*~*~*~* Official 2018-2019 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
5 predecember interviews are amazing most people are happy with just 1 or 2 lol do you remember when the letter was dated?

It was dated Sept 19. And Yes! I'm super happy with my 5 interview invites so far. Never thought I would get interviews to UCSF or Columbia with my stats. I applied to those thinking I would get automatic rejections.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was dated Sept 19. And Yes! I'm super happy with my 5 interview invites so far. Never thought I would get interviews to UCSF or Columbia with my stats. I applied to those thinking I would get automatic rejections.

lol I just got a rejection from them as well dated the 19th they probably sent mass rejections that day

Why NOVA and Midwestern over Maryland? just curious

I liked Nova interprofessional classes and the overall their students looked like they really liked it there and all the different schools have lunch together. It felt just like Colorado. Also Ft Lauderdale, in my opinion, is more appealing to live in for me than Baltimore. With choosing schools, the environment for me matters. Midwestern I really liked their advanced clinical program and their private practice curriculum

Reactions: 1 user
Columbia sent me an invite for January 18th lol. Columbia and UCSF were both tired for 5. I haven't heard from UCSF. Tufts was like my 7 or 8th preference. You might snatch the Columbia if I end up cancelling it. Tufts will be sending more interviews I think
That will be so nice of you. I am still waiting from them :). How many dental schools did you apply in total?

Interview #5
School: MWU-IL
Notification date: just randomly checked my portal
Method of notification:
probably a letter soon
Residency: VA
AADSAS mail-out date: around 6/20/18
Application complete date: mid july
GPA (science, overall): 3.38/3.38
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17) 21/24/22/18/none below 17

looks like a lot in October, but might try for a later date.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I liked Nova interprofessional classes and the overall their students looked like they really liked it there and all the different schools have lunch together. It felt just like Colorado. Also Ft Lauderdale, in my opinion, is more appealing to live in for me than Baltimore. With choosing schools, the environment for me matters. Midwestern I really liked their advanced clinical program and their private practice curriculum

Just to add to NOVA's program: all years help each other, everyone is helpful and friendly and many students study together but there is a ton of studying, much, much more than in ug.
As for the climate it helps when you don't have to worry about cold and snow in the winter like in Buffalo or Detroit.

Interview #6
School:
Penn
Notification date: 09/25/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: MN
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/27/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.88, 3.92
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/25/22/None

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to add to NOVA's program: all years help each other, everyone is helpful and friendly and many students study together but there is a ton of studying, much, much more than in ug.
As for the climate it helps when you don't have to worry about cold and snow in the winter like in Buffalo or Detroit.

But you have to worry about crazy hot summer !!! LoL I think it's just preference. I personally can take cold better but not hot. You can always wear more coats and socks, but can't unwear any less than out sweating skin! Hahahaha. BUT I love beaches... I would give up summer for nice beach during the fall/winter/spring :) and yummy sushi.

Milder weather could be somewhere around CA, MD, NC, etc....

But you have to worry about crazy hot summer !!! LoL I think it's just preference. I personally can take cold better but not hot. You can always wear more coats and socks, but can't unwear any less than out sweating skin! Hahahaha. BUT I love beaches... I would give up summer for nice beach during the fall/winter/spring :) and yummy sushi.

Milder weather could be somewhere around CA, MD, NC, etc....

this 100% I hate hot weather most of the time.

Interview #1-5: UCSF, Columbia, NYU, Univ. of Kentucky, Univ. of Buffalo
Rejected: Nova

Interview #6
School:
University of Florida
Notification date: 9/26/18
Method of notification: Phone Call
Residency: FL
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/29/18 (verified 7/31/18)
Application complete date: 8/1/18
Supplemental Application complete date: 9/25/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.1, 3.32 (Master’s 3.43, 3.70)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/23/20
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/3/18

Does anyone still have “none” listed on their application?

