COMLEX Official 2018 Comlex 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

• Thread starter ThrowAwayStepDO
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
T

ThrowAwayStepDO

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
n=1; pretty indicative for me. Below average student though but hopefully this helps people like me in the future?

UWSA1 3 months out; pre-dedicated: 175
COMSAE A 7 weeks out: 480
COMSAE E 5 weeks out: 420
COMSAE B 2 weeks out: 460
8/27 COMLEX: 490

Felt E noticeably harder than B which was slightly harder to A.

Actual exam for me felt easier than any of the COMSAEs (maybe similar to A) personally though YMMV. A lot of first order questions that I just couldn't recall the answers for but with wordier stems than the comsaes, but try to start from the bottom, read the answer choices, and then skim the stem for just pertinent info. Heard it's weighted a little heavier for OMM but I've never really been good at it. Sketchy pharm/micro and pathoma were personally enough for right arrows.

UWORLD tutor/random 1x @ 52%, finished between comsae A and B.
COMBANK 1x @ 64% would do blocks in weaker sections > stronger sections
COMQUEST 800 q's @ 40 q random blocks, about 63%
First Aid 1x
Pathoma 1.5x videos + reread it a lot (maybe 4 passes?)
Sketchy Micro 2x
Sketchy Pharm 1x skipped all the penicillins, macrolides, fluroquinolones, NSAIDS, and that race track one (just couldn't ever get through any of them or get them to stick so I just firstaided those).
A little bit of B&B for sections I was bad in (endo, cardio phys, resp phys, anat, biochem)

Really wanted to break 500; but also felt this was the score I deserved; just coasted for the first two years and always felt a little burnt out/unconfident even prior to getting into med school. Felt like I taught myself like 75% of the material during dedicated. I couldn't seem to be able to do the 10 hour studying periods most people do during dedicated, I would put in maybe 6-8 hours/day with a day off a week?

At the end I felt it was just a memorization game, and that the slow grind/understanding material didn't really help cause I would lose it all after two weeks if I didn't keep going back to refresh and there's only so much brain power I had. So I felt like I was trying to cram what I felt I was worst at into the last 2-3 weeks? I would just read as much FA as I could and then do a bunch of Q's focused on what I read and randomly to make sure I didn't forget other sections completely.

I don't know how this strategy would hold up for STEP since I feel you have to think a lot more on those questions whereas comlex reminded me of COMBANK questions with ~Comquest/Uworld length stems so very first order recall questions, but for comlex I would just try to review your weakest sections in the two weeks leading up to it and pray

You did very well considering your situation. Congratulations! I would be proud of that score. You did better than any of your Comsaes. Many people I know have done worse. I completely agree with your assessment about Comlex.

My situation mirrors yours a lot. I would start memorizing the material like a week or two before my exams during the school year 1 and 2, and then soon after forget completely in two days or so. It worked well enough during school that it propelled me to the top 25% of the class, but I ended up in the beginning of dedicated not remembering anything or being adequately prepared for the boards. I felt like my whole 2nd year was wasted. Right before dedicated, I had not opened my FA book once, did NOT do UWORLD, and did maybe less than half of COMBANK spread throughout 2nd year. Obviously I had forgotten all the questions by then. Did Pathoma 1x during the school year, and another 1x during dedicated. Did maybe 1/4-1/3 of FA first pass by the end of dedicated, and finished all of COMQUEST and did half of COMBANK. I also did Sketchy Micro 1-2x, Sketchy Pharm 1-2x, and Sketchy Path 1x. As you can probably tell, I really felt like I didn't know anything when dedicated started. Everyone was definitely more prepared than me, and focused on actual boards prep when I focused mostly on my schoolwork and classes that were not as relevant to boards and more relevant to Level 2. Some already had finished 2 passes of UWORLD and 1 pass of COMBANK before dedicated even began. Even by the end of dedicated, I felt like there was too much information overload that I started to forget a lot of material and had huge gaps in understanding and I was still behind most of my classmates. I felt like I was in big trouble.

My COMSAE E Timed 8 weeks out was below a 440, not passing my school requirement to even take the COMLEX and way below average for the school.
My COMSAE C Timed 6 weeks out was slightly above 460, just BARELY passing my school requirement.
My COMSAE A Untimed 4 weeks out was a 580 --> Fluke I know, because COMSAE A was way easier than actual and it was untimed, so it was more leisurely.

I was really freaking out the weeks leading up to my test, knowing that I didn't do nearly as much preparation as many of my classmates or SDNers on here did. I did not touch UWORLD, and my averages varied wildly on 50q random timed on COMQUEST, getting around mid-high 60s.

