USMLE Official 2018 Step 1 Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foot Fetish

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've always wanted to start one of these...So here we go! :)

My stats:

M2
Test time: June 2018
Goal score: 270

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, thanks for the advice. It definitely paid off for a few questions.

If I took my exam sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, does that mean I get my score in 4 Wednesdays? Also is it normal to have absolutely no idea how it went? I remember questions and have counted about 5-10 mistakes (2-3 that were really dumb) but the rest of the exam seems like a blur and I can barely remember ~20 or so questions.

10000% normal to have no idea how it went. I left confident that I passed but not knowing if I got 200 or 240, it seems to be the case for most people.

Hey guys, thanks for the advice. It definitely paid off for a few questions.

If I took my exam sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, does that mean I get my score in 4 Wednesdays? Also is it normal to have absolutely no idea how it went? I remember questions and have counted about 5-10 mistakes (2-3 that were really dumb) but the rest of the exam seems like a blur and I can barely remember ~20 or so questions.
Yes we are all poor predictors of our ability

UW%: 85.6% (timed, random)

UWSA1: 271
UWSA2: 262

NBME 17: 269
NBME 18: 263
NBME 19: 257

Free120: 92.5%

REAL DEAL: 266

(June 11th test date)

Overall the test is just like the NBMEs and NOT like uworld like most people say. About 10-15% of uworld questions are poor questions in that you can know what's going on super well but they trick you. On the real exam they NEVER try and trick you. The real thing was most like the free120, very fair exam.
Question. When did you start Uworld and did you do 40 question blocks random timed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Took the real one on 30/10 Tuesday. Made a lot of stupid mistakes that never happened in practice. Felt really bad. And now just hope can get a score may be close to my nbmes! Who knows when should I expect to get the score? Thanks in advance!

Agreed. As I have said a 100 times before, cognitive element of med school is so overblown. I am scoring 90th percentile + on 3rd year shelf exams rn and all I do differently is mindlessly memorize uworld facts, firecracker, and zanki. I don't even read anymore and it works out just fine. I did way worse reading first couple of years and trying to develop some sort of magical intuitive capacity. Now I iust study like a robot.
So you don't even read or watch videos for background info? Like you brute force flashcards/uworld/firecracker even as a first pass or something? That's amazing. My dream score is like a 240 and I'm scared if I finish zanki plus RX plus uworld once or twice i may be not "understanding" or something and get below a 230

So you don't even read or watch videos for background info? Like you brute force flashcards/uworld/firecracker even as a first pass or something? That's amazing. My dream score is like a 240 and I'm scared if I finish zanki plus RX plus uworld once or twice i may be not "understanding" or something and get below a 230

So it would be disingenous of me to say that I do not at least listen to goljan and **** pestana in the car. I do that much. But I do not read review books or listen to stuff like OME like I would in the past.

Reactions: 1 user
Step 1 and all my comats (do version of shelf) = almost all memorization and differentiating two closely related things.

The only intuition in MCQ in med school is physiology and some biostats (the questions where you have to pick out what a graph is most likely trying to say)

It’s all memorization basically. Most people get questions wrong because they forgot something

Reactions: 2 users
Step 1 and all my comats (do version of shelf) = almost all memorization and differentiating two closely related things.

The only intuition in MCQ in med school is physiology and some biostats (the questions where you have to pick out what a graph is most likely trying to say)

It’s all memorization basically. Most people get questions wrong because they forgot something
Good to hear, I'm always worried step 1 will be some X factor/critical thinking that separates the 220/230s from the 240s. I understand past like 260 there must be a few either good guessing questions or super 5th order/extrapolating questions or a test that caters heavily to your strengths. So you think if I knew zanki pretty well and uworld, I could get a 240 with mostly memorization? Hoping either rx or kaplan can fill any other holes and get me used to vignette style questions since my school doesn't do nbme style. For some reason in my mind 240 sounds ridiculously high even though people here regularly get 250-260+.

So it would be disingenous of me to say that I do not at least listen to goljan and **** pestana in the car. I do that much. But I do not read review books or listen to stuff like OME like I would in the past.
Sweet that's how I do the path sections of zanki too.

240 sure probably. The old tried and true method is to do 5-6 NBME and use the correlation chart in the review of them to see what you may score. Most people get between 1-10 points higher on real deal than NBME average.

