USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Damn that's crazy. When does you guys' third year begin?

We start up in the beginning of July. I want to take it around mid-June and then take 2 weeks off before third year starts. All in all, I will only have about 4 weeks of dedicated study time. It's not much, but I'm studying really intensely now to compensate.

Reactions: 1 users
We start up in the beginning of July. I want to take it around mid-June and then take 2 weeks off before third year starts. All in all, I will only have about 4 weeks of dedicated study time. It's not much, but I'm studying really intensely now to compensate.
Right there with you. Also planning about 4weeks of dedicated and that'll leave me barely a couple of weeks before 3rd year. Not yet 'studying intensely' but gearing to start. Can I ask how you're studying?

I've always wanted to start one of these, and they've been started right around this time for the past couple of years...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
look at that ; same goal !
mind me asking what speciality are you aiming for?
on a different note my first post here :) avid reader though .

I've always wanted to start one of these, and they've been started right around this time for the past couple of years...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2

My stats:

M2
Test time: late May 2018 to early June 2018
Goal Score: 195 (Daddy is busting his a$$ right now by studying 9-10 hrs every day 6 days/wk in order just to pass and score that Family Med residency in Alaska)

Reactions: 7 users
Test date: June 2018
Goal Score: 255+
Goal field: general surgery or EM.
I have a very weird plan mapped out based on my own learning preferences and students who have crushed it at my school. (I'm a crammer and score best when the material is fresh in my head).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm getting ready to take my step in February. It's time to start focusing!

I'm currently working on trying to get through all my resources twice. I'm already done with my two passes of sketchy because it's so easy to get through. I've also made it through 1 Qbank, but I am still working on my first passes of FA and Pathoma. I'm hoping this turns out well for me!

I'm getting ready to take my step in February. It's time to start focusing!

I'm currently working on trying to get through all my resources twice. I'm already done with my two passes of sketchy because it's so easy to get through. I've also made it through 1 Qbank, but I am still working on my first passes of FA and Pathoma. I'm hoping this turns out well for me!

Goal score?

DO student.

Interested in neurosurgery.

Goal is 3-hunna.

#Esskettit

Reactions: 6 users
Right there with you. Also planning about 4weeks of dedicated and that'll leave me barely a couple of weeks before 3rd year. Not yet 'studying intensely' but gearing to start. Can I ask how you're studying?
I'm also in this boat! I haven't started studying "intensely" either. I quit going to class for the first time ever. I've just been following along with FA and Pathoma for my school's current organ system which was enough to do pretty well on my course exam. I've also activated my UWorld account (early - I know) to use as another teaching resource which has also helped immensely. Some of my peers have been using Anki to review old material (biochem), but I haven't even thought to touch that yet...

hello friends, subscribing to this thread. planning to sit the exam in july 2018. goal score 250+ for neurology or something like that. i'm taking it a little easy right now since i guess i've got time, so i'm revising physiology and pathology together at a slowish pace and kind of comprehensively, and according to systems. so yeah. i'm using robbins and kaplan 2017 notes for that, and i plan to get to the corresponding systems' uworld questions eventually and not leave that til later.

Last edited:
Current stats:

M1
Test time: July-August 2019
Goal score: 275+

Completed fall 2017:
Sketchy Micro (gone through every vid and reviewing everyday with Anki)
Sketchy Pharm (same as above)

Goals for winter 2017:
Complete all of pathoma and have it on Anki review
Sketchy Pathology (full version comes out December I think?)
Convert usmle Rx flashfacts into Anki format and get through most of it
Start actively listening to Goljan lectures (one a day until my test)
Get started on usmle rx questions towards the end

Summer 2018:
Complete usmle rx and keep up with Anki reviews of sketchy + Pathoma and Goljan lectures

Fall 2018:
Complete Kaplan q bank
Make my first pass through First AID and annotate lightly. Plan on using PDF version of first aid and annotate with notability.
Rewatch pathoma along with what systems are in the block at my school
Keep up with Anki and Goljan lectures
Take my first NBME

