USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
The longer I wait for these results, the worse I think I've done. Anyone else feel the same?

anyone take the test today and think is was the most impossible thing ever? Could only know 15% of the questions with every word of pathoma memorized

Members don't see this ad :)
anyone take the test today and think is was the most impossible thing ever? Could only know 15% of the questions with every word of pathoma memorized

98% of people seem to feel like this. That other 2% usually finds their way on this site but nonetheless some of the 98% still show up here. I'll echo what the next person might say - trust your scores and everything will be alright! Congrats to be done

Reactions: 1 users
The longer I wait for these results, the worse I think I've done. Anyone else feel the same?

I go back and forth. When I got out I thought I failed

Then I got drunk and was like “It’s Fiiiiiiine”

Then I sobered up and was like “Fuuuuuuuuuuuu**”

Rinse and repeat

Reactions: 10 users

Yes. I felt really bad the same day after the test because I counted a bunch of mistakes. Then the next few days were fine because I hung out with some of my college friends and that took my mind away from the test. The problem is that I don't start rotations for another 2 weeks so there's a lot of downtime that makes me think of the exam.

I'm freaking out because I've already counted 10ish mistakes and most of those were on questions I didn't even mark, so I shudder to think how many I got wrong among those I actually marked and didn't know how to do. I always get more wrong than I think so I'm sweating bullets here and I've almost convinced myself I'm going to be one of those "scores a ton below practice exam" people lol. Because that's what happened on my MCAT. Hopefully it's not the case but I'm going to prepare myself for the worst so that anything better is a bonus.

Also, I've made up my mind to not check my score until I get back home from the hospital on that Wednesday. I am actually strongly considering waiting until Friday evening so that I have the weekend to process a bad result, but I probably will not have the self-control to wait until then haha.

Retweeting this for any additional opinions. This guy can use some help.
Step was on a Thursday for me, so I took an NBME the week before (actually took #18 2 weeks before Step, but then chickened out on 19 so took 15 the week before), and then did UWSA2 the Sunday before. I didn't take the Free120.

Reactions: 1 user
Step was on a Thursday for me, so I took an NBME the week before (actually took #18 2 weeks before Step, but then chickened out on 19 so took 15 the week before), and then did UWSA2 the Sunday before. I didn't take the Free120.

This is exactly what I was thinking of doing! Was thinking Free120 tomorrow, NBME Thursday and then UWSA on Sunday. Thanks for the input

Just got an email with the subject line "performance report for step 1". Turned out that my UWorld expired and they sent me a performance report for the Qbank. Nearly had a freaking heart attack.

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the free 120 and NBME 18 were probably most similar to the real deal, with free 120 being more similar. So maybe take that last.

Take Free 120 as last practice before the real test.

Thanks for the responses! I'll try to take those later then, hopefully they don't crush my confidence too much lol

So I took step last week and feel like crap ever since. Feel like I second guessed myself and missed gimme questions. I’m really worried and have been upset since then. Anyone have a similar experience and have it turn out okay? I feel like whenever I have a bad test I KNOW I did bad. Do you think this will be the case?

USWA1 - 249
NBME 18 - 242
Free 120- 80%
USWA2 - 258
Uworld first pass - 78%

Just feeling really down. I thought my exam was really tough and then getting really easy questions wrong makes me feel like I might not even have gotten a 220. Just needed to vent thanks everyone

Reactions: 2 users
Trust your scores. I seriously tell that to so many people because I've rarely seen people do as well as you are on exams and then bomb the real thing.

I'm sure you did well and you'll get the score you need!

So I took step last week and feel like crap ever since. Feel like I second guessed myself and missed gimme questions. I’m really worried and have been upset since then. Anyone have a similar experience and have it turn out okay? I feel like whenever I have a bad test I KNOW I did bad. Do you think this will be the case?

USWA1 - 249
NBME 18 - 242
Free 120- 80%
USWA2 - 258
Uworld first pass - 78%

Just feeling really down. I thought my exam was really tough and then getting really easy questions wrong makes me feel like I might not even have gotten a 220. Just needed to vent thanks everyone

I feel exactly like you and have similar scores. Missed some of the easiest questions on the exam.

