COMLEX Official 2018 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

• Thread starter ThrowAwayStepDO
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThrowAwayStepDO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wondering if you were able to finish comsae in time? I took comsae and was able to finish it with 30min to spare, but I'm worrying about real deal having way too long question stems.
comsae I finished fairly on time, about 15 minutes to spare.

Hey guys, for COMQUEST - what does the 59% line for passing mean exactly? Also I've been told that being around 62-65% usually predicts you can score "average" around 500-510. Not sure how true that is.

I'm about ~75% done with it and I've been stuck in the 57-58% the whole time. For about 30% of what I get wrong, I get stuck between two choices and often choose the "second best" answer. For reference, I averaged a ~440 on COMSAE B/E. Weirdly enough I score around low 70s on UWorld in my 2nd pass currently.
Passing Score
A consistent score above this indicates a statistically significant likelihood that you will score above average on your exam.

Hit the i icon next to:
COMLEX Level 1 Dashboard

I took COMLEX on 8/27, here are my thoughts:

I prepped using the Boards Bootcamp Program and UFAP as well as COMQUEST. I was scoring in the high 70%-100% ranges on my 10 question blocks that I would do on COMQUEST. My final average for COMQUEST before I took the exam was a 65%.

Now we go to test day:

What an absolutely horrible exam in my opinion. Poorly written questions, the OMM that was easy was easy but the OMM that was hard was just unanswerable. Felt like 50% of my exam was OMM and viscerosomatics, 10% was random difficult ethics questions that I usually do well on but these just had 3 options that were all valid IMO, the rest was a variety of mainly physiology, then path, then micro, then pharm.

My BIGGEST gripe about my exam was that it truly felt like the test maker for that specific exam went through ALL of our first two years of material and chose like 5 topics and then wrote the ENTIRE exam based on these 5 topics with barely any regard for the rest of the preclinical knowledge we got. Literally almost repeating questions just using different wording. I feel like I wasn't tested on the breadth of knowledge I prepared for and by them honing in on so few topics it really set me up for failure. Not a single question about mechanisms for antibiotics, not a single question about any of the autoimmune diseases (maybe 1 or 2 but felt like hardly any), literally almost zero renal path questions, I can keep going.

All in all, I genuinely feel like I failed that exam when I shouldn't have based on my practice sets and my confidence going in. Please PM me or reply if you have any questions or feel like you can relate!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
[
I took COMLEX on 8/27, here are my thoughts:

I prepped using the Boards Bootcamp Program and UFAP as well as COMQUEST. I was scoring in the high 70%-100% ranges on my 10 question blocks that I would do on COMQUEST. My final average for COMQUEST before I took the exam was a 65%.

Now we go to test day:

What an absolutely horrible exam in my opinion. Poorly written questions, the OMM that was easy was easy but the OMM that was hard was just unanswerable. Felt like 50% of my exam was OMM and viscerosomatics, 10% was random difficult ethics questions that I usually do well on but these just had 3 options that were all valid IMO, the rest was a variety of mainly physiology, then path, then micro, then pharm.

My BIGGEST gripe about my exam was that it truly felt like the test maker for that specific exam went through ALL of our first two years of material and chose like 5 topics and then wrote the ENTIRE exam based on these 5 topics with barely any regard for the rest of the preclinical knowledge we got. Literally almost repeating questions just using different wording. I feel like I wasn't tested on the breadth of knowledge I prepared for and by them honing in on so few topics it really set me up for failure. Not a single question about mechanisms for antibiotics, not a single question about any of the autoimmune diseases (maybe 1 or 2 but felt like hardly any), literally almost zero renal path questions, I can keep going.

All in all, I genuinely feel like I failed that exam when I shouldn't have based on my practice sets and my confidence going in. Please PM me or reply if you have any questions or feel like you can relate!

hey I also took it 8/27 and feel very very similar. honestly im just so numb and upset. got a 510 on comsae E a week earlier but I really think I might have failed. I feel like the questions were straightforward but you either knew it or you didnt. and I made so many dumb mistakes too. :((((((

Reactions: 1 user
[

hey I also took it 8/27 and feel very very similar. honestly im just so numb and upset. got a 510 on comsae E a week earlier but I really think I might have failed. I feel like the questions were straightforward but you either knew it or you didnt. and I made so many dumb mistakes too. :((((((

If you scored that well on the COMSAE and also felt like the questions were straightforward then I'm sure you did well! Just a natural reaction after taking that horrible exam :(

[

Same, I was about your score in the 500s for comsae E. Doing well on combanks. Come test day, I missed 12 qs on block 4. Just not feeling so good after this one. I didn’t take other comsaes though, just the combank questions and uworld. Read thru first aid too multiple times. The timer and vagueness of qs threw me off a bit. I am honestly praying everyday I pass that exam.

At my school, students generally scored the same on their COMLEX as their COMSAE E. However, the school administered COMSAE E a month before the students take their COMLEX. I think COMSAE E overpredicts by a little bit.

COMSAE E is a really easy COMSAE. It's heavy on micro and pharm with a lot of buzz words. All you need to memorize is sketchy pharm and sketchy micro and you can score high on that. The actual COMLEX is harder, since there's much more randomness to it, less buzzwords, slightly longer stems/ more distractors, and there's double the number of test questions.

I think COMSAE C is probably a much better predictor of your actual COMLEX. People in the past say that COMSAE C underpredicts your score, but I think for this year, it predicted right on target since I have the feeling that the curve this year got destroyed compared to last year.

Last edited:
Passing Score
A consistent score above this indicates a statistically significant likelihood that you will score above average on your exam.

Hit the i icon next to:
COMLEX Level 1 Dashboard

Thank you for the clarification!

I know that's what it says on Comquest, but that's not true. A 59% most likely means you'll just pass the COMLEX, not that you'll score above average on the COMLEX. My average on COMQUEST was in the 70s and I scored just slightly above average on the real thing. (Assuming the average was a 520.) I know others in my school with similar results as me.

I wouldn't take the COMLEX unless you're scoring at least 65% on COMBANK and COMQUEST. There's too much randomness to COMLEX and having to sit through 9 hours doing 400 questions is really mentally exhausting, so you must account for that.

Thanks, my past few comsaes were nearly identical to the percentile comquest gave me. And same for a recent friend who sat for it (I think they had a 62-63% average)
How did you know the percentile for comsae? How do you compared your comsae with your qbank average? What’s 62-63% comquest average equal to?

Thanks, my past few comsaes were nearly identical to the percentile comquest gave me. And same for a recent friend who sat for it (I think they had a 62-63% average)

Every COMSAE is different. A is much easier in grading than the others (B and C.) I have friends who scored radically different between those exams.

I would even say COMSAE, Comquest, and Combank q's are all different and have different styles/length compared to the actual Comlex.

The only good thing on the Comlex, IMO, is that they give you the normal values within the stem itself, so you don't have to click on the lab values and look for them.

Last edited:
How did you know the percentile for comsae? How do you compared your comsae with your qbank average? What’s 62-63% comquest average equal to?

If you're scoring 62-63% correct on Comquest, you are scoring in the 32-33 percentile, which would be a 480 in the COMLEX in 2016-2017. I don't count last year's scores since the average has been at 40 points higher than the year before. And this year is when they recorrected the curve.

A 59% correct on Comquest is around a 460 in terms of percentile.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apologize if this was asked before, but can anyone list top represented subjects for comlex: I've heard about 80% of it is Path, Pharm, Micro, OMM, MSK - while the rest is 20% interspersed not sure if it's true or not? Thanks

Apologize if this was asked before, but can anyone list top represented subjects for comlex: I've heard about 80% of it is Path, Pharm, Micro, OMM, MSK - while the rest is 20% interspersed not sure if it's true or not? Thanks

That’s pretty much the general consensus. Exams sometimes do vary wildly though so you just have to buckle in for the ride and try your best to know everything.

for those waiting on their AUGUST 13-27, 2018 exams, I just emailed NBOME and they replied:

"Thank you for contacting the NBOME. COMLEX Level 1 scores will be released today by 4:30 pm CST"

Reactions: 1 users
I know of some people getting an email that their scores were released around 2:30 pm

Scored ~70 points lower than comsaes. Got a 457. Anyone know if I'll be ok to match into Peds with this? Any advice would be great. Im a little freaked out rn. Haven't taken usmle yet

What were your weakpoints? I’d probably hold off on taking step until you feel you can comfortably score >220ish. PM me if you have any questions.