USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Not yet! I'm planning on doing my diagnostic at the end of my kaplan qbank so probably in another 3 weeks or so. I'm hoping as I start to finish up the rest of my systems and once I start hitting UWorld that my scores will go up.
Oh gotcha, well keep me posted if you don't mind, im going to review all my pharm and then take the second 7 hour diagnostic in two weeks as well. Its good to find someone with same stats and have same goal and time frame. good luck!

Starting studying again for USMLE on Monday. Studied for this exam (and COMLEX) last year but didn’t take USMLE after all. Last year I finished UW with 77% average and was scoring in the low 240s on NBMEs.

Plan for this time around us to complete all Kaplan, RX and UW(again) Q banks.

Using Boards and Beyond as my content review.

Goal score: 250

Reactions: 1 user
Goal: 260+
Score: 265
Studying time: About 14 months

I've written a step by step guide for IMGs; take a look if you are preparing for Step 1.

Attachments

• USMLE Step 1 in 18 Steps.pdf
    1,013.8 KB · Views: 283
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If I remember correctly I got a 253 on NBME 18 which was about 3 weeks out from exam and a 263 on UWSA which was about a week out. I think my success had more to do with the resources I decided to focus on, and choosing to stop studying subjects which I felt comfortable with. Sorry if Im coming across as it being easy - I definitely worked hard during dedicated it’s just my personal philosophy that people work themselves up much more over this test than is necessary.
Survivors bias

Sent from my VS996 using SDN mobile

Wondering what I should plan to do during wrap up the last 10-12 days before exam. I will have done a detailed pass through all material with firecracker, goljan, and finished 2nd pass of Uworld. Have not been using FA as it is redundant with FC. Any thoughts on the best way to rapidly review all the small facts? Not sure if its feasible to go through goljan again in that time period. Considering using FA but worried that it will slow me down as I have not and do not plan to use it extensively. Thoughts?

Wondering what I should plan to do during wrap up the last 10-12 days before exam. I will have done a detailed pass through all material with firecracker, goljan, and finished 2nd pass of Uworld. Have not been using FA as it is redundant with FC. Any thoughts on the best way to rapidly review all the small facts? Not sure if its feasible to go through goljan again in that time period. Considering using FA but worried that it will slow me down as I have not and do not plan to use it extensively. Thoughts?

First three chapters of pathoma or similar...very heavily represented on my (and all my friends') exam/s.

Reactions: 1 users
Wow I have almost identical stats, also 59 percent in Kaplan in December, i have 63 percent in Kaplan q bank, took the Kaplan 7 hour diagnostic got a 66%, did you take the Kaplan diagnostic, i'm taking my step june 8th.

Not yet! I'm planning on doing my diagnostic at the end of my kaplan qbank so probably in another 3 weeks or so. I'm hoping as I start to finish up the rest of my systems and once I start hitting UWorld that my scores will go up.

What'd you guys think of the Kaplan diagnostics?

Starting studying again for USMLE on Monday. Studied for this exam (and COMLEX) last year but didn’t take USMLE after all. Last year I finished UW with 77% average and was scoring in the low 240s on NBMEs.

Plan for this time around us to complete all Kaplan, RX and UW(again) Q banks.

Using Boards and Beyond as my content review.

Goal score: 250

Why didn't you take the test the last time around?

was watching some videos on step 1 today and they started mentioning how if you are just using standard step 1 material (UFAP) you cannot expect to score high since thats what everyone uses so it can only get you an average score. Sorta makes sense if EVERYONE memorized those materials but they said you need to do robbins, etc to get above average score. just here so that you guys can confirm thats BS and i can go back to feeling okay about UFAP + sketchy with a goal of 250. thanks

was watching some videos on step 1 today and they started mentioning how if you are just using standard step 1 material (UFAP) you cannot expect to score high since thats what everyone uses so it can only get you an average score. Sorta makes sense if EVERYONE memorized those materials but they said you need to do robbins, etc to get above average score. just here so that you guys can confirm thats BS and i can go back to feeling okay about UFAP + sketchy with a goal of 250. thanks

This study was recently published in November. While the sample size is limited, the number of unique practice questions done has the highest correlation to how well someone will do on the Step 1. This would suggest that if you were limited on time and had the option to either do another qbank vs go through another read of Pathoma/Sketchy/etc, going through another qbank would provide more significant gains. I feel like this is reasonable because going through review material several times causes students to experience what is essentially comfort bias - the whole "I recognize this, so I must know it at least enough to be able to reason my way through it." Doing unique questions removes the bias because you're clearly testing whether or not you know the material by practice.

