USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
No, after 2x FA I did UW, then started going over FA again and would do an NBME whenever I didn't feel like studying FA. ie my NBMEs didn't have fixed time intervals between them since they were dictated by my mood (eg I took 16 and 17 on two consecutive days).

No, after 2x FA I did UW, then started going over FA again and would do an NBME whenever I didn't feel like studying FA. ie my NBMEs didn't have fixed time intervals between them since they were dictated by my mood (eg I took 16 and 17 on two consecutive days).
Gotcha. I should have clarified that I was asking about when in all of your studying you started doing NBMEs. So all of them were done sometime after Kaplan and first two passes of FA, correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
And after UW as well. So basically kaplan --> FA first time --> FA second time --> UW --> FA + NBMEs.

Np, I decided to take the day off lol. Going to sleep soon and then back to studies for the final stretch!

hey guys.. here is the schedule I made and used last summer when studying for my Step 1 (based on FA 2016). started out at 183, scored 233 six weeks later. Good luck!

Attachments

• STEP_FINAL.pdf
    31 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone felt like they keep forgetting things but their UWorld score keeps going up? I am averaging around a 63% these past 4 blocks but I feel like I keep forgetting things and I am just better able to eliminate other answer choices. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.

Has anyone felt like they keep forgetting things but their UWorld score keeps going up? I am averaging around a 63% these past 4 blocks but I feel like I keep forgetting things and I am just better able to eliminate other answer choices. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.
I'm with you on the feeling like I'm forgetting information. My UW average is going up but I'm also fluctuating like crazy. My last 6 full blocks: 78%, 63%, 83%, 65%, 85%, 63%. No joke. So frustrating. Though the lower % had more psych on them, I think. And I hate psych.

hey guys.. here is the schedule I made and used last summer when studying for my Step 1 (based on FA 2016). started out at 183, scored 233 six weeks later. Good luck!

Encouraging to see your UWSA's correlated pretty well. I'm 1.5 months out and have scored 227 an 238 on the UWSAs. Hopefully they don't over predict for me.

Right now the UWorld average on the site is 56%. Is that inflated by people doing their second pass of UWorld or does the % only count first pass?

Props to those of you averaging 65% and above on your UW blocks, especially if you're doing them timed and without looking up any answers. I just started UW and found the biggest challenge to be feeling 100% that you got the question right. I really have to work on going with my gut feeling because I've found myself overthinking the answer choices into choosing the wrong answer. It's great at exposing what you "think" you know well with what you really know though.

Also, for anyone thinking of using Physeo for a physiology review, I highly recommend it. The videos are somewhat long but it covers a lot of high yield concepts.

Reactions: 1 users

My classmates and I made a music video for the matching ceremony last week. Just some musical encouragement for everyone taking Step 1!

Right now the UWorld average on the site is 56%. Is that inflated by people doing their second pass of UWorld or does the % only count first pass?

Props to those of you averaging 65% and above on your UW blocks, especially if you're doing them timed and without looking up any answers. I just started UW and found the biggest challenge to be feeling 100% that you got the question right. I really have to work on going with my gut feeling because I've found myself overthinking the answer choices into choosing the wrong answer. It's great at exposing what you "think" you know well with what you really know though.

Also, for anyone thinking of using Physeo for a physiology review, I highly recommend it. The videos are somewhat long but it covers a lot of high yield concepts.

Definitely agree about Physeo, especially now that they have everything except Musculoskeletal & General Principles. The clinical examples sprinkled throughout really help solidify what he talks about.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Got a 256. I changed my answers on 5 of them to the wrong ones so may have gotten in the 260s if I hadn't done that. But still very, very happy with my score :).

I used FA, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, and subject review books specific to behavioral science, physiology, biochemistry, and anatomy. I went through UWorld in its entirety twice and did both practice tests. I did all of the available NBMEs, and this definitely helped.

If I could redo the way I studied, I would have gone over FA way more and much earlier. I would have taken more notes in UWorld on the questions I missed and also not worry about some of the questions that were way too detailed and specific. I would have gone over Sketchy Pharm a bit more and reviewed it more a couple days before the test. I did this with Sketchy Micro, and it paid off. I would have not used my anatomy review book and just used the high yield stuff from FA and also from my actual anatomy class with an emphasis on clinical correlation. Pathoma didn't pay off as much as I would have liked, but it was still worth it.

One of my strategies was to not lose for sure points. For me, this meant nailing all of the behavioral sciences/biostats questions and to know sketchy micro/pharm 100%. My review book for behavioral science worked well. I pretty much knew sketchy micro 100% and this paid off, and I think I would have scored higher if I had known sketchypharm 100%. I don't think the questions in these categories are generally hard, but they are also usually ones you know them or you don't.