Interview #1
School:
University of Nebraska
Notification date: 08/08/18
Residency: SD
AADSAS mail-out date: Verified 7/27/18
Application complete date:
Supplemental Application complete date:
GPA (science, overall):
3.18, 3.49
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/20/18/17 No sections below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/1/18

Interview #2
School: Roseman University

Notification date: 09/11/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.18, 3.49
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19/20/18/17 No sections below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/5/18

Interview #3
School:
Creighton University
Notification date: 09/13/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.18, 3.49
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/22/18

Interview #4
School: University of Kentucky
Notification date: 09/25
Residency: Tennessee
GPA (science, overall): 3.92, 3.94
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/any section below a 17): 23/24/22/None
Interview Date: TBD

Im a Canadian and I have 9 US dental school interview invites thus far (NYU, Midwestern Az, Tufts, UPENN, Rutgers, Temple, UNE, UDM, Minnesota)....is that normal? Should I begin to decline/ turn down interview offers that are not necessarily priority to save money? When is enough invites to know you're fairly safe to get an acceptance?

Im a Canadian and I have 9 US dental school interview invites thus far (NYU, Midwestern Az, Tufts, UPENN, Rutgers, Temple, UNE, UDM, Minnesota)....is that normal? Should I begin to decline/ turn down interview offers that are not necessarily priority to save money? When is enough invites to know you're fairly safe to get an acceptance?

How did you get an invite to tufts, didn't they recently stop accepting Canadians?

Also, there's not a specific "# of interviews to feel safe for acceptance", it's going to depend on how well you do on the interviews, I would say go to as many as your budget can afford, and choose the ones you actually see yourself going to.

Interview# 1
School:
MWU-AZ
Notification date: 7/11/18
Method of notification: Portal
Residency: AK
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/29/18
Application complete date: 7/7/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.75, 3.87
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/20/25/24/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/11/18

Interview# 2
School:
Louisville
Notification date: 7/20/18
Application complete date: 7/2/18
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/24/18

Interview# 3
School:
Nebraska
Notification date: 8/2/18
Application complete date: N/A
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/17/18

Interview# 4
School:
AT Still AZ
Notification date: 8/27/18
Application complete date: 7/5/18
Dates available OR your interview date: 9/18/18 (then asked to reschedule)

Interview# 5
School:
Roseman
Notification date: 9/11/18
Application complete date: 8/29/18
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/5/18 (then asked to reschedule)

Interview# 6
School:
Creighton
Notification date: 9/13/18
Application complete date: 6/13/18
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/29/18

Interview# 7
School:
Michigan
Notification date: 9/19/18
Application complete date: 7/2/18
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/5/18

Interview# 8
School:
Oklahoma
Notification date: 9/22/18
Application complete date: N/A
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/3/18

Interview# 2
School:
UCONN
Notification date: 9/27
Method of notification: email
Residency: MA
AADSAS mail-out date: Early August
Application complete date: Mid August
GPA (science, overall): 3.6, 3.6 (very strong upward trend)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/20/19/28/none (26 Bio)
Dates available OR your interview date: have to call

UConn is my absolute top choice and I'm beyond excited right now. Haven't stopped screaming and yelling for the last 20 minutes

Interview# 2
School:
UCONN
Notification date: 9/27
Method of notification: email
Residency: MA
AADSAS mail-out date: Early August
Application complete date: Mid August
GPA (science, overall):
3.6, 3.6 (very strong upward trend)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/20/19/28/none (26 Bio)
Dates available OR your interview date: have to call

UConn is my absolute top choice and I'm beyond excited right now. Haven't stopped screaming and yelling for the last 20 minutes
Could you update us with fixed interview date ? :) thanks and congrats!!!!
I know they prefer New England applicant but I am still hoping to hear back...

Congrats! Well you must be really great applicant thats why.

People decline interview offers if they feel that they won't be happy to go there, or feel strong about other schools.

It's your choice but going all of them surely will be very expensive.

It's worth travel money vs no game.