Just finished UWSA 2. Got 249
My score so far
Uwsa1 1 243 ( as my first assessment )
Nbme 16 240
Nbme 17 240
Nbme 19 240
Free 120 87%
Uwsa 2 249..
Where do I stand ?
Exam in 10 days..
Not happy with today's score was expecting 250 above

**** that was hard. 7 blocks of UW literally. For better or for worse, I'm glad it's over with. And fingers-crossed, I'll never have to study for it again...:vomit:

**** that was hard. 7 blocks of UW literally. For better or for worse, I'm glad it's over with. And fingers-crossed, I'll never have to study for it again...:vomit:

Took it today too! It was literally like a harder (or similar? idk it's all a blur) UWorld. I definitely didn't expect them to be THAT similar. I definitely had a fair amount of educated guesses based on choosing between 2ish answers. And of course there were gimmes....and of course there were gimmes that I got wrong...kill me...

Took it today too! It was literally like a harder (or similar? idk it's all a blur) UWorld. I definitely didn't expect them to be THAT similar. I definitely had a fair amount of educated guesses based on choosing between 2ish answers. And of course there were gimmes....and of course there were gimmes that I got wrong...kill me...

Yeah! Ugh, I'm getting paranoid now. I hope I passed. I keep reading everyone walks out of it feeling bad about it, but I didn't expect I'd feel this bad. Hopefully it works out for us. It was an honor doing battle by your side!

Yeah! Ugh, I'm getting paranoid now. I hope I passed. I keep reading everyone walks out of it feeling bad about it, but I didn't expect I'd feel this bad. Hopefully it works out for us. It was an honor doing battle by your side!

What makes everyone feel so bad? I'm curious, is it the material being difficult? Or was it material out of left field? Etc.

What makes everyone feel so bad? I'm curious, is it the material being difficult? Or was it material out of left field? Etc.
The lack of certainty and the lack of immediate feedback. I feel like I took "educated" guesses on a lot of the questions (I'm below average anyway, UWSA2/NBMEs predict 220). Also, for lower score people like me there's the added fear of the possibility of not passing - which contributes a lot to the panic.:scared:

The lack of certainty and the lack of immediate feedback. I feel like I took "educated" guesses on a lot of the questions (I'm below average anyway, UWSA2/NBMEs predict 220). Also, for lower score people like me there's the added fear of the possibility of not passing - which contributes a lot to the panic.:scared:

Okay I see what you're saying but it seems that a lot of people feel that way so dont worry too much about it. Besides there's nothing to be done now so keep yourself busy and I'm sure it all works out in the end!

Drive to the test center before your date and become familiar with your surroundings, the staff, become familiar with the headphones that the test center uses
Calculate drive time, add traffic patterns given the day/time, know which route will be best so that you can avoid high traffic routes with potential automobile accidents
Plan your meals and pack a lunch box the day prior. Bottled water and thermos of coffee are helpful

Take rubber ear plugs....test takers exist who create extraneous noise
e.g. View attachment 235892

Wear light baggy clothing, e.g. cargo shorts, light blouse/ shirt, clogs
Avoid Benzos the night before
Visit the gym the day prior to your test to redirect your stress, get a massage, have sex with your husband/wife, etc
Show up early and do whatever the test center monitors tell you to do....they create a lot of anxiety with their militant frisking, checking of pockets, their metal wand detector, telling you to spread em....it is a wonder they did not do a body cavity search (jking)

Breathe!

it will be over before you know it

The whole ordeal sux. The anxiety and pressure are crushing but there is nothing you can do about it so just play the game. Anxiety and pressure are the enemy, not the material, so conquer the former as best you can, and go from there

Thanks for that advice! I struggle with that a little so definitely going to make it my best effort to relax these next few days! Thanks for that

I took step last Thursday and I want to share my experiences and advice.

I didn't think that it was too hard, which might be a bad thing. There were several questions that I didn't know, but only like 2 questions that I had absolutely no clue about. I am also not expecting a super high score; my last practice test was UWSA2 and I got a 245, so decent but nothing amazing. I just hope that I wasn't overly confident and actually did awful on the real thing, lol.

I was really worried before I took the exam that I would run out of stamina. I actually had an easier time getting through step than I did getting through NBMEs. Each block on step is only 40 questions (compared to 50 on NBME), so you get that dose of accomplishment from finishing a block sooner than you do from the practice NBME tests.

TAKE BREAKS!! I think this saved my butt, lol. Yes, it is annoying to have to keep giving them your fingerprint and get scanned with the metal detector, etc., but keeping up your stamina is worth it. I did 2 blocks, then bathroom break, 2 more blocks then 45 min for lunch, and then the final 3 blocks.

