Official 2018 COMLEX Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start this to help everyone out! For those who have taken it, any tips or advice on what you used and worked? If you don't mind, please post your scores and how long you studied for.

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody have any recommendations for OMT other than Savarese? OMGOMT is not accepting new users
I recommend just doing combank and conquest questions if you have access to them. I think doing all those questions were sufficient for the OMM questions I encountered on my exam. As far as review books go, I don't think you can get better than Savarese. The OMM questions were similar to the ones from COMSAE imo. Hope that helps somewhat.

I took COMLEX level 2 CE on Monday the 25th and all I can say is I want my 8 hours of life back. I can say that there was a TON of OMT and some of the stranger things of OMT too like Trevells trigger points and FPR. A huge amount of Viscerosomatics, simple cranial and MSK. I mean so much MSK it was pretty close to half or at least it felt like it. Good amount of Cardio, OB, "Ethics" and simple Peds. GI was rare and ID was almost all buzzword Sketchy Micro. They had 3 types of questions simple gimmies, Tricky/ gotchas and just what do you just ask me/no information questions. Online MedEd helped a ton with the tricky and some of the no info questions. Many times I would find myself looking at 2 correct answers, thinking WTF would then reread the passage and realize they were not asking at all what I was thinking and the answer would be obvious. This did cost me time on a few passages but I would always catch up by the end.
Really if you want to be ready for this test Online MedEd, Uworld, Savarese and COMBANK OMT questions is all you need.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I took COMLEX level 2 CE on Monday the 25th and all I can say is I want my 8 hours of life back. I can say that there was a TON of OMT and some of the stranger things of OMT too like Trevells trigger points and FPR. A huge amount of Viscerosomatics, simple cranial and MSK. I mean so much MSK it was pretty close to half or at least it felt like it. Good amount of Cardio, OB, "Ethics" and simple Peds. GI was rare and ID was almost all buzzword Sketchy Micro. They had 3 types of questions simple gimmies, Tricky/ gotchas and just what do you just ask me/no information questions. Online MedEd helped a ton with the tricky and some of the no info questions. Many times I would find myself looking at 2 correct answers, thinking WTF would then reread the passage and realize they were not asking at all what I was thinking and the answer would be obvious. This did cost me time on a few passages but I would always catch up by the end.
Really if you want to be ready for this test Online MedEd, Uworld, Savarese and COMBANK OMT questions is all you need.
Is the MTB ethics and the Comlex Ethics quizlet good enough? Was there any biostats on there? What are Trevells trigger points? What do you recommend for the MSK stuff, was Uworld and Savarese good enough for it?

Is the MTB ethics and the Comlex Ethics quizlet good enough? Was there any biostats on there? What are Trevells trigger points? What do you recommend for the MSK stuff, was Uworld and Savarese good enough for it?
I don't know much about MTB or the COMLEX quizlets as I didn't use them. Honestly the "ethics" questions where not difficult and could be answered by doing the thing that would be in the patients best interest. There were a few of the latin worded one that you should know but they could have been figured out by elimination if you didn't remember a few of them. There were a few of those hospital policy type questions and I honestly answered them based on what the policy was on my last hospital rotation and then there were few where nothing was going to help and it was best guess. There was ONE biostat question and for whatever reason I couldnt do basic math so I just guessed and moved on. There was a few on bias in studies that wasn't a big deal know lead time vs length time bias and know the different study types too.
Trevells trigger points are like tenderpoints ( TP only hurt in the area the TP is located) but they center around a muscle body, radiate pain when pressed to other areas, are associated with sympathetic release and underlying organ issues. For example a person with a heart issue would have a TTP on the Pec muscle on the right ( Sympathics for heart are on the right side) that radiates to some other place. There were 3 or 4 on my test and honestly they were not trying to be tricky and nothing to worry about. It can be answered by figuring out what the disease is and picking either the closest muscle to the viscerosomatic level and the organ affected or vise versa. Yeah they are strange but if you think like a 5th grader you can most likely get them correct. Kind of like Uh dude has butt cancer what muscle is gonna be sore? lower back, upper back, face, chest by the nipple or knee cap? ... Really not that bad. The MSK was honestly OMT anatomy and if you did all the COMBANK or COMQUEST OMT stuff you are set. Its a whole lot of people fall off stuff and hit there arms, legs, ribs, knees ect. Guy falls on hand now he can't turn his arm what would you expect to find on exam? It was more annoying to have so much than it was difficult, although you can get turned around if you don't practice.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks you so much, I was freaking out there for a while, this helps a lot. Were there a lot of screening guidelines and next best test or best initial test like usual?

@WorldChanger36 is not the hero we deserve, but the one we need right now.
If you can prep for step 2 CK you can take this test and be just fine. Sure maybe you may have a little difficulty if you can't pick up on the NBOME style of questioning but you shouldn't fail. That should be more than enough. Those that feel they need huge COMLEX scores should really relax. You will survive.

