USMLE Official 2017 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WeedForLunch

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this is quite early but most American Students have finished giving the test for this year.
I am an IMG and have been prepping for the steps since quite some time and have seen Phloston, Transposony's and others' threads for their respective years and how helpful they have been.

I intend on giving step in Jan.. let's share timetables, plans and other stuff on how everyone intends on taking on this beast.

P.S. : I think it is not that early.. the 2015/2016 threads were started in September/October.. but in true SDN gunner style..i wanna start it in August.. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Been a lurker for a while and thought I'd make an account.
I don't know how I feel tbh. Exam is in 3 days and this has been my progress

NBME 15 - 230 (30 incorrect)
NBME 16 - 240 (24 incorrect)
NBME 19 - 215 (didn't study for a few days after) (35 incorrect)
NBME 17 - 225 (didn't study for 1 day after) (29 incorrect)
NBME 18 - 236 (32 incorrect)
Free 120 - 89%

I went into this aiming for 250, but now I just want to cross 240
What's really frustrating is that the majority of my mistakes are questions that I didn't star, and I star aprox 15 questions per block.
First of all, I highly approve of your username and avatar. Secondly, remember that NBMEs underpredict your true potential. Have you done the UWSAs? UWSA2 in particular has been proven to be more accurate in score prediction nowadays. Thirdly, focus on weak areas including those questions you missed on these practice exams. I would also miss a bunch that I didn't star either from misreading a question or straight up using then wrong related concept to answer the question. You can still hit your peak in the last few days, I'm pretty sure I did. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
First of all, I highly approve of your username and avatar. Secondly, remember that NBMEs underpredict your true potential. Have you done the UWSAs? UWSA2 in particular has been proven to be more accurate in score prediction nowadays. Thirdly, focus on weak areas including those questions you missed on these practice exams. I would also miss a bunch that I didn't star either from misreading a question or straight up using then wrong related concept to answer the question. You can still hit your peak in the last few days, I'm pretty sure I did. Good luck!

I agree with this. Make sure you go through your NBMEs and see what you missed. If you are missing stuff just because you misread the question or had a brain fart...that's an easy fix. You now that you need to read more carefully. That is a much better spot to be in than purely just not knowing information and getting questions wrong.

Finally made an account! My step 1 is on Friday... :dead:

NBME 13= 261 (7 weeks out)
NBME 18= 257 (4 weeks out)
NBME 17= 273 (4 weeks out-- I stacked 17 and 18 and did 17 2nd)
Uworld sim 2= 271 (3 weeks out)
NBME 16= 266 (3 weeks out)
Uworld sim 1= 279 (2 weeks out)
Free 120= 95% (1 week out)

My practice scores have far exceeded my expectations, but they really don't mean anything if I can't do the same on Friday! I've seen a lot of people on SDN who have done relatively similar on their true step 1's or even better, but most people at my school who have had similar practice scores ended up scoring between 240-250, so that's where my expectations are.

I burnt out pretty hard with 3 weeks left. I skipped NBME 19 because I heard a lot of people's averages went down, and at this point I'm trying to just keep my mental health as best as possible (nooooo more panic attacks pleasseeee!!!!). I also skipped 15 originally because NBME's are expensive and I heard it wasn't the best one. I think the thing I find most surprising about this whole process is that no matter what mood I am in, how prepared I think I am, when I take a practice exam I still find them really hard and always think I did so poorly afterwards-- so hopefully that helps other people who might feel the same way not feel alone!

I can post about my study plan if it might help anyone. Since I haven't taken the actual exam, I can't say if it worked or not yet!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
@Dolores_Abernathy

Do you mind sharing your number of mistakes in NBMEs 16 and 17?

Also I have difficulty believing people with similar scores end up with 240-250. There might be some exaggeration, or maybe only some tests where they score this highly, but you've done consistently well across the board. I think all you need now is to stay calm and avoid silly mistakes. Good luck!

@Dolores_Abernathy

Do you mind sharing your number of mistakes in NBMEs 16 and 17?

Also I have difficulty believing people with similar scores end up with 240-250. There might be some exaggeration, or maybe only some tests where they score this highly, but you've done consistently well across the board. I think all you need now is to stay calm and avoid silly mistakes. Good luck!