Come test day, I couldn't sleep much the night before, tossing and turning a lot. I was really feeling bummed out. I felt like I should've done UWORLD and FA like all my other classmates did instead of focusing on class.

At the exam center, I just started my first block. First question popped up, and I was like F*** I don't even know how to answer it. A lot of the q's sound so familiar but at the same time, I felt not confident at all answering the questions. After the initial shock, I started to answer them the best I could, feeling only 60-70% confident on each q I answered and at least 25 percent of the exam I was stuck between 2 answers. Time was a problem for me. I would barely have less than 5 minutes before the exam time was up for each block. (I made sure I only had 1 hour per bock.) However, by block 6 I was really burning out and couldn't focus very well, and basically felt super rushed. Each question took me longer than usual to answer. I finished the exam with basically no time to spare. To catch up, I just looked for buzz words and answer from the answer choices without actually reading the q's. My questions were widely distributed. I had lots of OMM, pharm, micro, physio, and path. I had no psych, maybe 1-2 biochem questions, and 3-4 heme/onc questions. The OMM questions were mostly easy, with the exception of some that are out there I've never heard of before. I felt horrible after the exam; I knew that I felt slightly more confident than I did for the COMSAE's but still felt crappy. I knew I made a lot of silly mistakes, especially for the q's that were just pure rote memorization. I really underestimated the 9 hour exam and how grueling it really is. I had never taken an exam that long before.

I felt the actual was very similar in difficulty to COMSAE, but with slightly longer stems. After coming out, I felt like I would be happy to get above a 500.

To all those who say to NOT do COMSAE to prepare for COMLEX level 1, I would say that you're wrong. I don't want to hint at anything, but let's just say it is to your EXTREME benefit to do them, for reasons I cannot discuss. My only wish is that I also did COMSAE B.

A month later I received my score and was shocked. I scored above 525 and I was content. I scored more than 100 points above my COMSAE E. After my experience taking the Comlex, it totally scarred me and I did not want to take the USMLE Step 1 because of how much of a high stakes exam it is, and without doing UWORLD and most of FA, I knew I would probably not do well enough to benefit me. Taking the Comlex nearly killed me, and I can't imagine taking Step 1 that required more thought. I was looking to do something in primary care anyways, and I think my score was sufficient for that purpose.

TLDR:
I hope my experiences help others on here, especially those who feel underprepared. I was definitely underprepared, and didn't even use the resources most of the students in my class used. I did not touch UWORLD, did 1/4-1/3 of FA first pass, did Pathoma 1x during the school year and another 1x during dedicated, did Sketchy Micro and Pharm 1-2x depending on the section, and Sketchy Path 1x. I only used COMQUEST and half of COMBANK. I used the 10 weeks dedicated I had to learn as much as possible, starting from scratch basically.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
didn't take step 1, but if I take step 2 and apply will I have a good shot?

Step 2 won't do much for you. Step 1 is what matters more. Your score is pretty darn good considering this year's crappy curve.

I wouldn't risk taking another high stakes exam unless you're scoring comfortably well in your NBME's.

Step 2 won't do much for you. Step 1 is what matters more. Your score is pretty darn good considering this year's crappy curve.

I wouldn't risk taking another high stakes exam unless you're scoring comfortably well in your NBME's.

Pls don't talk if you don't know anything.

Scored ~70 points lower than comsaes. Got a 457. Anyone know if I'll be ok to match into Peds with this? Any advice would be great. Im a little freaked out rn. Haven't taken usmle yet

My school's average student who got into ACGME Peds in 2018 had a 530-560 Comlex Level 1 average. I'm not sure your demographic, but you can ask your school about it.

Last edited:
didn't take step 1, but if I take step 2 and apply will I have a good shot?

Highly suggest for you to make time and take both if you want to be competitive for the ACGME Gas match. Gas programs value Step 2 more, but they will need both Step 1 and Step 2 to evaluate you against other MD applicants. That's the prevailing theme on the Gas forum even among DO attendings.

Would highly suggest to reach out to a Gas attending to ask for guidance instead of listening to some MSIIIers here who may misguide you, including me.

Gas 2017-2018 cycle II yield

Just to get a feel for the stats you need to be competitive along with the NRMP 2018 data

This is how anesthesiology PD's rank applicants, in order of importance, according to 2016 NRMP data.