Study Behaviors and USMLE Step 1 Performance: Implications ... : Academic Medicine

Couldn't it be explained that some students memorized things better or more systematically? You could argue everyone studies the same thing in school too but there's a bell curve based on how many passes someone wants to go over material or how gifted they are or if they found their most effective study method.

People may know of FA, UWORLD, zanki, etc but not everyone dedicates their full effort into it. From what I've read on some breakdowns, some people said they studied those resources but made 1 or 2 passes, others said they had all of FA memorized through bros or flashcards, and some just referenced it. At the same time there are people who have gotten great scores through sheer effort (the most recent post was the person who did like 150k zanki cards and had a strong score before even dedicated. Not everyone puts in that effort or time.

What'd you guys think of the Kaplan diagnostics?

They are good to do in the beginning to see where you stand, there are three of them 1 id 4 hours the other two are exactly like step with respect to length, i would save one of the 7 hour ones closer to my actual step just to build stamina.

Hey guys, test is Friday. I just got 243 on UWSA2. I think concentration was a big problem for me because I got 88% on the first block and it was down to 67% on the last.

Anyway, how does UWSA compare these days to the real? I saw the meddit post about it correlating the best these days. Is it still over predicting by 20points? My goal is 240-245.
My UWorld average is around 77%

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys! Just looking for some study advice. I am an US MD student from the northeast. I took a 1 year LOA after my 2nd year ended in May 2017 due to family issues that required my time until the beginning of February 2018. I am scheduled to take step in 11 weeks in the beginning of May 2018 before 3rd year rotations start in the beginning of June. I was an average student during my pre-clinical years but just was met with unfortunate circumstances. I was wondering if doing UFAP + Sketchy + Boards and Beyond would be enough to put me in a position to get a 240 as my foundation is very weak after some time off? I have a red flag on my application from my first year and a remediation in 2 blocks during 2nd year(related to the LOA after 2nd year) so I really need to do the best that I can on Step 1 to salvage my medical career. I know it is a long shot but do you think there is any chance of me possibly matching into anesthesia or EM if I somehow do well on Step 1, Step 2 , Rotations, and get good LOR's? Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really appreciate any advice!!

TLDR Is UFAP + Sketchy + Boards and Beyond enough for an average student to get above a 230 and possible match into Anesthesia or EM with a few red flags in preclinicals?

Last edited:
Couldn't it be explained that some students memorized things better or more systematically? You could argue everyone studies the same thing in school too but there's a bell curve based on how many passes someone wants to go over material or how gifted they are or if they found their most effective study method.

People may know of FA, UWORLD, zanki, etc but not everyone dedicates their full effort into it. From what I've read on some breakdowns, some people said they studied those resources but made 1 or 2 passes, others said they had all of FA memorized through bros or flashcards, and some just referenced it. At the same time there are people who have gotten great scores through sheer effort (the most recent post was the person who did like 150k zanki cards and had a strong score before even dedicated. Not everyone puts in that effort or time.

I think FA is pretty close to comprehensive, but there is a major difference between having it memorized and understanding things well enough to answer tricky questions, and not making dumb mistakes/mixing things up in the heat of the moment. To me first aid is like a study guide that you use to make sure you have seen/understand everything. It is not a primary learning resource because there is hardly any context, just a bunch of facts.
Hey Guys! Just looking for some study advice. I am an US MD student from the northeast. I took a 1 year LOA after my 2nd year ended in May 2017 due to family issues that required my time until the beginning of February 2018. I am scheduled to take step in 11 weeks in the beginning of May 2018 before 3rd year rotations start in the beginning of June. I was an average student during my pre-clinical years but just was met with unfortunate circumstances. I was wondering if doing UFAP + Sketchy + Boards and Beyond would be enough to put me in a position to get a 240 as my foundation is very weak after some time off? I have a red flag on my application from my first year and a remediation in 2 blocks during 2nd year(related to the LOA after 2nd year) so I really need to do the best that I can on Step 1 to salvage my medical career. I know it is a long shot but do you think there is any chance of me possibly matching into anesthesia or EM if I somehow do well on Step 1, Step 2 , Rotations, and get good LOR's? Thank you for taking the time to read this and I really appreciate any advice!!

