USMLE Official 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Qester

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As 2018 approaches and people are starting to rev up for their CK studying I figured I would start the 2018 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread.

As always please follow all of the forum / NBME / USMLE etc.. rules and regulations when posting.

My dedicated starts tomorrow, have about 6 weeks to study over the holidays. Hoping for a 250 +, scored a 26x on step 1.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2018!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone, good luck! I'm glad to be joining this CK forum finally.

Random question, what do you guys think of the UW Step 2 CK percentiles? Compared to the Step 1 %correct for example, the percentiles seem to be pretty steep for CK. For example, 63% correct in OB-GYN puts me at the 34th percentile for that subject. HOLY CRAP, someone please explain? Are these percentiles inflated? Do they factor in 2nd and 3rd passes where people are getting like 85%+ correct? I probably just need to step up my game here, but of course I'd rather find a different explanation, lol. In general, it's "easier" to score higher, but I'm just confused about the percentiles. I know I should focus on learning from my mistakes and not the % at the moment, but I just can't help myself.

Random question, what do you guys think of the UW Step 2 CK percentiles? Compared to the Step 1 %correct for example, the percentiles seem to be pretty steep for CK. For example, 63% correct in OB-GYN puts me at the 34th percentile for that subject. HOLY CRAP, someone please explain? Are these percentiles inflated? Do they factor in 2nd and 3rd passes where people are getting like 85%+ correct? I probably just need to step up my game here, but of course I'd rather find a different explanation, lol. In general, it's "easier" to score higher, but I'm just confused about the percentiles. I know I should focus on learning from my mistakes and not the % at the moment, but I just can't help myself.

I definitely worry about my % correct. While I look at uWorld as a learning tool there is definitely a fairly strong correlation between % correct and your Step 2 CK score, so I personally track it to tell how I am doing.

That being said I do not look at the percentiles as I personally believe them to be crazily inflated, as far as I know they include second / third passes as well as people who may be doing questions non-random. So I personally look at overall % correct correlations.

Falling a bit behind on my studying (understatement) but my uWorld % correct is increasing steadily so at least I got that going for me... lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Falling a bit behind on my studying (understatement) but my uWorld % correct is increasing steadily so at least I got that going for me... lol

How's your % correct looking? I'm aiming for 240+ and I'm at a 69% average but i've only done 20 blocks of questions. I hope I'm ok :(

How's your % correct looking? I'm aiming for 240+ and I'm at a 69% average but i've only done 20 blocks of questions. I hope I'm ok :(

Currently at 76%, hoping to pull it up in the next few days, want a 250+, when is your test date?

I think FA for step2 does not get enough credit in SDN. IMO, it is as good as FA step1. I wish I knew that at the beginning of my 5 wks prep for CK. I think it's worth giving it a look for people who have 6+ wks dedicated study time.

Last edited:
Took form 7, mid to high 240's, 3 weeks away.

Hoping to be able to gain 10 points in 3 weeks

Reactions: 1 user
Just started looking at what review books to get. Does anyone know what the latest editions of step up to medicine and master the boards are? I think 4th edition is the latest for both but don't want to accidentally buy an outdated book.

Currently at 76%, hoping to pull it up in the next few days, want a 250+, when is your test date?

Feb.12th but I will reschedule, I need to beat my 233 step 1 score. I just bought the 3 available NBME practice exams at once a moment ago and didn't realize they need to be taken within 30 days or they expire. Oh well, everyone says the UWSA are more predictive for Step 2 anyways, so I'll try taking the 3 NBMEs within the next 4 weeks and save my 2 UWSA closer to my test date in a couple weeks.

Currently preparing as well, Done and made my own notes from Onlinemeded... 1st NBME 8 prior to starting onlinemeded got a bad 200 score.. Now finished with Onlinemed and doing Uworld taking notes of all explanation into my onlinemeded notes currently at 60-70% ranges per block average of 66% And doing 2-3 hours of reading of MTB2 then MTB 3... Taking a NBME end of January, target date is 2nd week or 3rd week of February.. you think I should make it March?

