taking notes in the margin (extremely important, in my opinion) and then read the chapter again after having watched the video. I then read FA and again did the corresponding UWorld questions (untimed, tutor).

After my first pass through all of the material, I took NBME 13 to assess my progress and was pretty happy with the result. Since I still had 5 week left, I started the DIT course; I just watched the videos and re-read the corresponding chapters in FA and was done in about 3 weeks. I found the DIT study guide to be a waste of time, but I guess I can see how it would be useful if you had a lot more time left before the exam. I was definitely wiped after that, since I was watching 4-5 hours of videos a day. It felt too passive, but my scores did jump after having completed it. I'm honestly not sure if it's because of DIT or because of the second pass through FA... As for practice questions, I started UWorld second pass and did 20ish question sets whenever I felt like it. I haven't found it helpful in terms of learning anything new, but I do think it's great for retaining information. It's extremely important to constantly do questions and keep your mind engaged.

I'll update with my test day experience when it comes, and then hopefully a happy ending a few weeks after that, haha.

Goal: 245
Actual: ???

I also took the test today and definitely thought it was fair. I did walk in to the exam with apprehension and was prepared to feel like **** after it was over. Thankfully, that didn't happen.

I'd say 40% were easy, 40% took some reasoning (lots of arrow physio questions - seems to be a trend), and 20% basically require you to eliminate answers you know to be wrong and then guess between 2 that you're left with. They also try to trick you on some of the easier questions by throwing a random answer choice that you've never heard of before which makes you second guess your choice, so stick to your gut and don't fall for it. Timing wasn't bad, and there was a good mix of question lengths. Some were quite short and some where like essays, but you just have to skim and look ahead to the question/answers because some of the stuff they include in the stem is extraneous and there to waste your time. For example, there were a few questions that was literally 2 long paragraphs, but the last sentence before the actual question gave you all you needed to know. I had about 10-15min left after each section. I marked 10-15 questions per block, but I'm usually a pretty liberal ''marker".

I took all the NBMEs and UWSA2, and I'd say the exam was closer to UWSA in terms of difficulty and time management but with a few more ambiguous questions. I had a lot more biochem/micro/immuno than I expected, but it was pretty straightforward except for a few experiment based questions which were just wtf. In terms of organ systems, I had a pretty good mix of things, but neuro was lacking. I only had like 4 neuroanatomy questions which were so straightforward that it made me upset that I spent any time trying to memorize those cross sections. There was a good amount of anatomy, but I still feel like doing anything beyond what's in FA or UWorld would not have helped me answer some of those questions. Overall, I'd say 80% of the exam was in FA/Pathoma/UWorld, so stick to those and you'll be fine. And take as many practice exams as you can. Even though I didn't get any repeat questions, there were a few that were quite similar. I wouldn't have gotten them if I didn't go over my wrongs.

And yes, as someone above mentioned, fatigue is real, and it hit me around block 5. Be prepared to have lower back pain, eye strain, and a headache. Bring some ibuprofen, don't be a dummy like me.

Good luck everyone!

Wow... goal at beginning of prep was 245, practice NBME scores ranged from 245 to 260 and 265 on UWSA1. See experiences quoted above.

Actual Step 1: 267.

Cannot be any happier right now.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Just got my results back:

UWSA 1: 256
NBME 15: 245
NBME 16: 251

Score: 254

Definitely happy with that! Didn't expect to actually crack into the 250's.

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, just had my test yesterday. My experience was very predictable after reading a bunch of other people's experiences. In other words, it was very difficult, but not more than you would expect from what people tell you about.

I could go into detail on all the crazy questions that were on there (there were some truly WTF minutiae), but that would only unnecessarily worry you. There's absolutely no way to know these questions, trust me. You will be tested on things that have one paragraph or less of a Wikipedia article on them (obviously not in any review book). You will be tested on things that come from a recent case study of an exceedingly rare infection. You will not be able to study for these, no matter what you do. All you can do is infer with the massive amount of knowledge you've accumulated, and eliminate answer choices. The power of eliminating answer choices is truly enormous; only when you can confidently eliminate every other answer choice can you confidently select an answer you've never heard of.