Thanks you so much, I was freaking out there for a while, this helps a lot. Were there a lot of screening guidelines and next best test or best initial test like usual?
Some but again not tricky if you actually read the and understand the entire passage. Seriously its hard to do that sometimes but if you can do it and follow your first instinct its most likely correct. They will also have somethings that the test is on an obsessive rampage and some how will ask you the same exact question in different ways. With my test it was homeless alcoholics, ladies with "hot flush" ( seriously LOLed, I either think of an old lady that final flopped the big hot flush and is gonna get a new pair of shoes or boiling toilets) and people falling off of ladders or steps.

You will be fine.

Yeah unfortunately even though I have no problems with CK I've already failed this one, I just can't get past the NBOME style of questioning, I honestly have no idea what they are asking for and what the right answer is and it's not like there are too many practice materials available to get used to it either, the Comsaes aren't close to the real test.

Yeah unfortunately even though I have no problems with CK I've already failed this one, I just can't get past the NBOME style of questioning, I honestly have no idea what they are asking for and what the right answer is and it's not like there are too many practice materials available to get used to it either, the Comsaes aren't close to the real test.

It happens. Maybe it was just bad luck but you should make sure you have the knowledge base you think you do. If you did OME and mastered it you have the knowledge to pass. Now you just have to be ok with not having all the info you want and trusting yourself. You can cut down on them confusing you by reading the question and then the answers and then making a judgement on what you think the question is about. If you do that and feel its asking about X then most of the time its about X so search the passage for evidence to support that and pick the best answer. Try it on Uworld questions or the COMbank questions. Do this until you do it every time. Also when you do Uworld or whatever qbank you should be able to look at the answers and know what each answer would pertain to at a glance. This way you will be able to read the passage looking for the items that would make one of them true. Also if you see something that looks like 2 correct answers to the question, make sure you are actually answering the question. COMlex loves to do this. Also buzzwords they are obsessed with buzzwordy things that if you have this word it X but this word makes it Y. They love to play with rashes because they know everybody thinks oh this disease has a rash, that disease a rash but nobody remembers the distributions of all of the different rashes. Sometimes they don't give you enough information to tell them apart based on the passage but if you read the answers first you would have realized that only one rash disease answers the question instead of getting pissed that COMLEX doesn't give enough info, getting frustrated guessing and getting irate for the next 5 before you calm down and collect yourself.

Reactions: 2 users
Noob question, but a lot of people are mentioning COMSAE D, but on the NBOME site they have forms A and B for level 2. Should I assume its the same as one of these? My school hasn't required us to take a COMSAE before level 2 so I just want to clarify. Sorry if this is stupid question

They put the percentiles for our level 1 up. Basically subtract 40-50 points for the same percentile a year prior. The percentiles are the same as level 2 so instead of increasing hopefully we can match our scores or at the very least not drop more than 50 points. Should be interesting to see how everyone ends up doing

Members don't see this ad :)
They put the percentiles for our level 1 up. Basically subtract 40-50 points for the same percentile a year prior. The percentiles are the same as level 2 so instead of increasing hopefully we can match our scores or at the very least not drop more than 50 points. Should be interesting to see how everyone ends up doing
Smh.. NBOME... what a ****ing joke.

Thankfully only dropped 6%, some people in my class have dropped around 15%. Terrible. Really hope they all took Step 1.

in reality do you think pds will really look up what the avg was that year ? theyll be like oh wow a 550 thats above ,little do they know.

in reality do you think pds will really look up what the avg was that year ? theyll be like oh wow a 550 thats above ,little do they know.

Well you have to assume that proportion of applicants will not change, It'll be like "weird why does everyone have a 550 now".

Well you have to assume that proportion of applicants will not change, It'll be like "weird why does everyone have a 550 now".
true but i dont think DO pds really care as much . theyll think that they are getting a good batch of applicants. Board scores from what ive noticed have been a factor in the last couple years but Auditions + interview are still king

Just took the exam. I gotta say the OMM was heavy. Super vague question. Lots of MSK/NEURO. Not enough info in stems. had to assume a lot of things. Um vague micro, Ethics was eh , crappy biostats. I thought the exam was really badly written.

Just took the exam. I gotta say the OMM was heavy. Super vague question. Lots of MSK/NEURO. Not enough info in stems. had to assume a lot of things. Um vague micro, Ethics was eh , crappy biostats. I thought the exam was really badly written.

Was the neuro similar to combank/Uworld or would it be worth looking back over level 1 neuroanatomy?

I also took it today and it was quite bizarre. for the test i got, i would review

-first aid step 1 biostats

-savarese

-endocrine disease with electrolyte imbalances

the rest was all very very random stuff. I don’t even know how to advise.

[QUOTE="Dr.Jekyll75, post: 20097304, member: I thought the exam was really badly written.[/QUOTE]

Oh good I was worried they would throw a curve ball by writing a decent test.

Was the neuro similar to combank/Uworld or would it be worth looking back over level 1 neuroanatomy?

Combank/Uworld are good for neuro, Know your MSK. Randy Neil biostats, worth the hour watching. Definitely do savarese practice qs. Lots of OB/gyn, peds. Some stuff on the test you just won't know so accept it and move on. questions either short and tricky or just lengthy. Almost all OMM qs far too lengthy. Know everything but be prepared to be tested on 20% of it. Divine Intervention podcast for screening worth listening to, will net a couple of qs on the test.

