*~*~*~* Official 2018-2019 Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread *~*~*~*

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interview #5
School:
WVU
Notification date: 10/11/18
Method of notification: Email
Residency: PA
AADSAS mail-out date: 9/3/18
Application complete date: 9/14/18
GPA (science, overall): 4.0,4.0
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 27/28/23/28/none

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interview #13
School: Howard
Notification date: 10/14/18
Residency: SD
Application complete date: 6/26/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.89, 3.92
DAT 22 AA/23 TS/19 PAT/21 Reading

They scheduled my interview for 10/29. Wish they didn't give such short notice, flight prices to DC are going to be jacked up lol

Reactions: 4 users
Interview #13

They scheduled my interview for 10/29. Wish they didn't give such short notice, flight prices to DC are going to be jacked up lol
Wow! They notify on Sunday???

But congratulations and the best of luck :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview #13

Are you even gonna attend this one? lol

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks, yeah I was surprised too!

Probably not lol, I've been pushing a lot of interviews back to post December. I'm feeling good about the 7 schools I've interviewed at!

Same bro. I feel pretty good about the 4 I have attended and I will be attending UCSF and that's it. The rest I scheduled to post December. I hate flying and its $$$

Probably not lol, I've been pushing a lot of interviews back to post December. I'm feeling good about the 7 schools I've interviewed at![/QUOTE]

How were you able to reschedule your interviews post December but sshow them that you are still interested in that schools??

How were you able to reschedule your interviews post December but sshow them that you are still interested in that schools??
I told the schools that one of my teachers would not excuse any more absences for interviews without point deductions.

Reactions: 5 users
I told the schools that one of my teachers would not excuse any more absences for interviews without point deductions.

tenor.gif
the fact that there are actually professors like this is is so annoying

Reactions: 7 users
That's exciting! Getting the first interview invite is a huge relief (I know :) )

Here's to getting many more and good luck to you!
Thanks so much!! It's definitely been hard to keep my spirits up but it felt like a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders once I got that email. Good luck to you as well! :)

For me, it would be even worse. I am working full time in engineering, thus I am expected to be a long term investment to my employer. I literally have to make up some BS excuse if I need to take a leave of absence to go interview, as I cannot bring up my "hidden" intent to go to dental school until it is time for me to put in my two weeks.

Reactions: 6 users
For me, it would be even worse. I am working full time in engineering, thus I am expected to be a long term investment to my employer. I literally have to make up some BS excuse if I need to take a leave of absence to go interview, as I cannot bring up my "hidden" intent to go to dental school until it is time for me to put in my two weeks.

What kind of excuses do you use? I am in the same situation, and I'm always scared that if I say some excuse like I'm sick or something, they are going to ask for proof.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of excuses do you use? I am in the same situation, and I'm always scared that if I say some excuse like I'm sick or something, they are going to ask for proof.
Maybe like "I have a friend coming to visit, and would like to take a personal day off" or "I am planning on going on a long weekend vacation".

Interview #1
School: LSU

Notification date: July 3rd
Residency: Louisiana
AADSAS mail-out date: June 17th
Application complete date: June 18th
GPA (science, overall): 3.93, 3.91
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22, 22, 21, 22, none
Dates available OR your interview date: Interviewed Aug 3

Interview #2
School: Iowa

Notification date: June 20th
Application complete date: June 18th
Dates available OR your interview date: Interviewed Aug 30th

I'm so going to hell for saying this (and even thinking it) but saying that you're the primary care taker for an ill family member works pretty well. It explains consistently missing a day or two pretty well and most bosses are sympathetic..

UCSF in their interview email said they do not reschedule unless you have an exam that day or taking the DAT or medical emergency.

I emailed them and said "Hi, Thank you for the interview invite. I unfortunately cannot make that date. Would it be possible to reschedule?" lol....they sent me 4 new dates to pick from

UCSF in their interview email said they do not reschedule unless you have an exam that day or taking the DAT or medical emergency.

I emailed them and said "Hi, Thank you for the interview invite. I unfortunately cannot make that date. Would it be possible to reschedule?" lol....they sent me 4 new dates to pick from

They are referring to what excuse do you give your boss to go to a dental interview. They don't want the boss to know the real reason why they are asking for time off... Not an excuse you would give the dental school itself to reschedule. A lot of schools don't give you a hard time if you have to reschedule.

This situation sucks. I'm lucky enough to have a boss that understands where I want to go and what I want to do so they are more than supportive. I would make up an excuse like the other people have said about being a primary care giver to an ill relative (illness can be anything from lupus or diabetes, or even mentally). My mom was suicidal for a time during my undergrad so I had to drop everything and drive out to where she was because she was a single parent with my sister. My teachers were more than understanding with no questions asked on days I had to miss, I would just make up the work. I would seriously consider being honest though. If you can't be honest, then that's your prerogative. I just hope that your boss is a no questions kind of person.

