Step I Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number
 
Last edited:
Really? Do you guys do them before you learn the material in class?

For the most part no. Our exam questions aren't really integrated or comprehensive like kaplan ones so the kaplan ones naturally take a little time getting used to. But I guess more importantly, I find that there are some details that I just never made connections with while learning the material the first time because they weren't really emphasized. There are some questions though where I just hadn't learned the material because we were just never taught it...not at that point at least. I also don't really get the chance to do many practice questions before I get to Kaplan so I don't have the material hammered into my brain before I start. Sucks =\
 
For the most part no. Our exam questions aren't really integrated or comprehensive like kaplan ones so the kaplan ones naturally take a little time getting used to. But I guess more importantly, I find that there are some details that I just never made connections with while learning the material the first time because they weren't really emphasized. There are some questions though where I just hadn't learned the material because we were just never taught it...not at that point at least. I also don't really get the chance to do many practice questions before I get to Kaplan so I don't have the material hammered into my brain before I start. Sucks =\

Ah I see. I usually do pathoma and our course lectures before I do Kaplan. I don't do other questions until after I finish all the Kaplan questions (Kaplan is first priority for me). I figured my scores were because the material is all fresh, but maybe our curriculum is better at teaching step 1 relevant stuff than I originally thought.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Well again I have only gone over the neuro section and that was the following weeks after we completed the section. Some of the questions were 2-3 weeks out our neuro section so by that time the info started to fade. So no I didn't do the qBank q's before the material in lecture, but I also didn't watch kaplan videos or do pathoma beforehand to get all the high yield stuff. That is actually a good plan and I may do that before each section I review over Xmas break.
 
Ah I see. I usually do pathoma and our course lectures before I do Kaplan. I don't do other questions until after I finish all the Kaplan questions (Kaplan is first priority for me). I figured my scores were because the material is all fresh, but maybe our curriculum is better at teaching step 1 relevant stuff than I originally thought.

I like to do robbins questions before kaplan to make sure I actually know the material before going in to do the more detail-oriented kaplan ones. Otherwise I just feel like I'm wasting all the kaplan ones =\ Too bad I haven't really had time to even do robbins lately..
 
I like to do robbins questions before kaplan to make sure I actually know the material before going in to do the more detail-oriented kaplan ones. Otherwise I just feel like I'm wasting all the kaplan ones =\ Too bad I haven't really had time to even do robbins lately..

I like to do robbins last... if at all. Imo qbanks test everything in robbins except for details.. details that are of questionable importance.
 
I like to do robbins last... if at all. Imo qbanks test everything in robbins except for details.. details that are of questionable importance.

Fair point. The main reason I do them is to help solidify class content as we cover the material. I guess it just helps build my confidence before I hit kaplan after the block ends. Maybe I should just read FA before doing kaplan instead..hmm
 
what are your percentages like on Robbins? and anyone doing Rx?

I use RX but mostly after my block exams on tutor mode. I just decided to start incorporating both blocks and material from 1st year. I'm so behind this 3rd block already. I wanted to start looking at my Kaplan high yield and reading FA13 this block but not happening so far. We're on the cardio and gram neg/mycology block.
 
What does everyone have planned for Thanksgiving break?

Might try to get some FC done over Thanksgiving, but other than that just gonna chill.

questions, questions, and more questions. i've fallen so far behind this block =(

but seeing as how I hardly ever get anything done at home, I'm not expecting anything =\
 
questions, questions, and more questions. i've fallen so far behind this block =(

but seeing as how I hardly ever get anything done at home, I'm not expecting anything =\

Same.. I never can bring myself to do any work during breaks.

Would love to review some biochem/micro, but need to tie up loose ends from summer research instead.

Ugh, yeah I need to get a bunch of research related stuff done too 🙁. I was going to work on micro too.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
In on this. Test coming up in 6months. East coast state school.
Same.. I never can bring myself to do any work during breaks.



Ugh, yeah I need to get a bunch of research related stuff done too 🙁. I was going to work on micro too.
I was hoping to have all my research done by Dec. and work on micro and pharm(my weak points so far) during Christmas break. But it looks like I'll be writing 2+ papers....fail
 
I'm in. Starting real prep tomorrow. FA/DIT, BRS phys, & pathoma for the next month (would like to get through all once). Rx for Jan-Feb + review (RR path, FA and CMMRS), and then I'll start UWORLD then. We don't get much dedicated time (~2wks), but hopefully starting 5-6mos ahead should be enough.

Aiming for the sky, 240+, but honestly anything above average would be fine to me.
 
Starting my studying this Sunday, I decided to go ahead and buy cramfighter to help me make a schedule, and I think it was pretty worth it.

30 UWorld questions a day until 12/24 (2 days off), then 60 or so a day until 1/4. Starting 1/4 10 random UWorld in the morning, study with FA/Pathoma during the day, 46 block of Rx at night. That goes till 2/7, then its as many UWorld Q's as I can handle a day ~200, until my exam on 2/23.

