USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I really could use your advice guys, in some serious distress.

step 1: 236

start of dedicated to establish baseline, nbme 6: 190
finished uworld (3 weeks later), took uwsa1: 245
5 days later (today), nbme 8: 209

My exam is in 6 days. MD applying to EM, really wondering if I should push my exam back because if I fail I can kiss any chance of matching goodbye.

Really could use the help.
If you got 245 in UWSA then you'll be fine :) good luck :) do share your experience.

I'd really appreciate any advice on my plan.. found this to be the most reliable OME thread...

I was thinking of:.
OME videos + OME notes + quicktables (~$120) which I don't think is terrible.
I would of course complement this with UWorld and I've been making the UWorld flashcard tables/images as I've been going along.

I'm not really planning on using any other resources unless I need to - I have MTB and FA2 sitting on my shelf :(( But at this point I don't feel like I'm gonna have enough time plus I just feel OME + UWorld is enough..

Taking my exam on Aug 24. My dedicated starts Jul 27 so its about ~4 weeks. I'm planning on starting studying from now - I'm still on my Peds rotation and have got a couple weeks left..

My plan:.
2 hours of OME videos per day .
1 hour of Sketchy per day (Micro and Pharm - I think it'll be worth this it's only an hour a day and pics memories should come back quickly) .
Finish Uworld First pass.
I should done with all this by July 10.

July 10 to Aug 24 (~6weeks) - My goal is to finish a second round of UWorld, review UWorld flashcards and review QuickTables (review OME videos/notes, Sketchy pics if needed).
During the month of July, I'll be doing an ophtho (not the most useful) away elective so I'm not sure I'll have a lot of time to get a lot done.

Any advice/comments is greatly appreciated.

PS Step 1 was 250 - which I think was a fluke because I scored 219, 209, 240, 236 on the step 1 NBMEs.

New
Looks good to me. Btw FA Step 2 CK closely follows OME. So I don't think it would be to hard to do both of them but you have to ask yourself if it's worth your while. I'm doing it but due to a weak background and forgot a lot of my step 1 stuff.

Reactions: 1 user
New
Looks good to me. Btw FA Step 2 CK closely follows OME. So I don't think it would be to hard to do both of them but you have to ask yourself if it's worth your while. I'm doing it but due to a weak background and forgot a lot of my step 1 stuff.

Yeah - honestly not a bad call.. I might use some of its stuff but just worried that I won't have enough time. I def forgot a lot of step 1 so might try joining you with the FA step 2 strategy too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Done with step 2 ck 2 weeks ago. Felt alright after the exam not very good nor very bad but found out alot of silly mistakes later. Had only done uworld twice
Uworld first pass system wise: 74 percent
Uworld second pass random mode: 89 percent
Step 1: 250
Uwsa 1: 258. 1.5 months ago
Fred: 83 percent
Uwsa 2: 252. 15 days ago
Now feeling very bad and hoping i just could get over 240 and have chances still for residency.
Any one in same boat?

Done with step 2 ck 2 weeks ago. Felt alright after the exam not very good nor very bad but found out alot of silly mistakes later. Had only done uworld twice
Now feeling very bad and hoping i just could get over 240 and have chances still for residency.
Any one in same boat?
My scores thus far are very similar to yours, please let us know how you did on step 2 ck. When do you get your scores back?
Step 1: 254
uworld step 2 1st pass tutor mode per subject: 75%; 2nd pass random timed about 50% complete 88%. Have not taken the free assessments yet.

Edit: figured I would edit in case someone was in my shoes searching for a similar score. UWSA 1 (5days before) 261, UWSA 2 (3 days before) 258. Ended the second pass of UWorld with 89% random timed. Still awaiting actual score.

Last edited:
Any one in same boat?
Congrats on being done. Now the wait begins. With only a few weeks left before the time. How would you say I best maximize my time. Should I continue doing Uworld and maximize my retention from there? Get a book like MTB or FA2CK or use OME to best tackle this exam? Do you feel you should've done anything differently? Thanks again

My scores thus far are very similar to yours, please let us know how you did on step 2 ck. When do you get your scores back?
Step 1: 254
uworld step 2 1st pass tutor mode per subject: 75%; 2nd pass random timed about 50% complete 88%. Have not taken the free assessments yet.
I may get it next wednesday. Will update the score once it comes out.