Winter 2018:
Complete first pass of Uworld (timed random)
Second pass through First AID and annotate heavily with Uworld.
Rewatch pathoma along with systems in current block
Keep up with Anki + Goljan
Take a second NBME

Dedicated:
Complete second pass through U world
Take every other available online NBME
Take all of the old NBME's offline (to basically calibrate from U world to NBME style questions)
Keep up with Anki reviews and Goljan

Overall goals:

Stay positive and humble
Practice 10-15 mins of meditation everyday
Stay healthy and develop intrinsic motivations

I'll keep you guys posted as I complete more of the goals I've set for myself :p

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Current stats:

M1

Completed fall 2017:

Goals for winter 2017:

Summer 2018:
Complete usmle rx and keep up with Anki reviews of sketchy + Pathoma and Goljan lectures

Fall 2018:
Complete Kaplan q bank
Make my first pass through First AID and annotate lightly. Plan on using PDF version of first aid and annotate with notability.
Take my first NBME

Winter 2018:
Take a second NBME

Dedicated:
Take all of the old NBME's offline (to basically calibrate from U world to NBME style questions)

Overall goals:

Stay positive and humble

I'll keep you guys posted as I complete more of the goals I've set for myself :p
that's really neat dude, good luck!!

Test date: June 2018
Goal Score: 255+
Goal field: general surgery or EM.
I have a very weird plan mapped out based on my own learning preferences and students who have crushed it at my school. (I'm a crammer and score best when the material is fresh in my head).
share some details of your plan !

M2, test is in mid April

Goal = 250 would be great! Aiming for Uro. Backup GS if step turns out average (I'd be so, so sad though).

I've done Rx and will finish Kaplan qbank by the end of December (that one is a toughy... I'm learning a lot from it though.) I'm moving onto the 12 week study schedule in January posted elsewhere on SDN, Basically 3 passes of UFAPS + Goljan RR and BRS Phys. That will leave me with 2 weeks of reviewing Kaplan missed questions and NBME's before I take the exam.

I've been doing Zanki for classes since first year (switched from Bros->Zanki the first week Zanki came out), almost finished with the deck. I'm trying to figure out how to integrate that into my study days because I learn best with spaced repetition flashcards.

Does anyone know the June 2018 dates? My NBME certification form hasn't been processed yet and I'm trying to pick a COMLEX date...

Current stats:

M1

Completed fall 2017:

Goals for winter 2017:

Summer 2018:

Fall 2018:
Complete Kaplan q bank
Take my first NBME

Winter 2018:
Take a second NBME

Dedicated:

Overall goals:

Stay positive and humble

ROFL. Cool story, bro.

Reactions: 10 users
That’s what my mom said when I told her I got into medschool... Got any improvements or are you just going to heckle me lol
I think @68PGunner was heckling you a little of course but it had an actual message behind it. I have a few comments.
1. Theres absolutely no reason to aim for a score that high. Supposedly scores that high arent perceived well by PDs at times. Its actually nearly impossible to score that anyway. "Shoot for the stars and if you fall youll land on a cloud" is a good idea in general but a 275+ is a little much. Id suggest lowering the goal to a 270 or 265. I commend you on dreaming but be a little more realistic about it.
2. Please dont tell anyone you know personally that your goal is a 275. Youll come across as a jerk and if you dont achieve at least a 260 everyone will laugh at you behind your back.
3. Your plan is very elaborate. Just live your life and enjoy the preclinical years as much as possible. Focus on your studies but not necessarily on an exam thats 2 years away. Doing all of pathoma this winter means youre trying to cover all of med school well before your class does. That might sound like a good idea but im really not sure it is. Its important to study hard for the class youre taking. Youll have no other opportunity to dedicate as much time to neuro as you would in your neuro module.