Currently preparing as well, Done and made my own notes from Onlinemeded... 1st NBME 8 prior to starting onlinemeded got a bad 200 score.. Now finished with Onlinemed and doing Uworld taking notes of all explanation into my onlinemeded notes currently at 60-70% ranges per block average of 66% And doing 2-3 hours of reading of MTB2 then MTB 3... Taking a NBME end of January, target date is 2nd week or 3rd week of February.. you think I should make it March?

Hey, we have almost identical stats and I originally booked my date for Feb. 12th but I will push it back to March. How much UW do you have left?

Hey, we have almost identical stats and I originally booked my date for Feb. 12th but I will push it back to March. How much UW do you have left?

I thinking of booking 2nd week or 3rd week of February. My eligibility ends March too.. I have 60% left.. Finished 40% of my UW bank so I have a total of 35.75 blocks of 40 questions left. Hoping to finish it before the month ends.. Then review everything

Members don't see this ad :)

Feb. 12th but I'm about to move it to the 17th of March, I have no idea what to do to be honest, I heard this exam is very challenging and I lose about 2 days a week because I'm an IMG and I work 12 hours so I don't study then. Sometimes I can manage to review UW questions on my phone during down time, but that rarely happens. I'm at a 69% UW average right now with about ~1500 questions left.

edit: moved it to March 17th, no turning back now. I want to get through UW comfortably with at least one more pass.

Last edited:
Feb. 12th but I'm about to move it to the 17th of March, I have no idea what to do to be honest, I heard this exam is very challenging and I lose about 2 days a week because I'm an IMG and I work 12 hours so I don't study then. Sometimes I can manage to review UW questions on my phone during down time, but that rarely happens. I'm at a 69% UW average right now with about ~1500 questions left.

edit: moved it to March 17th, no turning back now. I want to get through UW comfortably with at least one more pass.

Truth be told this exam is harder compared to Step 1 for reasons, it is more clinical.. I just try to study everyday 7 days a week even though I have work, I am currently a Resident. I am on 36 hour on call 1-2 times weekly and 8-12hour shift 1-2 times weekly, and at the department office lounge studying for Step 2 CK doing uworld.. You can do it. Just remind your self majority of the people on here have cleared Step 2 CK, and so can we.

Feb.12th but I will reschedule, I need to beat my 233 step 1 score. I just bought the 3 available NBME practice exams at once a moment ago and didn't realize they need to be taken within 30 days or they expire. Oh well, everyone says the UWSA are more predictive for Step 2 anyways, so I'll try taking the 3 NBMEs within the next 4 weeks and save my 2 UWSA closer to my test date in a couple weeks.
How long ago did you give your step 1?

I was asking because I'm also an IMG and got the same score as you did, I gave the step 1 in August. Now I'm jumping on the CK wagon.

:)

That's great, what is your goal for CK?

Guys, it's frustrating when I feel like I'm doing well on a UW block and then see my score, I've literally had a 65% average for like the past 5-6 blocks. I'm making some dumb mistakes of course, but hopefully I'm learning from them. When I get something wrong and it is something silly, I always make an ANKI card and review it so I never get it wrong again.

That's great, what is your goal for CK?

Guys, it's frustrating when I feel like I'm doing well on a UW block and then see my score, I've literally had a 65% average for like the past 5-6 blocks. I'm making some dumb mistakes of course, but hopefully I'm learning from them. When I get something wrong and it is something silly, I always make an ANKI card and review it so I never get it wrong again.

I'm aiming for a 240+

I have the same thing happening to me and am realizing that apart from new information the silly mistakes I make are the things I've forgotten from step 1. This time around the score oscillates for uworld ck which frustrates me.

For most of us 2017 test-takers, the UWSA (Uworld assessments) were by far more predictive than the NBMEs. I don't remember any specifics but you could probably dig through our thread to find some. The NBMEs tended to underpredict, sometimes to a really frightening extent. They might be adjusted/fixed now, but if you take one for a baseline and it doesn't go as well as you wanted, don't abandon all hope.

Reactions: 3 users
Took the exam on 12/14, and got my score back today of 281! I was completely shocked. I did exactly 1/2 UWorld, both UWorld SIM forms, and all the available NBME practice tests.

