USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Members don't see this ad :)
NBME 17(6 weeks out) - 209 - baseline.
NBME 16 (4 weeks out) - 236
USWA 1 (3 weeks out) - 241
NBME 19 (2 weeks out) - 217 (didn't help my cause with boat load of stupid errors)
Free 120 - 81%
NBME 18 (1 week out) - 240
USWA 2 (4 days out) - 249

Have a few more days go.....to take my exam.

Based on my performance so far.....what are my chances of getting above a 230?

I just feel that I got lucky and I really do not know anything.
I think you'll break 230 for sure. I took nbme 18 4 days before my exam and scored 4 points higher on the real deal.

I took NBME 16 and got 242 and I cant find a point of weakness through the test, like all the subjects are covered the same except for anatomy which is still NOT below the average,
My exam in 2 weeks , and finished uworld with 66%.
I dont really know what to do, any advice is appreciated.
My goal is 240.

I took NBME 16 and got 242 and I cant find a point of weakness through the test, like all the subjects are covered the same except for anatomy which is still NOT below the average,
My exam in 2 weeks , and finished uworld with 66%.
I dont really know what to do, any advice is appreciated.
My goal is 240.
Take more NBME's... specifically 17 & 18. NBME 19 tends to scare people and under-predicts your actual score, but it would probably be worth your while to be exposed to those questions as well. I had a few questions on my USMLE that were pretty much word for word the same as questions on the NBME's.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't agree enough. I took NBME 19 3 days before and I scored a whopping 12 points higher on the real deal. Taking NBME scared me, but if fear motivates you like it does me - then take it. otherwise, skip 19!

Thank you guys, i will try to take NBME 18 in the next 2 days.
But after that, like what should I read during the last 10 days before the exam, like if my NBME's are not telling me specific weaknesses ?
I am afraid that I am going to forget things that I learned during these remaining 10 days.

Thank you guys, i will try to take NBME 18 in the next 2 days.
But after that, like what should I read during the last 10 days before the exam, like if my NBME's are not telling me specific weaknesses ?
I am afraid that I am going to forget things that I learned during these remaining 10 days.

Personally I would stay away from big, complicated concepts and just review cold-recall type facts like antidotes/CYP-interactions/pharm weak points/equations/etc. I don't think there's much to be gained in the big-hitter sections like pathology or physiology in the last week before the exam, you know what you know as far as that goes. Keep taking questions to lock down your test-taking strategy and to keep your mind primed for test day.

Members don't see this ad :)
A little random but it made me laugh a little. I just checked into my hotel in order to take step tomorrow. I explained to the hotel manager (who was hanging out) that I had asked for a quiet room because I was doing some last minute studying since I had an 8 hour test the next day. "Oh, we had a bunch of guys come in today saying the same thing", was his reply. So I explained that we were all med students and that if anyone looks stressed or freaked out during breakfast, it's because of the exam that we'll be taking.

So, if you're in Virginia, Hey! We might be at the same hotel tonight.

Hey guys, I need help with UW qid 11852.

I fail to understand how to differentiate between IgE-dependent- vs IgE-independent- mast cell degranulation.
If a question with symptoms of Urticaria is given, how to figure out which of the 2 scenarios above caused it?

Any help/explanation will be highly appreciated. Thanks

I fail to understand how to differentiate between IgE-dependent- vs IgE-independent- mast cell degranulation.
If a question with symptoms of Urticaria is given, how to figure out which of the 2 scenarios above caused it?

You have to know the mechanism of action of the offending agent. For example, morphine can cause an IgE-independent mast cell degranulation reaction. Whereas something like shellfish in an individual with a shellfish allergy causes an IgE-dependent mast cell degranulation.

Reactions: 1 users

It's exactly what the name says, some agents can bypass the IgE step in mast cell activation. You have to memorize which ones those are. Off the top of my head it's a few drugs? Morphine, vanc maybe?

I don't mean to bring up the permits again but my anxiety is through the roof. Does anyone know if you failed the exam, will your permit still disappear? My eligibility period is good for another month. Thanks!

I don't mean to bring up the permits again but my anxiety is through the roof. Does anyone know if you failed the exam, will your permit still disappear? My eligibility period is good for another month. Thanks!
No one knows the answer because they have never stated anything in regards to the permit. Its all hearsay and voodoo magic. You'd probably get a better answer from shaking a magic 8 ball.

I have a quick question. What is the most common bacterial cause of "a solitary brain abscess?"
Didn't know of any bacteria that cause brain abscesses until I just researched this lol... but according this article Bacterial Brain Abscess it seems likely that streptococcus is the most common genus although I can't find data on specific species. I'm just inferring from the two statements that 1. aerobes are the most common cause and 2. streptococcus is the most common of the aerobes causing brain abscesses. Although, there are possible distributions of etiology in which the most common aerobe isn't the most common bug overall despite aerobes being more common than anaerobes lol. Like if aerobes accounted for 51% of cases with strep being 60% of those cases, while anaerobes accounted for 49% of cases with bacteroides fragilis accounting for 99% of those cases.... sorry for the long response - best I can do. Hope someone else can find you a more definitive article.

on a lighter note, my permit has finally disappeared which 100% means I'll get my score tomorrow #permitpermit

It's exactly what the name says, some agents can bypass the IgE step in mast cell activation. You have to memorize which ones those are. Off the top of my head it's a few drugs? Morphine, vanc maybe?