I think @68PGunner was heckling you a little of course but it had an actual message behind it. I have a few comments.
1. Theres absolutely no reason to aim for a score that high. Supposedly scores that high arent perceived well by PDs at times. Its actually nearly impossible to score that anyway. "Shoot for the stars and if you fall youll land on a cloud" is a good idea in general but a 275+ is a little much. Id suggest lowering the goal to a 270 or 265. I commend you on dreaming but be a little more realistic about it.
2. Please dont tell anyone you know personally that your goal is a 275. Youll come across as a jerk and if you dont achieve at least a 260 everyone will laugh at you behind your back.
3. Your plan is very elaborate. Just live your life and enjoy the preclinical years as much as possible. Focus on your studies but not necessarily on an exam thats 2 years away. Doing all of pathoma this winter means youre trying to cover all of med school well before your class does. That might sound like a good idea but im really not sure it is. Its important to study hard for the class youre taking. Youll have no other opportunity to dedicate as much time to neuro as you would in your neuro module.

1. I don't buy that PD's perceive 270+ scores in a negative light. After a certain threshold it's your interview skills that make all the difference anyway. I'm not shooting for the stars to land in the clouds, I'm trying to land in the stars. It does seem absurd but there have been at least two other people on SDN that have posted 275+ experiences and a sibling who scored in the 270's. It's also important to note that goals scores are completely arbitrary numbers we make up whereas your actual score is a function of your effort. Goal scores convey how much effort you are willing to put in, and I'm willing to put in a lot.

2. I'm socially adept enough to realize not to do that in real life. I never talk about my grades. I think it's tacky and bad form, almost like asking someone how much money they make. In terms of people making fun of me, I have enough self worth to not give a ****.

3. This is a point that many people like to make here on sdn and I think it's completely off base. It's never too early to start studying and if you haven't started studying you are already behind. Covering and maturing a deck like zanki, that has 27000+ cards, is pretty much impossible if you start with 6 months left. The idea of waiting for this institutionalized, cookie cutter form of education we call medical school to teach you something before you decide to learn it yourself is also pretty absurd. I trust myself and dr. Sattar to teach me something more than some old man with a 10 year old powerpoint. Also, let's be real: it starts with going to lectures, to watching from home, to reading the slides at home while you study by yourself.

I'm sure you'll have some anecdotal response on how you did really well on step without as much effort, etc but I feel like that's not representative of a lot of the really high scores that we have seen in the past, with a lot of this spanning over 18 months.

Reactions: 14 users
1. I don't buy that PD's perceive 270+ scores in a negative light. After a certain threshold it's your interview skills that make all the difference anyway. I'm not shooting for the stars to land in the clouds, I'm trying to land in the stars. It does seem absurd but there have been at least two other people on SDN that have posted 275+ experiences and a sibling who scored in the 270's. It's also important to note that goals scores are completely arbitrary numbers we make up whereas your actual score is a function of your effort. Goal scores convey how much effort you are willing to put in, and I'm willing to put in a lot.

2. I'm socially adept enough to realize not to do that in real life. I never talk about my grades. I think it's tacky and bad form, almost like asking someone how much money they make. In terms of people making fun of me, I have enough self worth to not give a ****.

3. This is a point that many people like to make here on sdn and I think it's completely off base. It's never too early to start studying and if you haven't started studying you are already behind. Covering and maturing a deck like zanki, that has 27000+ cards, is pretty much impossible if you start with 6 months left. The idea of waiting for this institutionalized, cookie cutter form of education we call medical school to teach you something before you decide to learn it yourself is also pretty absurd. I trust myself and dr. Sattar to teach me something more than some old man with a 10 year old powerpoint. Also, let's be real: it starts with going to lectures, to watching from home, to reading the slides at home while you study by yourself.