Just go hard. I think it matters most how well you use your materials, not so much what you decide to use. they all have essentially the same core information. test them out and see if you like them.

I think FA is pretty close to comprehensive, but there is a major difference between having it memorized and understanding things well enough to answer tricky questions, and not making dumb mistakes/mixing things up in the heat of the moment. To me first aid is like a study guide that you use to make sure you have seen/understand everything. It is not a primary learning resource because there is hardly any context, just a bunch of facts.

Just go hard. I think it matters most how well you use your materials, not so much what you decide to use. they all have essentially the same core information. test them out and see if you like them.

Thanks for the reply! Would 11 weeks be enough time to get through all of this and be ready for the test? Of course NBMEs and UWSAs will also be done

Thanks for the reply! Would 11 weeks be enough time to get through all of this and be ready for the test? Of course NBMEs and UWSAs will also be done

I have no idea, I think it really depends on how well you already know the material. It took me 4 days to review neuro (weakest subject) but only half a day for some other easier subjects. Does your school have a counselor or someone who can help make a schedule and stuff?

Hey guys, test is Friday. I just got 243 on UWSA2. I think concentration was a big problem for me because I got 88% on the first block and it was down to 67% on the last.

Anyway, how does UWSA compare these days to the real? I saw the meddit post about it correlating the best these days. Is it still over predicting by 20points? My goal is 240-245.

I got a 249 (2 wks out) on USAW2 and a 246 on the real deal. So, pretty predictive? Definitely not over-predicting by 20 pts.

UWSA 2 overpredicted by 1 point for me. UWSA 1 was the only one that wasn't within 10 points of my score - overpredicted by 12.

I'm ~4 months out, and I just finished UWorld with 83.4% cumulative average (all timed; mix of subjects and random).
Do you think I'm on track for a 260+ at this rate?

Reactions: 3 users
I'm ~4 months out, and I just finished UWorld with 83.4% cumulative average (all timed; mix of subjects and random).

I ended up with a 262 on the real deal, and that's way better than what my percentage would have been 4 months out. However, did you do the blocks random and timed? Doing the blocks by subject or in tutor mode falsely inflates your score and can create bad habits.

NBMEs! Memorize them.

Who hasn't started Uworld yet?
Is it feasible to go through uworld twice and all the NBMEs from Mid-March until Mid-June ... give or take 3 months?
Have about 8 weeks dedicated (with a few OPP and biostats public health classes left in those 8 weeks that are only once a week).

Kaplan is complete and USMLE -rx has 500 questions left with which I'll be done by end of february by.

any advice or opinion is appreciated.

4 months is a long time - could go either way imo, depending on how things go. My money's on anything over 250. I like safe bets. Try to mine for low yield stuff since you probably have high yield under your belt.

Who hasn't started Uworld yet?
Is it feasible to go through uworld twice and all the NBMEs from Mid-March until Mid-June ... give or take 3 months?
Have about 8 weeks dedicated (with a few OPP and biostats public health classes left in those 8 weeks that are only once a week).

Kaplan is complete and USMLE -rx has 500 questions left with which I'll be done by end of february by.

any advice or opinion is appreciated.

Took me 6 weeks for UW. It's way more information dense than Kaplan and most definitely Rx. An NBME would take me almost the entire day on some of the older ones - there's a lot of conflicting answer explanations online and sometimes the consensus is wrong. Once through UW and the NBMEs is doable, twice might be a stretch depending on how much time you're willing to invest. Better be thorough the first time in case you run short imo. Also you may find yourself remembering the questions the second time round, more-so if you don't space them out. I went through my UW incorrects about 6 weeks after my 1st pass and remembered about half of them, which makes the second pass redundant imo.

