USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
234! Right around my average. I thought I legit failed the exam coming out so Im super happy.

Reactions: 8 users
Well, did better than I thought I was going to coming out of the exam. My NBME/UW average was right around a 235 and ended up with a 231 on the real deal. I'm not crazy disappointed by it because I felt terrible coming out of the exam. Any thoughts on whether this will keep me out of GS or OB?

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
238. I am very happy with the score. I want to go into IM and possibly do a fellowship so hopefully this doesn't close any doors.

My NBME average was around a 230 so this was a pleasant surprise. UWSA2 was the closest predictor at 239.

Good luck to everyone else getting their scores back today.

Reactions: 6 users
Well, did better than I thought I was going to coming out of the exam. My NBME/UW average was right around a 235 and ended up with a 231 on the real deal. I'm not crazy disappointed by it because I felt terrible coming out of the exam. Any thoughts on whether this will keep me out of GS or OB?
When did you guys take the test? I took mine on June 26th, wondering if we can expect to hear back.

You're good with that score. Based on 2016 charting outcomes GS mean 235, OB/GYN mean 229

250+! Absolutely excited beyond belief! Will most likely do a long write up later. Cheers everyone!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
243! Not sure what country I must've saved in my past life to achieve this miracle haha. I was expecting 220-230. UWSA2 was my closest predictor.

Scored 4 points below my NBME 19 score. Pretty disappointed but I passed so, meh.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Scored 4 points below my NBME 19 score. Pretty disappointed but I passed so, meh.

Congratulations on passing. Do you mind sharing your stats? I got 237 on my uwsa1 my exam is next week. Am freaking out as I'm still only halfway through UW. Procrastination is biting me in the butt

Is this normal? I'm on my break and I'm trying to Google for answers and I can't find clear cut yes or no answers to most of my questions. I was thinking medbullets might have stuff but it's not listed. But random research articles have come close with "yah, we found 3% of people had or did the thing". That's not really reassuring but it's all that's coming up on Google.

6wk nbme13 240
4wk - nbme15 242
3wk - nbme17 238
2wk - nbme18 244
5d - nbme 19 250
4d - free 120 87%
3d - uwsa1 271
3d - uwsa2 264
UW avg 78%
real 251

Saw so many posts here to calm my nerves down, so here it is. Felt like I under-performed. Was hoping 255+ but can't complain with what I got. But, honestly, I feel bittersweet with my score as of now (will progressively become more content as time goes on though). I have my own thoughts about my dedicated study time, test day, what I should have done more to increase my score, so I can share them if you have any questions. Best of luck to y'all.

6wk nbme13 240
4wk - nbme15 242
3wk - nbme17 238
2wk - nbme18 244
5d - nbme 19 250
4d - free 120 87%
3d - uwsa1 271
3d - uwsa2 264
UW avg 78%
real 251

Saw so many posts here to calm my nerves down, so here it is. Felt like I under-performed. Was hoping 255+ but can't complain with what I got. But, honestly, I feel bittersweet with my score as of now (will progressively become more content as time goes on though). I have my own thoughts about my dedicated study time, test day, what I should have done more to increase my score, so I can share them if you have any questions. Best of luck to y'all.
Awesome score, congrats!!!
I have question about the last 10 days before the exam, what shall I do ? cause i am afraid that i will forget things till the exam.
I took NBME 16 a week ago and scored 242.
But i am afraid that i will forget the things that i learned.

Awesome score, congrats!!!
I have question about the last 10 days before the exam, what shall I do ? cause i am afraid that i will forget things till the exam.
I took NBME 16 a week ago and scored 242.
But i am afraid that i will forget the things that i learned.
I would suggest mingle content review (rather if it's FA or something else) + questions. I did FA + repeat some of the U World questions in my 10 days. I squeezed in many practice test as well to see where I am at. I believe doing many questions possible become more and more important as test day comes.

