You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Step II Official 2017 Comlex Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread
Started by Mdincorporated
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Glad to have one score back.
Level 1: 639
COMSAE D (2ish weeks out): 733
Level 2: 739
Hooray! USMLE gods please be so kind. Test day was special to say the least. I took Step 2 July 24 and COMLEX July 26 so I definitely didn't spend tons of time on OMM review or COMLEX-specific learning. Not to mention I was pretty over testing by the end of it. Compared to the USMLE which left me feeling demoralized but like I was given a fair test, walking out of level 2 I was just pissed that this is the exam required for DOs. So much pointless ethics and law that doesn't apply to us at this level of training (or ever) while the actual medicine questions can sometimes be laughable (though some are certainly challenging.) Also the scope of what is tested was pretty pitiful. I shouldn't have 3 questions on EMTALA and one on diabetes.
Level 1: 639
COMSAE D (2ish weeks out): 733
Level 2: 739
Hooray! USMLE gods please be so kind. Test day was special to say the least. I took Step 2 July 24 and COMLEX July 26 so I definitely didn't spend tons of time on OMM review or COMLEX-specific learning. Not to mention I was pretty over testing by the end of it. Compared to the USMLE which left me feeling demoralized but like I was given a fair test, walking out of level 2 I was just pissed that this is the exam required for DOs. So much pointless ethics and law that doesn't apply to us at this level of training (or ever) while the actual medicine questions can sometimes be laughable (though some are certainly challenging.) Also the scope of what is tested was pretty pitiful. I shouldn't have 3 questions on EMTALA and one on diabetes.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congrats to those who got scores back today!
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Level 1 650s
Level 2 CE 730s
One of my best friends got an 849. Like, what? He's my hero.
So happy I don't have to take another NBOME test for awhile. I left snarky comments on so many questions, especially the images. Now just to wait for CK and PE. And also start that whole ERAS thing at some point...
Level 2 CE 730s
One of my best friends got an 849. Like, what? He's my hero.
So happy I don't have to take another NBOME test for awhile. I left snarky comments on so many questions, especially the images. Now just to wait for CK and PE. And also start that whole ERAS thing at some point...
Level 1 610
Level 2 758
Used UW through 3rd year, finished the ~500Q I had left during dedicated and then just worked on my weak areas. Did Combank and Comquest during 3rd year as well. Regret not giving enough time to finish UW a second time all the way through (had like 50ish% left). I think having a solid knowledge foundation and 3rd year studying + UW is a must. Walking out I felt better than how I felt walking away from step 2.
Level 2 758
Used UW through 3rd year, finished the ~500Q I had left during dedicated and then just worked on my weak areas. Did Combank and Comquest during 3rd year as well. Regret not giving enough time to finish UW a second time all the way through (had like 50ish% left). I think having a solid knowledge foundation and 3rd year studying + UW is a must. Walking out I felt better than how I felt walking away from step 2.
What did you get on Step2?Level 1 610
Level 2 758
Used UW through 3rd year, finished the ~500Q I had left during dedicated and then just worked on my weak areas. Did Combank and Comquest during 3rd year as well. Regret not giving enough time to finish UW a second time all the way through (had like 50ish% left). I think having a solid knowledge foundation and 3rd year studying + UW is a must. Walking out I felt better than how I felt walking away from step 2.
What did you get on Step2?
Still waiting :/ took it 7/20
I'm waiting too. If you don't mind sharing, how did you do on UWSA's? I endured a significant drop from level1 to level2, and now I'm worried the same thing would happen on CK.Still waiting :/ took it 7/20
Congrats on the awesome scores, btw.
I agree with you. If it wasn't for the fact I'm considering rads, I wouldn't have taken it either. Good luck on PEI'm not touching Step 2, I just don't see a huge benefit in it with my career interests, given that I've already got a Step 1. Just going to focus on passing the PE.