My NBMES predicted from 250s-260s, so they were pretty accurate. My UWorlds predicted in the 270s and 260s, so they over predicted.

Reactions: 11 users
Got a 256. I changed my answers on 5 of them to the wrong ones so may have gotten in the 260s if I hadn't done that. But still very, very happy with my score :).

I used FA, Pathoma, Sketchy Micro/Pharm, and subject review books specific to behavioral science, physiology, biochemistry, and anatomy. I went through UWorld in its entirety twice and did both practice tests. I did all of the available NBMEs, and this definitely helped.

If I could redo the way I studied, I would have gone over FA way more and much earlier. I would have taken more notes in UWorld on the questions I missed and also not worry about some of the questions that were way too detailed and specific. I would have gone over Sketchy Pharm a bit more and reviewed it more a couple days before the test. I did this with Sketchy Micro, and it paid off. I would have not used my anatomy review book and just used the high yield stuff from FA and also from my actual anatomy class with an emphasis on clinical correlation. Pathoma didn't pay off as much as I would have liked, but it was still worth it.

One of my strategies was to not lose for sure points. For me, this meant nailing all of the behavioral sciences/biostats questions and to know sketchy micro/pharm 100%. My review book for behavioral science worked well. I pretty much knew sketchy micro 100% and this paid off, and I think I would have scored higher if I had known sketchypharm 100%. I don't think the questions in these categories are generally hard, but they are also usually ones you know them or you don't.

My NBMES predicted from 250s-260s, so they were pretty accurate. My UWorlds predicted in the 270s and 260s, so they over predicted.

Congratulations on a great score. What was the specific review book you used for behavioral science? Do you think it was worth it or does FA cover all the necessary information? Also, what were your UW Qbank percentages? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Congratulations on a great score. What was the specific review book you used for behavioral science? Do you think it was worth it or does FA cover all the necessary information? Also, what were your UW Qbank percentages? Thanks!

I used Board Review Series - Behavioral Science. The last three chapters are the highest yield. I didn't read some of the sections, especially since I was strong on psych. I do think FA is very weak in behavioral science overall. I found it particularly helpful to really learn and understand the biostatistic and ethics questions from UWorld. Personally I feel behavioral science is higher yield than people give it credit, and I feel that too many people blow it off when they can be easy points otherwise. My UWorld percentage the first go around was like 68% and like 88% the second go around.

Reactions: 1 user

Congrats on the awesome score! When did you start studying for boards? When you say you would have started FA earlier, how early do you mean?

I used Board Review Series - Behavioral Science. The last three chapters are the highest yield. I didn't read some of the sections, especially since I was strong on psych. I do think FA is very weak in behavioral science overall. I found it particularly helpful to really learn and understand the biostatistic and ethics questions from UWorld. Personally I feel behavioral science is higher yield than people give it credit, and I feel that too many people blow it off when they can be easy points otherwise. My UWorld percentage the first go around was like 68% and like 88% the second go around.
How did you get your psych down? Solid school curriculum? Or outside resources?

Congrats on the awesome score! When did you start studying for boards? When you say you would have started FA earlier, how early do you mean?

To be totally honest, I dabbled a bit last summer and in the fall, but I didn't really start studying until December and took the exam in late Feb. The biggest difference I would have made was to use FA as an aid (haha see what I did there) throughout regular class and then continuously review the topics that were covered in class. I definitely focused more on my classes more so than my classmates because I thought they were pretty decent and actually did help prepare me. I used SketchyMicro for my micro class and then just kept reviewing it, and I used Sketchy Pharm once it came out throughout my program. Those two you definitely can't start with only 2 months left and have to start them early if you want to know them 100% (especially Sketchy Pharm).

How did you get your psych down? Solid school curriculum? Or outside resources?

I have a BA and MA in psych so yeah..... sorry can't help you out much there. But maybe an UPDATED (with DSMV) abnormal psychology textbook to cross reference when you are confused could be helpful. That Board Review Book Behavioral Science also had a lot of good psych chapters; I just skipped most of those.

I have a BA and MA in psych so yeah..... sorry can't help you out much there. But maybe an UPDATED (with DSMV) abnormal psychology textbook to cross reference when you are confused could be helpful. That Board Review Book Behavioral Science also had a lot of good psych chapters; I just skipped most of those.
Ahh gotcha. Thanks and congrats on the amazing score!