Congrats on being done. Now the wait begins. With only a few weeks left before the time. How would you say I best maximize my time. Should I continue doing Uworld and maximize my retention from there? Get a book like MTB or FA2CK or use OME to best tackle this exam? Do you feel you should've done anything differently? Thanks again
So far i think stamina for 8 hours and doing more questions is the key. If i were you i would revise u world along with solving new questions from other sources.

Anyone have any advice on 4-5 week study plans? I have 3 weeks of dedicated before starting a rotation with intent on taking ck during it. Haven’t scheduled a specific date because I want to take my time but have until the end of August to take. Could use some insight.

FWIW..
Step 1: 218
Clinical grades: pass and high pass
Shelves: around mid 70s average
First pass UW, class-specific: 70%
Second pass UW random (just completed around 300Q): 75%

Not sure how to study so quickly. It takes me all day to do 100Q and review UWorld. How have people highlighted weak areas and done a second pass in 2-4 weeks?! Seems crazy

NBME 6 - 232 (1.5 month ago)
NBME 7 - 220 (16 days ago)
UWSA 2 - 245 (last block untimed) 5 days ago
NBME 8 - next week
uworld 1st pass: 67%
uworld 2nd time 65% complete: 79%

Desperately need to hit >245. Exam in 2 weeks, any help/advise greatly appreciated!
If you don't mind, what was your percentage correct on NBME 6?

W
NBME 6 - 232 (1.5 month ago)
NBME 7 - 220 (16 days ago)
UWSA 2 - 245 (last block untimed) 5 days ago
NBME 8 - next week
uworld 1st pass: 67%
uworld 2nd time 65% complete: 79%

Desperately need to hit >245. Exam in 2 weeks, any help/advise greatly appreciated!
May I ask what your percent correct for NBME 7 was?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! I'm one week into my dedicated study, I have the test scheduled in just under 2 weeks.
NBME 6- 260 (this past Thursday)
NBME 7-235 (today)

I took 7 early because I know people said it under predicts and I did not want to psych myself out too much. However, that seems like a rather large drop, and I want to make sure I have enough time scheduled. My goal was 255+. I know for Step 1 too people said NBME was very under-predictive, but I ended up getting my best NBME score. I searched some posts in here, but if anyone can share their experience with 7, I would appreciate it!

Hey everyone! I'm one week into my dedicated study, I have the test scheduled in just under 2 weeks.
NBME 7-235 (today)

I took 7 early because I know people said it under predicts and I did not want to psych myself out too much. However, that seems like a rather large drop, and I want to make sure I have enough time scheduled. My goal was 255+. I know for Step 1 too people said NBME was very under-predictive, but I ended up getting my best NBME score. I searched some posts in here, but if anyone can share their experience with 7, I would appreciate it!
what was the number of incorrect on each? I am about to take 7 and have already taken 6 and I am just Curious.

NBME 7-235 (today)

NBME 7 was brutal. I dropped 10 points on it (but can't tell you how it predicts to the real deal, as I don't have my score yet) and this was less than friends said they had dropped (15-20). NBME 6 and 8- 255. NBME 7 245 (taken 2nd).

NBME 7 was brutal. I dropped 10 points on it (but can't tell you how it predicts to the real deal, as I don't have my score yet) and this was less than friends said they had dropped (15-20). NBME 6 and 8- 255. NBME 7 245 (taken 2nd).

Yea, 25 is definitely a bigger drop than I thought but its possible that 6 was like at the top of my range. I also was just taking 7 at home and got kind of frustrated and wasn't really trying my best after a while. I guess I'll see how 8 goes

I really could use your advice guys, in some serious distress.

step 1: 236

start of dedicated to establish baseline, nbme 6: 190
finished uworld (3 weeks later), took uwsa1: 245
5 days later (today), nbme 8: 209

My exam is in 6 days. MD applying to EM, really wondering if I should push my exam back because if I fail I can kiss any chance of matching goodbye.