Source-NBMEs score review sheet

@Foot Fetish Digging up your posts in this forum, as I am trying to mimic your study habits for Step 1.

I am a current OMS1, a few months in, but am transitioning to just BnB + Zanki. I am a couple organ systems ahead of class right now, and am trying to get through all of Zanki + Pharm and Lolnotacop before January M2.

I as well am hoping to get through all USMLERx, Kaplan, and UWORLD before dedicated.

Would you plan on starting USMLERx right now, or wait to do all 3 qbanks starting M2 year? My current plan was to try and get through all systems physio and Path by beginning of M2, and start cranking out practice questions in the 3 qbanks then, while starting my 1st pass of sketchy micro and pharm then.

If you were to do it all again (other than starting from Day 1 of MS1) what would you do the same or do differently in your preparations for STEP1?

@Foot Fetish Digging up your posts in this forum, as I am trying to mimic your study habits for Step 1.

I am a current OMS1, a few months in, but am transitioning to just BnB + Zanki. I am a couple organ systems ahead of class right now, and am trying to get through all of Zanki + Pharm and Lolnotacop before January M2.

I as well am hoping to get through all USMLERx, Kaplan, and UWORLD before dedicated.

Would you plan on starting USMLERx right now, or wait to do all 3 qbanks starting M2 year? My current plan was to try and get through all systems physio and Path by beginning of M2, and start cranking out practice questions in the 3 qbanks then, while starting my 1st pass of sketchy micro and pharm then.

If you were to do it all again (other than starting from Day 1 of MS1) what would you do the same or do differently in your preparations for STEP1?

I know I’m not Foot Fetish, I’m just one of the people whose Step 1 score pushed him to the edge of a tantrum. I respect his dedication, but if you look at what this study obsession turned him into mentally you’ll see it’s not worth it to hang your identity and self-esteem on scoring in the top 8% of a standardized test. I recognize you’re well-intentioned and you want to work hard and be ahead of the game, and that’s okay, but you should realize that other things are also very important. The idea that “if I only started earlier, I would have scored so much higher” might be true of those who start 3 months before Step 1, but if you’re on top of learning in M2 year and you’re proactive during that time you are on track and ahead of the curve.

To your question:

Really, doing those banks before pathology and pharmacology is not going to make much sense. I know you want to start early but you’re probably just spinning your wheels and setting yourself up for frustration. They’re a tool and just like any tool there’s a right time and place to use them. Two banks is enough for this test anyway, you’ll be more than prepared with just Rx or Kaplan during M2 coupled with UWorld a few months before dedicated. This is as much about efficiency as it is about brute force effort.

Focus on M1 material and relax, second year is more than enough time. Casual Anki may be okay, if it works for you and you like learning bits and pieces. But really you need to focus now on your first year and soon start looking for summer research opportunities if you’re gunning for the competitive specialties.

I hope this helps you, and please remember that this is only one component of your application and to be successful as a human being and medical student you need to have three dimensions, not just one. Live your life and enjoy what you’re doing.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for the thoughtful and detailed response! I do agree with you that there’s a lot more than this 1 test, and I should probably take a chill pill. It’s hard for me to describe my motivation and reasoning for wanting to try and get ahead and be as prepared as possible because it goes well beyond just trying to land a top specialty (I don’t have much desire for surgical subspecialties or fern). I appreciate your advice a lot though, thank you so much

I know I’m not Foot Fetish, I’m just one of the people whose Step 1 score pushed him to the edge of a tantrum. I respect his dedication, but if you look at what this study obsession turned him into mentally you’ll see it’s not worth it to hang your identity and self-esteem on scoring in the top 8% of a standardized test. I recognize you’re well-intentioned and you want to work hard and be ahead of the game, and that’s okay, but you should realize that other things are also very important. The idea that “if I only started earlier, I would have scored so much higher” might be true of those who start 3 months before Step 1, but if you’re on top of learning in M2 year and you’re proactive during that time you are on track and ahead of the curve.

To your question:

Really, doing those banks before pathology and pharmacology is not going to make much sense. I know you want to start early but you’re probably just spinning your wheels and setting yourself up for frustration. They’re a tool and just like any tool there’s a right time and place to use them. Two banks is enough for this test anyway, you’ll be more than prepared with just Rx or Kaplan during M2 coupled with UWorld a few months before dedicated. This is as much about efficiency as it is about brute force effort.