How did you get an invite to tufts, didn't they recently stop accepting Canadians?

Also, there's not a specific "# of interviews to feel safe for acceptance", it's going to depend on how well you do on the interviews, I would say go to as many as your budget can afford, and choose the ones you actually see yourself going to.

Thanks for the advice...I completed my undergraduate education within the US at a NESCAC school (the same division that Tufts is in)...wonder if that is why?

I'm Canadian and I turned down one interview already (granted, I only got four). I felt that my previous interviews went well, and that I will have a shot at post-december interviews. I couldn't justify the money and couldn't take the time off work, so I turned one of the four down.

Interview #7
School:
UT Health San Antonio
Notification date: 09-25-2018
Residency: California
Application complete date: 6/25
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 28/30/22/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: October 15

I'm Canadian and I turned down one interview already (granted, I only got four). I felt that my previous interviews went well, and that I will have a shot at post-december interviews. I couldn't justify the money and couldn't take the time off work, so I turned one of the four down.

Out of curiosity, which one did you turn down?

Interview #1
School:
NOVA Southeastern
Notification date: August 2nd, 2018
Residency: Minnesota
Application complete date: July 31st, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.24, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/22/27
Dates available OR your interview date: November 21st

Interview #2
School:
University of Minnesota
Notification date: September 28th, 2018
Application complete date: July 30th, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.24, 3.4
Dates available OR your interview date: October 17th

Feels so good to be posting my own interview update! Super super excited for my Minnesota interview!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Interview #1
School:
NOVA Southeastern
Notification date: August 2nd, 2018
Application complete date: July 31st, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.3, 3.4
Dates available OR your interview date: November 21st

Interview #2
School:
University of Minnesota
Notification date: September 28th, 2018
Application complete date: July 30th, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.3, 3.4
Dates available OR your interview date: October 17th

Feels so good to be posting my own interview update! Super super excited for my Minnesota interview!

Good job!

No interviews yet unfortunately. 19 AA, 19 TS, 3.5 OGPA, 3.38 SPGA. I applied in mid August, I know that is late. Does anyone think I have a chance of hearing back?

No interviews yet unfortunately. 19 AA, 19 TS, 3.5 OGPA, 3.38 SPGA. I applied in mid August, I know that is late. Does anyone think I have a chance of hearing back?

Depends on where you applied and your extracurriculars, did you apply broadly and to private schools? If you have decent experiences as well, then there is definitely a chance

Depends on where you applied and your extracurriculars, did you apply broadly and to private schools? If you have decent experiences as well, then there is definitely a chance
Yes I applied broadly to 12 schools, mostly private along with my state school. 300 shadowing, 400 volunteer, and 300 dental assisting hours with leadership roles! Thank you for the kind words, I will try to stay as patient and positive as possible

Interview #7
School:
UT Health San Antonio
Notification date: 09-25-2018
Residency: California
Application complete date: 6/25
GPA (science, overall): 4.0, 4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 28/30/22/23/none
Dates available OR your interview date: October 15

Congrats!! Did you apply to there through aadsas?

Ultimately there is no safe number of interviews. If you always interview poorly, you will not get any acceptances, no matter if you interview at one school or interview at 20 schools.

If you get that many interviews, that means a lot of schools really like the way you look on paper. The interview is how they will know who you really are. They want to see if you are really who you say you are on your application, learn more about you than they can see on your application, and assess your communication skills.

Congrats!! Did you apply to there through aadsas?
Yeah I did! It felt like they weren't even giving the AADSAS applications a look but I was pleasantly surprised to hear back.

Anyone know if schools might still be sending out pre-december interviews in October?
I have three pre-Decembers (Colorado, LECOM, and Nova), but I was hoping to get one more to feel more comfortable about my chances of acceptance. My application was complete in mid-August which wasn't ideal, but I was waiting on my committee letter.
Good luck to everyone applying this cycle!

Status
Not open for further replies.