I missed 8 on NBME 16, and I missed 3 on NBME 17.

I stacked NBME 18 and 17 because I am a really slow reader and have a hard time focusing so I thought it might be good to try to help my endurance. I did 18 in the morning, 1 hour lunch break, then took 17 in the afternoon. But I found that NBME 18 and 17 did share a lot of similarities, so I'm sure that's why my 17 score is so high.

I also want to mention I usually mark 22% of my questions-- these are questions that I am not 100% certain I got the answer right, aka questions where I didn't rely on pure knowledge/memory and had to use some sort of logic or reasoning that could have been flawed.

Last edited:
I missed 8 on NBME 16, and I missed 3 on NBME 17.

I stacked NBME 18 and 17 because I am a really slow reader and have a hard time focusing so I thought it might be good to try to help my endurance. I did 18 in the morning, 1 hour lunch break, then took 17 in the afternoon. But I found that NBME 18 and 17 did share a lot of similarities, so I'm sure that's why my 17 score is so high.

I also want to mention I usually mark 22% of my questions-- these are questions that I am not 100% certain I got the answer right, aka questions where I didn't rely on pure knowledge/memory and had to use some sort of logic or reasoning that could have been flawed.

You're scores are insanely high!

What did you do to prepare??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You're scores are insanely high!

What did you do to prepare??

Short answer:

Throughout MS2 I used the classic resources as my main study tools (First Aid, Uworld, Pathoma, Sketchy, with other random resources thrown in when I needed additional help). The best advice I had received before starting med school was to try to understand everything as much as possible.

I can definitely write a more helpful and detailed post with what I did and wish I had done instead!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey all, I'm interested in hearing a few suggestions on how to fix my brain :/ . I take comlex on the 28 and then usmle on the july for the 19th, so I'll have 3 full weeks of more dedicated studying. I've talked to a few friends and I should pass comlex but my issue is with step. I keep hearing a million different stories (from friends) about how the test is. One guy said he got a ton of buzz words and he was able to do fine, another friend I talked to said that his test was nothing but 2nd, 3rd order questions. After reading everyone's stories here, I know the tests are pretty much random on what you get but the last test type is why I'd like some thoughts on how to prepare. My brain is either wired poorly or I'm just that bad at answering 3rd order questions (probably both lol).

Regarding NBMEs, I'm right at borderline of passing step, like 190-200 lvl meaning I still need to work on my foundation. Which I am. I've finished uworld and will probably grab a kaplan qbank to use during the 3 weeks while I review FA, pathoma, and uworld notes. But that's my issue. Those materials wont be "good enough" for my brain and 3rd order questions. I can memorize things and go "uh hu, I can see how they tie together" but I can't go beyond that. I'm also not that great at physio so I'm thinking of picking up Physeo to help me understand stuff better.

TL;DR - dumb person, did uworld, 3 weeks study time, how train brain to ~think/reason out~ better.
Thanks!

Hey all, I'm interested in hearing a few suggestions on how to fix my brain :/ . I take comlex on the 28 and then usmle on the july for the 19th, so I'll have 3 full weeks of more dedicated studying. I've talked to a few friends and I should pass comlex but my issue is with step. I keep hearing a million different stories (from friends) about how the test is. One guy said he got a ton of buzz words and he was able to do fine, another friend I talked to said that his test was nothing but 2nd, 3rd order questions. After reading everyone's stories here, I know the tests are pretty much random on what you get but the last test type is why I'd like some thoughts on how to prepare. My brain is either wired poorly or I'm just that bad at answering 3rd order questions (probably both lol).

Regarding NBMEs, I'm right at borderline of passing step, like 190-200 lvl meaning I still need to work on my foundation. Which I am. I've finished uworld and will probably grab a kaplan qbank to use during the 3 weeks while I review FA, pathoma, and uworld notes. But that's my issue. Those materials wont be "good enough" for my brain and 3rd order questions. I can memorize things and go "uh hu, I can see how they tie together" but I can't go beyond that. I'm also not that great at physio so I'm thinking of picking up Physeo to help me understand stuff better.

TL;DR - dumb person, did uworld, 3 weeks study time, how train brain to ~think/reason out~ better.
Thanks!