Pretty sure that means that once you schedule a date with them, they will not reschedule your interview?

We were trying to talk about excuses for getting out of work or school to make it to the interviews.

This situation sucks. I'm lucky enough to have a boss that understands where I want to go and what I want to do so they are more than supportive. I would make up an excuse like the other people have said about being a primary care giver to an ill relative (illness can be anything from lupus or diabetes, or even mentally). My mom was suicidal for a time during my undergrad so I had to drop everything and drive out to where she was because she was a single parent with my sister. My teachers were more than understanding with no questions asked on days I had to miss, I would just make up the work. I would seriously consider being honest though. If you can't be honest, then that's your prerogative. I just hope that your boss is a no questions kind of person.

Well, there is a difference between a job meant to be temporary (e.g., restaurant waiter/waitress) vs a job meant to be professional (e.g., engineer). For those temporary part time jobs, they would be more than understanding, as nobody expects you to make a living doing that for life. However, with a professional job like engineering, employers expect you to be a long term employee of the company. In those cases, you don't even tell your employer that you are searching for a new job until you put in your two weeks. When wanting to change jobs, that is basically the only case where your prospective employer should be okay with you refusing to allow contact for a reference. Your prospective employer is generally understanding that you don't want your current employer to know that you intend to change jobs. Similarly, I don't want my employer to know that I came in with the intent of only staying for a year. If they knew that, they could fire me for not being the long term investment which they thought I was going to be.

Well, there is a difference between a job meant to be temporary (e.g., restaurant waiter/waitress) vs a job meant to be professional (e.g., engineer). For those temporary part time jobs, they would be more than understanding, as nobody expects you to make a living doing that for life. However, with a professional job like engineering, employers expect you to be a long term employee of the company. In those cases, you don't even tell your employer that you are searching for a new job until you put in your two weeks. When wanting to change jobs, that is basically the only case where your prospective employer should be okay with you refusing to allow contact for a reference. Your prospective employer is generally understanding that you don't want your current employer to know that you intend to change jobs. Similarly, I don't want my employer to know that I came in with the intent of only staying for a year. If they knew that, they could fire me for not being the long term investment which they thought I was going to be.
Yea, I totally understand where you were coming from in terms of short term or long term. I wouldn't breath a word about leaving unless it was set in stone. I just wouldn't want you to be fired for telling them the truth, and I wouldn't want you to get fired for being caught in a lie.

Interview #1
School: LSU
Notification date: July 3rd
Method of notification:
Email
Application complete date:
June 18th
Dates available OR your interview date: Interviewed Aug 3

Interview #2
School: Iowa
Notification date: June 20th
Method of notification:
Email
June 18th
Dates available OR your interview date: Interviewed Aug 30th
Congratulations!! I'm interviewing at LSU on 10/26. If you don't mind, can you please share your interview experience.

Pretty sure that means that once you schedule a date with them, they will not reschedule your interview?

We were trying to talk about excuses for getting out of work or school to make it to the interviews.

OHHHHHH my bad - I misunderstood!

Congratulations!! I'm interviewing at LSU on 10/26. If you don't mind, can you please share your interview experience.
Interview was extremely laid-back, as long as you've practiced your chalk carvings you have nothing to worry about!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Interview #1!!!
School:
UIC
Notification date: Oct 15
Residency: Illinois
AADSAS mail-out date: June 22
Application complete date: July 6
GPA (science, overall): 2.62, 2.76
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 19, 18, 20, 21, none
Dates available OR your interview date: Interview on Nov 2. The only other date was the 5th

Reactions: 15 users
Interview #1
School:
Iowa
Notification date: Date
Residency: IA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/1/18
Application complete date: 7/18/18
GPA (science, overall): 3.84, 3.86
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/26/24/21/none
Your interview date: 9/11/18

Reactions: 3 users
Finally 1000 messages; millennials!

Interview #2
School:
Louisiana State Univeristy
Notification date: 10/16/2018
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/05/018(complete), 6/11/18 (verified)
GPA (science, overall): 3.23 3.26
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/20/20/none
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/16

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #2
School: NYU

Notification date: 10/16/18
Residency: CA
AADSAS mail-out date:
7/11/18
Application complete date: 7/18/18
GPA (science, overall): sGPA 2.91, oGPA 3.05, post-bacc GPA 3.97
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/23/19/29/None below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: November 12; October 25 and November 13 also available

Interview #4
School:
UNE
Residency: NM
AADSAS mail-out date: 8/8/18
Application complete date: 8/13/18
GPA (science, overall): sGPA 3.25, oGPA 3.20,
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 23/22/21/23/None below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: November 12;