Focus on M1 material and relax, second year is more than enough time. Casual Anki may be okay, if it works for you and you like learning bits and pieces. But really you need to focus now on your first year and soon start looking for summer research opportunities if you’re gunning for the competitive specialties.

I hope this helps you, and please remember that this is only one component of your application and to be successful as a human being and medical student you need to have three dimensions, not just one. Live your life and enjoy what you’re doing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1 date: near the end of October
Goal: 240

NBME 15 (8 weeks out): 223
NBME 16 (6 weeks out): 223
Actual: 239 (close enough!)

I got through most of First Aid 1x, Pathoma 2x, maybe 200 UWorld questions, and Boards and Beyond videos for GI/cards/neuro/psych/micro/biochem/pharm. I’m definitely an anomaly, and I understand that. The reason I’m posting this, however, is to let others know that there is no foolproof way to do well on this exam. If your gut tells you that you need to spend every waking moment doing flash cards made by someone else, feel free. Maybe you need to do UWorld to completion and multiple times, also feel free. I thought that was a load of crap, honestly. I did it my own way, focused on my weaknesses, and learned as I went. Don’t stress about what everyone else is doing. You know yourself better than you realize!

N = 1

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1 date: near the end of October
Goal: 240

NBME 15 (8 weeks out): 223
NBME 16 (6 weeks out): 223
Actual: 239 (close enough!)

I got through most of First Aid 1x, Pathoma 2x, maybe 200 UWorld questions, and Boards and Beyond videos for GI/cards/neuro/psych/micro/biochem/pharm. I’m definitely an anomaly, and I understand that. The reason I’m posting this, however, is to let others know that there is no foolproof way to do well on this exam. If your gut tells you that you need to spend every waking moment doing flash cards made by someone else, feel free. Maybe you need to do UWorld to completion and multiple times, also feel free. I thought that was a load of crap, honestly. I did it my own way, focused on my weaknesses, and learned as I went. Don’t stress about what everyone else is doing. You know yourself better than you realize!

N = 1

Congrats!! Great work, I’m glad it worked out!

Can anyone provide guidance on how to interpret the NBME CBSE if it is taken very far out from Step 1? I am about 4 months from test day and took it last week. We have 2 organ system blocks left to learn before dedicated starts. If I am aiming for a 240+, where should I be scoring at this point?

Can anyone provide guidance on how to interpret the NBME CBSE if it is taken very far out from Step 1? I am about 4 months from test day and took it last week. We have 2 organ system blocks left to learn before dedicated starts. If I am aiming for a 240+, where should I be scoring at this point?

Honestly, it’s a crap shoot. You’re so far from the test, you’ve done minimal prep, and you haven’t even covered a chunk of material. Having a passing score at this point would be an achievement IMO.

The best predictors are the NBME practices and the two UWorld self assessments, and you should probably use those during dedicated to see how you’re progressing. Take one at the start and one every week until the test as a gauge for progress (not score prediction) and adjust accordingly. Take with a grain of salt as these are not precise measurements, just a personal barometer for progress/study efficacy.

I posted my own method above somewhere, and I’m happy to help out developing a strategy if you want!

Honestly, it’s a crap shoot. You’re so far from the test, you’ve done minimal prep, and you haven’t even covered a chunk of material. Having a passing score at this point would be an achievement IMO.

The best predictors are the NBME practices and the two UWorld self assessments, and you should probably use those during dedicated to see how you’re progressing. Take one at the start and one every week until the test as a gauge for progress (not score prediction) and adjust accordingly. Take with a grain of salt as these are not precise measurements, just a personal barometer for progress/study efficacy.

I posted my own method above somewhere, and I’m happy to help out developing a strategy if you want!

Thank you so much! I may take you up on that in the future.

I did not pass, but did not do as poorly as I was expecting (60 which converts to a 175). Obviously would have liked to do better, but felt ok with it as a starting point given the amount of time I have/not having seen some of the material. We take it again just before starting dedicated, so I suppose the degree of score improvement will be a good self-assessment.

Hi all, I am a longtime lurker and have finally decided to post. I'm really anxious about my Step 1 score- I just took the exam last week. My practice test scores where high and I felt decent after the test, but now I've counted 25+ questions that I may (most likely) have missed, plus more that I'm not sure of still. Now I'm starting to feel like I blew it. Could someone predict me? I'd appreciate it so much.