I walked out of my exam actually feeling really good about my preparation. I can truly say that every single one of the following resources got me a question right by itself (not just due to overlap - the resource contributed something unique):
-FA
-UWorld
-Pathoma
-UWorld Subject Review
-Goljan lectures
-Goljan RR (wouldn't recommend reading it if you're limited on time...but what little I did read alongside classes turned out to score me a couple Q's)
-BRS Physio
-http://w-radiology.com/chest_ct.php (far more helpful for me than others have reported)

Oh and DO students -- laughably, I got a question right solely because of OMM (e.g. sympathetic innervation to the arm = T2-8).

Of course, the FA+UWorld+Pathoma trinity was truly deserving of kudos. I was amazed how helpful they were above all. Pathoma and UWorld gave a unique contribution through their emphasis on the small stuff that wasn't in FA. Don't dismiss this stuff, guys, it's there for a reason. Even those really rare diseases -- I got a histiocytosis question and a Sezary syndrome question. Pathoma popped into my head describing "cerebriform nuclei", and that's exactly what the picture looked like.

One big point I'd like to make: Judging from my test and the NBME's I've taken, the Biostats and Epidemiology stuff in FA is insufficient. The content more closely resembles what's in UWorld. The UWorld Subject Review has a lot of gold too -- somewhere between the unnecessary detail that I never got asked anywhere else, there are several questions that I got right on NBME's and the real deal solely because they were just like what I got in the Subject Review.

Another thing: There was a lot more "next step in management" and "best prognostic factor" questions -- probably about 6. The best prognostic factor ones are easier to infer from FA, but the next step in management stuff got pretty tough. Incredibly, I used an example of a Step 2 level management question that they wouldn't test on the real deal in reply to a thread...and actually got that exact question on my test! Unbelievable. I actually made up the question from a fact I remembered from a Goljan lecture, where he said the screening test of choice for the gallbladder is an ultrasound. That question was the hardest -- others were more obvious (e.g. you need to diagnose some visceral pathology, but 4/5 answer choices are GI tract imaging). So, for you M1's: Definitely try and get through the Goljan lectures and pick up on his Step 2 level stuff if you can. For M2's: Probably too late to go through the Goljan lectures, but pay attention to the clinical management stuff in the blue text if you have time to do it (6+ weeks or something).

I got a ton of CT's, mostly chest CT's. Some of them were just supplementary and unnecessary to answer the question, but a couple of them you definitely needed to read the CT fairly well. Amazingly, I actually got a question where you had to put several CT's in order of progression -- I think I had a shot at getting it right purely due to that radiology website I referenced.

Got like 3-4 incontinence questions...heard this from people who have taken it throughout May as well. Easy points, worth mastering the types.

I used @ChessMaster3000 's method of plowing through the questions 1x through attempting to leave 25 minutes (my goal), then going through marked (usually around 1/4 - 1/3 of my Q's were marked) until 8-10 minutes left, then going through all non-marked once again. This worked very well -- as he said, you'll amaze yourself how many questions you can answer instantly just based on some key words. Or the amount of context you can get by skimming a question (BMI = 17 + gymnast...going to be an anorexia/bulemia question). Thanks for the tip Chess, you're the man.

The NPV of marking questions (i.e. the probability of an unmarked Q being correct) of my NBME's was around 98%. That meant on a 322 question test, there would be about 6-7 Q's that I thought I got right that were incorrect -- 1 per block. So especially if you're shooting for 260+, there is huge utility in going back through unmarked ones if you can. I caught 1 question that was guaranteed wrong because I read "increased" instead of "decreased", and it was unmarked.

All in all, I feel decently well about it. I absolutely got plenty of questions wrong, which was certainly discouraging. It was just something where you'd have to take a break after that block, take a swig of a caffeinated drink, go in the bathroom, and give yourself a pep talk in the mirror. I'd love to help anyone out with anything else they were wondering about test day (when to take breaks, what the locker situation is like, etc.) or their prep situation. Feel free to PM me! Good luck guys.

