Official 2015 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KushWeedNuggetsStankyLeg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
M2 here. Starting today, I am just going to be reviewing for Step 1 which I am taking next May, and nothing else. Here is my plan:

Oct 23-Dec 31: Memorize FA2014, Watch all of Pathoma
Jan 1-Jan 31: FA2015, Pathoma (pass 2), Kaplan QBank
Feb 1-Feb 28: FA2015 (pass 2), Pathoma (pass 3), USMLERX
March 1- March 31: FA2015 (pass 3), Pathoma (pass 4): UWorld
April 1- Mid May: FA2015 (pass 4), Pathoma (selective topics), UWorld (pass 2), all practice tests

Goal: High number

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
15/16 were closer to the read deal...u can skip nbme 11...u can combine free 132 with an nbme to get full length practice ....u can also combine uwsa 1 and 2 for a full length ..and any combinations of these...

though to be honest the only thing mimicking the real deal was uworld qbank blocks...that too imperfectly...

Last edited:
15/16 were closer to the read deal...u can skip nbme 11...u can combine free 132 with an nbme to get full length practice ....u can also combine uwsa 1 and 2 for a full length ..and any combinations of these...

though to be honest the only thing mimicking the real deal was uworld qbank blocks...that too imperfectly...
From what I have read, QBank percentages do not truly correlate with final scores on the real deal. Having said that, would you mind sharing what your UWorld QBank percentage was, considering you believe UWorld blocks were closest to the real deal?

From what I have read, QBank percentages do not truly correlate with final scores on the real deal. Having said that, would you mind sharing what your UWorld QBank percentage was, considering you believe UWorld blocks were closest to the real deal?

first time was about 87-88% over all when i finished...this was mostly random timed...i began in mid 70s...last blocks were in early 90s range...

Members don't see this ad :)
first time was about 87-88% over all when i finished...this was mostly random timed...i began in mid 70s...last blocks were in early 90s range...
What do you think caused you to jump from 70s to 90s? Was it the general adjustment to doing UWorld? Or were you doing something else that was enabling you to perfect your weaknesses and fill in the holes of your knowledge base?

it is mainly general adjustment to uw..to an extent it was plugging the holes due to uworld explanations...
Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

Of the following exams, would you be willing to rank, in order, which are the most similar to the real deal?

NBME 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17 (by the way, why didn't you use NBME 17?), UWSA 1, UWSA 2

I'm trying to map out my schedule and would like to do one of these exams per week leading up to my exam. I obviously plan to do the more relevant ones closer to the exam.

Thank you in advance.

Have been reading through this thread and found it very helpful. Thanks so much for all the advice.

Was hoping to ask a quick question about how quickly realistically one can get through FA at the end of dedicated study. Is two weeks the maximum assuming you take 2-3 NBMEs throughout? Thanks so much.

Thank you for your replies, I appreciate it.

Of the following exams, would you be willing to rank, in order, which are the most similar to the real deal?

NBME 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17 (by the way, why didn't you use NBME 17?), UWSA 1, UWSA 2

I'm trying to map out my schedule and would like to do one of these exams per week leading up to my exam. I obviously plan to do the more relevant ones closer to the exam.

Thank you in advance.

if you plan to do all of these , I d say do UWSA 2/ NBME 11,17,12,UWSA1 ,15,13 AND 16 in this order.. This is also the ascending order of priority.(from the least important to most) NBME 17 was least like the real deal. It had huge number of gimmes and some out of the world tough questions. In the real deal most questions will be medium-hard in difficulty with some gimmes and very few WTFs interspersed .

Reactions: 1 user
if you plan to do all of these , I d say do UWSA 2/ NBME 11,17,12,UWSA1 ,15,13 AND 16 in this order.. This is also the ascending order of priority.(from the least important to most) NBME 17 was least like the real deal. It had huge number of gimmes and some out of the world tough questions. In the real deal most questions will be medium-hard in difficulty with some gimmes and very few WTFs interspersed .
Thank you for this. I thought NBME 17 was supposed to be the closest correlation?

everyones "real deal" is a unique and different experience, kinda like the first time you copulate

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys

I took my step 1 on the 8th of December 2015, four Wednesdays have passed and no results. Did any one take the exam around that time and got their results?