UWorld first pass (timed random before reading FA): 76%
NBME 16 (3 weeks out): 257
NBME 19 (2.5 weeks out): 257
UWSA 1 (2 weeks out): 270
NBME 18 (1.5 weeks out): 261
NBME 17 (1.5 weeks out): 263
Free 120 (1 week out): 91%
UWSA 2 (1 week out on same day as free 120): 266

I know that I'm being neurotic, it's just that this wait is killing me :(

Last edited:
Hi all, I am a longtime lurker and have finally decided to post. I'm really anxious about my Step 1 score- I just took the exam last week. My practice test scores where high and I felt decent after the test, but now I've counted 25+ questions that I may (most likely) have missed, plus more that I'm not sure of still. Now I'm starting to feel like I blew it. Could someone predict me? I'd appreciate it so much.

This feeling happens to almost everyone — you don’t need us to predict you. You need to take a breath, look at your practice test numbers, and trust your prep.

Nobody gets 100% on this test, and based on past performance you likely crushed it!

Reactions: 3 users

This is SDN.

Reactions: 8 users

264 is my guess. Had the exact same feeling with similar prep scores and that's what I ended up with. I still have over 30+ questions I was unsure of and 20 I missed 100 percent sure. Try to relax but it's possible to make tons and tons of dumb mistakes and still do awesome.

With such practice scores, you should be getting a solid 265+. If I were to put up a number, I'd say 267.
All the very best. Keep us posted on your score (who knows, a couple good estimated guesses and you might have broken the 270 wall!)

Hey there what’s the update?!

Prob mid to high 260s if no test anxiety. Chance of 270

People seem to get 5-10 higher than nbme. This is also stated on the after test report we get

260! Thank you all for your support. That's pretty much spot on what the NBMEs predicted for me. Definitely happy with it!

Reactions: 5 users
260! Thank you all for your support. That's pretty much spot on what the NBMEs predicted for me. Definitely happy with it!
That’s awesome congrats! Mind doing a write up on how you prepared (resources used, dedicated schedule, etc.)? It’d be helpful to see what you made you successful. Thanks!

Finally I'm writing this up! My final score was a 260 which was exactly what my NBME average was. UWSA over predicted slightly (see my scores in my prior post). I took all practice exams within three weeks from the exam.

At my school, we have one year preclinical followed by clinical year and then Step 1. During M1 year, I annotated FA (but didn't try to memorize it all) with each unit. I watched Sketchy Micro during our microbiology unit but didn't do Sketchy Path or Pharm. I watched Pathoma during each unit. I also listened to Goljan audio while driving for the past year. I didn't do any QBanks during M1 year. During the M1-M2 summer, I read through the parts of FA that we didn't cover in class. No other studying. For M2 clinical year, I just studied for shelf exams and ignored Step 1 material.

I took exactly 6 weeks of dedicated time for Step 1. I did about 100-120 UWorld questions every day for three weeks while reading every word of the explanations, but taking no notes or flashcards. Then I took one week to read through FA. For my last two weeks I did all of USMLERx questions but did not read the explanations. Didn't try Kaplan.

On test day, I felt like the questions were most similar to the Free 120 in both style, format, and difficulty. Some blocks felt downright easy and some where more difficult. I did two blocks, then a break, two blocks, break, two blocks, break, and then the last block. I left the testing center feeling good but then over the next few days I started counting mistakes. By the time scores came out I counted over 25 potential mistakes. On the morning that I got my score, I was super super nervous and was absolutely thrilled when I saw the number!

I hope this is helpful! HMU anytime with questions

Reactions: 5 users
Finally I'm writing this up! My final score was a 260 which was exactly what my NBME average was. UWSA over predicted slightly (see my scores in my prior post). I took all practice exams within three weeks from the exam.

At my school, we have one year preclinical followed by clinical year and then Step 1. During M1 year, I annotated FA (but didn't try to memorize it all) with each unit. I watched Sketchy Micro during our microbiology unit but didn't do Sketchy Path or Pharm. I watched Pathoma during each unit. I also listened to Goljan audio while driving for the past year. I didn't do any QBanks during M1 year. During the M1-M2 summer, I read through the parts of FA that we didn't cover in class. No other studying. For M2 clinical year, I just studied for shelf exams and ignored Step 1 material.