6wk nbme13 240
4wk - nbme15 242
3wk - nbme17 238
2wk - nbme18 244
5d - nbme 19 250
4d - free 120 87%
3d - uwsa1 271
3d - uwsa2 264
UW avg 78%
real 251

What do you recommend doing on test day?

Hey guys, Just looking for some advice.

I know all you people are going to think I'm a troll, but I promise I am not.
Received my complex score today got a 530, feeling really down. My smile score was a 245. How bad does this affect my chances of landing a competitive residency like General surgery, EM or ortho.

school CBSE 223 ( 7 weeks out)
NBME 15: 225 (4 weeks out)
NBME 16: 236 (3 weeks out)
NBME 18: 242 (2 weeks out)
NBME 17: 225 (1 week out) --> Had major panic attack

Step 1: 249 --> it was super hard, felt like i was guessing on 80% of the questions, no kidding

I am beyond happy. People do not lose faith. I felt horribleeee after the test. I actually posted a few days ago about that and I did very well imo. Good luck to everyone taking the step or getting their scores soon.

UWorld 1st pass -- 89%

Beginning of May - CBSE -- 98 / >260

05/14 - UWSA 15 -- 660/261

05/20 - NBME 16 -- 680/265

05/27 - NBME 17 -- 660/261

06/3 - NBME 19 -- 640/257

06/10 - NBME 18 -- 690/267

6/10 - UWSA 2 -- 271 (taken before NBME 18 to simulate test length)

6/17 - Free 120 - 93%

06/19 - STEP 1 -- 267

I am very happy with my score--my strategy was to aggressively go through Firecracker's question (had not started beforehand) and flashcard (about 40%-->100% questions done) database starting after spring break so that I would feel somewhat prepared for the CBSE at the end of the school year. I think this was a good strategy for me because it helped manage the anxiety aspect of STEP.

I relied heavily on Sketchy Micro and Pharm, and I used selected sketches from Sketchy Path and Picmonic (Picmonic I liked for esoteric biochem diseases like lysosomal storage). Other than that I used UFAP (80 UWORLD q's per day) and kept up with 100 FC flash cards a day during my gym time. I would highly recommend daily exercise!

I want to emphasize that I did not kill myself during prep--I would start at 8 and usually stop at dinnertime (6-ish). It's a marathon prep and you don't want to burn out.

I would be happy to answer any questions about strategy or test day!

4 weeks out: 225 (NBME 16), 256 (UWSA1)
3 weeks out: 232 (NBME 15)
2 weeks out: 250 (NBME 18)
1 week out: 266 (UWSA2)

Step 1: 256
Comlex: 656

Was hoping for 260+ so somewhat disappointed but I mean... not really lol

Reactions: 1 users
Top 15% of class at a DO school. Studied hard for 6 weeks, mainly UFAPS + physeo
UWorld 1st pass 70%
NBME 13 (Right after finals, before serious board studying ): 215
NBME 15 (Middle of board study): 234
NBME 16 ( end of 4th week of board studying): 238
NBME 17 (End of board studying, 5th week): 240
NBME 18 (End of board studying, 5th week) 240
USAW1 (Beginning of board studying, after NBME 13 but before 15): 247
USAW2 (Right before my Step Exam): 245

Actual Step score: 244

I missed a lot of easy questions on the actual exam. Was hoping for 240+, but wasn't sure if I'd hit 240. Hopefully this helps someone.

Figured I should contribute as well since y'all have been so great.
US MD mid 50% of the class
Uworld first (and only pass)- 65%
7 week total dedicated period
5wks NBME 16-215 (start of dedicated after first pass of FA)
3wks UWSA 1- 237
2 wks NBME 18- 215 (freaking out about no improvement)
1 wk UWSA 2- 239
Day before- Free 120-88%
6/19 STEP 1 - 241

On a side note for those that are done, please contribute to this google survey so all of this wonderful data can be searched and used for future classes. I think we all relied on previous years to do this for us so we should pass it along.
Reddit USMLE/COMLEX I Score Correlations 2017
You can see preliminary data collected here:

Reactions: 7 users
I'm an IMG and took mine on the 27th of June.

