USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
I've noticed this on uworld. I second guess myself. My last block would've went from a 57% to an 80% if I just followed my gut
Yeah, it's frustrating. I just missed 3-4 questions in my block because I reasoned myself out of the right answer.

Reactions: 1 user
Good luck to everyone getting scores today! I live on the east coast and got my email at 7:57am, I was scared to look. Made my mum do it at 8:45am, she was shaking haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck to everyone getting scores today! I live on the east coast and got my email at 7:57am, I was scared to look. Made my mum do it at 8:45am, she was shaking haha

I had a dream about getting my scores back. I felt relief while dreaming because I thought the wait was over. Then the alarm went off. :meh:

I had a dream about getting my scores back. I felt relief while dreaming because I thought the wait was over. Then the alarm went off. :meh:

Same here... Multiple dreams of getting my score back. Why do they have to torture us like thisss

Reactions: 1 users
Same here... Multiple dreams of getting my score back. Why do they have to torture us like thisss

OMG! I am on the same page. First time posting here. I took the Step 1, March 7th and a lot of ppl told me that I would get my scores today, couldn't sleep yesterday because of the constant worrying. I have no idea how good or bad I did. I didn't take an NBME prioir to the test because I didn't want to feel bad if I didn't get a good score. I took the UWSA though, got 245 in one a 202 in the 2nd one. Made silly mistakes, I guess I was just tired. Please post if you got your results.

PD: I am an IMG yog 2014

OMG! I am on the same page. First time posting here. I took the Step 1, March 7th and a lot of ppl told me that I would get my scores today, couldn't sleep yesterday because of the constant worrying. I have no idea how good or bad I did. I didn't take an NBME prioir to the test because I didn't want to feel bad if I didn't get a good score. I took the UWSA though, got 245 in one a 202 in the 2nd one. Made silly mistakes, I guess I was just tired. Please post if you got your results.

PD: I am an IMG yog 2014

I also took the exam on March 7th. I thought we'd get the scores back on March 29. Did you get yours back?

I took mine Mar 3, and got my score back just right now! Check to see if your permit disappeared. If it disappeared, that means you should get your score.

I also took the exam on March 7th. I thought we'd get the scores back on March 29. Did you get yours back?

No, I didn't. My sister said it would be 3 Wednesdays from the day you took the test. So today would be the 3rd but it makes more sense to receive them next Wednesday.

No, I didn't. My sister said it would be 3 Wednesdays from the day you took the test. So today would be the 3rd but it makes more sense to receive them next Wednesday.
first wednesday doesnt count because its the same week, should have come to us earlier. Its march 29th

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you liked the score you saw! It's the craziest adrenaline rush I've ever felt.

My adrenaline gets pumping just thinking about it. I remember just being in a haze when I got my MCAT score back because I went into the exam thinking I'd get like low 20s and have to retake and was shocked when I saw my score.

first wednesday doesnt count because its the same week, should have come to us earlier. Its march 29th

I know, but she had her scores within 2 weeks, looks like they counted that Wednesday as the 1st one. Still, I should have know better, I basically didn't sleep all night thinking about it.

I don't know about you guys but I didn't do so good in the NBMEs like 2 months before the test so I decided not to take one right before the test day. I got a good score on the UWSA1 (245) a week before the test and was in the 70-80% in the Uworld Qbank, also scored 87% in the Free150.

Real Thing was rough, 1st block was the hardest one, I flagged almost 50% of the answers but knowing myself I flag almost anything I am not 100% sure so I can review later. The other blocks were OK, some easy questions, some I had never seen before and I also used every single minute I had on each block.

I have no idea how good/bad I did. The wait is killing me.

Hi everybody! I'm a UNM student who loved looking at this thread before taking Step 1, and wanted to share my experiences:

CBSE- 222- (6 weeks out, given by the school)
UWSA 1- 254 (three weeks before test)
UWSA 2- 245 (two weeks out)
NBME 16- 228 (Three weeks out)
NBME15- 236 (2 weeks out)

UWorld- Only random, timed. Started in the mid sixties average, moved up to averaging about 76% on the 15 or so blocks before the test- cumulative was 70%. Finished 85% of it, did a few blocks of incorrect towards the end, weak-subject specific (Neuro and anatomy)

Kaplan, USMLE-Rx-- Used sporadically, if I would have studied more I would have made sure to finish them. Found them both much less satisfying and more spotty than using UWorld. Would recommend doing most of these as timed, subject specific during Phase 1, then using just UWorld for random in the six weeks or so before the exam.