Got my score this week as well. Fell short of my goal but am relieved because I came out of it feeling like I screwed up hard. Didn't sleep well the night before, psyched myself out on an early experimental q, was overall a mess and cried in my car afterwards. Because of all the mistakes I made on exam day (I estimate about 20 questions where I panicked and changed to the wrong answer, which has always been my biggest hurdle in taking tests), I feel like I should have gotten a higher score with my level of preparation and knowledge base, if only I could've pulled myself together. Propranolol for CK for sure...

My school advisor almost scoffed when I said I wanted 250. Here are my practice and real scores. NBMEs were taken about a week apart. I hope it helps someone.

School CBSE 170
NBME 12 before dedicated 184
NBME 15 215
NBME 13 209
NBME 16 221
NBME 18 209
NBME 17 244

Frankly I was ready to test on the day I took NBME 17, so the week leading up to my actual exam date gave me a lot of anxiety and probably did more harm than good. I felt like I stopped studying productively and started to forget more than I could retain.

Step 1 247

My advice? Trust your gut. Mark the answer. Never look back.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Got my score this week as well. Fell short of my goal but am relieved because I came out of it feeling like I screwed up hard. Didn't sleep well the night before, psyched myself out on an early experimental q, was overall a mess and cried in my car afterwards. Because of all the mistakes I made on exam day (I estimate about 20 questions where I panicked and changed to the wrong answer, which has always been my biggest hurdle in taking tests), I feel like I should have gotten a higher score with my level of preparation and knowledge base, if only I could've pulled myself together. Propranolol for CK for sure...

My school advisor almost scoffed when I said I wanted 250. Here are my practice and real scores. NBMEs were taken about a week apart. I hope it helps someone.

School CBSE 170
NBME 15 215
NBME 13 209
NBME 16 221
NBME 18 209
NBME 17 244

Frankly I was ready to test on the day I took NBME 17, so the week leading up to my actual exam date gave me a lot of anxiety and probably did more harm than good. I felt like I stopped studying productively and started to forget more than I could retain.

Step 1 247

Congrats bruhhh. You killed it.

And I hear you on trusting the gut. Need to practice this more.

Congrats bruhhh. You killed it.

And I hear you on trusting the gut. Need to practice this more.
Thanks!

And yeah, don't be like me. I'm pretty sure Prometric has me on record during every break yelling at FA in my locker: "STOP FCKING CHANGING YOUR ANSWER!!" :)

Reactions: 2 users
60% through Uworld first past with a 50% correct rate. I am trying to do 400 or so questions a week just to finish the Qbank, make Anki cards, and identify weak areas.

My exam is 2nd week of June.

I'm mainly going from my knowledge from my curriculum lectures and Pathoma at this point. I can't say I've read much of FA (don't understand how to learn from it). I plan to do Brosencephalon at some point, but that's 14,000 cards!

I was thinking of using the USMLE content outline with review books like BRS and Lippincott to systematically go through and plug gaps in my knowledge. The issue is I have classes for the next month.

Does anyone who is closer to their exam date have any suggestions on how to optimize my studying from here on out, I'd like to be as efficient as possible?

Thanks!

And yeah, don't be like me. I'm pretty sure Prometric has me on record during every break yelling at FA in my locker: "STOP FCKING CHANGING YOUR ANSWER!!" :)
Can't tell you how relieved I am to see this post. This was me exactly (estimate 15 I changed to wrong answer). Glad to see it worked out, I get mine back in 1.5 weeks

my test was on 14th ,
NBME 17 - 244 (18 mistakes)
NBME 18- 244 (25 mistakes)
NBME 19- 248 (15 mistakes)
UWSA 1- 264
UWSA 2 - 260

after the actual exam , i felt it was easier than 18 and 19 in a way , i feel i may have made 5-6 mistakes per block. Everyday i keep browsing forums , reading experiences , correlating scores and it drives me nuts i have to wait so many days !!+pissed+
Any predictions based on my wrong count ? Thank you :help:

my test was on 14th ,
UWSA 1- 264
UWSA 2 - 260

after the actual exam , i felt it was easier than 18 and 19 in a way , i feel i may have made 5-6 mistakes per block. Everyday i keep browsing forums , reading experiences , correlating scores and it drives me nuts i have to wait so many days !!+pissed+

You will pass :smuggrin:
P.S. 250 +/-10

Does anyone know if UWSA curve has been fixed? And do the answers come with Explanations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Does anyone know if UWSA curve has been fixed? And do the answers come with Explanations? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app
I heard they were fixed. Then I got 15 points higher on them than my last NBME. We'll see on Wednesday.

my test was on 14th ,
UWSA 1- 264
UWSA 2 - 260

I think we're in the same boat. Similar scores, and similar test experience. There were definitely 4-5 wtf questions in each block. The wait is killer. My heart will stop when I open the score report.