Where and how do we check the scores actually? I'm so confused with everyone talking about permits and stuff.

Any info helps! Thanks!

253! Absolutely excited beyond belief! Will most likely do a long write up later. Cheers everyone!
Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Here is my piece to give back to so many who have helped me. For reference, I am a DO student in the top 15% of my class.

Uworld 1st pass: 71% (was getting ~85% in the last few weeks)
Uworld 2nd pass: 93%

NBME 17 (baseline): 210
NBME 18 (1 month into dedicated): 225
NBME 16 (1.5 months into dedicated): 240
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 250
NBME 19 (2 weeks out): 255
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out): 265
UWSA 2 (1 week out): 260

USMLE: 250-255
COMLEX: 800+

To start, I will echo what many others have said. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing one can do to prepare for these exams is to study well during your first two years of medical school. There is absolutely no substitute for this. It seems that many students (as we all would), want the easy answer on how to get amazing scores on Step 1, but the true answer is hard work. I must say that I am still in a little shocked about my scores, because I still doubted myself even though practice scores estimated me in the ~250 range. However, my point is that despite the doubt, I worked my ass off every single day in order to get to where I am. I sacrificed time with friends, family, my wife...etc. All of that time I could have had was spent learning the material and that was BEFORE dedicated period. I do not write this to discourage students who are now looking upon this at the start of their dedicated time. I write this to try and grip the incoming 1st year student about what rigors are necessary to succeed on Step 1 (unless you are just some god-sent genius). Again, there is absolutely no substitute to 2 years of hard work and study when it comes to these exams. For those who did not put forth their 100% during the first years and are now finding themselves needing to kick it into high gear for dedicated, just use it as motivation to work that much harder. You can do it!

Second, another very important thing that I did was that I made a study plan that I WAS ABLE TO STICK TO, with enough wiggle room to fall back on if I needed it. This was probably the most important thing that I did during dedicated that was not related to actually studying. This allowed me to stay calm and not get overwhelmed if I would get behind, and it allowed me a chance to catch up when needed. Start the process of making this EARLY in 2nd year so that your dedicated time does not sneak up on you and leave you frantically running around trying to figure out what you want to do. I can honestly say that I would not have done anything differently with my dedicated time because looking back on what I could have improved on is only something that I now see due to hindsight, not because I would have realized them in the moment or that I didn't put in 150% every single day.

My study materials: Uworld, FirstAid, Pathoma, SketchyMicro/Pharm, and a couple Goljan audio lectures (let me use this opportunity to reiterate that the largest and most important study material that I used was the FIRST TWO YEARS OF SCHOOL). I also used Savarese ("green book") and COMBANK OMM questions to supplement for my COMLEX exam.

I really felt that the above materials very well compensated for the basis everyone needs to know for Step 1. The remaining effort is up to you to make the connections necessary to understand all the information. My advice would be to buy and get a grasp on these study materials around December of 2nd year. Become familiar with them so that, again, when dedicated time sneaks up on you, you are not frantically running about deciding what to do. While I found these resources adequate for my personal learning style, YMMV. I went through Uworld two full times during dedicated, but started my 1st pass around March. Getting through Uworld was a slow, arduous process, but in the end it does incredible things for one's understanding (in my opinion). Going through Uworld slowly the first time really allowed me to make the necessary associations and my 2nd round was just for reinforcement. Questions really are the best way to learn the material. Additionally, I don't feel the need to go into each resource individually and how I used it because that is really up to the individual and these forums are full of people repeating themselves over and over again about them.

