*~*~*~* Official 2015-2016 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey you guys! Just wanted to congratulate you all who have been accepted! If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if it would be possible for y'all to post your GPAs and DAT scores once you've received your acceptance letters so I can see if I stand a chance! Thank you and have a nice day!

Nova acceptance- 19 AA 20 TS 21 PAT GPA 3.8, sGPA 4.0

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
2 days left. Honestly the only thing keeping me sane at the moment is watching the GOP political circus headed by the Donald Duck

Reactions: 7 users
Hey you guys! Just wanted to congratulate you all who have been accepted! If it's not too much to ask, I was wondering if it would be possible for y'all to post your GPAs and DAT scores once you've received your acceptance letters so I can see if I stand a chance! Thank you and have a nice day!

Thanks! I received the acceptance letter yesterday :)

22 AA 21 TS 21 PAT
GPA 3.7, sGPA 3.7

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
But you didn't apply there for a reason.

I get everyone wants to act humble on here with the usual "I'd be happy to get an acceptance at any dental school!" but the fact is some dental schools are better than others, and NOVA is not a very good one. Schools like NOVA, LECOM, Meharry, and Howard are where you go if you didn't get in anywhere else.

Seriously? Seriously?? Dental school is dental school. Whether you graduate from worst dental school in the country or from the best one...you are a DENTIST.

And i'm pretty sure kindness is one of the qualities someone looks for in a dentist. So, why do you want to be a dentist again?

Reactions: 27 users

I get everyone wants to act humble on here with the usual "I'd be happy to get an acceptance at any dental school!" but the fact is some dental schools are better than others, and NOVA is not a very good one. Schools like NOVA, LECOM, Meharry, and Howard are where you go if you didn't get in anywhere else.
Where did you apply/interview at? I'd give up my spot just so I wasn't classmates with you. You're the type of person who always looks down at people and thinks you're better then everyone. Some people don't have crazy good stats or live somewhere that has a state school so places like NOVA and LECOM are great. And even if people do have crazy stats or a state school they still choose to go to NOVA or LECOM because they are great schools. Stop pushing people down to try and lift yourself up because it makes you look like a fool!

Reactions: 27 users
I shadowed a dentist this summer who went to Nova. He was top in his class and is an amazing dentist. He highly recommends the school.

Reactions: 4 users
I posted this in the Midwestern thread but I'll post it here too:

I got an interview at Midwestern Arizona in mid January. It didn't say anything about a wait list or anything. What does it mean? I'm just curious because it's a post December interview. I got the interview in August

I wouldn't worry about it, getting an acceptance at NOVA is like getting a job at McDonalds.

That's uncalled for and very unprofessional.

On a lighter note, Congratulations to everyone receiving acceptance letters from Nova!

Reactions: 12 users

I got 8 interviews and nova sits near the top on my rankings. Just because it's not in a deprived area doesn't make it bad. The interviewer explained it to me like this: a school like Maryland, Illinois, and Detroit will attract the patients that get the extraction but don't get the implant or the dentures. It may be in less quantity that you'll extract but I'm sure it doesn't take 300 extractions to learn how to extract perfectly. And if you want to claim I interviewed at other bad schools like lecom and Howard then you're wrong. I got the three I listed above including a few others that I won't mention. No need to undermine another school because they released an acceptance DATED FOR DECEMBER 1st but happened to get there before. I'm sure you wouldn't reject an acceptance if you got one from even the lowest school on the list

Reactions: 11 users

5524f1374ae6274f2547f36533e69fb4.gif

Reactions: 3 users
I got 8 interviews and nova sits near the top on my rankings. Just because it's not in a deprived area doesn't make it bad. The interviewer explained it to me like this: a school like Maryland, Illinois, and Detroit will attract the patients that get the extraction but don't get the implant or the dentures. It may be in less quantity that you'll extract but I'm sure it doesn't take 300 extractions to learn how to extract perfectly. And if you want to claim I interviewed at other bad schools like lecom and Howard then you're wrong. I got the three I listed above including a few others that I won't mention. No need to undermine another school because they released an acceptance DATED FOR DECEMBER 1st but happened to get there before. I'm sure you wouldn't reject an acceptance if you got one from even the lowest school on the list
Absolutely wouldn't reject it. I have no problem with the applicants at all. My problems are with the system in general.

"But happened to get there before"? Come on now.

I'm done with it though guys. I didn't mean to start anything like this. Awesome job Nova people! I would kill to be in your shoes.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm done with it though guys. I didn't mean to start anything like this. Awesome job Nova people! I would kill to be in your shoes.
People took this way too personally. It's not cool that NOVA is the only school that chose not to honor the agreement between all the schools to wait until Dec 1 and that's just a fact.