Reactions: 1 users

TLDR Is UFAP + Sketchy + Boards and Beyond enough for an average student to get above a 230 and possible match into Anesthesia or EM with a few red flags in preclinicals?

I think thats a great combo. IDK anything about DIT but maybe they are a little more comprehensive than B&B but I love B&B and I feel like Dr. Ryan covers everything pretty well.

Nope. I'm a lot worse at straight recall than most of my classmates and definitely have a lot less of FA explicitly memorized. I used Qbanks + Boards and Beyond + FA (and then some review papers when I found topics interesting. I don't like Pathoma or anki, so I'm only doing the first 3 chapters of pathoma), but I was getting in the top 25% on class NBME tests, have an ~85% UWorld and 250 on my first Step practice. The thing is that you don't need to memorize every detail. You need to understand why and then details fall into place. So it's not how much you memorize UFAP that makes the score, it's how you use the knowledge

I feel like this is true for a certain percentage of questions. And then there are others where you absolutely have to know some relatively esoteric fact. Uworld is really good at making you do both in every question...seems to be like NBMEs test one or the other in a given question. Who knows what the breakdown of understanding:fact based questions on the real deal is...Just my opinion tho

Yeah I complete agree. Just freaked me out for a minute until I realized that well everyone understands those resources to a different extent

Nope. I'm a lot worse at straight recall than most of my classmates and definitely have a lot less of FA explicitly memorized. I used Qbanks + Boards and Beyond + FA (and then some review papers when I found topics interesting. I don't like Pathoma or anki, so I'm only doing the first 3 chapters of pathoma), but I was getting in the top 25% on class NBME tests, have an ~85% UWorld and 250 on my first Step practice. The thing is that you don't need to memorize every detail. You need to understand why and then details fall into place. So it's not how much you memorize UFAP that makes the score, it's how you use the knowledge

Hmm we dont take NBMEs at my school but for the most part I was doing just class lectures until this year. Added sketchy during IandI and probably was in the top 25% for that block. However, been using pathoma and Boards for organ systems and definitely dropped to 50th percentile for most exams. I'd like to think thats due to our professors not asking questions relevant to boards but who knows. When I skim firstaid I think the understanding I had of material during class comes back but when i do practice questions it usually seems that most questions are just asking for facts not understanding. Sure they arent first order questions but its more of having to remember how 2-3 facts connect than understanding the underlying mechanism.

If one was taking a CBSE, would this still apply? Are difficulty levels the same pretty much?

I'm referring to the Comprehensive Basic Science Self Assessments (CBSSA) Forms. Take all of these and memorize them. I would not do the same for the CBSE, or take these exams unless your school requires it.

Last edited:
Yeah I complete agree. Just freaked me out for a minute until I realized that well everyone understands those resources to a different extent

Hmm we dont take NBMEs at my school but for the most part I was doing just class lectures until this year. Added sketchy during IandI and probably was in the top 25% for that block. However, been using pathoma and Boards for organ systems and definitely dropped to 50th percentile for most exams. I'd like to think thats due to our professors not asking questions relevant to boards but who knows. When I skim firstaid I think the understanding I had of material during class comes back but when i do practice questions it usually seems that most questions are just asking for facts not understanding. Sure they arent first order questions but its more of having to remember how 2-3 facts connect than understanding the underlying mechanism.

Pathology is the most broad and probably important subject for step one, yet pathoma is a whimpy little review book (compare to goljan which is easily 10x more content). Its nowhere near comprehensive and that's probably why you dropped lower when using it (assuming it was a primary resource). Pathoma is like a first aid version of pathology. Few people would suggest using only first aid to study for classes/med school...and honestly the same should apply to pathoma. My opinion anyways.