Thanks

Hi Adamoza, I read that they don't release scores at the week between Christmas and New Year's so I would recommend you to wait until this Wednesday. If not released, I'd call NBME

Is the Free 132 a PDF with 132 sample MCQs, last updated in March 2015? Just want to make sure what I have is correct.

For those of you who found this useful, how did you time it so that it simulates a "real" NBME?

Hi Adamoza, I read that they don't release scores at the week between Christmas and New Year's so I would recommend you to wait until this Wednesday. If not released, I'd call NBME

Yeah I wrote mine last week and it says on NBME website not to worry or call them until 8 weeks have passed and you still haven't gotten your score, as the release timelines for scores can vary, especially during the holiday season.

Is the Free 132 a PDF with 132 sample MCQs, last updated in March 2015? Just want to make sure what I have is correct.

For those of you who found this useful, how did you time it so that it simulates a "real" NBME?

You should do it online using the software, that is the closest you will ever get to a simulated real exam. It uses exactly the same software as the real exam, with the same timing and question types (although I personally found free 132 questions difficulty to be significantly easier than the real exam)

Hi all - just took my step 1 on june 30. I will say overall the test was along the lines of difficulty of UW questions and the UW self assessments as opposed to NBMEs. It definitely was very important to understand concepts, rather than memorize buzzwords from first aid. Just memorizing FA is useless, you need to understand how to apply the knowledge in an integrative manner. The best tool for learning how to do this is Qbanks.

I personally worked through half of kaplan Qbank and 70% of UW by the time of my test. I also did 4 NBMEs and 1 UWSA. Overall I felt that the NBME questions were either very difficult (a few) or fairly straightforward tests of knowledge (i.e questions you would get right if you had the knowledge), with not too much in between. The real step 1 however tested concepts in much more integrative fashion that required one to use some reasoning skills, while not really caring much about random details (like whether CMV has a helical capsid or not etc...). That being said, there might have been one or two questions I had that were minute details, such as streptomycin + doxy as the treatment for Y.pestis, but apart from that most of it you had to think and reason through. I think the reason why most people struggle on this test is because they memorize the hell out of first aid without really understanding it. They also blast through Qbanks mindlessly without actively engaging with the material and diagnosing their content weaknesses/question stem interpretation difficulties.

The more actively you engage with the Qbanks and the deeper an understanding of the material you have, the better you will do on the test. Simply memorizing wont take you far on test day, and it'll leave you in shambles.

Spend as much time as possible doing questions...use other review resources to help patch up weaknesses uncovered by your Qbank, but don't spend too much time in your dedicated period with the goal of trying to get through FA, pathoma, BRS, DIT etc....that is a waste of time. By focusing on questions, you kill many birds with one stone, since you learn concepts, uncover weaknesses, understand how to apply concepts and understand how to interpret question stems all at once. On the other hand reading FA or watching pathoma, while somewhat helpful, is much less efficient since you aren't doing all of the aforementioned activities simultaneously. Those are my two cents.

Overall I felt that the test was fair. It was definitely challenging but fair. Yes the stems were long and sometimes worded trickily, but the exam tries to push you as much as possible to use your reasoning skills rather than your memorization skills. While it is true that you need to have a strong foundation of knowledge (which is admittedly vast), I think you are better off not worrying as much about memorizing every little detail and focusing your efforts on deep understanding of concepts and striving to organize the information in your mind in a useful way that can help you as a future physician.

Hey all sorry I forgot to update - got 250 on my exam. My lowest Nbme was 210 and my highest was 260 the week before the exam. My uwsa was also 260. Seems like they predicted my score quite well. About 7 months late, but here it is lol

Hey all sorry I forgot to update - got 250 on my exam. My lowest Nbme was 210 and my highest was 260 the week before the exam. My uwsa was also 260. Seems like they predicted my score quite well. About 7 months late, but here it is lol
Nice score! From your original experience post - you really thought there were only 1 or 2 questions that required knowledge of minutiae?

Last edited:
Nice score! From your original experience post - you really thought there were only 1 or 2 questions that required knowledge of minutiae?
Yea I would say that it was not too nit-picky. It is more how well can you integrate concepts. Don't get me wrong - you have to know a lot of stuff to do well, but it isn't as much fact recall as people think. It is more how you apply that knowledge. As I stated, the UW questions are reasonably accurate in depicting the level of difficulty/detail you will encounter on the real Step 1. Expect the real step 1 to feel like you just doing a long UW session....

Hi guys

Tried using the search function but I couldn't find any threads that were too recent about this. Being that the UWorld Self Assessments have changed from a couple of years ago (e.g., blocks are 44 questions like the real Step 1, etc), does anyone know if it still holds true that they overestimate your score prediction by 20+ points?

I took NBME 11 at the end of the semester and got a 226. I've been studying reasonably hard the past two weeks and just took UWSA1 and got a 236. If these are generally decent indicators of my score moving forward with one month out, that's awesome (target score: 240). But if the UWorld SA is really as overinflated as people are saying...that leaves me with possibly as low as a 216 AFTER studying some. I have a month left so if I need to make changes I guess it's not too late but...
Anyone have recent experiences with how close UWorld SA is with actual score? Thanks :)

Hi guys

Tried using the search function but I couldn't find any threads that were too recent about this. Being that the UWorld Self Assessments have changed from a couple of years ago (e.g., blocks are 44 questions like the real Step 1, etc), does anyone know if it still holds true that they overestimate your score prediction by 20+ points?

I took NBME 11 at the end of the semester and got a 226. I've been studying reasonably hard the past two weeks and just took UWSA1 and got a 236. If these are generally decent indicators of my score moving forward with one month out, that's awesome (target score: 240). But if the UWorld SA is really as overinflated as people are saying...that leaves me with possibly as low as a 216 AFTER studying some. I have a month left so if I need to make changes I guess it's not too late but...
Anyone have recent experiences with how close UWorld SA is with actual score? Thanks :)

hey, it really depends many people here have had similar scores in UWSA and step 1. so i think you should take it as an improvement and try to work harder

My UWSA1 and Step 1 score were identical but I took it 2 months prior. It may have been over-inflated but the 2 months of studying made up for it.

Did anyone use the Kaplan Simulated Exams and feel they were worth taking? I'm prioritizing NBMEs and UWSAs but I'm wondering if I should even bother spending 2 days on these Kaplan exams. Any advice would be appreciated, I have plenty of time so that's not the issue.

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone used private tutoring at all and if they have any recommendations? It's a lot of money to invest so I want to pick the right company to work with. I am set on doing private tutoring, I just want to know your experiences! I would appreciate it if I didn't get bombarded with advertisements from companies, I just want some thoughts from students. Thanks!

Hi Guys,

I used this website a lot so decided that I should wrote down my experience. I got my result today 261, I took my exam on Dec 15th, 2015.

Resources that I used,

-Kaplan Lecture Notes except Pathology. I read them once while watching the videos early my prep. I found it ok, not extremely useful but recommend it to generate a background knowledge. Definitely suggest supplementing Gross Anatomy ( only this) with somewhere else cause I believe their gross anatomy was pretty insufficient.

-I read Goljan RR again early my prep, at first I thought that it was a good book to read but then I realized that it is very low yield and you don't retain much of the info after all. I didn't solve a single question thanks to it, plus in my belief harder questions are not coming from obscure pathologies but more from atypical presentations in the real exam so I don't recommend this book. I think this book was one of the mistakes that I made while I was preparing the exam. I read 4-5 chapters from Pathoma at my late preperation, I liked it and find it very useful and regret once more that I read Goljan instead of this. It would have been much faster and I would have retained much more info than I did with Goljan.

-After finishing above mentioned resources I go through First Aid once and then did Kaplan QBank. I recommend Kaplan QBank if you have time to do it. It is obviously not a UWorld but gives you a solid background. I finished Kaplan QBank around July. I read every single explanation. I was %82 correct, random, timed mode. Especially their biostatistics questions are nice. I highly recommend annotating from QBank to First Aid.

-After finishing Kaplan QBank went through First Aid one more time and then took my first NBME 17( again one more mistake, I should have spared this last but you never realize when are you going to take the exam.) I got 266 in NBME.

-After this I made my biggest mistake and started USMLE-Rx, thinking that It will give me more disease presentation and help solidify my First Aid background( I thought it is better to do a QBank rather than plainly reading but I was extremely wrong). Also, I read that more question simply translate to better score ( which is quite wrong as well). I think people who are aiming for 260+ should skip this QBank as this is very badly structured QBank. I could have learned much more by just reading First Aid, as the information that I didn't memorized was not tested in Qbank but it was written on First Aid ( I could have reversed 4 easy mistakes just by reading First Aid). It took me around 2 month to finish this, as I start working again. At first I was reading the explanations, but then I decided to skip them as questions were pretty easy and explanations were not that great. Overall around %90, random, first-timed. Overall I DO NOT recommend this Qbank for high aimers.

-After this I took my second NBME, NBME 15. I scored 262 on this, and again realized that how bad a decision was to do USMLE-Rx as my points dropped.

-Later I started doing UWorld. I don't think I have to write about how great UWorld is as It has been written in many threads thousand times. It is absolutely the best thing to do, and a definite must for Step 1 exam. I started around %87 correct (97 percentile) and finished at %89 (98 percentile). At midway, I realized that I reached the plateau and can't get any further and decided to schedule my exam. Before doing so at midway I took NBME 16, which I got 264. Thinking that I was doing fine, I scheduled my exam at mid-december. Finished UWorld 3 weeks before my exam and go through First Aid last time for 2 weeks.

- I dedicated my last week for only self-assesment test to increase my stamina. I started by doing UWSA-1, which I scored > 265( %92 correct), next day I did UWSA-2, again > 265(%89 correct). My last weekend, I tried to simulate the real exam length by combining 2 NBMEs and 1NBME plus free 132. Last weekend saturday, I did NBME 11 ( 269) and NBME12(266). Last Sunday, I did NBME 13(266) and free 132( %92 correct).

-Last night I did go over the last pages of First Aid and somethings that I had hard time to remember( developmental milestones for example) and slept around 12.00 without any problem. I woke up briefly around 5.30 but go back to sleep and woke up again around 8 a.m. I take a shower and go to exam center around 30 minutes early.

-Exam experience: I didn't have any wtf? questions, as all my hard questions could be solved by educated guess but apparently I didn't make the good calls in the exam. Ethics questions was definitely hard and I had a good amount of them. I had some hard time in diagnosing diseases in a couple of questions which was an issue that has never happened me before in any other self assesment test. After the test I realized that I had bunch of stupid mistakes around 5 that was very simple and there was 10 questions that I think I was wrong %80 which adds up to 15 by the time I finished checking the questions that I recalled. At that moment I knew that I was kind of screwed and might not be able to reach my NBME average. I freaked out and went through SDN threads to read nearly every step 1 experience of last 4 years to find cases like me. Today, I got the results, as Phloston said in his experience sheet, I felt exactly the same I think the exam was a draw for me as I was expecting to break 265, but I ended up below my NBME averages.

Note regarding score release, if you took the exam starting from 7th December till 21st December, your results will be anounced at 4th or 5th Wednesday(1 week later than usual), unlike 3rd or 4th Wednesday that everyone talks about. That's because they don't release scores the week after Christmas, but this doesn't affect the scores that are released only for that week, it delays all other scores as well.

For those guys who are interested in numbers, I summed up my NBME/UWSA scores and QBank percentiles;

-Kaplan QBank (%82) random, first time ( 5 months before)
-Usmle-Rx(%90) random,first time( 3 months before) --> DO NOT DO THIS Q BANK
-UWorld (%89, 98th percentile) random, first time

-NBME17 -- 266 ( 4months prior)
-NBME15-- 262 ( 1.5 month prior)
-NBME16 -- 264 (1 month prior)
-NBME11 -- 269 ( 3 days prior) -- very easy and straight forward questions unlike real exam so I don't recommend doing any NBMEs before NBME12
-NBME12- 266(offline, 3 days prior)
-NBME13 - 266(2 day prior)
-UWSA1- 265+ (%92 correct, 5 day prior)
-UWSA2- 265+ (%89 correct, 4 day prior)
-Free 132- %92 ( 2 day prior)
Congratulations on a great score! If you don't mind my asking, what made you choose to do NBMEs 15/16/17 before 11/12/13?

Hi Guys,

I used this website a lot so decided that I should wrote down my experience. I got my result today 261, I took my exam on Dec 15th, 2015.

Resources that I used,

-Kaplan Lecture Notes except Pathology. I read them once while watching the videos early my prep. I found it ok, not extremely useful but recommend it to generate a background knowledge. Definitely suggest supplementing Gross Anatomy ( only this) with somewhere else cause I believe their gross anatomy was pretty insufficient.

-I read Goljan RR again early my prep, at first I thought that it was a good book to read but then I realized that it is very low yield and you don't retain much of the info after all. I didn't solve a single question thanks to it, plus in my belief harder questions are not coming from obscure pathologies but more from atypical presentations in the real exam so I don't recommend this book. I think this book was one of the mistakes that I made while I was preparing the exam. I read 4-5 chapters from Pathoma at my late preperation, I liked it and find it very useful and regret once more that I read Goljan instead of this. It would have been much faster and I would have retained much more info than I did with Goljan.

-After finishing above mentioned resources I go through First Aid once and then did Kaplan QBank. I recommend Kaplan QBank if you have time to do it. It is obviously not a UWorld but gives you a solid background. I finished Kaplan QBank around July. I read every single explanation. I was %82 correct, random, timed mode. Especially their biostatistics questions are nice. I highly recommend annotating from QBank to First Aid.

-After finishing Kaplan QBank went through First Aid one more time and then took my first NBME 17( again one more mistake, I should have spared this last but you never realize when are you going to take the exam.) I got 266 in NBME.

-After this I made my biggest mistake and started USMLE-Rx, thinking that It will give me more disease presentation and help solidify my First Aid background( I thought it is better to do a QBank rather than plainly reading but I was extremely wrong). Also, I read that more question simply translate to better score ( which is quite wrong as well). I think people who are aiming for 260+ should skip this QBank as this is very badly structured QBank. I could have learned much more by just reading First Aid, as the information that I didn't memorized was not tested in Qbank but it was written on First Aid ( I could have reversed 4 easy mistakes just by reading First Aid). It took me around 2 month to finish this, as I start working again. At first I was reading the explanations, but then I decided to skip them as questions were pretty easy and explanations were not that great. Overall around %90, random, first-timed. Overall I DO NOT recommend this Qbank for high aimers.

-After this I took my second NBME, NBME 15. I scored 262 on this, and again realized that how bad a decision was to do USMLE-Rx as my points dropped.

-Later I started doing UWorld. I don't think I have to write about how great UWorld is as It has been written in many threads thousand times. It is absolutely the best thing to do, and a definite must for Step 1 exam. I started around %87 correct (97 percentile) and finished at %89 (98 percentile). At midway, I realized that I reached the plateau and can't get any further and decided to schedule my exam. Before doing so at midway I took NBME 16, which I got 264. Thinking that I was doing fine, I scheduled my exam at mid-december. Finished UWorld 3 weeks before my exam and go through First Aid last time for 2 weeks.

- I dedicated my last week for only self-assesment test to increase my stamina. I started by doing UWSA-1, which I scored > 265( %92 correct), next day I did UWSA-2, again > 265(%89 correct). My last weekend, I tried to simulate the real exam length by combining 2 NBMEs and 1NBME plus free 132. Last weekend saturday, I did NBME 11 ( 269) and NBME12(266). Last Sunday, I did NBME 13(266) and free 132( %92 correct).

-Last night I did go over the last pages of First Aid and somethings that I had hard time to remember( developmental milestones for example) and slept around 12.00 without any problem. I woke up briefly around 5.30 but go back to sleep and woke up again around 8 a.m. I take a shower and go to exam center around 30 minutes early.

-Exam experience: I didn't have any wtf? questions, as all my hard questions could be solved by educated guess but apparently I didn't make the good calls in the exam. Ethics questions was definitely hard and I had a good amount of them. I had some hard time in diagnosing diseases in a couple of questions which was an issue that has never happened me before in any other self assesment test. After the test I realized that I had bunch of stupid mistakes around 5 that was very simple and there was 10 questions that I think I was wrong %80 which adds up to 15 by the time I finished checking the questions that I recalled. At that moment I knew that I was kind of screwed and might not be able to reach my NBME average. I freaked out and went through SDN threads to read nearly every step 1 experience of last 4 years to find cases like me. Today, I got the results, as Phloston said in his experience sheet, I felt exactly the same I think the exam was a draw for me as I was expecting to break 265, but I ended up below my NBME averages.

Note regarding score release, if you took the exam starting from 7th December till 21st December, your results will be anounced at 4th or 5th Wednesday(1 week later than usual), unlike 3rd or 4th Wednesday that everyone talks about. That's because they don't release scores the week after Christmas, but this doesn't affect the scores that are released only for that week, it delays all other scores as well.

For those guys who are interested in numbers, I summed up my NBME/UWSA scores and QBank percentiles;

-NBME11 -- 269 ( 3 days prior) -- very easy and straight forward questions unlike real exam so I don't recommend doing any NBMEs before NBME12
Congrats on a great score and thanks for the post! How would you suggest we prepare for the type of atypical presentations of diseases that you saw on your test or what would you do differently yourself?

Hi Guys,

Resources that I used,

Congrats on your wonderful score and thanks for sharing your prep methods with us. I have to say that I was quite shocked that you said that RR Goljan didn't help at all. Being someone getting ready to take the exam in a few months, I believed that RR was a solid book to cover before dedicated and actually was useful. I guess, I would like to see your opinion on how you would prep for pathology if you had another chance to take it again. Would you just do Pathoma from the start? Or a bit of both? Because I've been using both with classes and will use Pathoma for dedicated but I just wanted your opinion since you've taken the most recent exam.

Thanks and congrats on your score again!

Congrats on your wonderful score and thanks for sharing your prep methods with us. I have to say that I was quite shocked that you said that RR Goljan didn't help at all. Being someone getting ready to take the exam in a few months, I believed that RR was a solid book to cover before dedicated and actually was useful. I guess, I would like to see your opinion on how you would prep for pathology if you had another chance to take it again. Would you just do Pathoma from the start? Or a bit of both? Because I've been using both with classes and will use Pathoma for dedicated but I just wanted your opinion since you've taken the most recent exam.

Thanks and congrats on your score again!

Hi, I think I have to make myself clear on this. If you have opportunity to read Goljan over and over, I think it is a very helpful resource, but if you have limited to cover that I would definitely go for Pathoma. So if you are doing it along with classes and have chances to go over, go for Goljan RR. If not I would go only for Pathoma. What I was saying that In my case, it didn't work for me but in overall I think it is definitely helpful.

Osteopathic student here. Just got my score back... 213. I am really disappointed, because I fell short of my goal, on both exams. Comlex was a 440. I see this question on here quite a bit, but I cannot seem to find the right answer anywhere, but where do I stand in terms of residency? If I were to look on recent match data (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf), my score would give me about a 0.9 probability of matching into anesthesia for example. Is that accurate? Because that seems too good to be true. Regardless, I would greatly appreciate all input.

Osteopathic student here. Just got my score back... 213. I am really disappointed, because I fell short of my goal, on both exams. Comlex was a 440. I see this question on here quite a bit, but I cannot seem to find the right answer anywhere, but where do I stand in terms of residency? If I were to look on recent match data (http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Charting-Outcomes-2014-Final.pdf), my score would give me about a 0.9 probability of matching into anesthesia for example. Is that accurate? Because that seems too good to be true. Regardless, I would greatly appreciate all input.
what was your study length and plan?

No, it is not accurate. The data you are looking at is for US seniors, which does not include osteopathic students. Independent applicants with your score have a 50-60 % chance of matching according to the match data. However, this is only for applicants who submitted a rank list, so in reality the chances are lower.