Last edited:
Interview #4
School:
MWU AZ
Notification date: 10/16/18 at 4 am lol
Residency: KS
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/5
Application complete date: 6/5
GPA (science, overall): 3.2, 3.4
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/21/18/23/16 qr
Dates available OR your interview date: Feb 7th was the only available

Reactions: 2 users
Interview #5
School: Pitt
Method of notification : email
Residency: Ohio
AADSAS mail-out date: 06/08/18
Application complete date: 06/19/18
GPA(Science, overall): 3.64, 3.75
DAT (AA/ TS/ PAT/ Reading/ any section below a 17): 21/19/21/24/none
Interview Dates: 10/29

Hi, I am wondering if everyone's degree in here is biology? Is there anyone with engineering major

I was a Plant Science/ Animal Science double major (heavy science focus, 80% of pre dent pre reqs were course requirements) and am applying in my gap year! I have received 4 interview invites so far, and finished my application kind of late (Sept 20th). I would reckon a unique background can't hurt! I will list the invites in the upcoming days. There is hope for (semi) late nontraditional applicants!

Last edited:
I'm a returning student/career changer, much older than most of you guys (44 years old). I started in a hole with a 1.8 GPA but worked hard and improved my grades. I'm very happy that I've gotten 2 interviews!

Interview #1
School: University of Colorado, CU
Notification date:
September 7th, 2018
Application complete date: Aug 6th, 2018
GPA (science, overall): 3.33, 3.60
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/21/21, none
Dates available OR your interview date: Oct 20, 2018

Interview #2
School: University California, San Francisco, UCSF
Notification date:
October 1st, 2018
Dates available OR your interview date: Oct 12, 2018

Interview #3
School:
University of Utah
Notification date: October 11th, 2018
Dates available OR your interview date: November 5th, 2018

Interview: #6
School:
Dental College of Georgia
Notification date: 10/16
Method of notification:
Email
Residency: GA
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/31
Application complete date: 9/16
GPA:
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 20/20/22/19/none
Interview date: 10/29. They still have 6 dates available for pre-dec interviews (including the date i chose). all mondays and 1 friday available.

Interview: #7
School:
University of Kentucky
Notification date: 10/17
Method of notification:
Email
Application complete date: 9/06
GPA:
Interview date: 10/26

SOOOOOOOOOOO excited for this opportunity!! these are my top two choices, i feel very blessed!

Interview: #6
School:
Dental College of Georgia
Notification date: 10/16
Method of notification:
Email
Application complete date: 9/16
GPA:
Interview date: 10/29. They still have 6 dates available for pre-dec interviews (including the date i chose). all mondays and 1 friday available.

Interview: #7
School:
University of Kentucky
Method of notification:
Email
Application complete date: 9/06
GPA:
Interview date: 10/26

SOOOOOOOOOOO excited for this opportunity!! these are my top two choices, i feel very blessed!

you're having a great week
congrats!

Interview #4
School: Indiana
Notification date:
10/17/18
Residency: OH
8/27/18
GPA: s oGPA 3.14
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/25/22/22/None below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: They asked to rank your preference between 10/31, 11/1, 11/2, 11/5

Last edited:
Interview #7
School:
Loma Linda
Notification date: 10/17/18
AADSAS mail-out date: 7/17
Application complete date: 8/13
GPA: 3.54 sGPA, 3.63 oGPA
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/23/21/20/none

Interview #4
School: Indiana
Notification date:
10/17/18
Residency: OH
8/27/18
GPA: s oGPA 3.14
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/25/22/22/None below 17
Dates available OR your interview date: They asked to rank your preference between 10/31, 11/1, 11/2, 11/4

Are they really conducting interviews on a Sunday?

Interview #6
School:
Indiana
Method of notification: E-mail
AADSAS mail-out date: 6/5
Application complete date: 8/24
GPA (science, overall): 3.07, 3.18
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 21/22/24/23/None, but 18 QR
Dates available OR your interview date: 10/31, 11/1, 11/2, 11/5 available

Reactions: 6 users
Interview #3
School: Tufts

Notification date: 10/18
Method of notification: E-mail
Residency: MA
AADSAS mail-out date: Mid August
Application complete date: Mid August
GPA (science, overall): 3.6, 3.6 (very strong upward trend)
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 22/20/19/28/None (26 Bio)
Dates available OR your interview date: 11/5, 11/6

Wicked excited!!!

Interview #2
School: UTSD at Houston
Notification date: 10/19/2018
Residency: TX
TMDSAS mail-out date: 6/15/2018
GPA (BCPM, Overall): 3.74, 3.70
DAT (AA/TS/PAT/Reading/any section below a 17): 24/22/26/22/None
Interview date: 11/06/2018