Official 2018 COMLEX Level 2 CE Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mj2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's start this to help everyone out! For those who have taken it, any tips or advice on what you used and worked? If you don't mind, please post your scores and how long you studied for.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I took Level 2 on 7/20. I felt like the exam was super fair for a Comlex. Timing was no issue (though I am naturally pretty fast at these). I felt the OMM was...well OMM. Of course there was a lot of badly written questions, but overall I thought it was a fair exam and comparable to Uworld. My Step 2 on the other hand was a complete WTF is this experience. Wish the experiences were flipped for residency purposes, but oh well, I am glad to be done.

Reactions: 1 users
Will be taking this next week. Done with UWorld and COMBANK. Really starting to feel the burn out. Is the consensus still to focus on Peds, ObGyn, MSK, and Stats? And will I get away with just marathon-ing OME and Sketchy for the last few days?

I had only a few stats (~5-10?), Micro for me was more left field as previous people have mentioned but I did not have many Micro either. MSK should def be a focus.

They put the percentiles for our level 1 up. Basically subtract 40-50 points for the same percentile a year prior. The percentiles are the same as level 2 so instead of increasing hopefully we can match our scores or at the very least not drop more than 50 points. Should be interesting to see how everyone ends up doing
They changed the percentiles for level 2?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone who used comquest for third year/ shelfs/ level 2 speak to the difference between the general comquest q bank and the individual comat specific q banks? I am confused which one to buy asap and work through.

Anyone have any input?

It depends, but the easy answer is that comats are a hot mess all around and neither question bank will fully prepare you for it. Personally, for each rotation's comat I used: combank main question bank, sometimes the 125 comat specific questions (if the rotation was broad like IM), comquest main question bank, and then each rotation the comat focused questions, and uworld for each rotation.

The reason I say that the comat is a hot mess is that you never know what you're going to be asked so it's impossible to study all of the topics and be fully covered. Take the surgery comat specifically. At least 20 questions out of the 125 were 100% anesthesiology related and not one of the question banks prepared you for.

Thread related - taking comlex 2 tomorrow. Just want a pass.

Reactions: 1 user
It depends, but the easy answer is that comats are a hot mess all around and neither question bank will fully prepare you for it. Personally, for each rotation's comat I used: combank main question bank, sometimes the 125 comat specific questions (if the rotation was broad like IM), comquest main question bank, and then each rotation the comat focused questions, and uworld for each rotation.

The reason I say that the comat is a hot mess is that you never know what you're going to be asked so it's impossible to study all of the topics and be fully covered. Take the surgery comat specifically. At least 20 questions out of the 125 were 100% anesthesiology related and not one of the question banks prepared you for.

I think we had the same shelf ha!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What did you think of today? I feel like the first half of exam was okay then got rocked on the back half. I did well on level one and comsae this year so I’m praying.

What did you think of today? I feel like the first half of exam was okay then got rocked on the back half. I did well on level one and comsae this year so I’m praying.

I thought it was... entertaining. But at 400 questions long I can genuinely say that my ability to perform collapsed by block 8.

So scores should be up tomorrow or wednesday. Any word on if it is usually the 1st or 2nd? Is there a timing associated with the release? circa step 1 release? I don't remember the details on the level 1 score release... TIA

So scores should be up tomorrow or wednesday. Any word on if it is usually the 1st or 2nd? Is there a timing associated with the release? circa step 1 release? I don't remember the details on the level 1 score release... TIA

Tomorrow isn't the first.....

Members don't see this ad :)

It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be. Leaving prometric, I felt like I might have passed. But it did feel like half my test was eliminating wrong answer choices and going "well, you're the last one left and I guess you fit".

I wasn't happy with how many derm picture "what is this" type questions or all of the "what do you do next in this type of emergency" while in the ED setting.

I did have lower yield bacteria and parasites that sketchy did help me with as well as random pharm that again, sketchy helped with. I did have a couple of good hospital type questions that unless I was a hospital admin, I wouldn't have a clue as to which organization or governing body does what. They weren't ones I had seen in random quizlets. Ethics wasn't bad on mine. Half of my OMM questions were related to psoas, so know the rules and how it presents. The rest of my omm was random counterstrain and which random technique would help this patient with these problems.

I did have one bioterrism question that the CDC link listed earlier did cover. I did have a couple of biostat questions, nothing too bad but I do recommend spending the hour and watching the video that was linked above somewhere.

I did have an okay amount of repro, peds, electrolyte imbalances, msk, cardio. A handful of neuro.

I'll probably edit this post tomorrow with more things when I remember later.

I wish I know...or anyone here would know...
I looked into the history through Tweeter, and it looked like they released the score on the last day of the last batch. However, this is a new batch of a new year period, so maybe they will make an exception and release it a bit earlier? Idk

This suspense is killing meeeeee! o_O

I wish I know...or anyone here would know...
I looked into the history through Tweeter, and it looked like they released the score on the last day of the last batch. However, this is a new batch of a new year period, so maybe they will make an exception and release it a bit earlier? Idk

This suspense is killing meeeeee! o_O
They like Mondays and Wednesdays. It should be out today.

It wasn't as terrible as I thought it was going to be. Leaving prometric, I felt like I might have passed. But it did feel like half my test was eliminating wrong answer choices and going "well, you're the last one left and I guess you fit".

I wasn't happy with how many derm picture "what is this" type questions or all of the "what do you do next in this type of emergency" while in the ED setting.

I did have lower yield bacteria and parasites that sketchy did help me with as well as random pharm that again, sketchy helped with. I did have a couple of good hospital type questions that unless I was a hospital admin, I wouldn't have a clue as to which organization or governing body does what. They weren't ones I had seen in random quizlets. Ethics wasn't bad on mine. Half of my OMM questions were related to psoas, so know the rules and how it presents. The rest of my omm was random counterstrain and which random technique would help this patient with these problems.

I did have one bioterrism question that the CDC link listed earlier did cover. I did have a couple of biostat questions, nothing too bad but I do recommend spending the hour and watching the video that was linked above somewhere.

I did have an okay amount of repro, peds, electrolyte imbalances, msk, cardio. A handful of neuro.

I'll probably edit this post tomorrow with more things when I remember later.

I feel yah, sounds like we had the same exam. The last 4 blocks were all an elimination game for me as well. I think the bioterrorism one was a gimme. I reached far back into my sketchy brain files for the win on that one.

I wonder if we’ll get our exams back today. I think last time I received it, it was early in the morning

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yep! Also, I just saw that in the last 12 months. It happened to be released more on Thursday than Wednesday. So much fun! Nbome is the best!

I called the nbome. They’re coming out tomorrow.
Lol so they just tell you on the phone when they will release results? It would have been nice if they just posted that on twitter and spared me a morning of anxiety.

Lol so they just tell you on the phone when they will release results? It would have been nice if they just posted that on twitter and spared me a morning of anxiety.
lol I agree, it seemed too easy. They should just get rid of the window period and tell us what day.

Yeah they usually release on the last day anyways so just pick that as the release date. Better one day of anxiety than multiple days.

Today is “the” day, huh? ;) Wish the best will happen to us all! :happy:
Wait. But what time should we be expecting?

Well I passed. This test makes no sense. I heard a rumor they maybe trying to make the test appear harder to make it more comparable to USMLE and the ACGME has been adding requirements. Just rumors but perhaps there is some truth to it.

Congrats! What are you applying for?

>835.

UWorld x1 throughout third year. Complete pass of all comquest COMATs. SUTM x0.75 during third year.

0.5x UWorld pass, plus combank OMM only during dedicated. No savarese.

>650 level 1.
>120 on all COMATs.
26X on CK.

Level 1: 520’s
Level 2: 650’s

I have no idea how that just happened but all I can say is thank you Comlex for having a little more mercy on me this time around.

1: 680
2: 620

Hearing a lot of others commenting how they did worse on level 2.

Congrats to you all! Just curious how you all felt while taking the exam. I don’t get my scores for another three weeks and I just had that weird this is okay, but I’m still guessing on a lot feeling... I remember Shaking my head through most of blocks 3/4 and 7/8. Thinking dear God please let these be good guesses.

Level 1: 450
Level 2: 630
Step 2: 235

Just leaving this here for all those who did poorly on level 1 and will be hoping to improve on level 2. Always seemed like everyone posting are always people scoring crazy high.

Here's my post from the Step 2 thread:
DO student. Here's some stats for us average or below average peeps.

UW 1st pass: ~60%
UW 2nd pass: 79% (80% complete)

Level 1:450 (didn't take step 1 because I took a NBME practice test and score was barely passing)
UWSA 1= 224 (4-5 weeks before)
NBME 7= 220
NBME 8= 213
NBME 6= 232 (7 days before)
UWSA 2= 224 (5 days before)
COMSAE B: 590
Free 120= 78-79%

Step 2: 235
Level 2: 630

Walked out feeling okay, but remembering lots of questions of missed. Also ran out of time on many blocks. But overall can't complain, hopefully will be enough to match EM.

Reactions: 5 users
Step I 241
Step II 242
Level I 649
Level II 627

Level II felt ridiculous afterwards. So many questions were so vague "How do you feel what the correct answer is" and I had no idea how the score was going to pan out.

Genuine question for everyone on here. What gives with this comlex level II and am I royally screwed now?

DO fourth year and ortho hopeful currently out on auditions.

Comlex level I: 634
Step I: 230

Now,

Step II: 259 (Was very happy about this)
Comlex level II out today: 597.

I have been very disappointed today and kinda had the wind taken out of my sails.