USMLE Step 1/COMLEX Level 1 score
Letters of recommendation in the specialty
Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE/Dean's Letter)
USMLE Step 2 CK/COMLEX Level 2 CE score
Grades in required clerkships
Personal Statement
Class ranking/quartile
Any failed attempt in USMLE/COMLEX
Grades in clerkship in desired specialty
Evidence of professionalism and ethics
Perceived commitment to specialty
Personal prior knowledge of the applicant

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

My school also sent us specialty sheets that were updated for 2018. This is on the report:

Top 5 factors Anesthesiology PD's use in selecting applicants to interview and in ranking from 2018 NRMP PD Survey:

Obtaining an Interview:
1. Level 1/Step 1
2. LOR from physicians in the specialty
3. MSPE
4. Level 2 CE/Step 2 CK
5. Personal Statement

Ranking after interview:
1. Interactions with faculty
2. Interpersonal skills
3. Interactions with housestaff
4. Feedback from residents
5. Level 1/Step 1

Do you see what I mean now? Step 2 is important, but Step 1/Comlex Level 1 matters a heck of a lot more. Step 2 isn't necessary, as Comlex Level 2 will be just as good. I have friends who successfully matched to ACGME Anesthesiology without a Step 2. Most DO students do NOT take a Step 2. While a really good Step 2 will benefit you, I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you're confident you'll do well on that exam. My school matched 10 students into ACGME anesthesiology this year. I trust the reports from my school, which compiles data of all the students from my school who matched into anesthesiology in the past 6 years more than what SDN provides. It's really disheartening to see how much misinformation is posted online and on here.

And there are people on SDN who spread more hysteria than usual especially because of the merger and tell everyone to take Step 1, Step 2, etc. It honestly depends on an individual case by case basis, and what type of program/location of where they want to go. Obviously, the more competitive ones may prefer a Step 2, but if you're just looking to get into an anesthesiology program, and your Comlex scores aren't like above 600's and getting 240-250's on your Step 1's, there's no need to try to appease those super competitive PDs and burn yourself out for them.

Last edited:
n=1; pretty indicative for me. Below average student though but hopefully this helps people like me in the future?

UWSA1 3 months out; pre-dedicated: 175
COMSAE A 7 weeks out: 480
COMSAE E 5 weeks out: 420
COMSAE B 2 weeks out: 460
8/27 COMLEX: 490

Felt E noticeably harder than B which was slightly harder to A.

Actual exam for me felt easier than any of the COMSAEs (maybe similar to A) personally though YMMV. A lot of first order questions that I just couldn't recall the answers for but with wordier stems than the comsaes, but try to start from the bottom, read the answer choices, and then skim the stem for just pertinent info. Heard it's weighted a little heavier for OMM but I've never really been good at it. Sketchy pharm/micro and pathoma were personally enough for right arrows.

UWORLD tutor/random 1x @ 52%, finished between comsae A and B.
COMBANK 1x @ 64% would do blocks in weaker sections > stronger sections
COMQUEST 800 q's @ 40 q random blocks, about 63%
First Aid 1x
Pathoma 1.5x videos + reread it a lot (maybe 4 passes?)
Sketchy Micro 2x
Sketchy Pharm 1x skipped all the penicillins, macrolides, fluroquinolones, NSAIDS, and that race track one (just couldn't ever get through any of them or get them to stick so I just firstaided those).
A little bit of B&B for sections I was bad in (endo, cardio phys, resp phys, anat, biochem)

Really wanted to break 500; but also felt this was the score I deserved; just coasted for the first two years and always felt a little burnt out/unconfident even prior to getting into med school. Felt like I taught myself like 75% of the material during dedicated. I couldn't seem to be able to do the 10 hour studying periods most people do during dedicated, I would put in maybe 6-8 hours/day with a day off a week?

At the end I felt it was just a memorization game, and that the slow grind/understanding material didn't really help cause I would lose it all after two weeks if I didn't keep going back to refresh and there's only so much brain power I had. So I felt like I was trying to cram what I felt I was worst at into the last 2-3 weeks? I would just read as much FA as I could and then do a bunch of Q's focused on what I read and randomly to make sure I didn't forget other sections completely.

I don't know how this strategy would hold up for STEP since I feel you have to think a lot more on those questions whereas comlex reminded me of COMBANK questions with ~Comquest/Uworld length stems so very first order recall questions, but for comlex I would just try to review your weakest sections in the two weeks leading up to it and pray

Can you please comment on timing left on comsae vs comlex for you? I was able to finish comsae with 25min to spare, but I'm worried about comlex longer question stems.

