USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Got my score back last week. I ended up on the boarder of 3rd/4th quartile in the first two years.. honestly could not have felt worse about test day performance. I certainly did not outperform, but hopefully my score will keep most doors open.

NBME 13 (7wks before): 197
NBME 15 (5wks before): 232
NBME 16 (4wks before): 236
NBME 17 (3wks before): 232
UW1 (2wks before): 254
NBME 18 (1wk before): 242
UW2 (3days before): 245

Actual Score: 239

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Purely speculation, obviously, but how many wrong questions on a 280 q exam do you think you could miss and still eke out a 240? It's interesting seeing people from these past months state they knew they missed 10-20 and still do well...
I scored 252 and I don't see how I could've possibly gotten more than 80% correct. Every block I'd say I had 20 I knew cold 10 I was somewhat certain, and 10 I had no friggin' clue on.

Reactions: 8 users
I scored 252 and I don't see how I could've possibly gotten more than 80% correct. Every block I'd say I had 20 I knew cold 10 I was somewhat certain, and 10 I had no friggin' clue on.

I felt the same and scored around that as well. You can miss more on the actual step 1 exam than the NBMEs. I feel like they're scored on a curve similar to the UWSA's.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Got my score back last week. I ended up on the boarder of 3rd/4th quartile in the first two years.. honestly could not have felt worse about test day performance. I certainly did not outperform, but hopefully my score will keep most doors open.

NBME 13 (7wks before): 197
NBME 15 (5wks before): 232
NBME 16 (4wks before): 236
NBME 17 (3wks before): 232
UW1 (2wks before): 254
NBME 18 (1wk before): 242
UW2 (3days before): 245

Actual Score: 239

Ugh how annoying that you didn't get that last point to bump up to a 240!

Great score though, congrats on being done.

Question for those of you who were able to greatly improve during dedicated time. How did you use NBMEs to improve your scores?
I've taken two NBMEs the first one showed major weaknesses in fundamental areas (biochem/genetics/immuno) so I focused on those and was able to improve. So at this point none of my categories are in the low performance area, but Im wondering if any of you have strategies to really get the most out of your NBMEs and take things to the next level.

I sat for Step 1 last Tuesday and my permit is gone. I am not sure what the argument/ debate is all about but I doubt the timing of this removal of the permit has something to do with passing or failing or when to expect scores.

Last edited:
Question for those of you who were able to greatly improve during dedicated time. How did you use NBMEs to improve your scores?
I've taken two NBMEs the first one showed major weaknesses in fundamental areas (biochem/genetics/immuno) so I focused on those and was able to improve. So at this point none of my categories are in the low performance area, but Im wondering if any of you have strategies to really get the most out of your NBMEs and take things to the next level.
That's the right idea. There's not much more you can do with the NBMEs, other than that and asking yourself why you got the question wrong in the first place. I just used them to keep track of my progress and study.

I sat for Step 1 last Tuesday and my permit is gone. I am not sure what the argument/ debate is all about but I doubt the timing of this removal of the permit has something to do with passing or failing or when to expect scores.
Maybe because your eligibility period ended. It has nothing to do with passing or failing. However, everyone that lost their permit last week who were within eligibility, got their scores back.

Hopefully the June 19th week takers should get their scores back. Because last week the June 12th week got their scores back. There are no other scores to release other than June 19th week and I don't think they're planning on not releasing anything this week.

Hopefully the June 19th week takers should get their scores back. Because last week the June 12th week got their scores back. There are no other scores to release other than June 19th week and I don't think they're planning on not releasing anything this week.
They're doing this to specifically target June 19th test takers; they hate us. June 19th was a monday too, and mondays suck. Personally, I dislike the number 19 too.

Reactions: 1 users
When you guys mean permit. Like when you click it, nothing shows up or is the actual "print permit" supposed to be gone?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can we vote on making it against SDN rules to talk about permits disappearing as if they mean anything?

Reactions: 5 users
6/23 test date. "Print permit" button has disappeared within the last hour. Eligibility period doesn't end until 7/31. Starting to think there is some validity to it. Who knows...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well, whether there is validity to it or not, grinding your teeth over it won't make it come any quicker. Relax for a couple days (unless you're on surgical clerkship, my condolences) and it will be here before you know it.

lol the permit link disappearing is real whether you guys want to believe it or not... i love me a good conspiracy *excited*

Guys, what is goodie with this permit thing?

I never opened my page until today but it definitely looks different than before. Under schedule it says "scheduling is not available." Is that the same thing?

Guys, what is goodie with this permit thing?

I never opened my page until today but it definitely looks different than before. Under schedule it says "scheduling is not available." Is that the same thing?
The "goodie" with the permit is nothing. It's a myth, a legend, a story told by other medical students to get others' hopes up.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it possible to fail even if you didn't fail any NBME? I know it's a stupid question , but I'm really having mini panic attacks during the day. My score gets released this wed. My NBME average was 232 which I was happy with but I really felt really HORRRRIIIBBBLEEEE after the test. I felt like I guessed in 80% of the test and I was also rushing to finish answering all the questions ...I'm not kidding or trying to be dramatic ...I felt pretty bad. I normally had an idea of how good I was doing when I took the NBMEs. I know I should just wait to see my score but do you guys think it's possible to fail or maybe do significantly lower than my average? My lowest was 225.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it possible to fail even if you didn't fail any NBME? I know it's a stupid question , but I'm really having mini panic attacks during the day. My score gets released this wed. My NBME average was 232 which I was happy with but I really felt really HORRRRIIIBBBLEEEE after the test. I felt like I guessed in 80% of the test and I was also rushing to finish answering all the questions ...I'm not kidding or trying to be dramatic ...I felt pretty bad. I normally had an idea of how good I was doing when I took the NBMEs. I know I should just wait to see my score but do you guys think it's possible to fail or maybe do significantly lower than my average? My lowest was 225.

I felt the exact same day on test day. But I also felt similarly on NBME 18 and COMSAE E ( obvs not as bad) and that was my best practice exam score.

I have a question, if you may,
My exam in 2 weeks and I completed the UWORLD ,with 66% 1st pass.
What do you suggest , solve the incorrect only or just random ?
My resources are First Aid and uworld.
Thank you

I have a question, if you may,
My exam in 2 weeks and I completed the UWORLD ,with 66% 1st pass.
What do you suggest , solve the incorrect only or just random ?
My resources are First Aid and uworld.
Thank you

Have you taken any NBMEs to see where you stand? If so, go over your weaker sections in FA and uworld. If not, taken one and see where you stand.

i have nothing useful to contribute to your answer since i took mine just last week but i feel the exact same way. sending good thoughts your way, let us know how it went!!

NBME 17(6 weeks out) - 209 - baseline.
NBME 16 (4 weeks out) - 236
USWA 1 (3 weeks out) - 241
NBME 19 (2 weeks out) - 217 (didn't help my cause with boat load of stupid errors)
Free 120 - 81%
NBME 18 (1 week out) - 240
USWA 2 (4 days out) - 249

Have a few more days go.....to take my exam.

Based on my performance so far.....what are my chances of getting above a 230?

I just feel that I got lucky and I really do not know anything.

No, this is normal, you will be fine. No need to worry, focus on now and trust that all of have felt this way some time during or after. The test is highly variable in difficulty but you get compensated for that through normalization.

Sent from my C6802 using Tapatalk