Lastly, you've got this. :) Don't stress too much, just do your best. If you are passing the NBMEs and UWSAs, it's very unlikely that you will fail the actual exam. Be as kind as possible to yourself during test day. 8 hours goes by much more quickly than I was anticipating, and it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be.

Reactions: 6 users
I took step last Thursday and I want to share my experiences and advice.

I didn't think that it was too hard, which might be a bad thing. There were several questions that I didn't know, but only like 2 questions that I had absolutely no clue about. I am also not expecting a super high score; my last practice test was UWSA2 and I got a 245, so decent but nothing amazing. I just hope that I wasn't overly confident and actually did awful on the real thing, lol.

I was really worried before I took the exam that I would run out of stamina. I actually had an easier time getting through step than I did getting through NBMEs. Each block on step is only 40 questions (compared to 50 on NBME), so you get that dose of accomplishment from finishing a block sooner than you do from the practice NBME tests.

TAKE BREAKS!! I think this saved my butt, lol. Yes, it is annoying to have to keep giving them your fingerprint and get scanned with the metal detector, etc., but keeping up your stamina is worth it. I did 2 blocks, then bathroom break, 2 more blocks then 45 min for lunch, and then the final 3 blocks.

Lastly, you've got this. :) Don't stress too much, just do your best. If you are passing the NBMEs and UWSAs, it's very unlikely that you will fail the actual exam. Be as kind as possible to yourself during test day. 8 hours goes by much more quickly than I was anticipating, and it wasn't nearly as painful as I thought it would be.

This was also well needed on here. Thanks!! The positive vibes are awesome.

Does anyone know anyone who got their score today?
To echo this, would anyone who got their score today let us know when you took your exam? I took mine on June 9th and am trying to gage when I will get my score with the “potential delay.” I know someone earlier said they tested on May 10th and still don’t have their scores?? Thanks so much!

To echo this, would anyone who got their score today let us know when you took your exam? I took mine on June 9th and am trying to gage when I will get my score with the “potential delay.” I know someone earlier said they tested on May 10th and still don’t have their scores?? Thanks so much!
Yep took mine the 10th and nothing yet

Took it on May 10th and didn't find out today :(

Wow, that’s crazy! I’m sorry y’all have had to wait for so long! Is this the case for everyone y’all know who took it in May or just an unlucky few?

I know of people who took it on May 9th and got their score back about 3 weeks ago. I haven't heard of anyone who took it after May 9th and has their score. Our Dean says we won't find out until July 11th

Edit: April exam

Sorry I’m late to the party — I posted an obligatory post-exam pre-score freakout and then forgot to update after I got my score.

CBSE 3 weeks before: 238
NBME 17, 18, 19 ranging from 1-2 weeks before: 248, 250, 257 respectively (felt 19 definitely played to my strengths)

The night before, I didn’t sleep a bit, and during the test, I felt overcome by physical and mental exhaustion as the blocks rolled by. After the test, I beat myself up over super easy questions I knew I missed. There was no way I could’ve scored around my practice test scores! I would’ve been thrilled if I’d made a 235.

Real deal: 252

Don’t sweat the little stuff, trust your prep, and try to get some sleep!

Reactions: 9 users
Edit: April exam

Sorry I’m late to the party — I posted an obligatory post-exam pre-score freakout and then forgot to update after I got my score.

CBSE 3 weeks before: 238
NBME 17, 18, 19 ranging from 1-2 weeks before: 248, 250, 257 respectively (felt 19 definitely played to my strengths)

The night before, I didn’t sleep a bit, and during the test, I felt overcome by physical and mental exhaustion as the blocks rolled by. After the test, I beat myself up over super easy questions I knew I missed. There was no way I could’ve scored around my practice test scores! I would’ve been thrilled if I’d made a 235.

Real deal: 252

Don’t sweat the little stuff, trust your prep, and try to get some sleep!

Great score!

How many did you count and knew you missed post exam?

Any other stats? UWSA1/2? Other NBMEs/CBSEs?

Great score!

How many did you count and knew you missed post exam?

Any other stats? UWSA1/2? Other NBMEs/CBSEs?
Thanks!

Some blocks, I felt like I flagged every other or every third question. Other blocks, I probably flagged three or four total. After the test, I could think of probably 15-20 questions I knew I missed or was at least quite sure I missed.

Didn’t take any other practice tests. UWorld first pass was ~72% or so. Did these as we went through the various systems over the first two years. Didn’t make a complete second pass during dedicated study time, had a couple hundred questions left by exam day. Was getting 85% +/- a few points on each block leading up to the real deal.

Reactions: 4 users