I think looking into Boards and Beyond might be extremely helpful for you. It's a video based resource similar to pathoma but covers the majority of subjects in First Aid. It may help you improve your foundation! But I would not recommend that being the only thing you do, definitely continue to do questions with it.

I think looking into Boards and Beyond might be extremely helpful for you. It's a video based resource similar to pathoma but covers the majority of subjects in First Aid. It may help you improve your foundation! But I would not recommend that being the only thing you do, definitely continue to do questions with it.

Thanks but I'm already using B&B. Almost done with my first pass through of it.

When are you expecting to get your scores? We tested a day apart.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, if I took step on May 31 I can be fairly certain I'll receive my score June 28 rather than the 3 wk mark which would be this coming Wednesday, June 21, right?

Hey everyone, if I took step on May 31 I can be fairly certain I'll receive my score June 28 rather than the 3 wk mark which would be this coming Wednesday, June 21, right?

Yes, see below. I guess so many probably contacted NBME that they decided to update there website today again lol

upload_2017-6-19_13-17-6.png

So I finished the exam at 5 pm, got fingerprinted to leave, then the power shut off in the entire building. Everyone got kicked off mid exam.

Reactions: 2 users
What a day! Here is my short-term recap before my mind goes blank. First and foremost, if you prepared well for the USMLE, the most important advice I have is to keep your anxiety to a minimum leading up to the test. I tried my best and really felt it let me get through blocks with a more level mind. Additionally, if you just accept the fact that 1/3 of the test is going to be super complicated/unknown things to you (maybe even more depending on the version you get) you will have a much more pleasant test experience. Freaking out every time you see something foreign is just a recipe for disaster (I understand how anxiety provoking this is, but I CANNOT stress this enough). For those wondering about specifics, specifics don't matter. I don't care who says it, but there is nothing you can do to prepare for some questions, so don't even try. The best course of study is to be prepared IN ALL AREAS. I definitely noticed a trend with people suggesting to look a milestones and sexual development before their exam and I can confirm that this can come up. Maybe not on every exam, but I definitely had a few questions that were explicitly asking you to differentiate between milestones and/or sexual development items (actual specifics and not something you could figure out intuitively from the stem).

I barely had any biochem or drug side effects on my exam, which is really a disappointment because I studied so hard for them in the few days leading up to my exam (oh well!). DO NOT neglect those areas just because I say this. Your exam could be very biochem/side effect heavy. I can confirm the trend that I have seen in that oncology specifics seem to be coming up a lot on the exam. I felt FA did an OK job preparing for this, but many questions were so specific about things not in FA or you had to infer outside of your knowledge base (or at least my knowledge base) for many questions, so there is no way to prepare for this. Another bane of my test were the infamous arrow/hormone-regulation questions. It felt like literally every 3rd question for me was a physiologic arrow question. Even on simple concepts, you really need to be strong in knowing how things change in pathological states (looking at you PTH/Vitd/Calcium/Cardiovascular/RAAS topics) and be prepared to see them in NOVEL SITUATIONS. These types of questions can really only be answered intuitively if you know the physiology behind them because they aren't going to give you classical scenarios and many of the answer choices may seem equally correct depending on the pathology behind the question.

Biostats and ethics were equally weird, with a mix of easy and very vague/hard questions. I do not feel there is really anything one could do to prepare for some of these, so know the major concepts and formulas and just be prepared for the WTF questions to move on from. FA and sketchy was more than enough for the Micro on my exam, but that does not mean that your exam version will not have crazy micro questions. My certainly did, but the majority were stuff in FA. More importantly, its very important to know the MOST COMMON of bugs for certain conditions. It is definitely easy to lose sight of this when you are chugging out Uworld 3rd/4th order micro questions and get used to the question stem giving you identifiers for bugs. I had many questions with no identifiers that you just had to know what the most common bug was, so be prepared for that.

Lastly, BE PREPARED TO SEE QUESTIONS ABOUT NORMAL. I realized this doing the Free 120 and confirmed it with my test. Be completely prepared to be given a question stem about NORMAL parameters. We get so used to looking at every detail for some pathological condition that normal variation may slip under you nose without you noticing. DO NOT get tripped up by this on exam day. My best advice for this is just don't overthink a question. If you get a hypochromic blood smear with a 25yo woman at a routine check up with no fatigue and no other identifiers she probably has some simple subclinical Fe-deficiency anemia, not some crazy mutant of Beta-thal that you have never heard of (this wasn't on my test, but just an example!).

