USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Just so I am clear, it is well known that feeling like you know absolutely nothing the couple days before taking the test (probably due to study tapering) is pretty normal right? Lol trying not to go crazy before Monday :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
Just so I am clear, it is well known that feeling like you know absolutely nothing the couple days before taking the test (probably due to study tapering) is pretty normal right? Lol trying not to go crazy before Monday :nailbiting:

I feel like I know nothing as well....

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I have read s**t load of stuff. How do I revise now? i don't feel like revising. Please guys any suggestion??

Suggestions for what, bud? Suggestions for motivation or how to schedule your dedicated time?

4 weeks out: 225 (NBME 16), 256 (UWSA1) <--- baseline
3 weeks out: 232 (NBME 15) <---in the preceding week, I did some uworld questions - fairly lazy and non productive.
2 weeks out: 250 (NBME 18) <--- in the preceding week, I went crazy and completed most of uworld.
1 week out: 266 (UWSA2) <--- in the preceding week, I memorized all the uworld I had completed thus far.

I take it Monday. Any predictions on how it'll go? The only constant in my scores were big gains every week lol... Hoping I can at least beat my last NBME (250 on NBME 18 taken 2 weeks out)

4 weeks out: 225 (NBME 16), 256 (UWSA1) <--- baseline
3 weeks out: 232 (NBME 15) <---in the preceding week, I did some uworld questions - fairly lazy and non productive.
2 weeks out: 250 (NBME 18) <--- in the preceding week, I went crazy and completed most of uworld.
1 week out: 266 (UWSA2) <--- in the preceding week, I memorized all the uworld I had completed thus far.

I take it Monday. Any predictions on how it'll go? The only constant in my scores were big gains every week lol... Hoping I can at least beat my last NBME (250 on NBME 18 taken 2 weeks out)

Predication: well (-450)

Do you mean review?
Sorry! I meant that I have written notes from Uworld and read FA on and off. I want to go through them again. I would like to know how does everyone do it without being bored. I would like to get some suggestions to go through the notes again.

Sorry! I meant that I have written notes from Uworld and read FA on and off. I want to go through them again. I would like to know how does everyone do it without being bored. I would like to get some suggestions to go through the notes again.
It's super ridiculously boring and very difficult to stay focused for even a full day of it. I took my notes in the form of anki flashcards so that I could systematically memorize it all. If you have the time to convert your notes into anki cards, I recommend it. Best advice is to split your day up, with maybe 2-3 hrs of memorization/review followed by an hour of something more entertaining like watching sketchy or pathoma - alternate throughout the day. But in the end, you just have to suck it up and endure the boredom.

Reactions: 1 users
2 days to go. I've been on here for a long time. Can't believe it's actually happening. My NBME scores suck. My Free 120% also sucks. My scores are nowhere near the scores others are posting on here. However, I truly I feel I know much more than what's being tested on these practice exams. I'll be ready game day!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
2 days to go. I've been on here for a long time. Can't believe it's actually happening. My NBME scores suck. My Free 120% also sucks. My scores are nowhere near the scores others are posting on here. However, I truly I feel I know much more than what's being tested on these practice exams. I'll be ready game day!

You got this!! Best of luck to you!!

Well you have the right attitude! We are all behind ya!

Best wishes!

One method is to break up your notes so you can cover it all in 6 days. Then do a practice exam on the 7th. Repeat weekly until test time.

Anyone have any tips for ways to stay focused/energized/sharp during the exam? As I am doing practice tests, I start to get tired after the 3rd block and my focus starts to diminish. I really don't want this to happen on test day. I was planning on putting two practice test back to back, but other than this, does anyone have any ideas on what could help?

Last edited:
Anyone have any tips for ways to stay focused/energized/sharp during the exam? As I am doing practice tests, I start to get tired after the 3rd block and my focus starts to diminish. I really don't want this to happen on test day. I was planning on putting two practice test back to back, but other than this does anyone have any ideas on what works for them

Your adrenaline really takes over

Bring some coffee to chug between breaks, and some protein bars

Anyone have any tips for ways to stay focused/energized/sharp during the exam? As I am doing practice tests, I start to get tired after the 3rd block and my focus starts to diminish. I really don't want this to happen on test day. I was planning on putting two practice test back to back, but other than this, does anyone have any ideas on what could help?

Honestly I don't think that putting two practice tests back to back to simulate a real exam is very helpful. I did it a few weeks back and found that I was more fatigued from it and didn't study as well in the subsequent days. Like @yankees527 said, on test day your adrenaline is going to take over and you'll have more problems with calming your nerves than you will with staying awake.

