USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Yes I found them very similar! Which I guess explains my almost identical scores haha. So far I've actually found UWorld questions to be much more difficult than NBME questions.

This is how I felt, and I still felt like I was punched in the gut with a sidero-fist.

Members don't see this ad :)
Never posted here before but these forums have helped me a lot over the past few months preparing for Step 1... So here is my 2 cents.... hopefully it helps someone.

Here is what I have so far--- I Just took my Step 1 today!
GOAL-- 260+

NBME 13 --- 205 (1 year out)
NBME 13 --- 240 (3 months out)
NBME 17 --- 240 (2 months out)
UWSA1 --- 266 (5 weeks out)
UWSA2 --- 258 (4 weeks out)
NBME 19 --- 248 (3 weeks out)--- (started to freak out)
Free 120 – 86% (3 weeks out) --- (I did it at the prometrics center)---- def. recommend this
NBME 16 – 250 (2 weeks out) --- (freaked out some more)
NBME 15 – 255 (1.5 weeks out) --- (relaxed a little bit)
Read all of FA cover to cover --- w/ notes and wikipedia references
NBME 18 ---- 271 (2 days out) --- this was the hardest f@#king test I thought I failed it--- I freaked out when I saw my score!!!!!!
UW First Pass – 88%---- I did U world slowly I literally finished my last block the day of my test --- I took my last 40Qs as my warm up in the morning

Actual STEP 1 Score --- ??? --- I will re-post the minute I get my scores

Guys thank you all for all of your help! This website has really helped my relieve some of my stress. It definitely guided my studying.
Hopefully I do well and I can post my study schedule online

How did you feel after the the real thing? With scores like that you were definitely very well prepared.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any advice about social sciences/ethics questions? I'm sure this is not a problem for the vast majority of people but I feel like I am getting a lot of them wrong. At times I don't know whether to push forward for treatment against someone's wishes vs. let them be discharged or whatever, and other questions I'm getting wrong because I'm erring too much on the side of being too nice to the patient and not knowing that in certain situations it's important to warn them about things they're doing that might be detrimental (i.e. taking supplements). Whenever I see the answer explanation I often feel like "oh wow that was obvious" but then I'll be confronted by a new situation and be very unsure about what to do. Are there any resources out there that can help with this?

Does anyone have any advice about social sciences/ethics questions? I'm sure this is not a problem for the vast majority of people but I feel like I am getting a lot of them wrong. At times I don't know whether to push forward for treatment against someone's wishes vs. let them be discharged or whatever, and other questions I'm getting wrong because I'm erring too much on the side of being too nice to the patient and not knowing that in certain situations it's important to warn them about things they're doing that might be detrimental (i.e. taking supplements). Whenever I see the answer explanation I often feel like "oh wow that was obvious" but then I'll be confronted by a new situation and be very unsure about what to do. Are there any resources out there that can help with this?

There's a page in First Aid (pg 262-263 in FA 2018) that is surprisingly helpful for these questions. I struggled with them at first too, I think because I was relying too much on my own judgement and values. But (for the purpose of step 1, at least) there are very specific guidelines for what to do in ethical situations.

How long does it take everyone to review about a block of UWorld? I'm curious if really delving into the answer choices and taking like 3 hours is worth it or not versus 1.5 or 2 hours and go quicker.

Any thoughts?

How long does it take everyone to review about a block of UWorld? I'm curious if really delving into the answer choices and taking like 3 hours is worth it or not versus 1.5 or 2 hours and go quicker.

Any thoughts?

I did Uworld in sets of 20 questions, and it would take me an hour and a half to answer and review one set. So 3 hours total for 40 questions. I think it's 100% worth it to spend a lot of time reading and understanding the explanations.

I took 4 hours/ block. 100% would do it again

You felt it was that high yield on your exam?

I did Uworld in sets of 20 questions, and it would take me an hour and a half to answer and review one set. So 3 hours total for 40 questions. I think it's 100% worth it to spend a lot of time reading and understanding the explanations.

Okay glad to hear that. I feel like I sometimes want to rush it and move on with other things, but this is good to know. I just am not sure if doing more questions/cards/reading FA is better than reviewing the small details in the answer choices.

Absolutely. Had maybe 20-30 things outside from it

Wow. That's comforting since I've been spending so much time on it. I guess I'll stick to the slow pace then and making ANKI for what I'm not too sure on.

What are your thoughts on using the Pepper UWorld anki deck? It's a deck someone made of about 2500 cards on about 80% or more stuff in UW and the UWSAs.

Last edited:
Now that's what I call dedication. How do you feel the exam went? With that killer 18 score achieved two days before the exam, I'm fairly confident you exceeded 260. What resources, other than practice tests, did you use?

The exam was definitely difficult, but to be honest it felt just like doing 7 blocks of UWORLD. The subject breakdown was also surprisingly similar to to UWORLD. It was harder than both of the UWORLD self assesments, mainly because the questions were a bit longer and sometimes tested some diseases/ consepts that I felt were a bit obscure. ~10% of the exam.

The other 90% of the exam I can honestly say is almost IDENTICAL to UWORLD questions--- not the Self assesments but the actual bank -- most of the concepts were taught in one way or another in that bank.

The harder/ obscure concepts are all fair in the sense that they are "covered" in first aid (one sentence saying it exists), but they required a bit of extra thought/ educated guessing to get them right. Lets just say that I found myself thanking wikipedia many many times over on the exam because i had read up on some of those odd ball diseases mentioned in FA.

In terms of what resorces i used--
1) USMLErx Qbank ~80% first pass
2) Kaplan Qbank ~ 85% first pass
3) Sketchy Micro
4) Sketchy pharm
5) Pathoma
6) 80% of Boards and Beyond-- this was an amazing resource-- I wished i finished it--- this guy litterally mentioned and explained every question i ever got wrong in UWORLD in one way or another--- he is fantastic
7) 88% UWORLD first pass
8) I never read FA until the last week and a half before my exam --- im a big question guy --- but honestly reading FA made all of the difference in the world once i had the understanding of how the information was tested in questions after doing so many banks.
It seems like a lot, but i did this all in 7 months while i was still in my classes..

All i did in my dedicated was UWORLD ~ 2 blocks a day, Boards and beyond videos on my weakest subjects according to UWORLD, and the CBSSAs.

I hope this helps, but take this with a grain of salt I dont have my step score in yet--- my exam break down is listed a few posts above

Hope this helps

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The exam was definitely difficult, but to be honest it felt just like doing 7 blocks of UWORLD. The subject breakdown was also surprisingly similar to to UWORLD. It was harder than both of the UWORLD self assesments, mainly because the questions were a bit longer and sometimes tested some diseases/ consepts that I felt were a bit obscure. ~10% of the exam.

The other 90% of the exam I can honestly say is almost IDENTICAL to UWORLD questions--- not the Self assesments but the actual bank -- most of the concepts were taught in one way or another in that bank.

The harder/ obscure concepts are all fair in the sense that they are "covered" in first aid (one sentence saying it exists), but they required a bit of extra thought/ educated guessing to get them right. Lets just say that I found myself thanking wikipedia many many times over on the exam because i had read up on some of those odd ball diseases mentioned in FA.

3) Sketchy Micro
4) Sketchy pharm
5) Pathoma
6) 80% of Boards and Beyond-- this was an amazing resource-- I wished i finished it--- this guy litterally mentioned and explained every question i ever got wrong in UWORLD in one way or another--- he is fantastic
7) 88% UWORLD first pass
8) I never read FA until the last week and a half before my exam --- im a big question guy --- but honestly reading FA made all of the difference in the world once i had the understanding of how the information was tested in questions after doing so many banks.
It seems like a lot, but i did this all in 7 months while i was still in my classes..

All i did in my dedicated was UWORLD ~ 2 blocks a day, Boards and beyond videos on my weakest subjects according to UWORLD, and the CBSSAs.

I hope this helps, but take this with a grain of salt I dont have my step score in yet--- my exam break down is listed a few posts above

Hope this helps

How specifically did you use UWorld? Did you just do the questions and review them or make anki out of the cards? Also the fact that you got an 88% on your first pass of UWorld makes me unsure if you ever needed it in the first place haha an 88% on UWorld first pass is north of the 95th percentile, that's amazing

3) Sketchy Micro
4) Sketchy pharm
5) Pathoma
7) 88% UWORLD first pass

Hope this helps

thanks for the post! When you say identical to uworld, were the questions asked the same way that uworld does, as in multistep reasoning? Or was it NBME style where you had to just know it. Hope that made sense lol

How specifically did you use UWorld? Did you just do the questions and review them or make anki out of the cards? Also the fact that you got an 88% on your first pass of UWorld makes me unsure if you ever needed it in the first place haha an 88% on UWorld first pass is north of the 95th percentile, that's amazing

thanks for the post! When you say identical to uworld, were the questions asked the same way that uworld does, as in multistep reasoning? Or was it NBME style where you had to just know it. Hope that made sense lol

So in terms of how I used UWORLD--- I spent all day reviewing the 2 blocks mostly just the ones i marked and the ones i got wrong-- i only got an 88% because i did 2 entire banks before UWORLD; however, i cannot emphasize enough how much i learned from UWORLD-- all of my CBSSAs were increasing as I went through the bank... I took notes on anything i thought was cool and i went on wikipedia too learn about any disease that i felt i needed to know more about.

In terms of how the actual exam was -- the questions were NOTHING like the CBSSAs they were literally like UWORLD -- they were third order questions that made tou think ... not first order at all--- only a few questions here and there were first order... most required thought

So in terms of how I used UWORLD--- I spent all day reviewing the 2 blocks mostly just the ones i marked and the ones i got wrong-- i only got an 88% because i did 2 entire banks before UWORLD; however, i cannot emphasize enough how much i learned from UWORLD-- all of my CBSSAs were increasing as I went through the bank... I took notes on anything i thought was cool and i went on wikipedia too learn about any disease that i felt i needed to know more about.

In terms of how the actual exam was -- the questions were NOTHING like the CBSSAs they were literally like UWORLD -- they were third order questions that made tou think ... not first order at all--- only a few questions here and there were first order... most required thought

Good to know - thanks! Did you use Pathoma during dedicated? I'm wondering how high yield those first three chapters really are.

Edit: Also curious, did you think the Kaplan questions were helpful looking back now?

Last edited:
Hey guys , I have a dilemma and need some advice. I am 3 weeks out and just started my second pass of UW. Completing the actual blocks is EZ mode (averaging 95%+ , spending ~30-40 minutes/block), but REVIEWING each block is taking me like 2 hours...on my first pass I just kinda skimmed over the explanations and only really read the bolded words and final summary statement, but now I am reading every word and making flash cards of every little fact that I'm not familiar with, even the really obscure ones (like the fact that emtricitabine can rarely cause a palms and soles rash...or the fact that Marfan syndrome may present with a high arched palate and crowded teeth lol...)

My dilemma is that I had previously planned on doing 6 blocks per day, but now that seems unrealistic on top of ~1000 Anki cards per day. Today I only managed 4 blocks on top of Anki, for example. So, I am debating whether or not I should cut out the 2 Kaplan full length Simulated Exams that I had planned on taking in order to free up more time for UW review....

Kaplan Simulated Exams vs. Painstakingly thorough 2nd Pass of UW : what's more high yield at this point?

I took 4 hours/ block. 100% would do it again

Ok so here’s a question for you guys: I miss calculated the number of UW blocks I’m gonna have to take per day, so as of now it’s gonna take 3 blocks/day every day between now and test day to finish.

Would it be better to accept I won’t see ~10 blocks in favor of doing a more thorough review on the rest?

Any consensus on the value of the older NBME's? Going through 12,11, and they seem almost too straightforward. A couple gem questions that seem to test critical thinking, but overall I'm not sure I'm getting too much out of these. Already finished UW and my second pass hasn't been helpful as I anki'ed my incorrects and basically get 95%+, so I'm really coming to the end of good quality questions

Ok so here’s a question for you guys: I miss calculated the number of UW blocks I’m gonna have to take per day, so as of now it’s gonna take 3 blocks/day every day between now and test day to finish.

Would it be better to accept I won’t see ~10 blocks in favor of doing a more thorough review on the rest?
No. You need to get through all of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys , I have a dilemma and need some advice. I am 3 weeks out and just started my second pass of UW. Completing the actual blocks is EZ mode (averaging 95%+ , spending ~30-40 minutes/block), but REVIEWING each block is taking me like 2 hours...on my first pass I just kinda skimmed over the explanations and only really read the bolded words and final summary statement, but now I am reading every word and making flash cards of every little fact that I'm not familiar with, even the really obscure ones (like the fact that emtricitabine can rarely cause a palms and soles rash...or the fact that Marfan syndrome may present with a high arched palate and crowded teeth lol...)

My dilemma is that I had previously planned on doing 6 blocks per day, but now that seems unrealistic on top of ~1000 Anki cards per day. Today I only managed 4 blocks on top of Anki, for example. So, I am debating whether or not I should cut out the 2 Kaplan full length Simulated Exams that I had planned on taking in order to free up more time for UW review....

Kaplan Simulated Exams vs. Painstakingly thorough 2nd Pass of UW : what's more high yield at this point?
I feel like the thorough pass should have been the first one, I would just finish them quickly, if at all, and focus more on review of anki, Kaplan is newer questions that you've never seen before

It seems to be working now... This wait is torture :(

Yes it’s back!
I wasn’t this anxious during the exam or even when the result wasn’t this close. But for the past week I’m going crazy!
Are you in the US? I guess result will be out by 11 am EDT?

The Kaplan full lengths are trash, I wouldn’t waste my time with them. Focus on UW and Anki, that’ll be much higher yield. I had multiple questions on the real thing that I only knew from carefully reviewing UW explanations.

Reactions: 5 users

I would agree that you should try to get through all of them. If I were you I would probably sit down and come up with a list of the topics I feel very comfortable with, and then skip over reading the explanations for those topics. But honestly if I was in your shoes I would probably just spend ten hours a day doing UWorld and nothing else.

I'm not a 250 student, but generally if you're not strong on topics then 3 blocks a day won't help. What you need is what Lannister said - look at your stats, look at your topics, and math out the rest.

The most important thing is to get through UW, so if that means doing 5 blocks a day you need to do that. You can annotate the areas in First Aid or Pathoma that you need to read and then spend your time working endlessly on them.

Update: 8 days out from the test, original goal of 250+, but feeling like if I get over a 245 I can count my blessings at this point.

uwsa 1 - 9 days ago - 251, 77%
uwsa 2 - 7 days ago - 232, 71.5%
nbme 13 - 5 days ago - 209, 79.5%
nbme 15 - 3 days ago - 236, 87%
nbme 16 - yesterday - 223, 82%

So what I noticed going from 15 to 16 is that one of the most difficult things about this, at least for myself, is time management in the first block. I ended up getting hung up a handful of questions for the first block of 16 and ended up with a minute left to answer my last 3 questions. Needless to say, this got me pretty frazzled for the rest of my blocks and made me doubt a lot of my choices - I ended up changing 6 from block 2 and 2 from block 4 to the wrong answers from the right one. It's a little frustrating since I feel like I just went backwards a little, but I guess this is why the nbmes are such good practice. Better to make these technical mistakes now then on the real thing.

I posted before for advice.
Took step today, stats:
13 : 244, december
15: 259, feb end
UW1:275, march mid
16 : 265, april mid
19 : 275, april 21ish
17 : 265, april 30
UW2 : 275, may 15
18 : 267, May 17

Marked around 25-30 on the whole thing and personally felt rest almost everything was straight up from FA/UW. Don’t know how to feel right now also result on june 11 so fml
wow superb scores.i think you will break 270.. can u elaborate on the resources u used? IMG or US MD? length of prep?

No. You need to get through all of them.

I would agree that you should try to get through all of them. If I were you I would probably sit down and come up with a list of the topics I feel very comfortable with, and then skip over reading the explanations for those topics. But honestly if I was in your shoes I would probably just spend ten hours a day doing UWorld and nothing else.

I'm not a 250 student, but generally if you're not strong on topics then 3 blocks a day won't help. What you need is what Lannister said - look at your stats, look at your topics, and math out the rest.

The most important thing is to get through UW, so if that means doing 5 blocks a day you need to do that. You can annotate the areas in First Aid or Pathoma that you need to read and then spend your time working endlessly on them.

Damn I really screwed myself on this one lol

28 blocks in 16 days!

Thanks for the input everyone

In other news: I've now been in the everglades for 4 weeks, and have seen 12 alligators and a bobcat.

Stay your course, unless you're not performing well on your NBME practice exams.

I took my exam on May 4th. Scores are coming out today. I got a email from my school congratulating me that I passed. Now just have to wait to see my score.

I took my exam on May 4th. Scores are coming out today. I got a email from my school congratulating me that I passed. Now just have to wait to see my score.
Took it same day as you... heard nothing so far.

Best of luck to you sir/ma'am

Just took NBME 16, was freaking tf out the whole time because it seemed so much more difficult than NBME 15. Ended up with a 263 lol I guess I gotta learn to have more confidence in myself. My nerves are going to be my downfall.

JUST GOT an email saying my score will be up "later this morning"

Edit: LMAO it was stamped as sent at 5:54AM and I just received it

Reactions: 3 users
Ahhhhh. Difficult to be disappointed. Way underperformed relative to practice exams, but if I say I'm not happy with it, I'd sound like a prick. Kinda felt like I underperformed because of now difficult it felt compared to my NBMEs.

Uworld: 84%
NBMEs (13 (5wks out),15,16,17,18 (all within 1-2 weeks out)): 232, 255, 255, 255, 255
official: 250

No matter what the outcomes, God is good. I'm content:)

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 users
Ahhhhh. Difficult to be disappointed. Way underperformed relative to practice exams, but if I say I'm not happy with it, I'd sound like a prick. Kinda felt like I underperformed because of now difficult it felt compared to my NBMEs.

NBMEs (13 (5wks out),15,16,17,18 (all within 1-2 weeks out)): 232, 255, 255, 255, 255
official: 250

No matter what the outcomes, God is good. I'm content:)
congrats bro!!

Also WTF... Anatomy and Histo were my highest subsections. LMAO I woulda put those as last if I had to guess

Worst was skin/msk... bye bye derm :laugh: jkjk

Long time lurker and first post. Thank you everyone for all the advice you've all given me these past few months. Just received my step score and wanted to share some news:

All my nbmes were from 190-219 range ~felt extremely discouraged and frustrated.

UWSA1 (pre-dedicated) - 230
UWSA2 (one week prior to step) - 241

My discrepancy between UWSA and nbme really scared me and I didn't know what to expect coming into the real exam.

Actual step score: 230!

Although its not a really great score, I'm very happy with it and definitely relieved that it is over. For those of you who are currently under performing on nbme's don't lose hope because they actually do underpredict!

Reactions: 7 users
Got my results today and wanted to add to the pile!

NBME 13 (7 weeks before exam, Before U world or FA): 221
UW first pass %: 78 - Did 1/2 by subject, 1/2 random, all tutor mode (I recommend this, the instantaneous feedback of being wrong is helpful)
Kaplan Q bank %: 79
NBME 17 (3 weeks before exam): 255
UWSA2 (1 week before exam): 254
USMLE (5/4): 257!

Feeling of being done with this whole ordeal: PRICELESS

Reactions: 8 users
Took it 5/4, 244.

Will post practice tests later, felt okay coming out but disappointed considering I was shooting for 250+

REALLY want to do ortho, honest advice please if I still have a shot?

When you guys review practice NBMEs, do you only look up the questions you got wrong? Or is it better to try to find one of those Quizlet decks or something that has the answers?

Took it 5/4, 244.

Will post practice tests later, felt okay coming out but disappointed considering I was shooting for 250+

REALLY want to do ortho, honest advice please if I still have a shot?

are u f**king kidding me? stop being a snowflake and enjoy your grade. you will do ortho too. geez