I really felt my specific exam was a good mixture of everything. There really is not better advice than to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. There becomes a point where anything after is just useless worry and there is nothing you can do about it. If you prepared properly, the exam is totally manageable so long as you keep a level head and don't get overwhelmed. There will be questions you absolutely know! Hard versions get accentuated by the fact that it is easier to remember the WTF questions than the easy ones. I felt my test was about medium difficulty with a mixture of terribly complex and extremely straightforward questions. That said, there were almost NO 1st order questions on my exam version. Almost everything was at least 2nd, if not all 3rd order. I'll try to update more as I think of stuff, but if anyone has any specific questions just let me know! On to COMLEX this Friday. Thanks to everyone who has given me support for the USMLE over the last months; ya'll the best. Gonna get my relaxing on for the rest of the evening.

Reactions: 14 users
Studying for the COMLEX after taking the USMLE is annoying. I'll come across a concept/disease that I remember was on my exam, but not enough context to look up the answer... It's more of a tease than anything really

Just realized I literally had no acid/base questions at all on my exam lol. No pulm, renal, NOTHIN'. Just had to vent that. Why do we even try :yeahright:

What a day! Here is my short-term recap before my mind goes blank. First and foremost, if you prepared well for the USMLE, the most important advice I have is to keep your anxiety to a minimum leading up to the test. I tried my best and really felt it let me get through blocks with a more level mind. Additionally, if you just accept the fact that 1/3 of the test is going to be super complicated/unknown things to you (maybe even more depending on the version you get) you will have a much more pleasant test experience. Freaking out every time you see something foreign is just a recipe for disaster (I understand how anxiety provoking this is, but I CANNOT stress this enough). For those wondering about specifics, specifics don't matter. I don't care who says it, but there is nothing you can do to prepare for some questions, so don't even try. The best course of study is to be prepared IN ALL AREAS. I definitely noticed a trend with people suggesting to look a milestones and sexual development before their exam and I can confirm that this can come up. Maybe not on every exam, but I definitely had a few questions that were explicitly asking you to differentiate between milestones and/or sexual development items (actual specifics and not something you could figure out intuitively from the stem).

I barely had any biochem or drug side effects on my exam, which is really a disappointment because I studied so hard for them in the few days leading up to my exam (oh well!). DO NOT neglect those areas just because I say this. Your exam could be very biochem/side effect heavy. I can confirm the trend that I have seen in that oncology specifics seem to be coming up a lot on the exam. I felt FA did an OK job preparing for this, but many questions were so specific about things not in FA or you had to infer outside of your knowledge base (or at least my knowledge base) for many questions, so there is no way to prepare for this. Another bane of my test were the infamous arrow/hormone-regulation questions. It felt like literally every 3rd question for me was a physiologic arrow question. Even on simple concepts, you really need to be strong in knowing how things change in pathological states (looking at you PTH/Vitd/Calcium/Cardiovascular/RAAS topics) and be prepared to see them in NOVEL SITUATIONS. These types of questions can really only be answered intuitively if you know the physiology behind them because they aren't going to give you classical scenarios and many of the answer choices may seem equally correct depending on the pathology behind the question.

Biostats and ethics were equally weird, with a mix of easy and very vague/hard questions. I do not feel there is really anything one could do to prepare for some of these, so know the major concepts and formulas and just be prepared for the WTF questions to move on from. FA and sketchy was more than enough for the Micro on my exam, but that does not mean that your exam version will not have crazy micro questions. My certainly did, but the majority were stuff in FA. More importantly, its very important to know the MOST COMMON of bugs for certain conditions. It is definitely easy to lose sight of this when you are chugging out Uworld 3rd/4th order micro questions and get used to the question stem giving you identifiers for bugs. I had many questions with no identifiers that you just had to know what the most common bug was, so be prepared for that.