Need some advice. Level 2 Exam is later this month but I have PE in the middle of all this that I have to study for soon. I have about 30% of UW still left to complete. Should rush UW and maybe only read the incorrect answers and also bang out combank? or should I still spend more time on UW? I wanted to ideally finish both UW and combank. Anyone in the past ever been in this situation and can help - would be greatly appreciated.

Need some advice. Level 2 Exam is later this month but I have PE in the middle of all this that I have to study for soon. I have about 30% of UW still left to complete. Should rush UW and maybe only read the incorrect answers and also bang out combank? or should I still spend more time on UW? I wanted to ideally finish both UW and combank. Anyone in the past ever been in this situation and can help - would be greatly appreciated.

I don't have more score yet, but I'd still put priority on UWorld over anything. Don't waste the questions/explanations. Go through it quick as you can without sacrificing quality. Depending on your timeframe, you can finish UWorld, study for your PE, come back and do Combank if you wish and then take the real deal.

So I took this "exam" today and all i can say is it's more like playing jeopardy than a board exam. Probably 75% of it was ob/weird obscure omm that the green book didn't really help for/stats, and the other 25% was trivia that no amount of studying would help for.

Reactions: 3 users
So I took this "exam" today and all i can say is it's more like playing jeopardy than a board exam. Probably 75% of it was ob/weird obscure omm that the green book didn't really help for/stats, and the other 25% was trivia that no amount of studying would help for.
Great to hear.....how the hell are we supposed to prepare for this

Great to hear.....how the hell are we supposed to prepare for this

You travel to Kirksville MO, you offer your spirit,body, and mind to the one they call AT still. At that moment if you are a true osteopath, you shall be blessed by all of his knowledge. If you are a phony , he shall reject you and banish you to Chapman point hell.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
How much dedicated time is needed? I'm not sure when the best time to take it is considering I have the 4 most time intensive rotations April to August (I'm 2020).

How much dedicated time is needed? I'm not sure when the best time to take it is considering I have the 4 most time intensive rotations April to August (I'm 2020).
Do UWorld all year long, take note or make flashcards on stuff you don't know, and finish it by the end of rotations. Reset, and do it again but 2 blocks per day. If you follow this I would say you won't need more than 2 months to be ready. Good luck!

Did anyone use the OMG OMT pdfs for this test and find it better than Savarese? Or should I just stick with Savarese and take the beating because there's nothing to help prepare for this exam.

Did anyone use the OMG OMT pdfs for this test and find it better than Savarese? Or should I just stick with Savarese and take the beating because there's nothing to help prepare for this exam.
Those are fine as a starting point but you need to know more treatment positions than what they give, know cranial and sacral like the back of your hand.know msk anatomy and nerves from savarese.

Thanks, I probably wont bother with OMG OMT then since I already have the green book.
Its good for a quick review before and during the break if you don't want to flip through a break and all the stuff on there you should know but really just know the viscerosomatic, chapmans, and counterstain from any book along with treatment positions and indirect vs direct and how you do stills vs FPR etc cuz they ask a lot of treatment questions now. Also know all the special tests and watch videos because they will ask video questions on those and they are easy points. They've actually made the OMM a little bit more professional and ask more MSK stuff and which ortho tests are most specific and sensitive etc. The OMG OMT clinical videos were a nice quick review I guess for some treatment stuff.

Did anyone use COMQUEST level 2 or comat specific banks through the year/ dedicated and find them solid? Good enough to substitute for UW if we have to take comats and I only want to take Level 2?

On the flip side....can UW + OME + OMM resource be enough for COMATs and Level 2?

Thanks

Go Uw+OME+OME, You learn way more that way, both the comlex qbanks are significantly weaker as a learning resource, I just used them as practice material before Comats and Level 2.

For Comlex? I think results come out first couple days of August according to their website. No clue about Usmle.
thanks i wasnt aware they actually scheduled releases in batches . ill post it for people in the future here.
upload_2018-7-16_14-49-52.png

Test is on Thursday the 26th. I feel like I forgot everything I've studied through UWorld (only completed 80% - but I took very good notes on that 80%). What should I do in the last few days to maximize my score?

Should I just bang out the remaining questions for exposure? Or focus more on reviewing my notes especially peds, obgyn, ethics, omm, micro, and possibly stats? I am currently on rotations so I have about 5 to 6 hours a night to review/study excluding this weekend.

Test is on Thursday the 26th. I feel like I forgot everything I've studied through UWorld (only completed 80% - but I took very good notes on that 80%). What should I do in the last few days to maximize my score?

Should I just bang out the remaining questions for exposure? Or focus more on reviewing my notes especially peds, obgyn, ethics, omm, micro, and possibly stats? I am currently on rotations so I have about 5 to 6 hours a night to review/study excluding this weekend.
I would focus on knowing what you know at this point.

Will be taking this next week. Done with UWorld and COMBANK. Really starting to feel the burn out. Is the consensus still to focus on Peds, ObGyn, MSK, and Stats? And will I get away with just marathon-ing OME and Sketchy for the last few days?