Oh damn, rads? I feel like that jumped out of nowhere, I thought you were a psychiatry/FM sort of guy. Good luck to you as well!I agree with you. If it wasn't for the fact I'm considering rads, I wouldn't have taken it either. Good luck on PE
Level 1 - 483
Level 2 - 683
Mainly wanted to post for those who did less stellar on level 1 for inspiration that you can do well on level 2. Part of many things that went wrong for me on Level 1 I most attribute to is mild/mod panic attack & unprepared for amount of questions/length of exam.
I had aspirations of taking Step 1 so I basically restudied with that intent throughout the year from Jan-May-ish. I think that absolutely helped when Step 2 studying came around.
Started in May-July with UWORLD first, then did all of COMBANK. I made a document with all the uworld main points and charts/figures as I went. Reviewed it once before exam. Took COMBANK questions for OMM practice. Did not study explanation from COMBANK. There were questions on Level 2 that I got correct solely because of COMBANK but UWORLD, as has been said, is far superior.
Summary, used UWORLD and COMBANK. Minimal use of outside texts. Only took COMSAE D (school mandated, 2+ months before real deal; scored ~500).
Good luck to all others.
Level 2 - 683
Mainly wanted to post for those who did less stellar on level 1 for inspiration that you can do well on level 2. Part of many things that went wrong for me on Level 1 I most attribute to is mild/mod panic attack & unprepared for amount of questions/length of exam.
I had aspirations of taking Step 1 so I basically restudied with that intent throughout the year from Jan-May-ish. I think that absolutely helped when Step 2 studying came around.
Started in May-July with UWORLD first, then did all of COMBANK. I made a document with all the uworld main points and charts/figures as I went. Reviewed it once before exam. Took COMBANK questions for OMM practice. Did not study explanation from COMBANK. There were questions on Level 2 that I got correct solely because of COMBANK but UWORLD, as has been said, is far superior.
Summary, used UWORLD and COMBANK. Minimal use of outside texts. Only took COMSAE D (school mandated, 2+ months before real deal; scored ~500).
Good luck to all others.
I was (and still) considering neurology. However I also enjoy radiology. I have less than a month to make up my mind.Oh damn, rads? I feel like that jumped out of nowhere, I thought you were a psychiatry/FM sort of guy. Good luck to you as well!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm waiting too. If you don't mind sharing, how did you do on UWSA's? I endured a significant drop from level1 to level2, and now I'm worried the same thing would happen on CK.
Congrats on the awesome scores, btw.
Aw man that's unfortunate! I think I saw you say you got in the 570s which is still above average (an achievement none the less on that ****ty test) which is still good. Just keep swimming🙂
I took NBME 7 before studying got 247 but apparently those don't really correlate.
UWSA1 I got 258- 2 weeks out. After doing so ****ty on the comsae I was too scared to take the second UW and have it crush my confidence further, so I just assumed I improved from that score over those 2 weeks to make myself feel better. I did take the free 120 like 3 days before and got 88%.
Level 1 - 483
Level 2 - 683
Mainly wanted to post for those who did less stellar on level 1 for inspiration that you can do well on level 2. Part of many things that went wrong for me on Level 1 I most attribute to is mild/mod panic attack & unprepared for amount of questions/length of exam.
I had aspirations of taking Step 1 so I basically restudied with that intent throughout the year from Jan-May-ish. I think that absolutely helped when Step 2 studying came around.
Started in May-July with UWORLD first, then did all of COMBANK. I made a document with all the uworld main points and charts/figures as I went. Reviewed it once before exam. Took COMBANK questions for OMM practice. Did not study explanation from COMBANK. There were questions on Level 2 that I got correct solely because of COMBANK but UWORLD, as has been said, is far superior.
Summary, used UWORLD and COMBANK. Minimal use of outside texts. Only took COMSAE D (school mandated, 2+ months before real deal; scored ~500).
Good luck to all others.
Wow, way to go! I think a 200 point jump is the most Ive seen on SDN, congrats!