I'll update with my score + NBME score history when it comes.

Score: 261

CBSE (9 weeks out): 255
NBME 7 (4 weeks out): 249 (91%)
NBME 11 (3 weeks out): 251 (91.5%)
NBME 12 (2 weeks out): 262 (95%)
NBME 16—>13 (1 week out): 262 (93.5%), 266 (95.5%)
2014 Free 150 (3 days out): 88%
Average of last 3 NBMEs: 263.3

260+ was my goal, and it's what I got.
...I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel just a little disappointed that I didn't get higher based on my NBME's, but I also recognize that I'd be ******ed to complain about it. My prep, exam, and entire Step 1 journey have been nothing but what I have hoped and tried for, and that's really all one can ask for.

I owe this site and its members a very sincere expression of gratitude. There are so many members here that have helped me and contributed to this huge adventure, that it would be silly to try and list them all. You know who you are -- to everyone that has messaged me, followed my progress with encouragement, replied to my posts: thank you. It's really amazing that completely anonymous people over the internet have made a verifiable difference in the rest of my life. What I'm doing in 20 years has been changed by your contributions.

I'd love to help anyone in any way I can. Pre-meds, MS0's, MS1's, and people still about to take the exam -- please message me about anything. Congratulations to everyone who has already completed this beast.

...It's finally over.

Reactions: 27 users

...I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel just a little disappointed that I didn't get higher based on my NBME's, but I also recognize that I'd be ******ed to complain about it. My prep, exam, and entire Step 1 journey have been nothing but what I have hoped and tried for, and that's really all one can ask for.

I owe this site and its members a very sincere expression of gratitude. There are so many members here that have helped me and contributed to this huge adventure, that it would be silly to try and list them all. You know who you are -- to everyone that has messaged me, followed my progress with encouragement, replied to my posts: thank you. It's really amazing that completely anonymous people over the internet have made a verifiable difference in the rest of my life. What I'm doing in 20 years has been changed by your contributions.

I'd love to help anyone in any way I can. Pre-meds, MS0's, MS1's, and people still about to take the exam -- please message me about anything. Congratulations to everyone who has already completed this beast.

...It's finally over.
Hahahaha yeah Blue!! Congratulations! So happy for you!!

Just checked my score, got a 253. I'm ecstatic but in complete shock, I never would have guessed I got a 250 after the test.

Reactions: 5 users

...It's finally over.
You deserved it man. Congrats.

Relevant posts of mine from the thread.

I took the test a few days ago. BEWARE: do not read this if you are concerned about getting freaked out.

Test was nothing like the NBMEs. I don't think it was like UWorld either, because UW almost invariably gives you sufficient information to figure out a unifying diagnosis (as the NBMEs did). This test seemed like they put a bunch of random info together in the stems. I wish that I could tell you that NBMEs are useful diagnostic tools, but after my exam, I can't honestly say that. Hell, I practically hold it against the NBME that they provide those CBSSAs, considering that I now view them as nothing but misleading traps.

Random info - I scored in the 250s - 260 range on the NBMEs, and got 95% on the free 150 three days before the test. No repeats.

I'll be thrilled if I eke out a 240.

Well said. I would offer this tidbit to those who have taken or are soon to take the test: don't let your score or experience get you down.

Based on my practice test results, I was more than ready to take the exam. I knew the material. I still felt like every other question was a guess.

The test is not fair. There is no even distribution of subject matter (e.g. cardiovascular, pulm, derm, rheum, etc.) or quality control for inanely vague stems/questions between individual tests, and I maintain that the organizers of this thing do a piss-poor job.

So, regardless of the quality of your prep, I'd say that your score could take a +/- 25-point swing on test day, depending on whether you get "your test." If you don't... whatever. It's over.

I stand by my position that Step 1 is a poorly organized and unfair method of assessment of preclinical knowledge.