Can you please comment on timing left on comsae vs comlex for you? I was able to finish comsae with 25min to spare, but I'm worried about comlex longer question stems.

Comlex questions are longer than Comsae. I also finished Comsae really early, like more than 30 min before time was up. The questions seemed short, simple, and "you either know it or you don't type."

Comlex is just like that, except each question stem is longer and similar in difficulty to Comsae. You should be fine on timing for Comlex, especially that you're finishing early on Comsae. The problem is the stamina. Comlex is twice as long as Comsae. If you can maintain your pace throughout the exam, you should be fine.

I finished each 50q block on the Comlex with less 5 minutes to spare. I desperately needed it as a break to continue for the next 50q, as you only get an actual break per 100 questions you do. You should scroll up and read my lengthy post about the Comlex.

Can anyone who just took it this month of September please give some feedback on how they felt afterwards? Was it a good representation of material or was it heavy on selected subjects like other people have experienced? Mine's coming up soon so I'm starting to freak out lol

also, congrats to those of you who just got your scores and passed!

Members don't see this ad :)
This is how anesthesiology PD's rank applicants, in order of importance, according to 2016 NRMP data.

USMLE Step 1/COMLEX Level 1 score
Letters of recommendation in the specialty
Medical Student Performance Evaluation (MSPE/Dean's Letter)
USMLE Step 2 CK/COMLEX Level 2 CE score
Grades in required clerkships
Personal Statement
Class ranking/quartile
Any failed attempt in USMLE/COMLEX
Grades in clerkship in desired specialty
Evidence of professionalism and ethics
Perceived commitment to specialty
Personal prior knowledge of the applicant

http://www.nrmp.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/NRMP-2016-Program-Director-Survey.pdf

My school also sent us specialty sheets that were updated for 2018. This is on the report:

Top 5 factors Anesthesiology PD's use in selecting applicants to interview and in ranking from 2018 NRMP PD Survey:

Obtaining an Interview:
1. Level 1/Step 1
2. LOR from physicians in the specialty
3. MSPE
4. Level 2 CE/Step 2 CK
5. Personal Statement

Ranking after interview:
1. Interactions with faculty
2. Interpersonal skills
3. Interactions with housestaff
4. Feedback from residents
5. Level 1/Step 1

Do you see what I mean now? Step 2 is important, but Step 1/Comlex Level 1 matters a heck of a lot more. Step 2 isn't necessary, as Comlex Level 2 will be just as good. I have friends who successfully matched to ACGME Anesthesiology without a Step 2. Most DO students do NOT take a Step 2. While a really good Step 2 will benefit you, I wouldn't recommend taking it unless you're confident you'll do well on that exam. My school matched 10 students into ACGME anesthesiology this year. I trust the reports from my school, which compiles data of all the students from my school who matched into anesthesiology in the past 6 years more than what SDN provides. It's really disheartening to see how much misinformation is posted online and on here.

And there are people on SDN who spread more hysteria than usual especially because of the merger and tell everyone to take Step 1, Step 2, etc. It honestly depends on an individual case by case basis, and what type of program/location of where they want to go. Obviously, the more competitive ones may prefer a Step 2, but if you're just looking to get into an anesthesiology program, and your Comlex scores aren't like above 600's and getting 240-250's on your Step 1's, there's no need to try to appease those super competitive PDs and burn yourself out for them.
Do You have any idea of the range of COMLEX and USMLE scores the 10 people who matched received? Did your school suggest what scores you would need to have reasonable certainty of matching in Anesthesiology?

Do You have any idea of the range of COMLEX and USMLE scores the 10 people who matched received? Did your school suggest what scores you would need to have reasonable certainty of matching in Anesthesiology?

My school only reported the Comlex averages of those who matched into ACGME. The ranges are in the 550s this year and 560s in the previous years. Obviously some took the USMLE, but the school doesn't report that. I know of someone who got in with a score in the 230s this year.

For people who think to take USMLE on top of Comlex, well make sure you're scoring above a 220 on your NBME's, or else it won't even matter.

Poor Boards- What do I do?

This person had a decent Comlex, but then only got a 203 in Step 1.

For people who think to take USMLE on top of Comlex, well make sure you're scoring above a 220 on your NBME's, or else it won't even matter.

Poor Boards- What do I do?

This person had a decent Comlex, but then only got a 203 in Step 1.

I got 446 on comsae recently and have comlex in 5 days. Can't postpone anymore as rotations start right after exam. So I'm pretty sure I won't score higher than that dude in your link. However, I wonder if I can study for step 1 for first 3 rotations and take it around Christmas vacation? I'm thinking with 3 months left till Christmas I can realistically aim at 220. The only thing I'm not sure is if it's realistic to study for step 1 while on rotations?