Really could use the help.
Follow up:

Today I took UWSA2 and got crushed. Scored a 218. Step 2 is on Thursday, could use some advice.

Two blocks I scored 68% on and the other two blocks I score 55% and 50% respectively. Uworld average first pass is 62%, but averaging close to 70% on the last 500 questions. So confused.

Last edited:
Follow up:

Today I took UWSA2 and got crushed. Scored a 218. Step 2 is on Thursday, could use some advice.
hmm when you went back through it did you not know the information or did you just not read the questions? i tanked on nbme 8 because i didnt read the entire question and i dropped over 20 pts.

hmm when you went back through it did you not know the information or did you just not read the questions? i tanked on nbme 8 because i didnt read the entire question and i dropped over 20 pts.
Read all the questions and tried my hardest to do well. I haven’t reviewed the questions yet, but from superficial observation it looks like a combination of lack of knowledge/stupid mistakes.

Is it even worth it to take NBME-7? For those who have taken it, did you end up learning anything from the questions? Is it worth the time? It seems to underpredict everyone's score by so much that if there isn't much to learn from the questions, maybe it isn't even worth taking?

Read all the questions and tried my hardest to do well. I haven’t reviewed the questions yet, but from superficial observation it looks like a combination of lack of knowledge/stupid mistakes.
If its lack on knowledge id push it back. but if its legit stupid mistakes like you read " rash " but didnt read on the palms of sole of a 4 years old kid and pick rheumatic fever instead of Kawaskis , thats fixable

I could use some advice! I know UWSAs are the best predictors and NBMEs underpredict, but I got ~220 on both NBME 7&8 last week and a 253 on UWSA 1 yesterday. I got the same # wrong on the UW test and NBME 7 (I think2 less than NBME8) , which is actually a slightly higher percentage wrong on UW since it has less questions. I got 82% on the free 120 on Saturday and have been averaging 80-85% on my second run through UW. My test is Friday and I’m honestly pretty confused about how my score will end up. I am hoping to at least mid 240s. I’m taking UWSA2 tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I could use some advice! I know UWSAs are the best predictors and NBMEs underpredict, but I got ~220 on both NBME 7&8 last week and a 253 on UWSA 1 yesterday. I got the same # wrong on the UW test and NBME 7 (I think2 less than NBME8) , which is actually a slightly higher percentage wrong on UW since it has less questions. I got 82% on the free 120 on Saturday and have been averaging 80-85% on my second run through UW. My test is Friday and I’m honestly pretty confused about how my score will end up. I am hoping to at least mid 240s. I’m taking UWSA2 tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you - similar scores and no idea as to where I'll end up. Good luck to the both of us I guess!

Last edited:
DO student applying AOA here.

I scored 243 on Step 1 and wanted to at least get a 243 but was hoping to get a 250+ on step 2.
I took UWSA1 two weeks ago and got a 240, UWSA2 yesterday and got a 243. NBME 8 today and got a 235.

My exam is scheduled for 6 days from today. I have to make the decision today if I should even take it or not. Right now I feel like I only have the potential to mess up my application rather than improve it.

Thoughts?

I scored 243 on Step 1 and wanted to at least get a 243 but was hoping to get a 250+ on step 2.
I took UWSA1 two weeks ago and got a 240, UWSA2 yesterday and got a 243. NBME 8 today and got a 235.

My exam is scheduled for 6 days from today. I have to make the decision today if I should even take it or not. Right now I feel like I only have the potential to mess up my application rather than improve it.

Thoughts?
if you are only applying AOA whats the point of taking step 2 ? should have saved you money fam.

Well it's AOA ortho so if I don't match I was gonna need a back up. Basically I was taking step 2 as a precaution
ah okay theres more to the story then. Depends bro. if you dont match ortho , whats you acgme back up if its anything like EM, GEN SURG, GAS , then ya for sure do it. If you are just going to pre lim and try again next year in ACGME ortho, id take ait . if your back up is internal or anything else not mentioned above then dont. In my opnion its like you already paid for step 2 might as well take it. If you are just doing AOA ortho it all comes down to auditions and letters. Ive seen people at my base hospital match with 500s on each.