Goal: 260+
Score: 265
Studying time: About 14 months

I've written a step by step guide for IMGs; take a look if you are preparing for Step 1.
amazing experience :) totally motivating and inspiring..btw, in your PDF, you have mentioned that you used conrad fischer ethics cases but there is not a mention about any other resources for behavioural science..did u use just FA and QBANKS for behavioural science? or did u use another resource for them and u accidentally failed to write it in the PDF? :) thanks for the reply..it will be of great help if u could mention about your resources for behavioural science and when to add RX qbank in the schedule u have written :)

amazing experience :) totally motivating and inspiring..btw, in your PDF, you have mentioned that you used conrad fischer ethics cases but there is not a mention about any other resources for behavioural science..did u use just FA and QBANKS for behavioural science? or did u use another resource for them and u accidentally failed to write it in the PDF? :) thanks for the reply..it will be of great help if u could mention about your resources for behavioural science and when to add RX qbank in the schedule u have written :)
Thank you for the kind comments.
No I just did Conrad Fischer's 100 cases and it was enough for the ethics questions; the book gives you some general rules so that you can even answer questions that are totally new.
I suggest doing the second Qbank (either Rx or any other banks) once you are done with UW (either two or three passes).

No I just did Conrad Fischer's 100 cases and it was enough for the ethics questions; the book gives you some general rules so that you can even answer questions that are totally new.
I suggest doing the second Qbank (either Rx or any other banks) once you are done with UW (either two or three passes).
awesome :) thank u so much bro :) in your pdf you have mentioned in step 15 that the duration is 15 days and you did kaplan q bank..how many questions did u do in a day for you to complete kaplan q bank in 15 days? did u do kaplan q bank random or subject wise? another question in the last step 18 you mention that we have to go over the notes..what does this refer to? the notes we make from qbank or notes from resources like Kaplan lecture notes/pathoma, etc ?sorry for bombarding you with questions ur PDF is an eye opener to IMG's like me :)

awesome :) thank u so much bro :) in your pdf you have mentioned in step 15 that the duration is 15 days and you did kaplan q bank..how many questions did u do in a day for you to complete kaplan q bank in 15 days? did u do kaplan q bank random or subject wise? another question in the last step 18 you mention that we have to go over the notes..what does this refer to? the notes we make from qbank or notes from resources like Kaplan lecture notes/pathoma, etc ?sorry for bombarding you with questions ur PDF is an eye opener to IMG's like me :)
Simulate the exam by doing 7 blocks of 40 questions each, in 8 hours, it will take about 7-8 days. And review the questions on the same day plus the day after each test.
Take notes while doing UW and review them at least two times before the exam.

July 16 2017 NBME 13: 219.
Nov 22 2017 NBME 15: 228.
Dec 27 2017 NBME 16: 232.
Jan 15 2018 NBME 17: 230.
Jan 19 2018 NBME 18: 225.

UWSA 1 245, UWSA 2 243. Both in January 2018.
UWorld 71 % first pass.

Free 120: 80 % (january 2018).

1,5 weeks dedicated.

Jan 25 2018 Step 1: 251.

Reactions: 5 users
Simulate the exam by doing 7 blocks of 40 questions each, in 8 hours, it will take about 7-8 days. And review the questions on the same day plus the day after each test.
Take notes while doing UW and review them at least two times before the exam.
wow superb :) thanks a lot..did u annotate ur uworld notes in FA or you wrote the UWORLD notes separately in a book? thanks once again..wishing u all success :) god bless :)

congrats on score, what did you think of those Kaplan behavioral questions, where they representative of the real exam?

UWorld 71 % first pass.

1,5 weeks dedicated.

Amazing, congrats on crushing your predictors! Did it feel like you did as well as you did coming out of it?

UWorld 71 % first pass.

1,5 weeks dedicated.

Wow, great experience! How did you feel after the exam?
Was your dedicated 1.5 weeks or 15?

Amazing, congrats on crushing your predictors! Did it feel like you did as well as you did coming out of it? .

Wow, great experience! How did you feel after the exam?
Was your dedicated 1.5 weeks or 15?.

Thanks.

Dedicated was 1.5 weeks.
I had a great feeling after the exam, and a great feeling during the exam.
The first block was really difficult and I marked around 15-20 questions. In the following 6 blocks I marked around 5 questions (and guessed on 1-2 questions).
Time was not an issue. I had time to recheck all questions, had time to check marked questions multiple times, and had extra time for time consuming difficult physiology and stats questions.