Lastly, make sure you are taking a step back from studying for Step 1 once and a while to actually enjoy life for a bit. Every single Saturday of my dedicated period was a 3/4 day off that I would spend with my wife and I would not trade that time for any higher score. It is so important TO KEEP YOUR STRESS TO A MINIMUM while you are studying, because having a breakdown around exam time is about the worse (non-emergent) thing that could happen to you in terms of your performance. The USMLE was one hell of a test; beyond difficult. But, I was able to stay calm throughout the entire experience and minimize my silly mistakes. In fact, many times on the USMLE did I find myself going back and changing an answer to the correct one due to catching some stupid mistake I made. It is much harder to do this when you are an anxious wreck.

For the COMLEX/USMLE comparison, I felt that the COMLEX was a much more straight forward exam and that my preparation for the USMLE adequately prepared me for the COMLEX as well. Reading Savarese and doing the COMBANK OMM questions was more than enough (for my exam) in order to do well on the OMM questions. Do not make the COMLEX more complicated that it needs to be. I would encourage to use the strategy of taking the USMLE first and then the COMLEX 3-5 days afterward in order to cram OMM. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. I vividly remember a bunch of my OMM faculty always spouting off about what would be necessary to prepare for the COMLEX and it is all just nonsense. Use the COMLEX blueprint if you must, but I felt Savarese/COMBANK was very adequate.

I want to send a personal Thank You to all the individuals who have been so supportive to myself and all the other students as we go through this process. Hopefully I can leave my mark in a similar fashion. I would be happy to answer any questions/PMs if anyone is in need. I wish everyone the absolute best!

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
I'm an IMG and took mine on the 27th of June.

Where and how do we check the scores actually? I'm so confused with everyone talking about permits and stuff.

Any info helps! Thanks!
Well, I think you will receive your score on the next wednesday.
You can check it on the ECFMG website through IWA, you will find PDF file to download.
The scores are out by 8:30 am ( for the IMG) as everybody saying.
You will also receive an e-mail around that time stating that your score is available in IWA.
About the permit disappearing "thing" , there is a rumor saying that you will lose the permit link in IWA before few days of releasing the scores, which will be around next monday, it is nothing, just a sign that you are going to receive the score in few days.

Here is my piece to give back to so many who have helped me. For reference, I am a DO student in the top 15% of my class.

Uworld 1st pass: 71% (was getting ~85% in the last few weeks)
Uworld 2nd pass: 93%

NBME 17 (baseline): 210
NBME 18 (1 month into dedicated): 225
NBME 16 (1.5 months into dedicated): 240
NBME 15 (3 weeks out): 250
NBME 19 (2 weeks out): 255
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out): 265
UWSA 2 (1 week out): 260

USMLE: 253
COMLEX: 846

To start, I will echo what many others have said. The absolute MOST IMPORTANT thing one can do to prepare for these exams is to study well during your first two years of medical school. There is absolutely no substitute for this. It seems that many students (as we all would), want the easy answer on how to get amazing scores on Step 1, but the true answer is hard work. I must say that I am still in a little shocked about my scores, because I still doubted myself even though practice scores estimated me in the ~250 range. However, my point is that despite the doubt, I worked my ass off every single day in order to get to where I am. I sacrificed time with friends, family, my wife...etc. All of that time I could have had was spent learning the material and that was BEFORE dedicated period. I do not write this to discourage students who are now looking upon this at the start of their dedicated time. I write this to try and grip the incoming 1st year student about what rigors are necessary to succeed on Step 1 (unless you are just some god-sent genius). Again, there is absolutely no substitute to 2 years of hard work and study when it comes to these exams. For those who did not put forth their 100% during the first years and are now finding themselves needing to kick it into high gear for dedicated, just use it as motivation to work that much harder. You can do it!

Second, another very important thing that I did was that I made a study plan that I WAS ABLE TO STICK TO, with enough wiggle room to fall back on if I needed it. This was probably the most important thing that I did during dedicated that was not related to actually studying. This allowed me to stay calm and not get overwhelmed if I would get behind, and it allowed me a chance to catch up when needed. Start the process of making this EARLY in 2nd year so that your dedicated time does not sneak up on you and leave you frantically running around trying to figure out what you want to do. I can honestly say that I would not have done anything differently with my dedicated time because looking back on what I could have improved on is only something that I now see due to hindsight, not because I would have realized them in the moment or that I didn't put in 150% every single day.