Lastly, BE PREPARED TO SEE QUESTIONS ABOUT NORMAL. I realized this doing the Free 120 and confirmed it with my test. Be completely prepared to be given a question stem about NORMAL parameters. We get so used to looking at every detail for some pathological condition that normal variation may slip under you nose without you noticing. DO NOT get tripped up by this on exam day. My best advice for this is just don't overthink a question. If you get a hypochromic blood smear with a 25yo woman at a routine check up with no fatigue and no other identifiers she probably has some simple subclinical Fe-deficiency anemia, not some crazy mutant of Beta-thal that you have never heard of (this wasn't on my test, but just an example!).

I really felt my specific exam was a good mixture of everything. There really is not better advice than to prepare for the worst and hope for the best. There becomes a point where anything after is just useless worry and there is nothing you can do about it. If you prepared properly, the exam is totally manageable so long as you keep a level head and don't get overwhelmed. There will be questions you absolutely know! Hard versions get accentuated by the fact that it is easier to remember the WTF questions than the easy ones. I felt my test was about medium difficulty with a mixture of terribly complex and extremely straightforward questions. That said, there were almost NO 1st order questions on my exam version. Almost everything was at least 2nd, if not all 3rd order. I'll try to update more as I think of stuff, but if anyone has any specific questions just let me know! On to COMLEX this Friday. Thanks to everyone who has given me support for the USMLE over the last months; ya'll the best. Gonna get my relaxing on for the rest of the evening.
Great write-up. I feel like you hit the nail on the head. Awesome advice!

Took it today. Found 2/7 blocks to be quite difficult, 3 to be fair, and the other 2 to be straight forward, although this is probably due to variance in personal knowledge base.

Most of it was UWorld difficulty. Maybe very roughly 10% of questions were more difficult than UWorld due to the simple reason that half of the clues in the stem pointed toward one diagnosis, while the other half of clues pointed toward another diagnosis. Both diagnoses (or their respective inferences) were typically included in the answer choices. Also, there were more "next best step" and prognosis questions than I expected.

So far, I've found two questions that were "difficult" due to the question writers stretching their knowledge beyond their bounds in an attempt to create a "difficult" or confusing question. By elimination, both ended up being a straightforward albeit incorrect answer. Message being, don't get tripped up if something sounds almost correct but isn't quite correct for some minute reason that you learned in a graduate (PhD) course, as long as you can more definitively rule out the other options for reasons you learned in medical school.

Might be a little late for me, but for those of y'all who have weeks of prep left, I suggest skimming through medbullets. I am looking at their antimicrobials notes right now and it seems like they've done a good job (minus few errors). Additionally, important bullet points are highlighted, so that way it's great for a quick review. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Slowly dying and wanted to share my study plan for those in the middle/beginning step studying. 9 days left until the score release and it can't come soon enough.

I started reviewing MS1 material in fall of MS2; I spent 4 hours a week just reading FA from MS1 and then 4 hours a week on the organ block that we were currently doing. With this, I finished reviewing MS1 material by winter break and was a solid way through the organ systems. I started UWorld in January; I spent a week on each chapter, finishing up FA (and redoing what I had reviewed in the fall)/reviewing pathoma/doing ~20 UWorld questions a day.

With that, I had around ~1200 UWorld questions left when I started my 6 weeks of dedicated studying. I wrapped up UWorld first place in my first two weeks of dedicated and also did DIT. During weeks 3/4, I reviewed incorrect and marked questions (at a slower pace) and finished up DIT. During weeks 5/6, I did a 3rd pass of First Aid and Pathoma (and referenced DIT).

Stats:
UWorld %le: 90th
NBME 15 (4 weeks out): 255
UWSA #1 (4 weeks out): 266
NBME 17 (2.5 weeks out): 259
NBME 19 (1.5 weeks out): 261
NBME 18 (3 days out): 263

Walked out of exam: Feeling rough. Still feel rough. Counted approximately ~15 so far I know I got wrong, banking on some more.
Anticipating: really no idea. Gut says 245-255 but that might be optimistic.

I've been hearing that a lot of people have been "blindsided" by anatomy questions. Have any of you that have taken the exam experienced this? Also, can someone elaborate on how biochemistry questions are asked? Is it a clinical biochemistry question or is there just straight up enzyme/cofactor/substrate stuff? Thanks.