Would really like to be upwards of 255, but not sure how this is going to go, I've never studied for a standardized test before :scared:
 
Starting my studying this Sunday, I decided to go ahead and buy cramfighter to help me make a schedule, and I think it was pretty worth it.

30 UWorld questions a day until 12/24 (2 days off), then 60 or so a day until 1/4. Starting 1/4 10 random UWorld in the morning, study with FA/Pathoma during the day, 46 block of Rx at night. That goes till 2/7, then its as many UWorld Q's as I can handle a day ~200, until my exam on 2/23.

Would really like to be upwards of 255, but not sure how this is going to go, I've never studied for a standardized test before :scared:

Good luck!
 
Hi everyone,
On the road again, but it is as dope as ever. Check out my new single and don't forget to smack that like button and subscribe.

We looking at T-157 and counting until D-Day, and we're not talking about Normandy if you know what mean #APBio. 🙂

We go by feel in the Mars household and check out my instagram for the proof. Today, we gotta ask ourselves what are we feeling?

Well, first, I gotta do this Bruno style and throw out my FA2014... don't cry, we just gotta do it. What we are doing instead is going to study off the amazon preview of FA2015. That's right, we ain't messing around here #idtakeagrenadeforyou. But for real, here is the plan for 12/8/2014:

Memorize pages: 59, 60, 62, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70 from FA2015 amazon preview
Watch Pathoma Chapter 9 twice and memorize

Just so you know, when me and the band say we are memorizing, we mean it. It is the only way to get that coveted 277 score, which is what we going to do. Check tomorrow for a new blog post and don't forget about my Q&A session on March 3rd!

Love,
Bruno

^wut?

Anyone using brosencephalons Anki deck by any chance?

Planning to check it out over christmas break. Do you like it?
 
Hi everyone,
On the road again, but it is as dope as ever. Check out my new single and don't forget to smack that like button and subscribe.

We looking at T-157 and counting until D-Day, and we're not talking about Normandy if you know what mean #APBio. 🙂

We go by feel in the Mars household and check out my instagram for the proof. Today, we gotta ask ourselves what are we feeling?

Well, first, I gotta do this Bruno style and throw out my FA2014... don't cry, we just gotta do it. What we are doing instead is going to study off the amazon preview of FA2015. That's right, we ain't messing around here #idtakeagrenadeforyou. But for real, here is the plan for 12/8/2014:

Memorize pages: 59, 60, 62, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70 from FA2015 amazon preview
Watch Pathoma Chapter 9 twice and memorize

Just so you know, when me and the band say we are memorizing, we mean it. It is the only way to get that coveted 277 score, which is what we going to do. Check tomorrow for a new blog post and don't forget about my Q&A session on March 3rd!

Love,
Bruno

wat.gif
 
Hi everyone,
On the road again, but it is as dope as ever. Check out my new single and don't forget to smack that like button and subscribe.

We looking at T-157 and counting until D-Day, and we're not talking about Normandy if you know what mean #APBio. 🙂

We go by feel in the Mars household and check out my instagram for the proof. Today, we gotta ask ourselves what are we feeling?

Well, first, I gotta do this Bruno style and throw out my FA2014... don't cry, we just gotta do it. What we are doing instead is going to study off the amazon preview of FA2015. That's right, we ain't messing around here #idtakeagrenadeforyou. But for real, here is the plan for 12/8/2014:

Memorize pages: 59, 60, 62, 65, 67, 68, 69, 70 from FA2015 amazon preview
Watch Pathoma Chapter 9 twice and memorize

Just so you know, when me and the band say we are memorizing, we mean it. It is the only way to get that coveted 277 score, which is what we going to do. Check tomorrow for a new blog post and don't forget about my Q&A session on March 3rd!

Love,
Bruno

We all know Step studying makes people a bit loony, but that guy is really something else lol. On a side note, I never knew how puny Bruno Mars was until he stood next to Taylor Swift.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Why do people think it's cool to post on fb about how they just started studying for tomorrow's exam tonight?

More on topic, how are you guys handling the "multisystem" questions in kaplanqbank?
 
Last edited:
whew, so glad I don't have to do this anymore
Agreed. At least you're done with 2CK as well. I've got mine in a couple weeks. I've heard for the longest time that 2CK is easier/better than Step 1. I think people must be on crack. The long question 2CK question stems are the most annoying things I've ever encountered. Makes me reminisce about the Step 1 days. Not sure if you have any advice about how to not get ADHD during the 2CK.
 
Anyone get on the boards and beyond train? They were doing a free promo not too long ago. Just watched the first two cardio vids and they're pretty good.

Physio at our school is terrible (basically not taught at all), so I like to get some background before diving straight into BRS.
 