Thanks guys.
So any idea where can I get the list about which offending agent uses which mechanism out of the two?

Thanks guys.
So any idea where can I get the list about which offending agent uses which mechanism out of the two?
Morphine (as well as other opioids), some abx (mainly vancomycin) and radiocontrast are the big ones I've seen in the Qbanks and text.

For those of you who get your scores tomorrow, congratulations! Just remember that you all worked hard and that this is just the beginning of the road. I'm sure you all will make fantastic doctors!

For those of you who get your scores tomorrow, congratulations! Just remember that you all worked hard and that this is just the beginning of the road. I'm sure you all will make fantastic doctors!
And make sure you post your scores here... we'll be waiting! Good luck!

Didn't know of any bacteria that cause brain abscesses until I just researched this lol... but according this article Bacterial Brain Abscess it seems likely that streptococcus is the most common genus although I can't find data on specific species. I'm just inferring from the two statements that 1. aerobes are the most common cause and 2. streptococcus is the most common of the aerobes causing brain abscesses. Although, there are possible distributions of etiology in which the most common aerobe isn't the most common bug overall despite aerobes being more common than anaerobes lol. Like if aerobes accounted for 51% of cases with strep being 60% of those cases, while anaerobes accounted for 49% of cases with bacteroides fragilis accounting for 99% of those cases.... sorry for the long response - best I can do. Hope someone else can find you a more definitive article.

on a lighter note, my permit has finally disappeared which 100% means I'll get my score tomorrow #permitpermit

Thanks, that's what I was getting too but for some reason I read it was Actinomyces Israelii

Did anyone take step June 26th? If so, what did you think of the test?

I took step 1 on June 26. I left the test thinking it was a very fair test but I know I made a lot of dumb mistakes and didn't trust my gut on 10 questions that I know for sure that I missed. Not sure what to think about my performance. I could have done average or failed, would be surprised if I did really well. NBME's were all over the place but my nbme 19 was a 236 which was my highest one and i took it 1 week prior to my exam date. How was your experience.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

I also thought it was an OK test. I know that I made at least 10 stupid mistakes also, but a couple of people told me they thought it was a comparatively easier test so I'm honestly not sure what to think. My NBMEs were in the high 240s/mid 250s but I don't have any idea of how it went. I marked at least 56 questions. I am an IMG, but I didn't have as long to study as a lot of my classmates so I don't really know what to think. I feel very uneasy and have no clue how my score is going to turn out.

I took step 1 on June 26. I left the test thinking it was a very fair test but I know I made a lot of dumb mistakes and didn't trust my gut on 10 questions that I know for sure that I missed. Not sure what to think about my performance. I could have done average or failed, would be surprised if I did really well. NBME's were all over the place but my nbme 19 was a 236 which was my highest one and i took it 1 week prior to my exam date. How was your experience.

Last edited:
Well you scored higher than me on nbme's and I'm sure you did fine if you were scoring in the 240-250 range. It sucks waiting so long for a score and there is nothing i can do about it at this point. I know i studied hard, I felt pretty good, and in the end it will all be ok. If i score low then my future will have a different course than I am currently planning. If I score high then my options will open up. The waiting, the second guessing, the hard work, and soon the end result and the beginning of another chapter of medical school..... This is what makes life great(sorry, got a little philosophical)

Well you scored higher than me on nbme's and I'm sure you did fine if you were scoring in the 240-250 range. It sucks waiting so long for a score and there is nothing i can do about it at this point. I know i studied hard, I felt pretty good, and in the end it will all be ok. If i score low then my future will have a different course than I am currently planning. If I score high then my options will open up. The waiting, the second guessing, the hard work, and soon the end result and the beginning of another chapter of medical school..... This is what makes life great(sorry, got a little philosophical)

Dayum bro. Gettin all deep

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yeah IMGs use ECFMG website and some will get it around 8:30am. Rest around 11am and 1pm.
This probably only applies to IMG based on what I've seen , no? They use a different website than us for step. I think US students get their scores at 11am sharp.[/QUOT

I've been on this thread for a really really long time. I'm glad to say I've made it to the other side successfully. I passed.

~230 not the greatest score but I'm damn proud of it from where I came from. +15 point improvement from my last NBME. And average NBME was around 200s. Will do a write up later. If I can do this anyone can.

Reactions: 16 users
I've been on this thread for a really really long time. I'm glad to say I've made it to the other side successfully. I passed.

~230 not the greatest score but I'm damn proud of it from where I came from. +15 point improvement from my last NBME. And average NBME was around 200s. Will do a write up later. If I can do this anyone can.
Congrats man

Congrats!

That's amazing! Of course you should be proud. Congratsss!!!!!

You have no idea how happy I am for you.. That's an insane improvement.. I wish I could do the same but at least one of us did! I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your journey

You have no idea how happy I am for you.. That's an insane improvement.. I wish I could do the same but at least one of us did! I wish you the best of luck in the rest of your journey
Thank you very much. Wish you the best of luck.