My school only reported the Comlex averages of those who matched into ACGME. The ranges are in the 550s this year and 560s in the previous years. Obviously some took the USMLE, but the school doesn't report that. I know of someone who got in with a score in the 230s this year.

@shadowlightfox Typical bushido stuff from RowanSom here

I don't even want to reply to mathnerd88 since he's just one of those DOs with only COMLEX who will be applying to a moderately competitive specialty. But, fresh data from my MD advisor from the most recent matched class for GAS tell us of the averages being around Level 1 550-570, Level 2 550-570, and USMLE Step 1 of 220-230. However, the advice for me is to withhold all my COMLEX scores and release my USMLE scores for my top three specialties -- all of them are moderately competitive for DOs. This advisor is a graduate of a top five MD school in the NE who still maintains strong connections to PDs of strong IM programs in both the NE and the West Coast.

So, take it for what it's worth. Always reach out for advice from legit mentors in the real world with real connections instead of sdn bums who lie or spread false info on the Internet.

I don't even want to reply to mathnerd88 since he's just one of those DOs with only COMLEX who will be applying to a moderately competitive specialty. But, fresh data from my MD advisor from the most recent matched class for GAS tell us of the averages being around Level 1 550-570, Level 2 550-570, and USMLE Step 1 of 220-230. However, the advice for me is to withhold all my COMLEX scores and release my USMLE scores for my top three specialties -- all of them are moderately competitive for DOs. This advisor is a graduate of a top five MD school in the NE who still maintains strong connections to PDs of strong IM programs in both the NE and the West Coast.

So, take it for what it's worth. Always reach out for advice from legit mentors in the real world with real connections instead of sdn bums who lie or spread false info on the Internet.

I don't want to get into an argument here. But you don't have a good Comlex score (470s) but you have a good USMLE Step 1 score (230s). There's obviously bias here and I know you're salty about the Comlex. Nobody knows exactly what's going to happen after the merger.

Also your situation is more rare, and it is a lot more in the other situation, where they have a high Comlex and low Step 1. I can't recommend people with low Comlex to take Step 1 unless they're demonstrating good NBME scores consistently. Even Goro doesn't recommend Step 1 for people with lowerish Comlex scores. Your original premise was to convince people who got low scores on Comlex to "work hard" and to take Step 1 and Step 2. It's not that simple. You have to look at each individual case by case.

I'm just reporting what people from my school and I've talked to students from other DO schools, so like I said, take it with a grain of salt.

And for the record, I never said that USMLE Step 1 isn't necessary for GAS. I said Step 2 was not necessary. Let's agree to disagree here and stop trying to put words in my mouth.

Last edited:
I got 446 on comsae recently and have comlex in 5 days. Can't postpone anymore as rotations start right after exam. So I'm pretty sure I won't score higher than that dude in your link. However, I wonder if I can study for step 1 for first 3 rotations and take it around Christmas vacation? I'm thinking with 3 months left till Christmas I can realistically aim at 220. The only thing I'm not sure is if it's realistic to study for step 1 while on rotations?

For me, it's not possible unless you take some of your flex time and take time off for dedicated study. Rotations will be tough depending on which one you're at. Mine makes me stay at least 10-12 hours per day. Realistically, I feel like I'm inadequately prepared for even shelf exams because I'm always tired afterwards and need to crash/nap. Plus, if you're doing a rotation you're not interested in makes it worse haha.

I'm trying to serve over 35-40 patients per day at times. Some rotations make work with a resident, which is easier, but others (like mine) you work with a doctor who sometimes will ask you to go in yourself. I'm still on the fence if I'm taking the Step 1 exam or not. I'm going to meet with my advisor soon and have a chat. My Comlex score should be adequate for IM, but I'll see as time goes on. And as I said before, if you're just looking to do FM and IM, Comlex only should suffice.

Also, which COMSAE did you take?

Last edited:

Whoa its possible to not release your COMLEX score to ACGME programs?

For me, it's not possible unless you take some of your flex time and take time off for dedicated study. Rotations will be tough depending on which one you're at. Mine makes me stay at least 10-12 hours per day. Realistically, I feel like I'm inadequately prepared for even shelf exams because I'm always tired afterwards and need to crash/nap. Plus, if you're doing a rotation you're not interested in makes it worse haha.