I've been hearing that a lot of people have been "blindsided" by anatomy questions. Have any of you that have taken the exam experienced this? Also, can someone elaborate on how biochemistry questions are asked? Is it a clinical biochemistry question or is there just straight up enzyme/cofactor/substrate stuff? Thanks.
I'm going to post a write up tomorrow. But in short my exam was VERY cell bio, biochem heavy. You needed to know it clinically, through experiment, theoretically lol. They don't ask questions a certain way, your knowledge needs to be deep and well rounded

Took it today and got probably 10-15 anatomy questions and/or needed anatomy knowledge to get the right answer. Maybe 2 of them were truly obscure anatomy, but for the most part it was muscle function/innervation, spinal levels, brachial plexus, neuroanatomy, brain infarct localization, vessels, and CT/MRI/Radiogragh tie-ins (most of which I would consider pretty standard anatomy associations and not obscure, though I did very well in anatomy in 1st year). I also got like 5-6 questions of pure embryology where you had to know the week of development/arch/pouch/derivative/etc with no other hints to help you, so I would keep that in mind as well.

I'm going to post a write up tomorrow. But in short my exam was VERY cell bio, biochem heavy. You needed to know it clinically, through experiment, theoretically lol. They don't ask questions a certain way, your knowledge needs to be deep and well rounded

Just to reiterate this, my exam (for example) was not very biochem heavy, but was extremely cellular biology/pathways heavy. Especially with oncology or experimental stems. A very deep understanding is really the only way to overcome this.

Just to reiterate this, my exam (for example) was not very biochem heavy, but was extremely cellular biology/pathways heavy. Especially with oncology or experimental stems. A very deep understanding is really the only way to overcome this.

Can you explain further when you say needing to Have a deep of an understanding? Like you if you had a research background in that it would benefit or what?

Can you explain further when you say needing to Have a deep of an understanding? Like you if you had a research background in that it would benefit or what?

Hah, maybe not that deep of an understanding. But definitely things like what pathways every receptor modulates, ligands to those receptors, mediators of those pathways, how these pathways effect cellular biology, etc. I didn't feel like anything that was present wasn't in FA (maybe a couple?). This may have been specific to my exam, but I probably got 1 question for every type of receptor and multiple questions asking about cellular biology in relation to onco/tumor-suppressor genes, experimental treatments, animal models, etc. Looking back I don't think I would have done anything differently other than go over FA. The problem is that you just don't know what they are going to ask.

Hah, maybe not that deep of an understanding. But definitely things like what pathways every receptor modulates, ligands to those receptors, mediators of those pathways, how these pathways effect cellular biology, etc. I didn't feel like anything that was present wasn't in FA (maybe a couple?). This may have been specific to my exam, but I probably got 1 question for every type of receptor and multiple questions asking about cellular biology in relation to onco/tumor-suppressor genes, experimental treatments, animal models, etc. Looking back I don't think I would have done anything differently other than go over FA. The problem is that you just don't know what they are going to ask.

We must have had very similar forms. Mine was extremely heavy on tumor suppressors and oncogenes and tying that into treatment protocols/experiments, but I'd say only 60% of mine were found in FA, even then it might be mentioned barely at all. I got a decent amount of others right due to remembering them from class, but there was definitely a few where I had zero clue what they were getting at.

Might be a little late for me, but for those of y'all who have weeks of prep left, I suggest skimming through medbullets. I am looking at their antimicrobials notes right now and it seems like they've done a good job (minus few errors). Additionally, important bullet points are highlighted, so that way it's great for a quick review. Good luck
Agreed. Medbullets is great! In fact, I reference it more than First Aid (probably because I can just google things on there).

We must have had very similar forms. Mine was extremely heavy on tumor suppressors and oncogenes and tying that into treatment protocols/experiments, but I'd say only 60% of mine were found in FA, even then it might be mentioned barely at all. I got a decent amount of others right due to remembering them from class, but there was definitely a few where I had zero clue what they were getting at.

You are probably more right than I am making it seem. I am probably just not remember all of them due to logging them away in the "no way in hell I would have known that" category. Especially with new-age/hypothetical protocols. I was surprised by how much recalling from class was more of a factor than I thought it would be lol.