Now, sources used:

• Pathoma throughout the year (approximately 2 passes during relevant blocks)
  • UWorld throughout the year. I don't recall my first-pass averages being top-of-the-line (I think they were anywhere from 63-80%)
  • No other qbanks to any significant degree (bought Rx but only cracked it open for a couple of tests)
  • FA throughout the year - went through each section ~3 times before the relevant final, and annotated pretty heavily from UWorld
  • Again, so you get the picture: my only learning sources during the year were Pathoma, UWorld, and FA. I also read BRS pathology the weekend before each block, just to familiarize myself with the concepts, but this didn't really add much at all.
Study period: 5.5 weeks

• did all the NBMEs
  • went through FA maybe 1.5 times. Believe me, after going through it intensely the first time, it starts to elicit a serious gag reflex.
  • did ~65% of the UWorld questions again
  • read Pathoma one during the period
  • listened to Goljan audio at the gym - I would definitely recommend that people still use the audio. He likes the "next best step" approach, and these questions are increasingly ubiquitous on Step 1 (which I consider inappropriate).
What I'd do differently: go to some more class lectures, and read Goljan throughout 2nd year. I suspect that the NBME people are onto the FA + Pathoma + UWorld formula, and are scheming to specifically ask questions on less "high-yield" topics. I would also do one qbank besides UWorld - can't say which, because I have no basis for comparison (e.g. between Kaplan and Rx), but exposure to different types of questions can only help you for this exam.

I truly pity those of you who will be taking Step 1 next year or thereafter.

...It's finally over.

what about urinary incontinence ?step2 question? from where we can study those

Relevant posts of mine from the thread.

I stand by my position that Step 1 is a poorly organized and unfair method of assessment of preclinical knowledge.

Now, sources used:

• Pathoma throughout the year (approximately 2 passes during relevant blocks)
  • UWorld throughout the year. I don't recall my first-pass averages being top-of-the-line (I think they were anywhere from 63-80%)
  • No other qbanks to any significant degree (bought Rx but only cracked it open for a couple of tests)
  • FA throughout the year - went through each section ~3 times before the relevant final, and annotated pretty heavily from UWorld
  • Again, so you get the picture: my only learning sources during the year were Pathoma, UWorld, and FA. I also read BRS pathology the weekend before each block, just to familiarize myself with the concepts, but this didn't really add much at all.
Study period: 5.5 weeks

• did all the NBMEs
  • went through FA maybe 1.5 times. Believe me, after going through it intensely the first time, it starts to elicit a serious gag reflex.
  • did ~65% of the UWorld questions again
  • read Pathoma one during the period
  • listened to Goljan audio at the gym - I would definitely recommend that people still use the audio. He likes the "next best step" approach, and these questions are increasingly ubiquitous on Step 1 (which I consider inappropriate).
What I'd do differently: go to some more class lectures, and read Goljan throughout 2nd year. I suspect that the NBME people are onto the FA + Pathoma + UWorld formula, and are scheming to specifically ask questions on less "high-yield" topics. I would also do one qbank besides UWorld - can't say which, because I have no basis for comparison (e.g. between Kaplan and Rx), but exposure to different types of questions can only help you for this exam.

I truly pity those of you who will be taking Step 1 next year or thereafter.

Thanks for the heads up but can you please elaborate the last statement a bit.

I am going to take step 1 and I am curious to what you have to say.

He means that the test writers are onto the common study methods and are asking about more obscure topics. I definitely agree after taking my test.

Hit my goal but I walked out feeling like 235-240. Oh well. What's done is done.

5/10/2014 - UWorld SA 1: 211
5/16/2014 - NBME Comprehensive: 220
5/30/2014 - NBME 16: 228
6/7/2014 - UWorld SA 2: 244
6/13/2014 - NBME 15: 234
6/19/2014 - USMLE Step 1: 230

Thanks for the heads up but can you please elaborate the last statement a bit.

I am going to take step 1 and I am curious to what you have to say.

There are not nearly as many buzzwords, they are testing more obscure details about diseases, and there more questions that are, IMO, far too clinical for a basic science exam (e.g. "what is the next best step?").

Again, the best things to do are to attend more lectures (or watch the videos) and start thinking clinically even in second year. E.g., associate gallstones with ordering an ultrasound, kidney stones with CT scan, etc.