Reactions: 1 user
I thought all the schools had to follow the ADEA policy. So i dont know why NOVA sent it out early. Are they not under the ADEA ADDSAS system? Or can schools send it out when they want?

Does no one here think they just mis judged when the letters would get there with Thanksgiving and the weekend?

Reactions: 10 users
Does no one here think they just mis judged when the letters would get there with Thanksgiving and the weekend?
I mean... if you look into it just a little bit you can figure out which days have no postal service. I'm sure all the offices of admissions have been working for a while to plan out the first acceptances. It was probably someone's job to figure out.

I mean... if you look into it just a little bit you can figure out which days have no postal service. I'm sure all the offices of admissions have been working for a while to plan out the first acceptances. It was probably someone's job to figure out.

Bigger mistakes have been made..

Left Shark anyone?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1448777410.932836.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Ad hominem doesn't refute anything I said. Try again, this time addressing why you feel Nova is not below average in quality for a dental school. The caliber of its students (or lack thereof) speaks for itself. There's a reason competitive applicants don't even apply there.

Also, I don't think you get how analogies work.

I really liked nova and I interviewed at penn and Columbia...

Really? The average DAT for NOVA last year was a 20, with a sGPA of 3.6 and oGPA of 3.7 which was the 7th highest average oGPA out of all of the dental schools. Just exactly what is the caliber of students where you applied???

Congrats to the early acceptees...and yes, they should email/ call on the 1st like the rest of the schools.

Let's move on guys. Some people like to use the Internet to get reactions. Just flag their posts if you find that they violate SDN. Let's keep our negative thoughts and opinions about people's acceptances/ school choices to ourselves. That's not what this specific forum is intended for. To be honest, every single one of us should simply just be thankful for an acceptance to any dental school. It's YOU who makes a great dentist, not the school. We will all graduate with the basics of dentistry. You are basically given a license to learn and it is after that point where people will push themselves to become great dentists or not. So many factors beyond DAT scores, school rankings, and grades go into making an awesome dentist. So let's just keep that in mind and roll in everyone's great news and sad news with as much support as we can give! Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 22 users
The only remotely competitive school you interviewed at was UNC, so I'm not sure where you got the impression you are a competitive applicant.

I encourage you to find more civil ways to disagree with people in the future.
PlasmaMembrane,

Stop insulting everyone that calls you out on your behavior. I'm pretty sure accreditation of a dental school indicates the ability it has to produce dentists that are capable of passing their boards. You have no right to determine who is a competitive applicant. Also, your cocky attitude is very stinky and won't mesh well with a lot of the mission statements that most dental schools hold. Most schools want to serve the communities around them by addressing inequalities in affordable dental care. I hope you can humble yourself before you matriculate so that you can adequately serve your patients that are struggling to make a living and rely on free or reduced rate dental care in clinics in which you are developing your skills. Or are you too good to take care of patients that could be working at jobs, such as McDonalds?

Reactions: 11 users
@PlasmaMembrane does not say anything that violates Term of Service so I don't think the mods can ban him

however, what he says has some points. NOVA charges tuition that is almost equal to MWU-AZ (which makes patients rain like rainfall, which means you do all scopes of dentistry) where NOVA I truly see the lack of patients that the interviewer tries to hide (interviewer told me I will only take care of simple cases because hard cases are taken care of by specialty residents)

I mean I will not pay 300k+ in tuition + fee for NOVA if I get in NOVA and MWU-AZ given its patient pool.

However, what everyone on here forgets is LECOM, LECOM is super cheap (220k everything except living cost). Thus, I can and will go to LECOM and tolerate its lack of patients if I want less debt but definitely not NOVA.

I interviewed at all schools mentioned above. However, high success rate in specialization is seen in nova students. but thats not the point now as I dont even know if i will specialize.

But Plasmamembrane is really immature for calling out Mcdonald jobs and such. Even as graduated dentists, we will treat patients from all walks of life and this discriminating thought in our mind just wont cut us any break.

Reactions: 4 users
Whenever you hear commercials on TV saying"4 out of 5 dentists recommend our product..." just remember PlasmaMembrane is that 5th dentist that doesn't recommend it.

Reactions: 34 users
I thought all the schools had to follow the ADEA policy. So i dont know why NOVA sent it out early. Are they not under the ADEA ADDSAS system? Or can schools send it out when they want?
They've been doing it for a while apparently. If you read the previous years threads, you'll see the same thing. I really don't care if it's a day or 2 early as long as it's not 1 or 2 late! Lol!!! We've been waiting so many months already for December 1st to come that being a day late would be too nerve wrecking...:scared:

I said that in my post... They seem to be living in the 20th century when emails were not that common and a snail sent letter was considered more proper...