Anyone notice anything weird with the Performance profile on the bottom of the score report. What I mean is my CE one looks much better with everything pretty much on the right with a couple touching borderline and my level one had a few on the left mainly and overall looks worse but my percentile went down for CE from level 1. I know it's not intended to interpretate like that but you would assume having everything on the right would mean a higher score, especially since my CE score was just average, the graph and the score don't seem to go together.
I got in that range too. What was your step2?
basically average
Although I did better than average on UWSA's, after the horrible experience I had, I'd be thrilled if I score average on CK.basically average
Level 1-524
Level 2-545
Disappointed in Level 2. I started prep around March/April. Finished Kaplan during the year because the school required it. Finished COMBANK and UWorld. Read FA, MTB, and Savarese. I feel like I didn't get out what I put in. It's a pass either way, though. Now on to the PE next month!
Level 2-545
Disappointed in Level 2. I started prep around March/April. Finished Kaplan during the year because the school required it. Finished COMBANK and UWorld. Read FA, MTB, and Savarese. I feel like I didn't get out what I put in. It's a pass either way, though. Now on to the PE next month!
Do you have a link to where I can get this or download it?Brosencephalon Step 2 deck exclusively
Now relax and wait for match day... Well done!Level 1 - 586
Level 2 - 604
Choosing to tentatively take this as a good sign for Step 2.
Congrats everybody for being done!
did you pass?Just got my email for score released.
Level 1: 465
Level 2: 655
Applying allo and osteo FM. I hope the improvement keeps some doors open.
Level 1 I used DIT for the 6 weeks after getting a 500 on my school COMSAE, got through DIT entirely then did savarese a few days. Some com bank but not religious use of any question banks. Took a COMASE 2 weeks out and got a 450. Destroyed my confidence and was very anxious going in to Level 1. DIT I feel like did not help me much at all, and my Level 1 had an awful lot of management questions.
Level 2 I used solely UWorld, first in tutor, then in timed tutor. Took notes on the information I was not familiar with. Avoided DIT like the plague this time around. 3 Days before, I read through Step 2 Secrets, and the day before I skimmed over Savarese. Level 2 seemed to have much more, "what is the diagnosis" type questions and fewer management. I still felt terrible leaving both Level 1 and 2.
I think the biggest reason for my improvement was much calmer nerves this time around, and changing my test taking strategy. In Level 1 I read the questions top to bottom. For Level 2, I focused first on the question, usually the last sentence. I then read the answer choices, and lastly the entire introduction. This helped me to be able to focus on certain pieces of information in the question stem as they appeared. I think reading the entire intro first would let my attention span drop and I would miss certain parts of the question. This may be common knowledge for taking board exams but it was new to me and something an attending mentioned in my third year. *EDIT* and of course, getting the UWorld subscription. All of these helped me tremendously this time around.
Level 2: 655
Applying allo and osteo FM. I hope the improvement keeps some doors open.
Level 1 I used DIT for the 6 weeks after getting a 500 on my school COMSAE, got through DIT entirely then did savarese a few days. Some com bank but not religious use of any question banks. Took a COMASE 2 weeks out and got a 450. Destroyed my confidence and was very anxious going in to Level 1. DIT I feel like did not help me much at all, and my Level 1 had an awful lot of management questions.
Level 2 I used solely UWorld, first in tutor, then in timed tutor. Took notes on the information I was not familiar with. Avoided DIT like the plague this time around. 3 Days before, I read through Step 2 Secrets, and the day before I skimmed over Savarese. Level 2 seemed to have much more, "what is the diagnosis" type questions and fewer management. I still felt terrible leaving both Level 1 and 2.