I'm sure you'll have some anecdotal response on how you did really well on step without as much effort, etc but I feel like that's not representative of a lot of the really high scores that we have seen in the past, with a lot of this spanning over 18 months.
I wouldnt respond with an anecdote because my experience is only mine. Would never assume yours would be identical. It sounds like youre gonna work really hard and i respect that. Nevertheless your goal is too high. Everyone who scored in the 270s could have just as easily scored in the 260s on another given day. In fact the exam reports an error of measurement of 6 points and id venture to say that error of measurement becomes increasingly important at the higher end of the scores where only a few questions separate a 270 from a 265 and so on.

Noone is saying use your lecture notes and nothing else. But if you use only pathoma and only review sources you will not succeed.

I wouldnt respond with an anecdote because my experience is only mine. Would never assume yours would be identical. It sounds like youre gonna work really hard and i respect that. Nevertheless your goal is too high. Everyone who scored in the 270s could have just as easily scored in the 260s on another given day. In fact the exam reports an error of measurement of 6 points and id venture to say that error of measurement becomes increasingly important at the higher end of the scores where only a few questions separate a 270 from a 265 and so on.

Noone is saying use your lecture notes and nothing else. But if you use only pathoma and only review sources you will not succeed.

An anecdote is just a story that can be real or fake, about yourself or of someone else, that’s usually humorous and has an underlying point. We can agree to disagree. I’m not interested in discussing how much of a factor luck or exam variability plays in your score, mainly because its a lazy argument that has no real answer. It’s like asking how much of a difference wearing a lucky shirt makes when taking a test. I think its distasteful to discredit people who actually earn high scores by making that argument though. Because its not all luck, there’s a full standard deviation between a 260 and a 275.

An anecdote is just a story that can be real or fake, about yourself or of someone else, that’s usually humorous and has an underlying point. We can agree to disagree. I’m not interested in discussing how much of a factor luck or exam variability plays in your score, mainly because its a lazy argument that has no real answer. It’s like asking how much of a difference wearing a lucky shirt makes when taking a test. I think its distasteful to discredit people who actually earn high scores by making that argument though. Because its not all luck, there’s a full standard deviation between a 260 and a 275.
Ive stated already that the error of measurement is 6 points. This by definition means that a 270 couldve scored between a 264 and 276 on all of the "possible" exams with an even wider spread if you want to increase the confidence but i think +/- 6 is enough. So im not discrediting anything.

What im actually telling you is get a life and dont devote all of your next 2 years to a single exam. I was just trying to be cordial but clearly you dont deserve any courtesy.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
M1
If you beat me in an arm wrestling competition, I will give you my blessing to score a 275+. However, if you lose I will feed you to my Diphyllobothrium latum collection that I keep in my bathtub. They are hungry.

Reactions: 17 users
Ive stated already that the error of measurement is 6 points. This by definition means that a 270 couldve scored between a 264 and 276 on all of the "possible" exams with an even wider spread if you want to increase the confidence but i think +/- 6 is enough. So im not discrediting anything.

What im actually telling you is get a life and dont devote all of your next 2 years to a single exam. I was just trying to be cordial but clearly you dont deserve any courtesy.

In the words of Gandhi, "Haters gonna hate."

Edit: the amount of hubris it takes to tell someone how to live their life is quite high, and it's palpable in you my friend

In the words of Gandhi, "Haters gonna hate."

Edit: the amount of hubris it takes to tell someone how to live their life is quite high, and it's palpable in you my friend
Youre posting on a forum where people help each other based on personal experience. Im 2 years ahead of you in school and I am offering my advice to you.

Youre arrogant enough to shoot down all of my advice when i was being very courteous AND your goal score is achieved by less than .01% of people taking the exam and im the one with the hubris?
If you do score a 275 itll finally prove beyond a reasonable doubt that one doesnt have to be intelligent to score well on Step I.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Youre posting on a forum where people help each other based on personal experience. Im 2 years ahead of you in school and I am offering my advice to you.