Hey guys, sorry for the late post I've been just relaxing, drinking some scotch so excuse any grammatical errors. The beast is slain or so I feel. I have been lurking for some time now on this thread and thought I'd never be writing up my exam experience due to feeling inadequately prepared for this exam. Every step of the way even with low NBME scores. However, I decided to take the plunge and here I am now. Okay so this will mostly cater to the guys who are in that midrange 200-230. This is where I was NBME wise. Definitely on the lower end. Been posting here for a while freaking out. My Free 120 did not go to well either. However, I decided to review review and review up until the day of the exam and even the morning of the exam. I'm the type of person that always studied up until the last minute so I do not recommend this to someone who freaks out.

On to the exam experience. The exam was MUCH MUCH more doable than I would have ever thought. Sure there were some questions that required deeper levels of thinking, but there were also straight up gimme questions you could even answer as an MS1. These were embedded throughout the test. You need to make sure you get these gimmes right since they are like those rare gems that come and go. However, it is very awesome to see some questions that make you go "we'll **** if nothing else at least I got that one right." These are all confidence boosters and shows you this beast can be slain. I am so baffled by some experiences that were fear mongering a lot of us from people with much higher NBME scores. Now there were also questions where you recognized the stem, understood what was going on but the answer choices were twisted ever so slightly. You need to just pick your best guess and move on. Taking time to think these over will kill your time. Finally, I personally could not tell which questions where experimental or not because I felt every question could be answered if given some thought. There were some graphs on the exam but you could easily reason them out with some clear thought. Percentage wise I'd say 60% of the exam was doable, 30% you could narrow down to 2 choices and 10% could not be answered due to individual lack of knowledge and/or experimentals. Stats was a joke don't worry too much about it on my exam. But remember these questions are meant to be answered within a minute or so so just know the formulas that are in first aid and you should be good to go.

Finally go in with confidence. Trust your study process. You've been studying for a while. Putting in hours and hours into this thing. Trust yourself. Don't lose your **** the day of the exam. I was staying focused the whole exam. You maybe caught with a haymaker every now but keep at it. Keep on pushing till the end. Stamina is just as importance as knowledge and application in this exam. There were some people who were not even taking any breaks at the center. Which is just freaking crazy if you ask me. Take the breaks according to how you are feeling. If you get hit with a hard block. Take a freaking break. Go to your locker. Eat a snack. Stretch. Drink some water and get back to it. I'm a huge coffee drinker and did not even drink coffee the day of the exam even after not sleeping well. I kept eating little bits of snacks during every break.

Uworld by far is the best preparation tool for this exam. Do every question. Read all of the explanations. Do it at least twice for the weaker students. I didn't use any of the other qbanks. The exam is exactly like doing Uworld. Most of your time should be spent doing Uworld!!!! First aid is your guideline. Pathoma is just a beast in nature and you should know this fairly well going in. There are some questions that you can answer only through pathoma. I didn't even use pathoma in dedicated but remember his chapters from freaking 2 years ago. You don't need to know pathoma inside out just know the concept. Finally I used Boards and Beyond to help me understand First Aid. I used it throughout my prep in dedicated. Some people don't like it. I feel like it helped me understand the concepts behind how the basic sciences work. The exam will inevitably test you on your overall concept and grasp of the material and combine that with First Aid. The stems length was similar to NBME. A few long stems here and there but just read quickly using active highlighting. Here to answer any questions.

Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys, sorry for the late post I've been just relaxing, drinking some scotch so excuse any grammatical errors. The beast is slain or so I feel. I have been lurking for some time now on this thread and thought I'd never be writing up my exam experience due to feeling inadequately prepared for this exam. Every step of the way even with low NBME scores. However, I decided to take the plunge and here I am now. Okay so this will mostly cater to the guys who are in that midrange 200-230. This is where I was NBME wise. Definitely on the lower end. Been posting here for a while freaking out. My Free 120 did not go to well either. However, I decided to review review and review up until the day of the exam and even the morning of the exam. I'm the type of person that always studied up until the last minute so I do not recommend this to someone who freaks out.