Hey guys, should I take NBME 18 today? I have 2 days left and I'm flipping through FA and obviously panicking and feel like I need to read it over and over again. I took UWSA1 yesterday and wasted a day just on that ugh. Stressed the hell out over here.

Hey guys, should I take NBME 18 today? I have 2 days left and I'm flipping through FA and obviously panicking and feel like I need to read it over and over again. I took UWSA1 yesterday and wasted a day just on that ugh. Stressed the hell out over here.

I would take it. Don't worry about your score on it too much, just concentrate on understanding the style of questions, and how to eliminate answer choices.

I honestly think part of the reason people do so well on UWSAs is because we go over 2400+ questions from UWorld for a month straight. No doubt we become good at answering questions from them. If there was a 2400+ Qbank from NBME that would be gold. But individual NBMEs are the next best thing. Get extended feedback so you can go over your incorrects.

After that, relax. Get yourself energized and in the right mindset for test day.

I would take it. Don't worry about your score on it too much, just concentrate on understanding the style of questions, and how to eliminate answer choices.

I honestly think part of the reason people do so well on UWSAs is because we go over 2400+ questions from UWorld for a month straight. No doubt we become good at answering questions from them. If there was a 2400+ Qbank from NBME that would be gold. But individual NBMEs are the next best thing. Get extended feedback so you can go over your incorrects.

After that, relax. Get yourself energized and in the right mindset for test day.
Isn't there 200 Q per NBME? With 7 online NBMEs and several offline, I'd say there's probably 1800 relevant questions at least.

Isn't there 200 Q per NBME? With 7 online NBMEs and several offline, I'd say there's probably 1800 relevant questions at least.
Yeah. I think people should be taking more NBMEs for this reason. I would wager the average student, not SDN only, only takes 3 of those.

What would be amazing is a NBME Qbank with full explanations like UWorld etc.

I got a 245 on uwsa 1. Should I be worried. I heard uwsa overestimate.
Yes, you should be very worried. It's probably actually closer to 200.

I'm only kidding. Are you shooting for 270 or something? In general, I feel like people need to stop worrying so much about practice exams overestimating/underestimating. If it's actually spot on, are you going to start studying any less? Just keep studying hard, take regular practice exams, and cater to weak areas.

Reactions: 2 users
Well, I don't know if it's stress or what but I only scored a 221 on NBME 18. I thought it was difficult, but then again I'm super stressed today. I got a 249 on UWSA1 just yesterday, so as you can all see my scores are all over the place. I need to relax and believe in myself a little more ugh. Not sure what went wrong on this NBME, ...time to see all my careless mistakes.

Well, I don't know if it's stress or what but I only scored a 221 on NBME 18. I thought it was difficult, but then again I'm super stressed today. I got a 249 on UWSA1 just yesterday, so as you can all see my scores are all over the place. I need to relax and believe in myself a little more ugh. Not sure what went wrong on this NBME, ...time to see all my careless mistakes.
It's likely the stress. I'm guessing you were much calmer yesterday. NBMEs are much less forgiving than UWSA for careless mistakes so I wouldn't let today's score get to you.

Hopefully the stress from nbme 18 will help you be calm on the real deal. You were probabaly super stressed because you knew that the score on NbME 18 gave you is going to be close to the real deal especially taking it couple days before.

Are the NBMEs still accurate predictors? How is an 88% not considered an above average score? And a 70% not equal to even a passing score? Am I missing something here?

School CBSE 170
NBME 15 215
NBME 13 209
NBME 16 221
NBME 18 209
NBME 17 244

Step 1 247

**** ya dude! Love this post

Are the NBMEs still accurate predictors? How is an 88% not considered an above average score? And a 70% not equal to even a passing score? Am I missing something here?
I don't get what's difficult to understand? 88% is not considered above average because the average test taker is getting above an 88%

Step your game up little homie.

depends on the nbme difficulty.

passing 192 is usually around 67% and above average is usually above 79% if its "easy" you need a higher percent like nbme 17 or earlier nbmes. if its moderate to hard its gonna be around 67% to pass

which nbme said 88% is not above average? i find it hard to believe its not more than a 229

depends on the nbme difficulty.

passing 192 is usually around 67% and above average is usually above 79% if its "easy" you need a higher percent like nbme 17 or earlier nbmes. if its moderate to hard its gonna be around 67% to pass

which nbme said 88% is not above average? i find it hard to believe its not more than a 229

Maybe on step 1 when adjusting for other confounding variables like anxiety, 3 more blocks, exhaustion, etc...

Had a drop in NBME 16 to 246 from 255 on NBME 15; anyone have any advice on how to overcome the hurdle and really recognizing that sometimes, the obvious answer really is the obvious answer?!