First Aid- Only study resource I used besides the Q-banks, found the depth just perfect. From my perspective, I would say use a hard copy and mark it up; I'm pretty sure the science says being able to visualized where something is on a page and what is around it gives it more context, and perhaps an easier time recalling/ using the data to rule out answers. (I say this for people who use an E-version with a text search function - if you have a hardcopy you should probably know it well enough that you don't need to look things up in the index, and you can find them easily. Enough pontificating on the merits of paper).

Step 1 - 253 :)

Thoughts: As you can see, much better than might have been predicted (just as I was hoping for- phew!). Personal opinion: I loved the questions on UWorld, and found the exam to be nearly identical in terms of question stem length and integration of knowledge required (I would hazard a guess that the average for Step 1 might be in the low 70s percentage-wise, considerably higher than UW's low 60s, but much harder than the NBMEs with averages in the low 80s). There was a TON of critical thinking required/ able to be used. I keep my studying pretty mellow due to family time constraints, mostly 3 hrs/day x 4 weeks, and so my knowledge of FA was not super strong, but I found this hindered me hardly at all on the real test. Reasoning and understanding were far more important than details. It felt like I was able to think through almost every question to arrive at an answer. From my viewpoint, this made the actual test FAR superior to the NBMEs, which are fairly easy, but with some factoid questions that threw me off (not to mention a super steep curve on the right side, with above a raw 90% required to break 240, or whatever). In light of this integration and thought required, I never finished a block with more than three minutes left, versus my usual 15 on UW. When the Board changed the time per question to 90s to more adequately assess reasoning, they really achieved their goal! I left the exam feeling like it had been written for me, in terms of pushing me right to the limit of what I could handle but not beyond.

Bottom line- If you have always been an strong test taker (e.g., SATs 1500s, MCAT high 30s, medical school studying quite relaxed and non-time-intensive, etc), this test should play to your strengths, and leave you higher than predicted. [Our school's academic support office swears by the NBMEs as the best predictors, but I found then very lacking in terms of format, challenge and score. UWSAs are where it is at!] If you have trouble with tests, I would really pay attention to the advice that time may prove to be an issue, and do all three q-banks on timed, random, as fast as you can. (I am also a believer in the power of increasing your brain power with reading- lots of dense philosophy, keeping up with the news, fiction etc. The more reading the better).

Best of luck to everyone! May you find your real score is right where you would have hoped!!

Reactions: 14 users
@Papa_NM Thank you so much for posting your experience. I admit I laughed so hard when I read the "SATs 1500s" part... that got to me and brought back memories haha. Looks like you had a fair exam, but with such an amazing score you must have been prepared no matter what. Congrats!

Congratulations @Papa_NM

Ok, being honest here, I've secretly been comparing recent UWorld averages and actual test day scores of whoever posts on SDN. This chart, though it's only a rough correlation, and there are no guarantees, has actually done a great job of predicting scores:

USMLE SCORE CORRELATION

I.e. a 70% predicts 250.

You're not the first here to note the discrepancy between your NBMEs and your actual test day.

Congratulations again.

Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations @Papa_NM

Ok, being honest here, I've secretly been comparing recent UWorld averages and actual test day scores of whoever posts on SDN. This chart, though it's only a rough correlation, and there are no guarantees, has actually done a great job of predicting scores:

USMLE SCORE CORRELATION

I.e. a 70% predicts 250.

You're not the first here to note the discrepancy between your NBMEs and your actual test day.

Congratulations again.
I don't want to devalue this correlation because I constantly compare myself to it, but I think using the metric as a gauge of your understanding and prediction of score is only going to scare the **** out of people still studying. When I was using it as a predictor, I was getting 50%s and was terrified it meant I was going to get a 200 or whatever the percent correlates to. And I was using it on subject based, untimed tutor. After disregarding it, my scores have shot up and I'm averaging a 63% on the past few blocks. It truly just depends on how you study. I know people with mid 50% scores with 260+ on the real thing. While I think it's safe to say a 70% average is going to get you a high score, I don't think a low score like a 50% dooms you to barely passing.