On to the exam experience. The exam was MUCH MUCH more doable than I would have ever thought. Sure there were some questions that required deeper levels of thinking, but there were also straight up gimme questions you could even answer as an MS1. These were embedded throughout the test. You need to make sure you get these gimmes right since they are like those rare gems that come and go. However, it is very awesome to see some questions that make you go "we'll **** if nothing else at least I got that one right." These are all confidence boosters and shows you this beast can be slain. I am so baffled by some experiences that were fear mongering a lot of us from people with much higher NBME scores. Now there were also questions where you recognized the stem, understood what was going on but the answer choices were twisted ever so slightly. You need to just pick your best guess and move on. Taking time to think these over will kill your time. Finally, I personally could not tell which questions where experimental or not because I felt every question could be answered if given some thought. There were some graphs on the exam but you could easily reason them out with some clear thought. Percentage wise I'd say 60% of the exam was doable, 30% you could narrow down to 2 choices and 10% could not be answered due to individual lack of knowledge and/or experimentals. Stats was a joke don't worry too much about it on my exam. But remember these questions are meant to be answered within a minute or so so just know the formulas that are in first aid and you should be good to go.

Finally go in with confidence. Trust your study process. You've been studying for a while. Putting in hours and hours into this thing. Trust yourself. Don't lose your **** the day of the exam. I was staying focused the whole exam. You maybe caught with a haymaker every now but keep at it. Keep on pushing till the end. Stamina is just as importance as knowledge and application in this exam. There were some people who were not even taking any breaks at the center. Which is just freaking crazy if you ask me. Take the breaks according to how you are feeling. If you get hit with a hard block. Take a freaking break. Go to your locker. Eat a snack. Stretch. Drink some water and get back to it. I'm a huge coffee drinker and did not even drink coffee the day of the exam even after not sleeping well. I kept eating little bits of snacks during every break.

Uworld by far is the best preparation tool for this exam. Do every question. Read all of the explanations. Do it at least twice for the weaker students. I didn't use any of the other qbanks. The exam is exactly like doing Uworld. Most of your time should be spent doing Uworld!!!! First aid is your guideline. Pathoma is just a beast in nature and you should know this fairly well going in. There are some questions that you can answer only through pathoma. I didn't even use pathoma in dedicated but remember his chapters from freaking 2 years ago. You don't need to know pathoma inside out just know the concept. Finally I used Boards and Beyond to help me understand First Aid. I used it throughout my prep in dedicated. Some people don't like it. I feel like it helped me understand the concepts behind how the basic sciences work. The exam will inevitably test you on your overall concept and grasp of the material and combine that with First Aid. The stems length was similar to NBME. A few long stems here and there but just read quickly using active highlighting. Here to answer any questions.
I just wanted to say thank you for taking the time to write up your experience. This test causes a tremendous amount of stress for everyone no matter what they are scoring on their NBME's. It is great to hear another optimistic view of an exam experience. I hope you reach your goal!

You SDNer's will do fine. If you did UFAP, most of the test is doable. What ssgs2 said, I couldn't really tell what was experimental, because you could mostly at least make an educated guess for all of them. Lots of "whats next" bs (is this step 2?)....
I only think I did terrible today because I dwelled on questions too much. I did the same thing on every nbme and uworld block; if I'm not sure about a question, I almost am guaranteed to get the subsequent 3-4 wrong. Oh well, on to COMLEX!

You SDNer's will do fine. If you did UFAP, most of the test is doable. What ssgs2 said, I couldn't really tell what was experimental, because you could mostly at least make an educated guess for all of them. Lots of "whats next" bs (is this step 2?)....
I only think I did terrible today because I dwelled on questions too much. I did the same thing on every nbme and uworld block; if I'm not sure about a question, I almost am guaranteed to get the subsequent 3-4 wrong. Oh well, on to COMLEX!

Thats what I heard as well..lots of next step questions....whyyyyyy

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

On a side note, I feel like Kaplan Qbank is a very underrated source....lol
Agreed. I would say that Kaplan Q bank is the second best Q bank. I thought that their cardio questions were really well written and had great explanations.

Less than 2 weeks to go, 600 uworld Qs remaining on second pass, 9 chapters boards and beyond remaining, NBME 18/19/uwsa2/free120 remaining.

Any tips on the best approach leading up to the exam? Thinking about ignoring the rest of uworld and doing BB, reviewing my cards I've got in anki, and taking the final assessments.