My study materials: Uworld, FirstAid, Pathoma, SketchyMicro/Pharm, and a couple Goljan audio lectures (let me use this opportunity to reiterate that the largest and most important study material that I used was the FIRST TWO YEARS OF SCHOOL). I also used Savarese ("green book") and COMBANK OMM questions to supplement for my COMLEX exam.

I really felt that the above materials very well compensated for the basis everyone needs to know for Step 1. The remaining effort is up to you to make the connections necessary to understand all the information. My advice would be to buy and get a grasp on these study materials around December of 2nd year. Become familiar with them so that, again, when dedicated time sneaks up on you, you are not frantically running about deciding what to do. While I found these resources adequate for my personal learning style, YMMV. I went through Uworld two full times during dedicated, but started my 1st pass around March. Getting through Uworld was a slow, arduous process, but in the end it does incredible things for one's understanding (in my opinion). Going through Uworld slowly the first time really allowed me to make the necessary associations and my 2nd round was just for reinforcement. Questions really are the best way to learn the material. Additionally, I don't feel the need to go into each resource individually and how I used it because that is really up to the individual and these forums are full of people repeating themselves over and over again about them.

Lastly, make sure you are taking a step back from studying for Step 1 once and a while to actually enjoy life for a bit. Every single Saturday of my dedicated period was a 3/4 day off that I would spend with my wife and I would not trade that time for any higher score. It is so important TO KEEP YOUR STRESS TO A MINIMUM while you are studying, because having a breakdown around exam time is about the worse (non-emergent) thing that could happen to you in terms of your performance. The USMLE was one hell of a test; beyond difficult. But, I was able to stay calm throughout the entire experience and minimize my silly mistakes. In fact, many times on the USMLE did I find myself going back and changing an answer to the correct one due to catching some stupid mistake I made. It is much harder to do this when you are an anxious wreck.

For the COMLEX/USMLE comparison, I felt that the COMLEX was a much more straight forward exam and that my preparation for the USMLE adequately prepared me for the COMLEX as well. Reading Savarese and doing the COMBANK OMM questions was more than enough (for my exam) in order to do well on the OMM questions. Do not make the COMLEX more complicated that it needs to be. I would encourage to use the strategy of taking the USMLE first and then the COMLEX 3-5 days afterward in order to cram OMM. Do not let anyone else tell you otherwise. I vividly remember a bunch of my OMM faculty always spouting off about what would be necessary to prepare for the COMLEX and it is all just nonsense. Use the COMLEX blueprint if you must, but I felt Savarese/COMBANK was very adequate.

I want to send a personal Thank You to all the individuals who have been so supportive to myself and all the other students as we go through this process. Hopefully I can leave my mark in a similar fashion. I would be happy to answer any questions/PMs if anyone is in need. I wish everyone the absolute best!
846 on COMLEX??? Did you get like 2 wrong? wowza congrats dude

Hey all,

Been here from a little before I took my step 1. I wanted to thank all of those who were generous enough spare me 5 mins of their day, answering my anxious queries. Got my score yesterday! And I got a 237. Not exactly what I wanted, but it is what it is..

Now, I need your advice one last time. What are my chances of getting into a university IM program? I might sound a little too ambitious, but If I'm doing something, I might as well do it right, right? Here's my credentials:
  1. 5 months of clinical experience in USA and and LORs from these rotations.
  2. 9 months of research at a top tier med school in USA.
  3. One abstract accepted by AHA. The same poster was presented at an AHA convention in New Orleans last year.
  4. One publication from my home med school (I don't think this one counts since it isn't in pubmed)
  5. Hopefully, I'll work harder and break a 250 odd on CK.
  6. I'm taking another year off for research. Hopefully get some publications and apply for 2019 match.
I'll be more than happy to answer any questions regarding my prep time, materials, and questions along those lines. Be warned that it won't be anything different from what's already mentioned by the other amazing students on this forum. Nevertheless, please feel free to ask! Happy to help and share my perspective. My prep was all over the place, but yes, I started off with a baseline score of 196. You hear this often, but I'll say it anyways--if I can do it, I don't see why you can't push yourself for a 240 odd. It's a long journey and reciting " you reap what you sow" may help alleviate anxiety. Worked for me on some days.