I don't want to devalue this correlation because I constantly compare myself to it, but I think using the metric as a gauge of your understanding and prediction of score is only going to scare the **** out of people still studying. When I was using it as a predictor, I was getting 50%s and was terrified it meant I was going to get a 200 or whatever the percent correlates to. And I was using it on subject based, untimed tutor. After disregarding it, my scores have shot up and I'm averaging a 63% on the past few blocks. It truly just depends on how you study. I know people with mid 50% scores with 260+ on the real thing. While I think it's safe to say a 70% average is going to get you a high score, I don't think a low score like a 50% dooms you to barely passing.

Good point. The most important thing to remember is that UWorld is a learning tool.

Reactions: 2 users
I know, but she had her scores within 2 weeks, looks like they counted that Wednesday as the 1st one. Still, I should have know better, I basically didn't sleep all night thinking about it.

I don't know about you guys but I didn't do so good in the NBMEs like 2 months before the test so I decided not to take one right before the test day. I got a good score on the UWSA1 (245) a week before the test and was in the 70-80% in the Uworld Qbank, also scored 87% in the Free150.

Real Thing was rough, 1st block was the hardest one, I flagged almost 50% of the answers but knowing myself I flag almost anything I am not 100% sure so I can review later. The other blocks were OK, some easy questions, some I had never seen before and I also used every single minute I had on each block.

I have no idea how good/bad I did. The wait is killing me.
whats your goal score?

Hi everybody! I'm a UNM student who loved looking at this thread before taking Step 1, and wanted to share my experiences:

CBSE- 222- (6 weeks out, given by the school)
UWSA 1- 254 (three weeks before test)
UWSA 2- 245 (two weeks out)
NBME 16- 228 (Three weeks out)
NBME15- 236 (2 weeks out)

UWorld- Only random, timed. Started in the mid sixties average, moved up to averaging about 76% on the 15 or so blocks before the test- cumulative was 70%. Finished 85% of it, did a few blocks of incorrect towards the end, weak-subject specific (Neuro and anatomy)

Kaplan, USMLE-Rx-- Used sporadically, if I would have studied more I would have made sure to finish them. Found them both much less satisfying and more spotty than using UWorld. Would recommend doing most of these as timed, subject specific during Phase 1, then using just UWorld for random in the six weeks or so before the exam.

First Aid- Only study resource I used besides the Q-banks, found the depth just perfect. From my perspective, I would say use a hard copy and mark it up; I'm pretty sure the science says being able to visualized where something is on a page and what is around it gives it more context, and perhaps an easier time recalling/ using the data to rule out answers. (I say this for people who use an E-version with a text search function - if you have a hardcopy you should probably know it well enough that you don't need to look things up in the index, and you can find them easily. Enough pontificating on the merits of paper).

Step 1 - 253 :)

Thoughts: As you can see, much better than might have been predicted (just as I was hoping for- phew!). Personal opinion: I loved the questions on UWorld, and found the exam to be nearly identical in terms of question stem length and integration of knowledge required (I would hazard a guess that the average for Step 1 might be in the low 70s percentage-wise, considerably higher than UW's low 60s, but much harder than the NBMEs with averages in the low 80s). There was a TON of critical thinking required/ able to be used. I keep my studying pretty mellow due to family time constraints, mostly 3 hrs/day x 4 weeks, and so my knowledge of FA was not super strong, but I found this hindered me hardly at all on the real test. Reasoning and understanding were far more important than details. It felt like I was able to think through almost every question to arrive at an answer. From my viewpoint, this made the actual test FAR superior to the NBMEs, which are fairly easy, but with some factoid questions that threw me off (not to mention a super steep curve on the right side, with above a raw 90% required to break 240, or whatever). In light of this integration and thought required, I never finished a block with more than three minutes left, versus my usual 15 on UW. When the Board changed the time per question to 90s to more adequately assess reasoning, they really achieved their goal! I left the exam feeling like it had been written for me, in terms of pushing me right to the limit of what I could handle but not beyond.

Bottom line- If you have always been an strong test taker (e.g., SATs 1500s, MCAT high 30s, medical school studying quite relaxed and non-time-intensive, etc), this test should play to your strengths, and leave you higher than predicted. [Our school's academic support office swears by the NBMEs as the best predictors, but I found then very lacking in terms of format, challenge and score. UWSAs are where it is at!] If you have trouble with tests, I would really pay attention to the advice that time may prove to be an issue, and do all three q-banks on timed, random, as fast as you can. (I am also a believer in the power of increasing your brain power with reading- lots of dense philosophy, keeping up with the news, fiction etc. The more reading the better).

Best of luck to everyone! May you find your real score is right where you would have hoped!!
congrats on a killer score!!! what a nice jump from your last nbme. Definitely seeing a trend with uworld % and step score over nbmes lately!!