Reactions: 2 users
It's super ridiculously boring and very difficult to stay focused for even a full day of it. I took my notes in the form of anki flashcards so that I could systematically memorize it all. If you have the time to convert your notes into anki cards, I recommend it. Best advice is to split your day up, with maybe 2-3 hrs of memorization/review followed by an hour of something more entertaining like watching sketchy or pathoma - alternate throughout the day. But in the end, you just have to suck it up and endure the boredom.
I am so tired really. I am so very much drained and at the same time I don't plan on adding any new resources
One method is to break up your notes so you can cover it all in 6 days. Then do a practice exam on the 7th. Repeat weekly until test time.
Thank you very much!! Exactly what I am trying now.

Thank you very much!!

Can anyone comment on likelihood of failing if my two recent NBMEs were low 210s? My goal was to "comfortably pass", I'd be happy with a 194 and ecstatic to break 200. I imagine it's annoying when newcomers (like me) ask these questions but my test is in a week and I'm super nervous. Thanks to anyone for your thoughts!

Can anyone comment on likelihood of failing if my two recent NBMEs were low 210s? My goal was to "comfortably pass", I'd be happy with a 194 and ecstatic to break 200. I imagine it's annoying when newcomers (like me) ask these questions but my test is in a week and I'm super nervous. Thanks to anyone for your thoughts!

Has your score gone up as youve studied? Are the questions your getting wrong weakness areas or do u feel its just a test taking strategy problem? If the things ur making mistakes are areas of weakness be sure to drill in on those. No one on here can gurantee anything but if your acoring in the 210s on nbmes you should be able to pass, personally, this is my opinion, Id feel more comfortable if your average was a bit higher like the 220s, but I feel at the ens of the day you should still be able to pass to answer your question. Do u mind sharing which nbmes you did? it might illuminate things a little for us in terms of advice as some nbmes are "more" difficult in terms of scoring scale.

Thanks so much for replying. My recent NBMEs were 15 and 17, which are up 15 points from my baseline NBME16. I know some others get a 40+ point increase, but tbh I'm happy to have any improvement.

My score reports jump around a lot but there are no consistent weaknesses, I think it's an issue with the test taking strategy (second-guessing etc). I've heard that compared to the real test NBME17 q's are a lot more straightforward but the curve is less forgiving, what do you think of that view?

Thanks so much for replying. My recent NBMEs were 15 and 17, which are up 15 points from my baseline NBME16. I know some others get a 40+ point increase, but tbh I'm happy to have any improvement.

My score reports jump around a lot but there are no consistent weaknesses, I think it's an issue with the test taking strategy (second-guessing etc). I've heard that compared to the real test NBME17 q's are a lot more straightforward but the curve is less forgiving, what do you think of that view?

The fact youve shown improvement is a good sign. Again as I said earlier I dont see you failing this test by any means.

Biggest thing in regards to second guessing: never change your answer on a question unless your sure the answer you originally put down is wrong. So if you have a question where after reading it you have no idea where to go in terms of answering it, just stick with your first choice, often your mind figures out the answer, but its just difficult to bring it forth to your conscious mind. Try to take nbme 17 when you get a chance and see how you do. If you score 210+ on that I think your good for hitting your goal. Best of luck my friend.

I'm probably being stupid and being vulnerable to the games my mind is playing on me, hence the stupid question - I've been in the 235-240 range on NBMEs and it was my dream to break a 250. From the past few days I feel like I'm actually grasping more high yield stuff than I previously did. So, I was wondering if I should postpone my exam by 2 weeks and try to get that dream score? Not really sure if 2 weeks matters if I've already plateaued. Also, when I review NBMEs I miss
some questions (~3-4) only because I am in such a hurry to be done with the NBME and find out what score range I'm in. Maybe the adrenaline rush on exam day will prevent me from rushing through te questions? Maybe not? I don't know Super confused!! I sit the exam on 22. I guess this is just me being anxious

I'm probably being stupid and being vulnerable to the games my mind is playing on me, hence the stupid question - I've been in the 235-240 range on NBMEs and it was my dream to break a 250. From the past few days I feel like I'm actually grasping more high yield stuff than I previously did. So, I was wondering if I should postpone my exam by 2 weeks and try to get that dream score? Not really sure if 2 weeks matters if I've already plateaued. Also, when I review NBMEs I miss
some questions (~3-4) only because I am in such a hurry to be done with the NBME and find out what score range I'm in. Maybe the adrenaline rush on exam day will prevent me from rushing through te questions? Maybe not? I don't know Super confused!! I sit the exam on 22. I guess this is just me being anxious
I personally wouldn't. You'll always feel like you could have done more, but in the end you just have to trust that you can perform on test day.