Thanks again!
Best wishes
A.A

Hey all,

Been here from a little before I took my step 1. I wanted to thank all of those who were generous enough spare me 5 mins of their day, answering my anxious queries. Got my score yesterday! And I got a 237. Not exactly what I wanted, but it is what it is..

Now, I need your advice one last time. What are my chances of getting into a university IM program? I might sound a little too ambitious, but If I'm doing something, I might as well do it right, right? Here's my credentials:
  1. 5 months of clinical experience in USA and and LORs from these rotations.
  2. 9 months of research at a top tier med school in USA.
  3. One abstract accepted by AHA. The same poster was presented at an AHA convention in New Orleans last year.
  4. One publication from my home med school (I don't think this one counts since it isn't in pubmed)
  5. Hopefully, I'll work harder and break a 250 odd on CK.
  6. I'm taking another year off for research. Hopefully get some publications and apply for 2019 match.
I'll be more than happy to answer any questions regarding my prep time, materials, and questions along those lines. Be warned that it won't be anything different from what's already mentioned by the other amazing students on this forum. Nevertheless, please feel free to ask! Happy to help and share my perspective. My prep was all over the place, but yes, I started off with a baseline score of 196. You hear this often, but I'll say it anyways--if I can do it, I don't see why you can't push yourself for a 240 odd. It's a long journey and reciting " you reap what you sow" may help alleviate anxiety. Worked for me on some days.

Thanks again!
Best wishes
A.A

YOG? Caribb grad?

There's never a right answer to that question. I know a couple who did not do FA at all and broke a 260 and then I know a few who said they did FA 7 times and ended up with a 220. So, it's really not about how well you can memorize that book, rather, how well you already know the concepts in that book. It's a great review book that should be used only to review what you already know. Mind if I ask you how many weeks you have left?

you should def chase your dream
Score with all that you've got these next few weeks. It's now or never. Don't let anxiety and stress catch up to you. You got this!

Hey everyone, I got my score yesterday and was very happy with the outcome. I did not study hard the first two years (family came first) so I really was just trying to reasonably pass. Many of you remember my post a few weeks back before my test freaking out about potentially failing. Anyway, my nbme average was 238 and I just did UFAP. I only got through 85 percent of uworld and went through FA about 1.5x. This test is beatable, trust your averages!!!

Final score: 244

Uwsa 1: 247
Uwsa 2: 247
Free 150: 84%
Nbme subject tests much higher

Real:234

I wish that so much wasn't riding on a score. Sometimes people underperform and many over perform compared to averages.

I got a score that works for my goals in medicine but I think the process of scoring could be improved.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Uwsa 1: 247
Uwsa 2: 247
Free 150: 84%
Nbme subject tests much higher

Real:234

I wish that so much wasn't riding on a score. Sometimes people underperform and many over perform compared to averages.

I got a score that works for my goals in medicine but I think the process of scoring could be improved.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Woof. Sorry to hear that bud. Only thing to do now is keep on trucking.

There's never a right answer to that question. I know a couple who did not do FA at all and broke a 260 and then I know a few who said they did FA 7 times and ended up with a 220. So, it's really not about how well you can memorize that book, rather, how well you already know the concepts in that book. It's a great review book that should be used only to review what you already know. Mind if I ask you how many weeks you have left?

you should def chase your dream
Score with all that you've got these next few weeks. It's now or never. Don't let anxiety and stress catch up to you. You got this!
6 weeks.