I'm trying to serve over 35-40 patients per day at times.
Some rotations make work with a resident, which is easier, but others (like mine) you work with a doctor who sometimes will ask you to go in yourself. I'm still on the fence if I'm taking the Step 1 exam or not. I'm going to meet with my advisor soon and have a chat. My Comlex score should be adequate for IM, but I'll see as time goes on. And as I said before, if you're just looking to do FM and IM, Comlex only should suffice.

Also, which COMSAE did you take?

ROFL

With that volume and efficiency, you might as well tell your preceptor and residents to go home.

No need to learn from those chumps.

Whoa its possible to not release your COMLEX score to ACGME programs?

Possible? Perhaps. I wouldn't do it since it's an ethical gray area.

Also, I'm pretty sure all PD's know that if you're graduating from a DO school, you're required to take the Comlex. Might look fishy if you didn't report the Comlex score at all and just the USMLE. Might look like you're hiding something.

5 min h&p, 3 min presenting, 5 min notes. Next. Let us know where is that to avoid that Hospital

Depends on the day of the week. I'm currently.in outpatient so we follow that many patients. I'm not normally expected to perform all of those tasks for all those patients together within a day. However, I do about 20 h&p while presenting and I do even less notes.

But I do go into all the those patient rooms regardless and discuss with the physician a differential diagnosis and plan.

Have comlex in 2 days. Can anyone please advise what's the best way to split breaks and also what food/carb or drinks to use? Probably a silly question, but I'll appreciate any input.

My main fear is to getting mentally exhausted in second half of exam and because of that (having to reread questions etc) falling behind on timing too.

Lol, but I'm seriously considering some meditation techniques to calm down and rest mentally.

Is there any score conversion online showing what my COMLEX score would be equal to on a USMLE (maybe for percentiles)? What would a 520 on COMLEX level 1 be equal to on the USMLE step 1?

Is there any score conversion online showing what my COMLEX score would be equal to on a USMLE (maybe for percentiles)? What would a 520 on COMLEX level 1 be equal to on the USMLE step 1?

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Based on their algorithm, it should be a 207 on the USMLE Step 1. However, with this year's change in COMLEX scoring, I would expect it to be higher.

I was sure I was going to get a 600+ on the COMLEX, but some how got a 520-530, wtf. I am kinda disappointed by this lol! I was aiming for family medicine anyway, but I feel like I can't be picky with FM residency. On Step I got a 223-226 score.

I was sure I was going to get a 600+ on the COMLEX, but some how got a 520-530, wtf. I am kinda disappointed by this lol! I was aiming for family medicine anyway, but I feel like I can't be picky with FM residency. On Step I got a 223-226 score.

If you're aiming for an FM residency, your Step 1 score alone is more than enough, even in bigger cities. The big issue is this repetitive score adjustment makes comlex scores practically meaningless to ACGME directors that were not previously AOA programs. With the sheer volume of applicants, I'd be completely surprised if any ACGME program directors bothered to figure out score readjustments every several years. With the Step 1 consistently having a mean score between 226-229 for several years in a row, it's really easy for PDs to just look at Step 1 scores and be able to make quick assessments.

If you're aiming for an FM residency, your Step 1 score alone is more than enough, even in bigger cities. The big issue is this repetitive score adjustment makes comlex scores practically meaningless to ACGME directors that were not previously AOA programs. With the sheer volume of applicants, I'd be completely surprised if any ACGME program directors bothered to figure out score readjustments every several years. With the Step 1 consistently having a mean score between 226-229 for several years in a row, it's really easy for PDs to just look at Step 1 scores and be able to make quick assessments.

I just don't get this point for readjustment

PDs aren't going to simply toss every applicant with COMLEX only just because they don't bother to do something. They don't operate simply by "need to bother or not". They do bother, they do know what COMLEX score is, they are not idiots lol. Every PD who has been in business for more than 1 application cycle knows about COMLEX and has an idea what score is good, great or bad. They don't have to know exactly down to 5-10 points. They still going to accept lots of COMLEX only applicants. Lots of them. Repetitive score adjustment will change nothing for PDs - if anything they know that score got harder, NOT easier.

PDs aren't going to simply toss every applicant with COMLEX only just because they don't bother to do something. They don't operate simply by "need to bother or not". They do bother, they do know what COMLEX score is, they are not idiots lol. Every PD who has been in business for more than 1 application cycle knows about COMLEX and has an idea what score is good, great or bad. They don't have to know exactly down to 5-10 points. They still going to accept lots of COMLEX only applicants. Lots of them. Repetitive score adjustment will change nothing for PDs - if anything they know that score got harder, NOT easier.

