Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Don't forget that NRMP data is for allopathic residencies only. You'll have a much better chance at AOA residencies (not that you shouldn't apply to allopathic residencies as well if you want to).

Don't remember if I ever posted here but here is my brief experience. Took my test April 2015 got a 255. I took about 6 practice tests and my score landed between my last two practice tests (~250 about 2 weeks prior and 262 a few days prior).

Practice Tests: More important than the score is the trend (at least until the very end). Saved the newer tests for closer to test day. I don't think you gain anything by taking tons of tests but 4-5 i think is good spaced out over your study time.

Resources: Med School Tutors 3 month study schedule, BRS physio, pathoma, FA, UW x2

Overall: Realize that step 1 is a test about understanding. Remote facts won't reward you much. The test is about making things as complicated and confusing as possible through graphs, wording, tables, etc. As you study focus on the why and how rather than memorizing that stupid basal ganglia movement schematic in FA. Know the basics but don't obsess over the crap. The exception to this is biochem, micro, and pharm. These subjects are much more fact based so do whatever it takes to hammer it all in. I personally had a 3 day rotation that I started about half way into my studying after I had made flash cards and through FA / etc.. My morning 8am-11am was devoted to micro or pharm flash cards, or drawing bchem pathways. So morning session was just reviewing facts. Less is often more. Trying to learn everything will hurt you. Having all the facts swimming in your head won't help you pick out the answer. Being confident in what you know is much better. Part of taking the test for me was ruling out answers. There were so many questions I did not know about things I had not seen or only saw in class. But answer choices were things I knew well so I could often give myself a 50:50.

Regrets: Face your demons early. I hated pharm and procrastinated it. Target your weaknesses ASAP! its hard to improve on your strength but you can bring up your weaknesses much easier.

Test Day: Felt horrible and pissed after. Felt so much harder than practice tests with much less easy / free questions. Was a real challenge to push through praying that the next section would be better which never came. I felt like I knew 80% of practice questions and maybe 1/3 of the real test. Didn't feel like I failed because I knew how well I did on my practice tests and was confident in that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Regrets: Face your demons early. I hated pharm and procrastinated it. Target your weaknesses ASAP! its hard to improve on your strength but you can bring up your weaknesses much easier.
So many people neglect pharm and it's the third most important section on the exam (after physio and and path). It's annoying to memorize, but the questions are easy points once you know the content.

I'm new to SDN so haven't gotten a hang of searching forums and stuff but I was wondering how people felt post step 1?
I got a 242 (3 weeks out) on NBME 13 and a 254 on NBME 15 (1 week out) (74% UWORLD first pass average) but after I took the real thing I felt so ****ty, the adrenaline was overwhelming and nothing I could have prepared for. I felt like I had maybe 5 or 6 gimmes, 5 wtf and the rest were reasoning between 2 or 3 answers on each block. I just didn't feel as confident as I did on the practice exams. Quite honestly felt really horrible leaving and I have now realized I made a couple stupid mistakes. It felt way harder than the NBMEs and UWORLD.... posting here bc not many on 2016 have written the exam yet or received scores
don't worry u will be fine, most of us felt the same way

I'm new to SDN so haven't gotten a hang of searching forums and stuff but I was wondering how people felt post step 1?
I got a 242 (3 weeks out) on NBME 13 and a 254 on NBME 15 (1 week out) (74% UWORLD first pass average) but after I took the real thing I felt so ****ty, the adrenaline was overwhelming and nothing I could have prepared for. I felt like I had maybe 5 or 6 gimmes, 5 wtf and the rest were reasoning between 2 or 3 answers on each block. I just didn't feel as confident as I did on the practice exams. Quite honestly felt really horrible leaving and I have now realized I made a couple stupid mistakes. It felt way harder than the NBMEs and UWORLD.... posting here bc not many on 2016 have written the exam yet or received scores
I took exam on 29th feb, and that's exactly how I felt :(

I know how you feel! Stay strong, you seem to be doing well. You're almost there! :)

Up DATE 2: Re-reading this post in 2016. While prepping for Step 2 CK. I don't think I ever did post how my Step 1 went. Got a 215. Not a great score. But, lesson to be learned, if I can do it, so can you guys!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I don't know if any 3rd students continue to check this thread.

Would you any of you recommend any Step 2 resources to help do better on Step 1?