Thoughts?
Take it. As long as you don't fall below 240's you should be gucci. Go over your weaknesses leading up to the exam and you will be fine.

IMG applying to radio
Step 1 = 241
UWSA 1 = 252
UWSA 2 = 258
Step 2CK in 2.5 weeks
Hoping I can achieve my goal of 250

Take it. As long as you don't fall below 240's you should be gucci. Go over your weaknesses leading up to the exam and you will be fine.
I cancelled. I saw no point unless I was gonna get a 250 and my scores made it a gamble.

I cancelled. I saw no point unless I was gonna get a 250 and my scores made it a gamble.

This is almost my exact position right now except I'm not planning on applying to anything really competitive. I would like to hit 250 and even though I'm sick of studying and so over med school I'll stick it out to at least give myself a bit of a buffer on practice test.

Long-time browser of this forum but never posted, and just got results back. Here it is:

Step 1: 239

NBMEs
NBME 6: 267 (4 weeks before)
NBME 7: 237 (2 weeks before)
NBME 8: 245 (2 days before)

UWSAs
UWSA 1: 259 (3 weeks before)
UWSA 2: 258 (5 days before)

Step 2 CK: 257

A little amusingly disappointed I didn't hit the glorious 260, but I can rest easy that I only missed it by a question or maybe two and my ulterior target was 250+ anyway

As you can see, UWSAs were eerily accurate whereas the $60 sh*tshows we call NBMEs were all over the place and a waste of time in my opinion. Literally only did UWorld, but did do it twice (1st pass during 3rd year 67%, 2nd pass 86%).

Post-exam, I'd say 85% of the exam was straight from UWorld. The others included questions that just required good clinical reasoning on things not presented in UW or just trivia from left-field that I doubt I would've been able to answer even by using other resources.

Overall, the exam felt JUST like the UWSAs in content, style, question-length and apparently (in my experience and what seems to be a lot of other people's experiences for CK) score prediction. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone whose UWSAs and NBMEs both overpredicted by 10-15 pts for Step 1. In other words, I was skeptical of UWSA and their predictive capabilities for CK, but not anymore...

Best of luck to all future test-takers!

Reactions: 7 users
Long-time browser of this forum but never posted, and just got results back. Here it is:

NBMEs

UWSAs

A little amusingly disappointed I didn't hit the glorious 260, but I can rest easy that I only missed it by a question or maybe two and my ulterior target was 250+ anyway

As you can see, UWSAs were eerily accurate whereas the $60 sh*tshows we call NBMEs were all over the place and a waste of time in my opinion. Literally only did UWorld, but did do it twice (1st pass during 3rd year 67%, 2nd pass 86%).

Post-exam, I'd say 85% of the exam was straight from UWorld. The others included questions that just required good clinical reasoning on things not presented in UW or just trivia from left-field that I doubt I would've been able to answer even by using other resources.

Overall, the exam felt JUST like the UWSAs in content, style, question-length and apparently (in my experience and what seems to be a lot of other people's experiences for CK) score prediction. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone whose UWSAs and NBMEs both overpredicted by 10-15 pts for Step 1. In other words, I was skeptical of UWSA and their predictive capabilities for CK, but not anymore...

Great job!!! Congrats on the score and being done! Did you do any CMS forms prior to the test? How was your timing? Thanks

My exam is next week.

So far:
NBME 6: 220 (4 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 249 (2 1/2 weeks out)
NBME 7 : 250 (2 weeks out)

Goal is 260. I don't know what to make of my UWSA 249 and NBME 7 250. My second pass of u world is floating around 83%.

Will take NBME 8 tomorrow or the next day, and UWSA2 2 days out. :\ :\

My exam is next week.

So far:
NBME 6: 220 (4 weeks out)
UWSA 1: 249 (2 1/2 weeks out)
NBME 7 : 250 (2 weeks out)

Goal is 260. I don't know what to make of my UWSA 249 and NBME 7 250. My second pass of u world is floating around 83%.