I always thought uworld assessment overpredicted 10-15 points but mine underpredicted as well, maybe they changed there grading?

Good point. The most important thing to remember is that UWorld is a learning tool.
I think it can also be used as just a timing and practice tool, if you used other methods of learning.

I dont think 50% is end of world on timed and random, however if your percent doesnt start to go up as you learn over a few weeks. something isnt right.

with the scores you mentioned I dont think its gonna be an issue at all! wish you all the best next week!

Thanks for your good wishes! I just keep thinking in those NBMEs I took 2 months before the test. Even though I felt like I had come a long way after taking them, I'm still anxious about the score.

Hello,
I wanted to see what you guys think about taking a practice exam after the last exam of second year. I finish this school year at the end of this week and was debating on taking a test for baseline on saturday or monday. I feel like monday would be the best bet so i can relax somewhat before taking the baseline since ill be exhausted from exams.
however if i do take the baseline on monday I will be doing questions and watching pathoma and sketchy the days prior.

any thoughts?

Hello,
I wanted to see what you guys think about taking a practice exam after the last exam of second year. I finish this school year at the end of this week and was debating on taking a test for baseline on saturday or monday. I feel like monday would be the best bet so i can relax somewhat before taking the baseline since ill be exhausted from exams.
however if i do take the baseline on monday I will be doing questions and watching pathoma and sketchy the days prior.

any thoughts?
Highly recommend taking a baseline NBME to see where you stand -- where your weaknesses are so you can emphasize those areas.
Really doesn't matter which of those days you take it. Being more rested is important as that should actually be your baseline so Monday might be best.

Thanks for your good wishes! I just keep thinking in those NBMEs I took 2 months before the test. Even though I felt like I had come a long way after taking them, I'm still anxious about the score.
what was your nbme score 2 months before? 2 months is a ton of time. if your uworld, uw exam, free120 were that solid, screw the nbme. 2 months before i had an nbme as low as 203 on 17, that was a big outlier

what was your nbme score 2 months before? 2 months is a ton of time. if your uworld, uw exam, free120 were that solid, screw the nbme. 2 months before i had an nbme as low as 203 on 17, that was a big outlier
Good to know. Plan on taking NBME 15 this weekend. Hoping to shoot for 40-50 points above that. Taking the exam 2 months from Saturday.

Good to know. Plan on taking NBME 15 this weekend. Hoping to shoot for 40-50 points above that. Taking the exam 2 months from Saturday.
I hope you kill it!

on a side note, I just want this step stuff to be over with and move to the next phase of applying for 2018 match. Its getting very exciting. so far im thinking IM/Rads/EM/surgery (i know i need to lower the amt)

IM opens the way to EM as well, which i would rather do first so i have more choices.

I hope you kill it!

on a side note, I just want this step stuff to be over with and move to the next phase of applying for 2018 match. Its getting very exciting. so far im thinking IM/Rads/EM/surgery (i know i need to lower the amt)

IM opens the way to EM as well, which i would rather do first so i have more choices.
Go Rads!!! But I'm biased since I have family in rads administration.

It was 202 on NBME 18. And just before I took the real thing they came out with the NBME 19 but I decided not to do it. I didn't want to mess with my self confidence. Still, I cannot get that number out of my head, since they say NBMEs are the most predictive... I hope at least a 225 score.

It was 202 on NBME 18. And just before I took the real thing they came out with the NBME 19 but I decided not to do it. I didn't want to mess with my self confidence. Still, I cannot get that number out of my head, since they say NBMEs are the most predictive... I hope at least a 225 score.
it was taken so long ago, I wouldnt consider it predictive at all. People go up 40 points in 2 months!

it was taken so long ago, I wouldnt consider it predictive at all. People go up 40 points in 2 months!

I truly hope so! After that score I did Uworld ALL the incorrects, FA again and then the UWSAs. When I had nothing left to study and couldn't find a closer test date I started doing uworld blocks in random mode untimed/timed just to keep my mind active.

Like I said, a 225 will do it for me. I am not crazy about any of those competitive specialties like surgery or derm.

Now I'm really rooting for you to score >255;)

But seriously, Lana is so underrated. I love all her albums. She's shy in public. Not you typical bubble gum, Walmart pop bimbo like Katy Perry. She's... sweet.

