Official 2017 Comlex Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mdincorporated

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
lets do this! For those who have taken it, any tips or advice on what you used and worked?

Members don't see this ad.

It's usually the last possible nanosecond of the last possible day of the window.

In all seriousness, mine came around 11 am EST last day of window.
haha yeah, I checked out their twitter announcements about score releases and they do seem to withhold the scores a bit more than seems reasonable.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm retaking the test tomorrow. For those who took it recently is it still heavy on EKG, Peds, OBGYN, Cardio?

Yes, I just took the exam last week and was very disappointed. My first two blocks felt like they were all weird ethics and bio stats. The rest of the exam had several EKGs and quite a bit of what you mentioned. The rest is a blur!

Reactions: 1 users
"Dear Friend of the NBOME,
It is our pleasure to share with you the September 2017 issue of The Osteopathic Examiner newsletter linked below.
The Osteopathic Examiner - September 2017 Issue
We hope you find it interesting, relevant and useful. Your comments and feedback are most welcome. "

-----This was NOT the email I wanted to receive from you this afternoon.......

Reactions: 3 users
Hi Everybody. I have a friend that has failed his step 2 CK exam 4 times. This last time he scored a 208 and a 209 is passing! He has graduated medical school and has been studying this test for years. Does anyone know how of any time a score appeal has been granted from Fail to Passing? Obviously, I can elaborate on how unfortunate this is, but I am more so seeking guided help if any is out there! His medical school that he graduated from most likely won't grant him another chance to re-take.

Any help is appreciated!

This may or may not be appropriate for this thread, but I am wondering how much a week delay in submitting ERAS would hurt me? Realizing the 15th would have been best (I had several things going on that prevented me from doing so), anyway should I submit asap or wait until Friday when my Level 2 score is released? I had a poor level 1 and honestly not sure about 2, always possibility I could have failed. In the event I passed, though, I didn't know if a complete application would be best? Apply family medicine

This may or may not be appropriate for this thread, but I am wondering how much a week delay in submitting ERAS would hurt me? Realizing the 15th would have been best (I had several things going on that prevented me from doing so), anyway should I submit asap or wait until Friday when my Level 2 score is released? I had a poor level 1 and honestly not sure about 2, always possibility I could have failed. In the event I passed, though, I didn't know if a complete application would be best? Apply family medicine
In my opinion, I would wait until the scores are up .If god forbid you failed then your application won't be competitive anyways but if you pass , at least it'll be considered by few programs even if it is late by a week

I would definitely apply and authorize COMLEX release before Friday. If you did end up doing better than your level 1, you can "resend" your COMLEX transcript on ERAS with the updated score on Friday. If you did fail and you think it might affect your interviews, just don't resend until you have a passing score. This wouldn't seem suspicious - many students have still not even take LEVEL 2 CE yet.

While I don't think submitting a week late would really have a significant effect on you getting interview invites, submitting before Friday will give you a little more control of your application. If you don't submit until Friday when scores are released, and you do fail, that score will be sent to all programs when/if you authorize COMLEX score release. Did you take USMLE?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely apply and authorize COMLEX release before Friday. If you did end up doing better than your level 1, you can "resend" your COMLEX transcript on ERAS with the updated score on Friday. If you did fail and you think it might affect your interviews, just don't resend until you have a passing score. This wouldn't seem suspicious - many students have still not even take LEVEL 2 CE yet.

While I don't think submitting a week late would really have a significant effect on you getting interview invites, submitting before Friday will give you a little more control of your application. If you don't submit until Friday when scores are released, and you do fail, that score will be sent to all programs when/if you authorize COMLEX score release. Did you take USMLE?
correct me if I'm wrong but once you authorize release of COMLEX scores , then all scores are reported automatically regardless of whether you failed or passed in future

correct me if I'm wrong but once you authorize release of COMLEX scores , then all scores are reported automatically regardless of whether you failed or passed in future

This is not true. Future scores are not released until you re-authorize comlex/USMLE transcripts on ERAS.

However, I think there is an "expectation" that you re authorize immediately every time you get a new score, but this is dependent on the honor system.

No, only COMLEX. I agree with the control of application thing. It'd be best if had passing comlex 1 and no level 2 vs failing. I wasn't sure how that worked, If you authorized level 1 and 2 release separately or what. About only thing I have been told was you don't want to choose where it automatically updated or whatever in the event of a failure. I wish I could see into the future and know if passed. It would just make sense for reasoning as to why I waited for a complete application. So, just to be clear if I did wait until Friday and I failed I would have no option but to send both 1 & 2 scores, correct?

This is not true. Future scores are not released until you re-authorize comlex/USMLE transcripts on ERAS.

However, I think there is an "expectation" that you re authorize immediately every time you get a new score, but this is dependent on the honor system.
that doesn't really sound logical to me . That means someone can do well on level1 /step 1 , not authorize release of step2 if they failed , apply for programs and interview, and play the system ?

Last edited:
that doesn't really sound logical to me . That means someone can do well on level1 /step 1 , not authorize release of step2 if they failed , apply for programs and interview, and play the system ?

I would argue that the entire application process is "playing the system".

No, only COMLEX. I agree with the control of application thing. It'd be best if had passing comlex 1 and no level 2 vs failing. I wasn't sure how that worked, If you authorized level 1 and 2 release separately or what. About only thing I have been told was you don't want to choose where it automatically updated or whatever in the event of a failure. I wish I could see into the future and know if passed. It would just make sense for reasoning as to why I waited for a complete application. So, just to be clear if I did wait until Friday and I failed I would have no option but to send both 1 & 2 scores, correct?
Correct.

I agree. It's not logical, but that is what we have. However, remember programs require step 2 before rank lists are due, so eventually you'll have to report it and let the cards fall as they will.

Wow that's a very strong statement to make

Not sure what you mean. We all play to the system in some way. We study for boards, we write personal statements that make us sound cool, we do research that doesn't truly interest us... the list goes on. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying we are all players in the application game.

Not sure what you mean. We all play to the system in some way. We study for boards, we write personal statements that make us sound cool, we do research that doesn't truly interest us... the list goes on. Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying we are all players in the application game.
In context of a board failure i feel it is unethical to not report your board scores, apply and interview and block a spot, hoping that things will work out in your favor. Sooner or later when the program comes to know that you failed boards and didn't report earlier , they reconsider your application and in the process a deserving candidate loses a spot because you had blocked it

Waiting for the results is giving me more anxiety than the clown from the It movie.

So, it took me all day to check, but I passed, too! Score definitely not stellar enough for this board, but small improvement from Level 1. ~450. With my anxiety issues and the amount of crazy on my exam, 401 would have been fine by me. For you average students scouting this board as I did, you can do this!

So, it took me all day to check, but I passed, too! Score definitely not stellar enough for this board, but small improvement from Level 1. ~450. With my anxiety issues and the amount of crazy on my exam, 401 would have been fine by me. For you average students scouting this board as I did, you can do this!

Any tips on what was helpful for the exam as another average student lurker here?

Any tips on what was helpful for the exam as another average student lurker here?

Probably will not sound very helpful, but honestly just trying to stay calm and trust your answers. I got really tripped up after having so much ethics and bio stats on the first 2 sections that it kind of threw me off. Be prepared for those, several EKGs and cardio. Timing was an issue for me and it never has been. There were some questions that were very lengthy. I also had a couple of questions about vaccines, specifically Rabies (2-3 questions) that stick out in my mind. Other than that, I'm drawing blanks! Hope that helps some. Good luck!

Do scores normally come out on Wednesdays? The release period for my test opened yesterday and I foolishly thought the nbome would do something nice for once.

Do scores normally come out on Wednesdays? The release period for my test opened yesterday and I foolishly thought the nbome would do something nice for once.
in my experience, all my comlex scores have come out on the last day except for the PE which shockingly came out on the first day

hiii everyone! im taking my comlex 2 ce in april and was just wondering if anyone had taken it in 2018/recently? havent seen many posts regarding it so im kinda lost :X any tips or weird thingies this time around too?? any help is appreciated :))) thanks in advance!

hiii everyone! im taking my comlex 2 ce in april and was just wondering if anyone had taken it in 2018/recently? havent seen many posts regarding it so im kinda lost :X any tips or weird thingies this time around too?? any help is appreciated :))) thanks in advance!

Nothing can prepare you for Craplex 2. Saying from personal experience.
2x UW, 2x comquest, 2000 from combank and some uworldrx.
I encountered 20 to 30 % questions that are so dubious and bad written that you sit there and wonder-are the writers so ignorent?! How can one ask in a.fib u would go with ccb, warfarin , heparin, beta blockers. The mng is complicated as one must control the rythm than the rate as heparin is started as a bridge to warfarin.
Now what u gonna check?
Also, many many nonesense qns that, when I left, I did not know where to look for the right answers-a.k.a WTF qns.
Another dubious qn- what u use in kidney stones? Well CT noncontrast is the killer for KS, but are you going to use every single time (excl pregnant women-always US), no u cant use CT every time pt comes, bcs throughout the uear they " collect" radiation from tens of CT. So ,they did post-US, CT, X ray. Now, no more detalis in the case. And you look smart at thw screen and you look at the door-wondering if you entered the wrong door and the wrong test.
This test is the worst test. Is not even close to testing medical knowledge to USMLE. And I took both tests.
Good luck all yal.