Thanks.
Dedicated was 1.5 weeks.
I had a great feeling after the exam, and a great feeling during the exam.
The first block was really difficult and I marked around 15-20 questions. In the following 6 blocks I marked around 5 questions (and guessed on 1-2 questions).
Time was not an issue. I had time to recheck all questions, had time to check marked questions multiple times, and had extra time for time consuming difficult physiology and stats questions.

How was the difficulty and style compared to uworld/nbme's

How was the difficulty and style compared to uworld/nbme's..

The most striking difference is the style of the questions. The easy questions look very much like easy NBME questions, i.e. easy recall. However the hard questions had much more emphasis of understanding and of mechanisms rather than recalling obscure facts as in hard NBME questions. I believe that this played much more into my strengths.
Half of the questions reminded me of NBME questions and half of nothing I have seen during my preparations.

The most striking difference is the style of the questions. The easy questions look very much like easy NBME questions, i.e. easy recall. However the hard questions had much more emphasis of understanding and of mechanisms rather than recalling obscure facts as in hard NBME questions. I believe that this played much more into my strengths.
Half of the questions reminded me of NBME questions and half of nothing I have seen during my preparations.
What resource do you feel prepared you best for the exam? Might I ask what you did during your final 10 days?

What resource do you feel prepared you best for the exam? Might I ask what you did during your final 10 days?..

The resources that prepared me best were the anki decks from
Brosencephalon and "aervien + tracymcgrady 1991 step 1 pharm".
I started using them for my regular classes 1.5 years before the exam and committed fully 6 months before the exam.
I also had great use of Goljan audio, listening while walking the dogs.
In my last 10 days i studied 16 hours a day, concentrating on my weak areas (anatomy, histology, biochemistry).

I nerver read First Aid from cover to cover and I didn't do all of Pathoma.

The resources that prepared me best were the anki decks from. Brosencephalon and "aervien + tracymcgrady 1991 step 1 pharm".
I started using them for my regular classes 1.5 years before the exam and committed fully 6 months before the exam.
I also had great use of Goljan audio, listening while walking the dogs.
In my last 10 days i studied 16 hours a day, concentrating on my weak areas (anatomy, histology, biochemistry).

I nerver read First Aid from cover to cover and I didn't do all of Pathoma..
Did you finish all of bros and that pharm deck before your first NBME score of 219?

Did you finish all of bros and that pharm deck before your first NBME score of 219? ..

No. That was basically when I started getting serious with Anki. At the end (around december) I repeated around 400-500 cards each day.

I have a hard time taking practice test serious though and usually did the NBMEs in half the allotted time.
I was pretty sure that I would do better on the real deal. I allways sharpen on real tests.

Last edited:
No. That was basically when I started getting serious with Anki. At the end (around december) I repeated around 400-500 cards each day.

I have a hard time taking practice test serious though and usually did the NBMEs in half the allotted time.
I was pretty sure that I would do better on the real deal. I allways sharpen on real tests.
So like you said in your above post, bros was the main reason your practice scores started rising and you ended up doing well on the real thing? What do you think was responsible for your baseline score? Thanks

So like you said in your above post, bros was the main reason your practice scores started rising and you ended up doing well on the real thing? What do you think was responsible for your baseline score? Thanks ..

I think my baseline score was mainly based on studying hard in med school.

CBSE at end of semester: 180 equivalent
2 weeks into dedicated: NBME 17 209
3 weeks into dedicated: NBME 16 230
4.5 Weeks into dedicated: NBME 18 244
Actual Exam Score: 251

6 weeks and a couple of days of dedicated. I used Cram fighter to help me plan my schedule. FA, Pathoma and Sketchy Micro/Pharm for first 3 weeks, plus 40q's/day of Uworld.
2 weeks of 120q's/day of UWorld.
1 Week of FA and how ever many Uworld 40 blocks I could do. Rapid Review the day before exam. U world 79% correct cumulative, trending up toward the end at about 85% average in the last week.

Advice: You will feel like **** as you study, so don't overdo it if you are having a crappy day. Take a break and hit it hard tomorrow. When you take the exam, you will probably feel poorly afterward. Don't look up questions missed and have a beer. You earned it.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users