I took exactly 6 weeks of dedicated time for Step 1. I did about 100-120 UWorld questions every day for three weeks while reading every word of the explanations, but taking no notes or flashcards. Then I took one week to read through FA. For my last two weeks I did all of USMLERx questions but did not read the explanations. Didn't try Kaplan.

On test day, I felt like the questions were most similar to the Free 120 in both style, format, and difficulty. Some blocks felt downright easy and some where more difficult. I did two blocks, then a break, two blocks, break, two blocks, break, and then the last block. I left the testing center feeling good but then over the next few days I started counting mistakes. By the time scores came out I counted over 25 potential mistakes. On the morning that I got my score, I was super super nervous and was absolutely thrilled when I saw the number!

Pretty standard aside from the fact that you had a clinical year before step 1 which seems like the future of medical education. Congrats!

Just curious, what were your uworld and rx percents?

Not sure what the (going fast though) means, since those are very good scores

I went through UWorld at a normal pace but Rx very fast. I tried to train my mind to think quickly with pattern recognition, so I would try not to spend more than 10 seconds per question on Rx.

Did you do any flashcards?

@cookiegrub No I did not use any flashcards. I only did UWorld once (during dedicated) and then redid my incorrects. Usually Uworld questions start to repeat themselves after a while, so I didn't use any spaced repetition type of learning resource.

In preclinical I was in the top 10-15%, but that was all based on in-house exams.

I'm currently about to start my second year of med school. I'm using Christmas vacation time to start prepping for the Step. I'm using:
-First Aid
-Pathoma
-Kaplan Qbank
-Boards & Beyond
(Saving UWorld for later and planning to take the Wolffpac Review).

My concern is... how do I BEGIN studying. I've watched videos and read through my notes I've jotted down on my FA during the semester. I just don't have a structure to follow on how to study appropriately. Any opinion would be much appreciated.

I'm currently about to start my second year of med school. I'm using Christmas vacation time to start prepping for the Step. I'm using:
-First Aid
-Pathoma
-Kaplan Qbank
-Boards & Beyond
(Saving UWorld for later and planning to take the Wolffpac Review).

My concern is... how do I BEGIN studying. I've watched videos and read through my notes I've jotted down on my FA during the semester. I just don't have a structure to follow on how to study appropriately. Any opinion would be much appreciated.

Learn the class material as it comes and study with board resources like Kaplan and B&B. Read and understand the First Aid along with it. Save UWorld for later on because it’s very good and they’re hard questions.

Slow and steady definitely wins this race.

Just my opinion, one of many! Good luck!

Hello guys,
Non US IMG here from India.

Been going through the thread for a while now. Sat for my exam today, and damn, it was hard!

From easy throw aways to random stust totally unheard of, I have no idea how it went. Just hoping that the real deal turns out to be similar to my practice scores.

Good luck to all those who shall be appearing soon, and those who are waiting for their scores.

The beast was fought with, but was the battle won? That's yet to be decided.

Hello guys,
Non US IMG here from India.

Been going through the thread for a while now. Sat for my exam today, and damn, it was hard!

From easy throw aways to random stust totally unheard of, I have no idea how it went. Just hoping that the real deal turns out to be similar to my practice scores.

Good luck to all those who shall be appearing soon, and those who are waiting for their scores.

The beast was fought with, but was the battle won? That's yet to be decided.
I had pretty similar experience with my exam.
I'm gonna get my scores today ...
I'll be updating !!

Wow congrats!!! Would you mind doing a write up(Resources, length of prep, etc)? IMG here starting this journey so would really appreciate hearing your experience. Thank you!
Thanks man!!
Well main resources were uworld and first aid only apart from that i did use pathoma , its an excellent resource and a few topics from kaplans( biochemistry and immunology)
Being an img I didn't really have a strict time period as I started preparing during my internship around the month of April ...I used to study along with my internship untill the last 2 months before my exam when I took a break from internship ( can be considered as 8 weeks dedicated period) and finally gave my exam on 5th december.
I hope it helps!!

Thanks man!!
Well main resources were uworld and first aid only apart from that i did use pathoma , its an excellent resource and a few topics from kaplans( biochemistry and immunology)
Being an img I didn't really have a strict time period as I started preparing during my internship around the month of April ...I used to study along with my internship untill the last 2 months before my exam when I took a break from internship ( can be considered as 8 weeks dedicated period) and finally gave my exam on 5th december.
I hope it helps!!
Thank you! Yes it helps a lot! Did you use any other qbanks outside of uworld?