Let's move on guys. Some people like to use the Internet to get reactions. Just flag their posts if you find that they violate SDN. Let's keep our negative thoughts and opinions about people's acceptances/ school choices to ourselves. That's not what this specific forum is intended for. To be honest, every single one of us should simply just be thankful for an acceptance to any dental school. It's YOU who makes a great dentist, not the school. We will all graduate with the basics of dentistry. You are basically given a license to learn and it is after that point where people will push themselves to become great dentists or not. So many factors beyond DAT scores, school rankings, and grades go into making an awesome dentist. So let's just keep that in mind and roll in everyone's great news and sad news with as much support as we can give! Good luck everyone!
Exactly!!! Sometimes reading posts here makes me wonder the kind of future health professionals that are going to be out in the real world one day. Let's face it: stats are important but they aren't all. You have to be the whole package to be accepted at a dental school. You have to be smart and compassionate. That's why the volunteer hours are so important. Shows how much you care about your community. And hopefully everyone learned that and not just accumulated hours for the application process. Also, at school you will be just given the basics of dentistry like Dr. Penny says. The real world goes beyond the x amount of extractions or fillings that you will be able to do while in school. You will see so many cases that are different that you will feel like you know NOTHING. Now, on the other hand, do you think patients stop and read the diploma hanging on the wall saying where you graduated? Nope. They go by personal reference. If you are a compassionate dentist who takes care of them with respect regardless if they go to your office by bus or in their Porsche, you will be successful regardless of where you graduated. If you are good on what you do, it doesn't matter where you graduated from. It will only matter when you see your student debt, but that's another topic... :p
Let's just move one and celebrate the acceptances of everyone here! We've shared too much great stuff and every little step that led us to this moment. Let's keep the great spirit and let's show what makes us the great future of dentistry!!!!!!:highfive:

I'm in at NOVA!

PS I live in Massachusetts so the snail mail has arrived to the north to all those waiting for NOVA!

Reactions: 7 users
I actually posted this in another thread, but.. I think ya'll just needa chill bout this NOVA shtuff and remember what's most important in life: GIFS!!

DECEMBER 1ST:
4:00 AM.
BartonFink.gif

8:00 AM.
okay.gif

8:01 AM.
635796213267165508-1163272492_%3Fwidth=500&version=1938161

10:44 AM.
tumblr_n0y58sNnhI1rjatglo1_400.gif

1o:45 AM.
1421686185-a31d0ad3939f64e9f2dcaf60467d14d1.jpg

12:00 PM -> August 31st? XD
tumblr_mlvm1lXKzU1rk5zfdo1_400.gif

GOODLUCK EVERYONEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 36 users
I actually posted this in another thread, but.. I think ya'll just needa chill bout this NOVA shtuff and remember what's most important in life: GIFS!!

DECEMBER 1ST:
BartonFink.gif

okay.gif

Saw when you posted this before. It's pretty impressive. Well done!

DECEMBER 1ST:
BartonFink.gif

okay.gif

I hope I'm not in the 12pm-->august category. Btw out of curiosity, what was the that last GIF about?

I hope I'm not in the 12pm-->august category. Btw out of curiosity, what was the that last GIF about?
He's been drafted by a pro football team I think

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Did anyone's status changed from "invited to interview" to "Check Back Dec.1st"???....Mine did not:(

Did anyone's status changed from "invited to interview" to "Check Back Dec.1st"???....Mine did not:(
Only USC changed for me, while other schools, such as UoP, stayed the same.

I read in previous threads that "Check back Dec. 1st" signifies that a decision has been made. However, the evidence for that assertion has been sporatic at best, especially since many schools aren't doing that this year, as JLT223 previously mentioned. Honestly, I think the status change doesn't mean much and that you will be perfectly fine. Good luck! :)

Only USC changed for me, while other schools, such as UoP, stayed the same.

I read in previous threads that "Check back Dec. 1st" signifies that a decision has been made. However, the evidence for that assertion has been sporatic at best, especially since many schools aren't doing that this year, as JLT223 previously mentioned. Honestly, I think the status change doesn't mean much and that you will be perfectly fine. Good luck! :)

I hope this isn't true

Me and weakfart seemed to follow each other to every interview and now we are getting the same rejections

#2 rejection Ohio

I hope this isn't representative of tomorrow morning!!!

Me and weakfart seemed to follow each other to every interview and now we are getting the same rejections

#2 rejection Ohio

I hope this isn't representative of tomorrow morning!!!

So only one of us has to be up tomorrow then? Just fill me in on our acceptances and rejections tomorrow afternoon

Reactions: 14 users
I hope this isn't true
Its not. I was told by a credible source that Marquette had the decisions made almost 2 weeks ago, but the portal has not changed.

Regardless, a wait list decision or a rejection is still a decision, so I assume the portal would say decision made no matter the outcome. But like I said, some schools have decided already and did not update the portal.