Youre arrogant enough to shoot down all of my advice when i was being very courteous AND your goal score is achieved by less than .01% of people taking the exam and im the one with the hubris?
If you do score a 275 itll finally prove beyond a reasonable doubt that one doesnt have to be intelligent to score well on Step I.

If going out of your way to discourage people can be advice, sure I'll give you that. Although I have read hundreds of experiences (and I wish I was exaggerating) and the advice you are giving is not congruent with most people that scored very highly.

Most of these people start extremely early, have very high first-time pass percentages on q banks and use most of the resources that I listed in my first post. The biggest regret that most upperclassmen have about step is not trying hard enough and not starting earlier.

All I've heard from you are baseless moot points about exam error and subtle ad-hominem attacks. I'm sorry I didn't sufficiently stroke your ego when you gave me your sacred 2 year old advice.

If going out of your way to discourage people can be advice, sure I'll give you that. Although I have read hundreds of experiences (and I wish I was exaggerating) and the advice you are giving is not congruent with most people that scored very highly.

Most of these people start extremely early, have very high first-time pass percentages on q banks and use most of the resources that I listed in my first post. The biggest regret that most upperclassmen have about step is not trying hard enough and not starting earlier.

All I've heard from you are baseless moot points about exam error and subtle ad-hominem attacks. I'm sorry I didn't sufficiently stroke your ego when you gave me your sacred 2 year old advice.
In what world is telling someone to shoot for the 99th or 99.9th percentile instead of the 99.99th percentile discouragement? How dare i suggest that you lower your goal just a little?

Of course people who didnt score as well as they wanted to are gonna blame it on not starting early enough. They have no way of proving anything and neither do you. And regardless, i can assure you that no upperclassman would suggest you go through Pathoma Oncology or any Onc 1 year before your class even touches it.

Baseless? Moot? The score report literally says the standard error of measurement for step 1 is 6 points. Do you not understand what that means or do you just not believe in statistics?

Dude youre honestly one of the most arrogant posters i have ever seen.

Last edited:
In what world is telling someone to shoot for the 99th or 99.9th percentile instead of the 99.99th percentile discouragement? How dare i suggest that you lower your goal just a little?

Of course people who didnt score as well as they wanted to are gonna blame it on not starting early enough. They have no way of proving anything and neither do you. And regardless, i can assure you that no upperclassman would suggest you go through Pathoma Oncology or any Onc 1 year before your class even touches it.

Baseless? Moot? The score report literally says the standard error of measurement for step 1 is 6 points. Do you not understand what that means or do you just not believe in statistics?

Dude youre honestly one of the most arrogant posters i have ever seen.

Hey kid, by the way that goal you set for yourself, it's too high. Why don't you pipe it down a little bit? That way i can feel a little more secure. Thanks kid.

The point I was making with your error of measurement is that not everybody who scores a 275 is on a 6 point outlier, how TF is that hard to understand? The likelihood of someone scoring above a 275 because of error of measurement is so damn unlikely as well. Your baseline needs to be 260+ which already weeds out most students, and then you need to win 10-11 coinflips. I like the personal attack at the end as well. Unlike you I have no need to make others look bad to make myself feel good though.

Hey kid, by the way that goal you set for yourself, it's too high. Why don't you pipe it down a little bit? That way i can feel a little more secure. Thanks kid.

The point I was making with your error of measurement is that not everybody who scores a 275 is on a 6 point outlier, how TF is that hard to understand? The likelihood of someone scoring above a 275 because of error of measurement is so damn unlikely as well. Your baseline needs to be 260+ which already weeds out most students, and then you need to win 10-11 coinflips. I like the personal attack at the end as well. Unlike you I have no need to make others look bad to make myself feel good though.
I initially responded to you respectfully but in your arrogance you turned me against you. Im not sure you understand what SEM is. Its in first aid if you want to take a look. Maybe on your 7th pass thru it youll finally understand.