Would be interested in this as well. What's stopping people from purchasing and then uploading it for free?

yeah! I did buy Alec cards and i have to say its nothing special. Just things from uworld mostly. Its like rather than annotating FA u have anki deck of uworld points.
I would still recommend making your own cards, at least thats what i am doing.
Only regret i didn't making any last yr during Anatomy course and thats only area which is really freaking me out. Any suggestions?
 
yeah! I did buy Alec cards and i have to say its nothing special. Just things from uworld mostly. Its like rather than annotating FA u have anki deck of uworld points.
I would still recommend making your own cards, at least thats what i am doing.
Only regret i didn't making any last yr during Anatomy course and thats only area which is really freaking me out. Any suggestions?

For anatomy, I was thinking about trying to get through all the Kaplan anatomy/development videos next semester. I got through most of them last year and thought he was really helpful.

EDIT: development
 
Anyone get on the boards and beyond train? They were doing a free promo not too long ago. Just watched the first two cardio vids and they're pretty good.

Physio at our school is terrible (basically not taught at all), so I like to get some background before diving straight into BRS.

Watched some of the boards and beyond cards vids today too. Not bad. If nothing else, a good way of reviewing while eating lunch or dinner.

EDIT: boards and beyond
 
Saw a commercial for Xeljanz today (generic is Tofacitinib). Hadn't heard of tofacitinib before seeing as it wasn't taught in our class, isn't in FA, and isn't in Katzung (not sure if it's in Lange). What do you guys think about annotating these kinds of drugs? I know it's probably not "high yield", but I'm sure if it's a drug that's being used in practice it is also a drug that's fair game to be in NBME questions.

Tofacitinib is a JAK3 inhibitor used for RA.

yeah! I did buy Alec cards and i have to say its nothing special. Just things from uworld mostly. Its like rather than annotating FA u have anki deck of uworld points.
I would still recommend making your own cards, at least thats what i am doing.
Only regret i didn't making any last yr during Anatomy course and thats only area which is really freaking me out. Any suggestions?

Ah cool, thanks for the info! So we just finished musculoskeletal (MSK) and I was kind of freaking about about all the anatomy I forgot as well. A quick review through the MSK chapter in FA plus kaplan qbank questions were more than enough to refresh my memory (at least of the anatomy relevant to MSK). I wouldn't spend too much time going through anatomy specific resources. Just focus on the clinical anatomy that's in FA and qbanks!

Watched some of the boards and beyond cards vids today too. Not bad. If nothing else, a good way of reviewing while eating lunch or dinner.

EDIT: boards and beyond

I like to watch sketchy micro during lunch/dinner breaks!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Saw a commercial for Xeljanz today (generic is Tofacitinib). Hadn't heard of tofacitinib before seeing as it wasn't taught in our class, isn't in FA, and isn't in Katzung (not sure if it's in Lange). What do you guys think about annotating these kinds of drugs? I know it's probably not "high yield", but I'm sure if it's a drug that's being used in practice it is also a drug that's fair game to be in NBME questions.

Tofacitinib is a JAK3 inhibitor used for RA.

I'm interested to hear what people say about this as well. I'm kind of on the fence since these kinds of drugs seem relatively niche and uncommon compared to the big ones we're all expected to know. My hope would be that if these drugs come up in a question they're either distractors or you'd be able to choose the right one by eliminating other, more common drugs as possible answers. We're just finishing MSK and these are the ones I have open as tabs in my browser before I decide what to do with them: belimumab, tofacitinib, abatacept, tocilizumab.

@Phloston @kirbymiester
 
Saw a commercial for Xeljanz today (generic is Tofacitinib). Hadn't heard of tofacitinib before seeing as it wasn't taught in our class, isn't in FA, and isn't in Katzung (not sure if it's in Lange). What do you guys think about annotating these kinds of drugs? I know it's probably not "high yield", but I'm sure if it's a drug that's being used in practice it is also a drug that's fair game to be in NBME questions.

Tofacitinib is a JAK3 inhibitor used for RA.

I'm gonna worry about that type of info only after I've got everything in FA down/memorized.
 
I'm interested to hear what people say about this as well. I'm kind of on the fence since these kinds of drugs seem relatively niche and uncommon compared to the big ones we're all expected to know. My hope would be that if these drugs come up in a question they're either distractors or you'd be able to choose the right one by eliminating other, more common drugs as possible answers. We're just finishing MSK and these are the ones I have open as tabs in my browser before I decide what to do with them: belimumab, tofacitinib, abatacept, tocilizumab.

@Phloston @kirbymiester

I agree with dextor2003; you can maybe bother cramming these last-minute after poring over the Pharm in FA thoroughly. But even that is less important than other things you can be studying. Even among Pharm minutiae, I found the monoclonal antibodies to be the most esoteric/low-yield. In UWorld, the NBMEs I did, and my real deal, I hardly even found any reference to the important monoclonal antibodies (e.g. omalizumab, denosumab, etc.) compared to other Pharm.
 
I keep seeing the tofacitinib commercials as well, usually followed by one for linaclotide shortly thereafter. Not sure what to do with them either. Maybe keep it simple if we're going to enter them into our FAs: basic MOA, major clinical use(s), major side effects.

Then again there are so many drugs that are not listed in FA so that makes me feel like it's not worth as much as we may think.