I’m not saying that people with only Comlex are not going to match. I’m saying that the number of times I’ve seen and heard the comlex referred to as the “complex” or “comsae” by several PDs from nearby academic centers and the data from freida and the 2018 nrmp PD survey has a ridiculous amount of programs that will not accept a comlex only despite this merger going on for several years. Even the way the merger is viewed by the DO vs MD community suggest that for programs that have long been acgme, it’s one of those topics that “may have been mentioned” at some point or other during a board meeting. When you consider that highly sought after programs receive sometimes >200 applicants vying for a seat in the residency, what would incentivize the PD to go research your comlex score to find out that nbome decided to readjust their exam by 40-50 points? The PDs I’ve spoken to are responsible for seeing their own patient loads, deal with logistical work for their program, and travel frequently for conferences and other administrative duties. They’ve already got a ton on their plate without having to deal with significant fluctuations in a score for a test that they’ve never even taken themselves. If you look at the official nbome percentile converter, a score of 550 goes from being in the 65th percentile to the 48th percentile in the last 5 years alone. I don’t even know what my percentile is this year for comlex and I’m a DO student, but I can say with confidence that my Usmle score puts me somewhere in the realm of 52-54th percentile because it has been that way for several years.

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me what time COMLEX starts? I am looking for apartments for next year and I am trying to determine the logistics of where I will take the exam.

1. Is it reasonable to live 1 hour away from the testing site and still be able to sleep in my own bed (as opposed to being in a hotel) the night prior to the exam?
2. Is the test only offered at like 8am or are there afternoon sessions offered also? Any link I could use to see what time the exam is offered?

Thank you.

Hey all,

Can anyone tell me what time COMLEX starts? I am looking for apartments for next year and I am trying to determine the logistics of where I will take the exam.

1. Is it reasonable to live 1 hour away from the testing site and still be able to sleep in my own bed (as opposed to being in a hotel) the night prior to the exam?
2. Is the test only offered at like 8am or are there afternoon sessions offered also? Any link I could use to see what time the exam is offered?

Thank you.

Definitely reasonable. A lot of my classmates had to travel an hour to get to their testing site. And the time that the test starts varies by site with I think a majority being either 8:00 or 9:00. I took mine at 9:00.

Definitely reasonable. A lot of my classmates had to travel an hour to get to their testing site. And the time that the test starts varies by site with I think a majority being either 8:00 or 9:00. I took mine at 9:00.

Thanks! I spoke with a 3rd year recently and I swear I thought she said that she took it starting in the afternoon. Is that possible?

Thanks! I spoke with a 3rd year recently and I swear I thought she said that she took it starting in the afternoon. Is that possible?

I don’t know of any of my friends that took it that late, but if it is possible I feel like that’s gotta be absolutly miserable. It’s such a long test that I feel like if I came in and the sun was up and I went out for a break and the sun was down, I’d be so over it lol

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked but...

OMG-OMT vs Saverese? Or both? Can it be done within 5 days along with other content review like Pathoma/SketchyMicro?
OMG-OMT and Savarese can be done in 2 days easily: Actually OMGOMT is crappy resource, Savarese is enough + look up how to diagnose sacral dysfunctions in 10sec - theres' a youtube video. However, I have no idea how you can do Pathoma/SketchyMicro in the rest 3 days? Not going to happen.

Hey all,

Second year here. When do you guys recommend registering for the test? My school will tell us where we will be for rotations in late January and I might want to take the test near my rotation site. Is it too late to register at that time? When do people typically register? thanks!

Took COMLEX 9/24. It was pretty heavy in heme/neuro and I wasn't sure how I felt coming out, but I guess it wasn't good enough. I thought Micro was super easy on test day, but results say otherwise.

Failed w/ just a few points shy of 400. I was sick on exam day, but not sure if that was the main factor or I just didn't know enough.

Anyone have any recommendations for study materials or review courses specific for COMLEX? I already did the Wolfpacc program (more geared for USMLE). Budget is tight, but I'm willing to spend if the program is good enough and can be taken online.

Or do you think focusing on UFAP is better? I struggled all 2nd year and only went through First Aid once, Pathoma 2x, and finished 60% u-world. I'm thinking if I finish all those and go through first aid multiple times I might be better? I really need to crush COMLEX the second time (hoping to get ~500+ if that's even realistic :/), so if anyone has any tips on how to improve I would appreciate it. My report sheet says my highest areas were Physio & Pathology.