I initially responded to you respectfully but in your arrogance you turned me against you. Im not sure you understand what SEM is. Its in first aid if you want to take a look. Maybe on your 7th pass thru it youll finally understand.

I know what a damn confidence interval is, I don't think you know what humility is though. Hopefully they thrash it out of you in residency :)

This site has turned into absolute garbage these past few years, mostly because of people who have absolutely zero knowledge or credibility on certain topics pontificating on topics they know nothing about. There are MS-1s in the residency forums critiquing on programs and even pre-meds saying how to study for the USMLE. SMH. SMH.

Reactions: 15 users
This site has turned into absolute garbage these past few years, mostly because of people who have absolutely zero knowledge or credibility on certain topics pontificating on topics they know nothing about. There are MS-1s in the residency forums critiquing on programs and even pre-meds saying how to study for the USMLE. SMH. SMH.
The dude above was in premed diapers 3 months ago, doesnt take any advice from a guy who scored well and is 2 years ahead and then says im the one lacking humility

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
This site is actually just an extension of the toxicity present in most medical schools. People are more interested in making themselves look better by putting those around them down instead of actually making those around them better in the hope that they will do the same for them. The same people ****-post, and the pattern can be seen in people's message histories. It's sad, but luckily we still have reddit, where the asinine posters just get downvoted.

Alrighttttttt I'm gonna change the subject here.

Exam date: Mid March
Goal score: 250 (realistic but still gonna need to work my butt off)
Pre-dedicated resources: Firecracker erryday FTW. Uworld, Rx, Robbins Review +big Robbins, Goljan, and pathoma on the treadmill
Dedicated resources: TBD. Prob just Uworld, FA, Goljan, Firecracker for memorizing stuff like micro and pharm. Maybe pathoma on the treadmill.

Currently trying to get through first pass of Uworld, FA, and Goljan before the start of dedicated. Doing 15 Uworld Qs a day, 15 pages of FA, and 20 pages of Goljan. Will have about 8 weeks of dedicated, might move test date up if I start getting burnt out.

This site is actually just an extension of the toxicity present in most medical schools. People are more interested in making themselves look better by putting those around them down instead of actually making those around them better in the hope that they will do the same for them. The same people ****-post, and the pattern can be seen in people's message histories. It's sad, but luckily we still have reddit, where the asinine posters just get downvoted.

Go away this thread is not for M1s

Alrighttttttt I'm gonna change the subject here.

Exam date: Mid March
Goal score: 250 (realistic but still gonna need to work my butt off)
Pre-dedicated resources: Firecracker erryday FTW. Uworld, Rx, Robbins Review +big Robbins, Goljan, and pathoma on the treadmill
Dedicated resources: TBD. Prob just Uworld, FA, Goljan, Firecracker for memorizing stuff like micro and pharm. Maybe pathoma on the treadmill.

Currently trying to get through first pass of Uworld, FA, and Goljan before the start of dedicated. Doing 15 Uworld Qs a day, 15 pages of FA, and 20 pages of Goljan. Will have about 8 weeks of dedicated, might move test date up if I start getting burnt out.
I always found goljan to be a really tough resource to use as review. To me it was just too much info to absorb. I had a friend who used it and he murdered step 1 tho (it obviously wasnt his only resource). If you can really absorb everything in it youll be golden. Good luck

I always found goljan to be a really tough resource to use as review. To me it was just too much info to absorb. I had a friend who used it and he murdered step 1 tho (it obviously wasnt his only resource). If you can really absorb everything in it youll be golden. Good luck

Thanks. I actually enjoy reading it more than any other resource which tells me I should keep doing it! But like you said its a TON of facts...I'm not gonna stress trying to pick up extraneous details, but use it more to solidify and conceptualize the core material. I don't really need to crush step for what I'm going into, so I don't feel the pressure to nail down all the facts. I'm more interested in reviewing what I've learned and building a super strong foundation for M3 and beyond. Good luck to you as well

This thread is gonna be gold with humility next summer.