Reactions: 3 users

Do whatever you need to do, but you also run the risk of heading in the wrong direction.

Recommendations on how to get into the zone. How to stay calm during the exam. Recommendations for dividing up breaks? Also any movie/youtube/music recommendations for the night before? 1 day to go!

I would not. After remembering some of the ones I missed, it wouldn't have mattered if I had an extra two weeks. There's things that will come out of left field that you just cannot prepare for.

I would not. After remembering some of the ones I missed, it wouldn't have mattered if I had an extra two weeks. There's things that will come out of left field that you just cannot prepare for.
I personally wouldn't. You'll always feel like you could have done more, but in the end you just have to trust that you can perform on test day.

Do whatever you need to do, but you also run the risk of heading in the wrong direction.

You all make valid points. Hope and trust are probably my pillars of strength as of now. Look for my experience post in the coming weeks.Hopefully, I'll Be one of those people who say " I used to be in the 230s range, on NBMEs, but got a 250 on the real deal." See y'all on the other side guys.[/QUOTE]

You all make valid points. Hope and trust are probably my pillars of strength as of now. Look for my experience post in the coming weeks.Hopefully, I'll Be one of those people who say " I used to be in the 230s range, on NBMEs, but got a 250 on the real deal." See y'all on the other side guys.

Good luck! Leave some 250 scores for the rest of us!

Recommendations on how to get into the zone. How to stay calm during the exam. Recommendations for dividing up breaks? Also any movie/youtube/music recommendations for the night before? 1 day to go!
I did about 5-10 minutes of deep breathing/meditation between blocks and took lunch after block 4. Even with that, the adrenaline flow made it very tough to become totally calm haha. I'd say it helped me out quite a bit more than if I hadn't though!

I did about 5-10 minutes of deep breathing/meditation between blocks and took lunch after block 4. Even with that, the adrenaline flow made it very tough to become totally calm haha. I'd say it helped me out quite a bit more than if I hadn't though!

Can you take your lunch break whenever? Like you can literally do whatever with your breaks?

I always like deep breathing. It's a simple thing that works pretty well. Just a slow 3 second inhale, hold a second, then a 3 second exhale.

Show time tomorrow! So excited to finally get USMLE done, then COMLEX on Friday, and then be done with these crazy exams! Like others have said, it is such a surreal feeling for my test week to finally be here. Anyone have any day-before suggestions other than relaxing and/or going over HY FA? I think I'm just gonna read HY FA before bed along with my 30pg condensed Uworld notes.

Reactions: 4 users
Show time tomorrow! So excited to finally get USMLE done, then COMLEX on Friday, and then be done with these crazy exams! Like others have said, it is such a surreal feeling for my test week to finally be here. Anyone have any day-before suggestions other than relaxing and/or going over HY FA? I think I'm just gonna read HY FA before bed along with my 30pg condensed Uworld notes.

Nice we're twins! Got the exam tomorrow. Yeah it is a weird feeling. I'm just reviewing all those memorizing details like lymph nodes, some biostats, the high yield review in the back of FA and some details I mike confuse on the day of the exam. Good luck!

Nice we're twins! Got the exam tomorrow. Yeah it is a weird feeling. I'm just reviewing all those memorizing details like lymph nodes, some biostats, the high yield review in the back of FA and some details I mike confuse on the day of the exam. Good luck!

You too, friend! We are gonna rock it :)

Been a lurker for a while and thought I'd make an account.
I don't know how I feel tbh. Exam is in 3 days and this has been my progress

NBME 15 - 230 (30 incorrect)
NBME 16 - 240 (24 incorrect)
NBME 19 - 215 (didn't study for a few days after) (35 incorrect)
NBME 17 - 225 (didn't study for 1 day after) (29 incorrect)
NBME 18 - 236 (32 incorrect)
Free 120 - 89%

I went into this aiming for 250, but now I just want to cross 240
What's really frustrating is that the majority of my mistakes are questions that I didn't star, and I star aprox 15 questions per block.

Can someone comment on the free 120 and why they seem to be incorporated into everyone's self evaluation? Other than the fact that they are free, are they any different than the NBME's?

Can someone comment on the free 120 and why they seem to be incorporated into everyone's self evaluation? Other than the fact that they are free, are they any different than the NBME's?

they let you test the actual format of how the exam will feel, as well as letting you try out some of the multimedia you may see on questions and do the tutorial for exam day.

Watching GoT battle of the bastards to prepare for tomorrow morning. Bring it NBME you *****.

Reactions: 6 users