Last edited:
So sorry to hear you didn't do well :(. Have you tried COMQUEST (a lot of delayers/retakers who recently passed at my school loved it)?

And if you don't mind me asking, how were your COMSAEs? If you took any.

I ironically bought COMQUEST for Level 2 a month ago hoping I would be using it now. I might look into using it for level 1. I've heard mixed responses about it for level 1 with more people saying it's better for level 2, but at this point I might just give it a try.

COMSAE D (may-before full dedicated)- 399
COMSAE A (June) - 395
COMSAE E (July) - 434
COMSAE C (Aug) - 510

Not sure if the COMSAEs highly overestimated, I had a bad day, or I just wasn't prepared enough (I do know neuro is my weakest and my test was heavy in neuro, so that might have been my downfall). I was also surprised with my micro results. I really thought micro was easy and that I answered most of them correctly, but I was near the borderline area on my report so I don't know what happened with those.

Last edited:
I ironically bought COMQUEST for Level 2 a month ago hoping I would be using it now. I might look into using it for level 1. I've heard mixed responses about it for level 1 with more people saying it's better for level 2, but at this point I might just give it a try.

COMSAE D (may-before full dedicated)- 399
COMSAE A (June) - 395
COMSAE E (July) - 434
COMSAE C (Aug) - 510

Not sure if the COMSAEs highly overestimated, I had a bad day, or I just wasn't prepared enough (I do know neuro is my weakest and my test was heavy in neuro, so that might have been my downfall). I was also surprised with my micro results. I really thought micro was easy and that I answered most of them correctly, but I was near the borderline area on my report so I don't know what happened with those.

Same here, almost 100 point drop from my Comsaes. The thing is for me it felt not hard at all, and yet I failed it too. Like you I'm not sure how it's possible to score 500 on comsae and then fail comlex. Time wasn't an issue for me and questions seemed easy-ish mostly. I know most people feel bad coming out of it - but I felt good actually and thought I at least passed. Really weird. Could it be we got new exam form with harsher curve? I already had rotation and funniest thing is that I got honors on it and got excellent eval from my preceptor. And now this hits be in the back. Worst thing is that unlike you, I won't have 3-4 months. Our school policy is to give 30 days to retake it. And then rotations again. I've forgotten a good half of material details and it will take some time to refresh everything and then add some more. I'm thinking maybe I can ask my school for more prep time? I mean I failed already, so why not prepare properly this time.

I also noticed that questions on comlex were not UW like at all. So I'm not sure if I should hit UW or focus only on Combank/Comquest to get into that mode of vague comlex question stem style? It's like you have to become a psycho and think like a psycho to catch a psycho lol. So I'm a bit confused how to prep for Comlex specifically?

Same here, almost 100 point drop from my Comsaes. The thing is for me it felt not hard at all, and yet I failed it too. Like you I'm not sure how it's possible to score 500 on comsae and then fail comlex. Time wasn't an issue for me and questions seemed easy-ish mostly. I know most people feel bad coming out of it - but I felt good actually and thought I at least passed. Really weird. Could it be we got new exam form with harsher curve? I already had rotation and funniest thing is that I got honors on it and got excellent eval from my preceptor. And now this hits be in the back. Worst thing is that unlike you, I won't have 3-4 months. Our school policy is to give 30 days to retake it. And then rotations again. I've forgotten a good half of material details and it will take some time to refresh everything and then add some more. I'm thinking maybe I can ask my school for more prep time? I mean I failed already, so why not prepare properly this time.

I also noticed that questions on comlex were not UW like at all. So I'm not sure if I should hit UW or focus only on Combank/Comquest to get into that mode of vague comlex question stem style? It's like you have to become a psycho and think like a psycho to catch a psycho lol. So I'm a bit confused how to prep for Comlex specifically?

I felt exactly the same way!! I honestly came out of the exam thinking I would at least pass since I also felt a lot of the questions were easy. Like, I swear they had so many first order buzzword Qs in the test. I knew I wouldn't get the score I probably wanted, but I thought I knew enough to just pass. I also wonder if the test was just harder now that they re-adjusted the scoring? I also agree that UW is totally different than COMLEX which is the reason I never finished the whole U-world qbank. I finished all of COMBANK before the exam but not sure how helpful it was. It gave a better sense of how the test is written, but the Qs are still so vague that it doesn't really teach you anything. I might do another pass through UW just for concepts and then do COMLEX specific Qs to get use to style.

Oh wow, 30 days is definitely not enough time to prepare for a retake.

Last edited: