1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

Discussion in 'Step I' started by Foot Fetish, Oct 15, 2017.

1. w0rldw3y3d

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hi everyone,

Long time lurker and intermittent poster. Got my score recently and wanted to pay it forward. I took 7 weeks of dedicated time and used BnB, Sketchy micro, and pharm flash cards for content with UW. I was not a fan of FA, but I did use it for memorization stuff. Also used a handful of pathoma chapters in trouble areas.

Data
    School CBSE (right before dedicated): 218
    Form 15 (5 weeks out): 236
    UW Form 1 (4 weeks out): 262
    Form 16 (3 weeks out): 242
    Form 17: (2 weeks out): 242
    Form 18: (1 week out): 238
    Free 120: (1 week out): 83%
    UW Form 2: (5 days out): 247
    UW first (and only) pass: 78%
    Real deal: 249

Hope this helps those who are either about to take it or are waiting for results.

#4151 w0rldw3y3d, Sep 14, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Step2myLou

Congrats on the score! Mind sharing what you did prededicated to start with a good baseline? Also did you use any other qbanks besides UW? Thank you!

4. a_patel1993

Medical Student
    Congrats on the score! All your hard work really payed off! If you don't mind, can you tell me how many silly/dumb mistakes you think you made? I'm still awaiting my results, but I made about 6 so far. I had really similar scores to you (NBME 18-238, UWSA2- 245, UWSA1- 256 all within 1-2 weeks before the test). It's just really annoying to remember the things I messed up on. Do you think I still have a chance at a score in the 240s?

5. yellowbluegreen

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,

I have 14 days before the exam. My goal is realistically 235+. I have taken the exam in these order. Every NBME says I have a different weakness -.- What are your thoughts?
    NBME 16 = 232
    NBME 17 = 236
    NBME 19 = 217
    UWS1 = 247
    NBME 18 = 225
    Will be taking UWS2 next week.

Thanks in advance!

6. sunshinefl

sunshinefl All Gold Everything
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Can you tell me more about the pharm flash card thing you used? Pharm rote memorization has been a weakness for me throughout school.

7. w0rldw3y3d

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My school has rotations in second year, so I didn’t have much study time for STEP-1. What I ended up doing was the zanki deck until dedicated. I think it really helped my foundation going into it. Once I switched over and did BnB I realized how much I had gotten just from the Zanki deck alone. I went through the Kaplan Qbank and about half of Rx during my preclinical year.

I remember ~15-20 that I’m pretty positive I got wrong. The rest is pretty much a blur. I would say you’re in a good spot as long as you stayed calm and remembered your practice.

My bad, should have been more specific, I used the Lange flash cards and they were amazing. Pharm ended up being one of my strengths and I remember one question that was almost verbatim of one of the flash cards.

#4156 w0rldw3y3d, Sep 14, 2018
    a_patel1993 and sunshinefl like this.
  8. w0rldw3y3d

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    UWS2 is probably the most accurate predictor. 235+ is definely possible.

9. sunshinefl

Medical Student
    Thank you so much!!

Edited to add—I legit just ordered the Lange cards thanks to you. I’ve seen them mentioned before but then I saw a couple bad reviews on Amazon item page and I backed off. But now they are on the way!

#4158 sunshinefl, Sep 14, 2018
  10. w0rldw3y3d

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Glad to help. The deck is big, but what I ended up doing was going through the deck and taking out cards as I mastered them. I did 1-1.5 hrs of pharm flash cards a day and I think I ended up going through the deck like 4-5 times.

I’d say definitely know on all the side effects because they sometimes ask you about the obscure ones (eg like bismuth causing black stools). There was only one drug on the test I didn’t know and that’s because it’s not quite finished with clinical trials according to Dr. Google.

sunshinefl likes this.
  11. sunshinefl

Medical Student
    Thank you for the follow up tips! You’re the best!

12. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

I know NBME 18 is considered the "most representative" of how the real Step 1 feels like per NBMEs (and for UW = UWSA2). How does NBME 19 compare? I've asked around but most of my classmates avoided NBME 19 (due to the infamous curve) and stopped at NBME 18. Took mine months ago when I was ill-prepared and reviewed it yesterday (and felt it was easier this time around)

13. DrImg2020

Exam in 2 days. Can anyone predict me? And advice for last 2 days lol.

August till now.
    NBME 15: 230
    NBME 13: 234
    NBME 16: 246
    NBME 17: 248
    NBME 18: 246
    NBME 19: 232
    UWSA2: 258
    FREE 120 at the center = 90%

What do you think? What should I do for the next 48 hours? Revise first aid?

14. 21Rush12

21Rush12 Searching a cave behind a waterfall
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should review lightly and relax! Go in well rested and trust your prep. I’m sure you’re in the 250 range.

15. Jdjj

Has anyone heard anything regarding issues/errors with the scoring of the real exam?

16. DrImg2020

Seriously? Lol it sounds too good to be true. I hope your prediction comes true. Thank you.

17. 21Rush12

Medical Student
    If you’re in the neighborhood on the UW2 I really think that’s where you’ll land. Definitely don’t forget to tell us how you do!

18. DrImg2020

Thank you. Will do. If I get a good score like your prediction, I'll make a good contribution for the future step 1 takers.

19. lucky01

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey guys, so i just started zanki 3.1 .... I'm having a really tough time deciding whether or not i should go 100% on zanki (for review) or should i use my FA(annotated with bnb notes) to review? Please can anyone who's done zanki shed some light on this, it'll reallyyyyyy help me. Does zanki have everything from FA? if so then i'd prefer zanki over FA because zanki is more interactive and "fun" vs FA itself is too torturous to review. thanks!

20. 21Rush12

Medical Student
    Some people swear by it. If it fits your style and you “enjoy” it more, by all means go for it. It’s a massive deck. You can always lightly skim first aid to cover things from Zanki that you’re struggling with also.

FindersFee5 likes this.
  21. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

I was discouraged to go the Zanki route by a friend of mine because I thought I could do it in 2-3 month frame I had at the time. He believes you need 6 months+ to really reap the benefits of any pre made Step 1 deck (he started in MS2 September scored a 230+ from a DO school while constantly being below average in most classes due to focusing purely on board studying months earlier than most).

22. ASGD1983

I always wonder what's the best way to split time resource between boards, classes, extra-curriculum and so on. Correct me if I'm wrong, but that person will suffer by ranking low in his class - due to him putting more time for board prep. AFAIK PDs still check your class rank and everything. For example which one is better to have: 230 step 1 and a class rank of 180 out of 250 or a 220 step 1 and a class rank of 40 out of 250? To put it differently, his grades were probably B and C with 230 step1, while someone can have A and B with 220 step1.

23. AnatomyGrey12

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Give me the spot with the 230. Easily. Class rank matters much less than board score.

sunshinefl, 21Rush12 and ASGD1983 like this.
  24. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Alright, so:

Kaplan and UW Qbanks, on full mixed, tutor mode: 80%
    Kaplan full length:80%
    UWSA 1: 265
    NBME 15: 250
    NBME 17: 250
    NBME 16: 270

Decided not to take UWSA 2 because it was supposed to be my confidence boost before the exam and, well...NBME 16 happened, lol.

Prediction coming out of the test: 240s-low 250.
    Actual score: 258

I guess that's where I ought to have expected to score, but tbh taking NBME 16 2d before the real deal and nailing it out of the park had me hoping to at least break 260, lol. So while I'm obviously very happy, as this score doesn't close ANY doors for me, I almost wish I hadn't taken #16! Or that I had actually buckled down and used my dedicated properly, as I really just half-assed a bunch of different sources and didn't comprehensively cover anything except Sketchy Micro.

25. theonlytycrane

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    congrats! Can you elaborate on your post-test feelings? You crushed, yet felt a bit bleh afterwards? Glad it turned out well :)

26. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I broke out crying afterwards, thought I maybe only made 240s. Felt like absolute garbage.
    It turned out OK after all, but I didn't do as well as I'd hoped to.

Gurby, DubbiDoctor and Epicurusall like this.
  27. Epicurusall

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Only on SDN

28. HoPe4DaBeSt147

Hey just read your post and wanted to say congrats on the score! I am in a similar situation and had a really rough time during 2nd year. I was wondering what resources you used and what you thought of the exam? Thank you!!

29. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

Hey guys, how does UWSAs compare to regular UW blocks?

Trying to take one next Tuesday in particular UWSA1. All I've really heard from people is a 70-71% equals a 232 on UWSA2 and a 241 on UWSA1.

30. a_patel1993

Medical Student
    Hey guys I just got my results back.

Nbme 17-221
    Nbme-19-221
    UWSA1- 256
    UWSA2-245
    NBME18-238

real deal: 238

Is that a good score? These forums have convinced me that only a 240 is considered great.
    And can I get a spot in IM or possibly general surgery?

31. 21Rush12

Medical Student
    It’s a great score and yes you’ll have no trouble with IM or gensurg.

Try this tool out and see for yourself!

Tableau Public

OutRun likes this.
  32. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

Predictability of NBME 17? I took it yesterday and felt it was way easier than 13/15. Finished with plenty of time per block. Some of these questions felt like verbatim from UWorld

33. Thelonious Chunk

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Hey just saw this. I used the tried and true UFAP (UWorld, Pathoma, First Aid) and also Savarese for OMT. I would say that 90-95% of the step 1 form I got could have been answered from content within those resources, and the others were things you could partially reason through using general principles (first half of FA, first few chapters of Pathoma). The issue for me was I could recognize that I’d seen the material before but hadn’t mastered the topic enough to differentiate between 2-3 answers. If I could go back, I would focus less on lecture material and more on board prep material throughout the academic year (assuming you can still pass class tests doing so), because now that I’m on my own for 3rd year I am only using UWorld and OnlineMedEd and am doing above the NBME average on shelf exams. From this I’ve learned that my problem wasn’t cognitive, but rather that I didn’t study the relevant material enough (alot of our curriculum is board-irrelevant, and ward-irrelevant tbh). This is why when I got to dedicated, I felt like I was learning UWorld material for the first time. Further evidence to support this idea is that half of my class scored below a 210. I think UWorld is a great teacher if you enjoy learning independently, and I think the didactic years of medical school should become a standardized digital curriculum.

I believe that if administration had simply had their students sit down and memorize UFAP all of second year while going to a clinic once a week, that we would be better prepared for 3rd year. I also like what Baylor does, which is that they have their students take step 1 and step 2 back to back after third year. I feel like the material clicks better in the context of rotations for me. Baylor has the highest step 1 average in the country from what I last saw.

Good luck moving forward. Study hard.

34. bobthebuilder2

Anyone recommend redoing Uworld Form 1 if I did it a long time ago to see my baseline? I've already exhausted NBME's 13-17. I'm not really sure what else to do for practice exams (I'm saving 18 and 19 for the week before my test).

35. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

I wouldn't, UWSA1 seems to overestimate, I can't imagine retaking it not overestimating at least 10-15 pts. I took it today and it was about ~20 points higher than my last 2 NBMEs averaged (15+17). Maybe take UWSA2?

36. humblethinker

Medical Student
    This was an awesome post. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

37. TheIllusionist

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    lmfao

download (2).jpeg

38. TheIllusionist

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Agreed. As I have said a 100 times before, cognitive element of med school is so overblown. I am scoring 90th percentile + on 3rd year shelf exams rn and all I do differently is mindlessly memorize uworld facts, firecracker, and zanki. I don't even read anymore and it works out just fine. I did way worse reading first couple of years and trying to develop some sort of magical intuitive capacity. Now I iust study like a robot.

DubbiDoctor likes this.
  39. mehc012

mehc012 Big Damn Hero
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Sorry, in retrospect this was a total douche post. Not intentional, and doesn't really capture the context, but still a jerk post.

That being said, while I know I did well, that feeling of coming out of an exam thinking you scored lower than your lowest pre-dedicated practice test is still not great, and I think it's worth saying that you can score well and still feel like crap afterwards. If I had scored in the 240s, I would admittedly have been disappointed, even though it's a great score...but I think that anyone who scores 25pts below their final practice exam would be. Just because your overall range is higher doesn't mean that having a bad day and performing in the low end of your range doesn't feel bad, it just means that that bad day won't screw you down the road.

#4188 mehc012, Oct 11, 2018 at 5:29 PM
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018 at 2:38 PM
    Gurby likes this.
  40. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

Can anyone give me some input for UWSA1 vs UWSA2? Took UWSA1 last week (happy with score on it but definitely feels like it overestimated by at least 10+ pts) but I know UWSA2 is more predictive (esp if you're in the 220-230 range).

I know for UWSA1, around ~61% = ~222. Anyone know what a ~220 is equal to % on UWSA2?

41. 21Rush12

Medical Student
    UW2 is probably the best predictor of the test. There’s a Reddit thread out there with some collected survey data, and anecdotally it predicted my score within 3 points. Most accurate between 220-250 range.

42. Nevergiveupok

5+ Year Member

Thank you really appreciate it. And yes, heard something similar from classmates.

43. Gurby

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You shouldn't have to apologize.

This is the internet. We're on here to vent and share information semi-anonymously. Someone asked for your experience and you gave it. I appreciate that you didn't come up with some lie to protect people's feelings.

mehc012 likes this.
  44. Rahas

Medical Student
    Disappointment has less to do with the actual score than with your expectations. Anyone consistently scoring 260+ in NBMEs is 100% going to be disappointed with a 259, which might be very surprising to others. Its a matter of perspective and perfectly understandable.