I think the biggest reason for my improvement was much calmer nerves this time around, and changing my test taking strategy. In Level 1 I read the questions top to bottom. For Level 2, I focused first on the question, usually the last sentence. I then read the answer choices, and lastly the entire introduction. This helped me to be able to focus on certain pieces of information in the question stem as they appeared. I think reading the entire intro first would let my attention span drop and I would miss certain parts of the question. This may be common knowledge for taking board exams but it was new to me and something an attending mentioned in my third year. *EDIT* and of course, getting the UWorld subscription. All of these helped me tremendously this time around.
Last edited:
Level 1: 465
Level 2: 655
Applying allo and osteo FM. I hope the improvement keeps some doors open.
Level 1 I used DIT for the 6 weeks after getting a 500 on my school COMSAE, got through DIT entirely then did savarese a few days. Some com bank but not religious use of any question banks. Took a COMASE 2 weeks out and got a 450. Destroyed my confidence and was very anxious going in to Level 1. DIT I feel like did not help me much at all, and my Level 1 had an awful lot of management questions.
Level 2 I used solely UWorld, first in tutor, then in timed tutor. Took notes on the information I was not familiar with. Avoided DIT like the plague this time around. 3 Days before, I read through Step 2 Secrets, and the day before I skimmed over Savarese. Level 2 seemed to have much more, "what is the diagnosis" type questions and fewer management. I still felt terrible leaving both Level 1 and 2.
I think the biggest reason for my improvement was much calmer nerves this time around, and changing my test taking strategy. In Level 1 I read the questions top to bottom. For Level 2, I focused first on the question, usually the last sentence. I then read the answer choices, and lastly the entire introduction. This helped me to be able to focus on certain pieces of information in the question stem as they appeared. I think reading the entire intro first would let my attention span drop and I would miss certain parts of the question. This may be common knowledge for taking board exams but it was new to me and something an attending mentioned in my third year. *EDIT* and of course, getting the UWorld subscription. All of these helped me tremendously this time around.
I think you're sitting pretty for FM. I don't even think your level one is that bad for FM but obviously the level two more than makes up for it.
Level 1 516
Level 2 580
Comsae form D about a month before was 468
Finished DIT about 2 weeks before the exam, took about 3-4 weeks to get through it all.
Did OME for peds a month before that as it was my last rotation.
Used picmonic to review all the topics I didn't remember very after level 1.
About 2/3 of uworld, maybe 1/3 of combank. read through the green book in a couple days before the exam.
Was aiming for a 600 for level 2, but I'm still relatively satisfied with my improvement over level 1. I know it's nowhere near what most of you have done, but it was a much more thorough prep for me this time around, and I still could have done much more.
I think the main difference was finding the right sleep and medication schedule for studying. For level 1 I was only getting about 6 hours of sleep, and was taking a 36 mg extended release ritalin, which was way too much for me. It just made me drowsy and unable to focus. This time around, I got much more sleep, and took 10 mg of ritalin per day at most. I could actually focus and study, and the results showed. I only wished I had done more earlier in the year, and I could have been much more focused for the first part of my dedicated study time.
Overall happy with the result, but I know there's more potential in me. Just hope the programs can see it, too
Level 2 580
Comsae form D about a month before was 468
Finished DIT about 2 weeks before the exam, took about 3-4 weeks to get through it all.
Did OME for peds a month before that as it was my last rotation.
Used picmonic to review all the topics I didn't remember very after level 1.
About 2/3 of uworld, maybe 1/3 of combank. read through the green book in a couple days before the exam.
Was aiming for a 600 for level 2, but I'm still relatively satisfied with my improvement over level 1. I know it's nowhere near what most of you have done, but it was a much more thorough prep for me this time around, and I still could have done much more.
I think the main difference was finding the right sleep and medication schedule for studying. For level 1 I was only getting about 6 hours of sleep, and was taking a 36 mg extended release ritalin, which was way too much for me. It just made me drowsy and unable to focus. This time around, I got much more sleep, and took 10 mg of ritalin per day at most. I could actually focus and study, and the results showed. I only wished I had done more earlier in the year, and I could have been much more focused for the first part of my dedicated study time.
Overall happy with the result, but I know there's more potential in me. Just hope the programs can see it, too
Level 1: 590s
Level 2: 750s
Step 1: 240s
Step 2 CK: still waiting!
COMSAE Form B: 625 as a baseline on 6/4
COMSAE Form D: 712 on 6/23
UWSA1: 265
UWSA2: 249
I'm going for allopathic neurology so I hope my Step 2 CK score is solid! That exam was rough.
I used UWorld and First Aid with some COMBANK for OMM and Ethics. I also went through the UWorld Biostats review the day before the exam and I don't think I missed any of those questions.
I'm really happy with everything so far! Now it's just a waiting game for those CK and PE scores.
Level 2: 750s
Step 1: 240s
Step 2 CK: still waiting!
COMSAE Form B: 625 as a baseline on 6/4
COMSAE Form D: 712 on 6/23
UWSA1: 265
UWSA2: 249
I'm going for allopathic neurology so I hope my Step 2 CK score is solid! That exam was rough.
I used UWorld and First Aid with some COMBANK for OMM and Ethics. I also went through the UWorld Biostats review the day before the exam and I don't think I missed any of those questions.
I'm really happy with everything so far! Now it's just a waiting game for those CK and PE scores.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Level 1: 465
Level 2: 655
Applying allo and osteo FM. I hope the improvement keeps some doors open.
Level 1 I used DIT for the 6 weeks after getting a 500 on my school COMSAE, got through DIT entirely then did savarese a few days. Some com bank but not religious use of any question banks. Took a COMASE 2 weeks out and got a 450. Destroyed my confidence and was very anxious going in to Level 1. DIT I feel like did not help me much at all, and my Level 1 had an awful lot of management questions.
Level 2 I used solely UWorld, first in tutor, then in timed tutor. Took notes on the information I was not familiar with. Avoided DIT like the plague this time around. 3 Days before, I read through Step 2 Secrets, and the day before I skimmed over Savarese. Level 2 seemed to have much more, "what is the diagnosis" type questions and fewer management. I still felt terrible leaving both Level 1 and 2.
I think the biggest reason for my improvement was much calmer nerves this time around, and changing my test taking strategy. In Level 1 I read the questions top to bottom. For Level 2, I focused first on the question, usually the last sentence. I then read the answer choices, and lastly the entire introduction. This helped me to be able to focus on certain pieces of information in the question stem as they appeared. I think reading the entire intro first would let my attention span drop and I would miss certain parts of the question. This may be common knowledge for taking board exams but it was new to me and something an attending mentioned in my third year. *EDIT* and of course, getting the UWorld subscription. All of these helped me tremendously this time around.
All I have to say is "Amen" about DIT on level 1. It is truly not for everyone and can be a huge waste of time. really happy you had such a great turn around! Uworld questions all day!
While I'm completely happy with my score, I dropped 30+ points on COMLEX level 2. I needed to gain 30+ points to maintain the same percentile. Going through this thread, I noticed a general trend that most people who improved on level 2 did UWorld throughout the year. I did UWorld, but just during dedicated. I was very lazy during 3rd year, but I can't really say I regret it. So it appears that just doing UWorld throughout the year could be the way to improve on step 2.
Now I'm just waiting for my Step 2 CK score, which I'm nervous about but nowhere near as nervous as I am for my Level 2 PE results.
Now I'm just waiting for my Step 2 CK score, which I'm nervous about but nowhere near as nervous as I am for my Level 2 PE results.
Current third year now. For those of you that used OME and SUTM, did you make your own notes for OME, or did you read a particular topic in SUTM first and then watched the corresponding OME video and annotated the book? I'm trying to be efficient, would very much appreciate someones help 🙂 thanks.
Level 1: 558
step 1: 230
Level 2: 686
step 2: ? still anxiously waiting
Throughout the year I did the comquest Comat banks and during dedicated I used Uworld and skimmed the green book.
Applying AOA and ACGME FM. I am very nervous for my Step 2 score
step 1: 230
Level 2: 686
step 2: ? still anxiously waiting
Throughout the year I did the comquest Comat banks and during dedicated I used Uworld and skimmed the green book.
Applying AOA and ACGME FM. I am very nervous for my Step 2 score
Since you haven't gotten a response yet I figured I'd through out my opinion. If you aren't going to buy the OME notes it seems reasonable to use SUTM as a pre read for OME. I personally took notes in the OME quicktables and found that to be a great use of my time, as it can go in your whitecoat pocket for review on the wards/in clinic. Afterwards, make sure to do some questions to reinforce what you learned. The OME ones are tailored for their topics, but UW, usmle-rx or Kaplan would all probably work for that. Don't be afraid to vary up what you do for the first rotation or two. If pre reading isn't helping, skip it or try a different resource. I actually think first aid for step 2 pairs very well with OME so it might be a better pre read than SUTM.Current third year now. For those of you that used OME and SUTM, did you make your own notes for OME, or did you read a particular topic in SUTM first and then watched the corresponding OME video and annotated the book? I'm trying to be efficient, would very much appreciate someones help 🙂 thanks.
Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Clutch Advise! Will definitely do that.Afterwards, make sure to do some questions to reinforce what you learned
Thanks overall for your advice 🙂
Took my exam today....first half was VERY manageable....my faith in the COMLEX was beginning to recovered....only to be blasted away by the second half. Womp womp...
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
Have you taken CK?Took my exam today....first half was VERY manageable....my faith in the COMLEX was beginning to recovered....only to be blasted away by the second half. Womp womp...
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
Not yet. I take it on Monday. My 4 days of dedicated study will hopefully be enough.Have you taken CK?
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
If I'm only going to take 1 COMSAE before test day, which one should I do?
Last edited:
If I'm only going to take 1 COMSAE before test day, which one should I do?
n=1 but COMSAE C was very predictive for me. I don't have much historical faith in COMSAEs, but that one is the newest.
Probably a silly question, but are COMATs in any way predictive of comlex 2? Sitting for for exam in just a few days and let's just say nerves are setting in. At this point just aiming for pass! Scored between 90-100 standard score on COMATs.. slightly below average or right at average. Trying to boost confidence here!
Probably a silly question, but are COMATs in any way predictive of comlex 2? Sitting for for exam in just a few days and let's just say nerves are setting in. At this point just aiming for pass! Scored between 90-100 standard score on COMATs.. slightly below average or right at average. Trying to boost confidence here!
There is a study correlating the 2 with IM having the strongest correlation: Relationships Between the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Achievement Test (COMAT) Subject Examinations and the COMLEX-USA Level 2-Cognitive Evaluation | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.
Took the test yesterday, OMM/Peds/OB-GYN/Ethics were the big topics on my test. My advice would be to get used to doing questions fast, questions overall were a bit longer than combank/comquest and more videos.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
There is a study correlating the 2 with IM having the strongest correlation: Relationships Between the Comprehensive Osteopathic Medical Achievement Test (COMAT) Subject Examinations and the COMLEX-USA Level 2-Cognitive Evaluation | The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association.
Took the test yesterday, OMM/Peds/OB-GYN/Ethics were the big topics on my test. My advice would be to get used to doing questions fast, questions overall were a bit longer than combank/comquest and more videos.
Thank you very much!
With scores coming out tomorrow, I've officially hit the no sleep stage....
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
FTFYWith scores coming out Wednesday, I've officially hit the no sleep stage....
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
...after looking up ftfy...lol, I was hoping they would come out on the first day of the window...is that usually not the case?FTFY
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
It's usually the last possible nanosecond of the last possible day of the window....after looking up ftfy...lol, I was hoping they would come out on the first day of the window...is that usually not the case?
Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk
In all seriousness, mine came around 11 am EST last day of window.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 294
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 3K
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 851