Will take NBME 8 tomorrow or the next day, and UWSA2 2 days out. :\ :\

Do you mind sharing how you improved 30 points from nbme6 to 7 in 2 weeks?

Great job!!! Congrats on the score and being done! Did you do any CMS forms prior to the test? How was your timing? Thanks

I did do the CMS forms during my respective clerkships but not during my Step 2 studying (exception being CMS ObGyn 4 which I did not get to during the clerkship).

Regarding timing, I was finishing UW on timed, random 2nd time through with 10-15 minutes left but on the real exam, I was within 3 minutes or even up to the last minute on the blocks. This was NOT because the questions were so long that I was running out of time, but rather because I tend to be more vigilant on the real exams, reading the vignettes carefully and thoroughly even when I clearly knew the answer.

I also tend to take time to decide on an answer to a question and then never return to that question since I've changed so many answers from right to wrong when I revisit. So, it's better for me to spend more time on questions my first time than doing them all relatively quickly and revisiting them later and thus risking changing my mind about them, if that makes sense.

I did do the CMS forms during my respective clerkships but not during my Step 2 studying (exception being CMS ObGyn 4 which I did not get to during the clerkship).

Regarding timing, I was finishing UW on timed, random 2nd time through with 10-15 minutes left but on the real exam, I was within 3 minutes or even up to the last minute on the blocks. This was NOT because the questions were so long that I was running out of time, but rather because I tend to be more vigilant on the real exams, reading the vignettes carefully and thoroughly even when I clearly knew the answer.

I also tend to take time to decide on an answer to a question and then never return to that question since I've changed so many answers from right to wrong when I revisit. So, it's better for me to spend more time on questions my first time than doing them all relatively quickly and revisiting them later and thus risking changing my mind about them, if that makes sense.

Thank you! Nice to hear long vignettes wasn't an issue!

NBMEs

UWSAs

Congratulations!! I've been seeing various reviews about how some people's test were not like Uworld at all and some whose test were very similar to Uworld. How would you best retain information from Uworld? Did you write things down or use a supplementary book at all? Thank you

Regarding UWSA2 . . .I feel that a good handful of questions, the topics are not even in Uworld . . .. or they are there . .. but really vague. Things like microscopic colitis, viral pleurisy . . .I can't find them even using the search function. Is it just me?

UWSA2 was the first assessment I did (probably not the best choice, it's a long story). It scared me in terms of how many topics were not what I thought were high yield and now I'm seriously questioning my readiness

Hey guys, took nbme 8 offline so don't really have a score correlation I was wondering what 25 incorrect would be around?

Tried to find it, but couldn't see any posts on the internet thanks.

UWSA2 was the first assessment I did (probably not the best choice, it's a long story). It scared me in terms of how many topics were not what I thought were high yield and now I'm seriously questioning my readiness
what ive learned after step 1 and comlex 1 is that there is a basic fundamental knowledge they expect you to have. after that you will have to use the process of elimination on terms that you've never heard of before or just don't fit the classic presentation. Its like the other ones dont make sense but you dont know this one . so what do most people do ? pick the one they are the most familiar with and get it wrong.

Reactions: 2 users
what ive learned after step 1 and comlex 1 is that there is a basic fundamental knowledge they expect you to have. after that you will have to use the process of elimination on terms that you've never heard of before or just don't fit the classic presentation. Its like the other ones dont make sense but you dont know this one . so what do most people do ? pick the one they are the most familiar with and get it wrong.

That's very true. I felt like I was doing that for UWSA2 more than usual and it freaked me out because I need/ want to write ck soon

That's very true. I felt like I was doing that for UWSA2 more than usual and it freaked me out because I need/ want to write ck soon
looking back, thats what sunk me to avg on the step 1 . i was doing well on nbmes and uwsa. then the beast won with intimidation and i caved to those traps. Comlex, on the other hand, i didnt care and was like well i know ill pass, and this test doesnt matter. I ended up scoring really well. Have faith in yourself. From what i see, people are doing well on step 2. usually with 10 points of their uworlds avg combined