Hey everyone! I need some advice from you guys. So I will be taking my USMLE in early June and I just started doing 40 Qs block a day from Uworld few days ago. I have not started my dedicated study (reading first aid) yet. I have been getting around 45-50% on these blocks and it takes me about 7-8 hours (~10 minutes for each question) just to read all explanations. I am kind of worried since I think I am taking way more time than I should to read the block. my goal is to review each block within 3-4 hours but I don't know how? do you think my review will be quick once I start studying FA?

Hey everyone! I need some advice from you guys. So I will be taking my USMLE in early June and I just started doing 40 Qs block a day from Uworld few days ago. I have not started my dedicated study (reading first aid) yet. I have been getting around 45-50% on these blocks and it takes me about 7-8 hours (~10 minutes for each question) just to read all explanations. I am kind of worried since I think I am taking way more time than I should to read the block. my goal is to review each block within 3-4 hours but I don't know how? do you think my review will be quick once I start studying FA?
It'll get faster as you do more UW. Do it with FA and Pathoma alongside it.
You'll eventually see more and more familiar material, you'll find yourself spending less time getting bogged down by things you already know and you'll figure out how to learn from each question efficiently.
I took ~10min per question at first too. It takes me 3 hours per block now.

Anybody suffer serious burnout in the last days of their prep? I've barely managed to study during the last 2 days. 5 days to go, and I would've thought this close to the exam I'd be studying harder than ever before. Its been the reverse, though. All my NBMEs have been comfortably above 260, managed 276 on UWSA2 and 710 on NBME 18, but I can say with absolute certainty I don't know everything in FA. Theres still stuff I feel I need to go over. I've pretty much been reorganizing my schedule for the last couple of weeks (I'm not the sort of guy who can blast through 100 pages of FA/day). Its just...a really uneasy feeling I have, that I'm going to forget stuff I studied a month ago.

Wondering if other people this close to the exam actually slow down instead of the other way around, and how to deal with it!

Anybody suffer serious burnout in the last days of their prep? I've barely managed to study during the last 2 days. 5 days to go, and I would've thought this close to the exam I'd be studying harder than ever before. Its been the reverse, though. All my NBMEs have been comfortably above 260, managed 276 on UWSA2 and 710 on NBME 18, but I can say with absolute certainty I don't know everything in FA. Theres still stuff I feel I need to go over. I've pretty much been reorganizing my schedule for the last couple of weeks (I'm not the sort of guy who can blast through 100 pages of FA/day). Its just...a really uneasy feeling I have, that I'm going to forget stuff I studied a month ago.

Wondering if other people this close to the exam actually slow down instead of the other way around, and how to deal with it!
If you're comfortably above 260 then who cares? I'm completely envious. But yes I feel like I'm burning out and I still have 8 weeks to go.

Come on, bruh. You're fine. You clearly have an extensive knowledge base despite "not knowing everything in FA", and you have the critical thinking/test-taking skills to boot.
Are you shooting for 270+? If so, you'll want to look up specific threads in this sub and message people directly because it's so rare.

To perform at that level, you know FA as well as it can or should be known. Pace yourself, get yourself in a good mental place. Trust what you have learned. At this point, it's about being fresh and energized on test-day.

what was your average in UWorld and number of incorrects in practice exams?

UW was 91% random, timed. Kaplan --> FA --> FA again --> UW.

NBMEs 13-17 were all done offline ($ issue, I'm an IMG and this exam is so expensive):

NBME 13: 194/200
NBME 15: 192/200
NBME 16: 196/200
NBME 17: 195/200
NBME 18 was done online: 710/271 (194/200)

UWSA2 was 153/160 (277)
Free 120: 117/120

I will tell you this in all honestly though, I don't think my preparation is where I want it to be. I think the scope of this exam is so great, and the pressure so overbearing, its probably not possible to feel 100% ready.

UW was 91% random, timed. Kaplan --> FA --> FA again --> UW.

NBMEs 13-17 were all done offline ($ issue, I'm an IMG and this exam is so expensive):

NBME 13: 194/200
NBME 15: 192/200
NBME 16: 196/200
NBME 17: 195/200
NBME 18 was done online: 710/271 (194/200)

UWSA2 was 153/160 (277)
Free 120: 117/120

I will tell you this in all honestly though, I don't think my preparation is where I want it to be. I think the scope of this exam is so great, and the pressure so overbearing, its probably not possible to feel 100% ready.

Can you explain the kaplan tomFA to F thing?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

I read Kaplan first, then read all of First Aid, then read First Aid a second time, then started UW.