For anyone looking for a tutor, I already tutor for Step 1 (scored a 262), and in light of my score am going to start accepting Step 2 CK students (I recently started tutoring independently through Wyzant after previously working with MedSchoolTutors). Feel free to PM me if you're interested in tutoring, or have questions about my study strategy! Happy to provide a copy of my score report (personal info redacted) if you have any doubts!

Congrats on the great score! Sounds like you had a solid foundation

For most of us 2017 test-takers, the UWSA (Uworld assessments) were by far more predictive than the NBMEs. I don't remember any specifics but you could probably dig through our thread to find some. The NBMEs tended to underpredict, sometimes to a really frightening extent. They might be adjusted/fixed now, but if you take one for a baseline and it doesn't go as well as you wanted, don't abandon all hope.

Ah thats re-assuring, have a little over 10 days until my exam, scored High 240's and Mid 240's on form 7 and 8, was really hoping to score in the 250's. Going to take a UWSA in a few days, hopefully I get a bump

I scored literally 40 points higher on the real deal than SA form 8. To be fair, I always do better on real vs. practice tests, and I probably wasn't putting in full effort on the SA, but given I took the practice a few days before Step 2, something seems up with that curve...

that inflates it

Anyone doing Kaplan step 2 CK qbank in addition to UW? Worth while?
I wouldn't do anything in addition to UW and the NBME self-assessments, including the subject specific and newly released Family Medicine forms.

EXCEPT if (1) you have exhausted UWorld (2) you have specific weak areas that you are consistently scoring lower on based on your NBME bars or UWorld percentiles. In this case, I would do subject specific Kaplan to target those areas. (3) #1 AND you are aiming for a 260+, then I would supplement USMLE Rx Hard questions for the random step 1 style questions they throw at you which are a hit or a miss.

I think the only things the percentiles are good for are gauging your weaker areas, in which case you should do targeted practice/review in those areas. I would focus too much on the actual percentile itself? Because as you said, there might be inflation from the repeated passes or god knows what. I remember I oscillated a lot in UWorld too--83% on one block and then 68% on another block--so it's really just organized chaos.

But if you're say 30th percentile on OB/GYN and 70th on Peds, then I would focus more review on OB/GYN. I think the Medicine bar is probably the most important to pay attn too, since that's like 60-70% of the test.
that inflates it

UWSA1 High 250s, UWSA2 Mid 260's.

Have a few more days of studying still have about 40% of uWorld, hoping to shore up some weak areas to ensure I score over 250

I have a terrible headache after taking NBME 6, I was expecting to score 220+ as I breezed through it relatively quickly. The questions seemed simple and to the point, until I got my shocking score of 209 with 36 incorrect. I stood up from my chair and sat outside on my porch and questioned my existence... Wtf happened?

Hello everybody, I am glad to join this CK preparation forum, I am planning to take the exam in April. I am using UW only but causally read through Step 2 secrets (It is an amazing book by the way!).

I have already finished 1/3 UW subject wise, 68% average. I aim for 240s

Good luck for all of us ;)

I have a terrible headache after taking NBME 6, I was expecting to score 220+ as I breezed through it relatively quickly. The questions seemed simple and to the point, until I got my shocking score of 209 with 36 incorrect. I stood up from my chair and sat outside on my porch and questioned my existence... Wtf happened?
I hear you bud.

I haven't taken any nmbe yet but I've heard these nbmes strongly under predict with the change of curve. It was also probably just a bad day.

Hang in there :)

I have done CK on 17th of Jan and it was literally brutal. Very long questions , so many USS images and vague tough ethics and biostat. Recall so many silly mistakes more than 30 and unsure about handfuls more . Very disappointed after the exam, hoping for the best (but certainly expecting the worst of the worst).
My preparations: was 3 months on UW by system and mixed (overall 79%) and then part of the marked and wrong wuestions.
UWAS 1 & 2 (252 , 251) 2 weeks before the exam.
NBME 7 (252) 3 days before the exam.

I have done CK on 17th of Jan and it was literally brutal. Very long questions , so many USS images and vague tough ethics and biostat. Recall so many silly mistakes more than 30 and unsure about handfuls more . Very disappointed after the exam, hoping for the best (but certainly expecting the worst of the worst).
My preparations: was 3 months on UW by system and mixed (overall 79%) and then part of the marked and wrong wuestions.
According to most test takers that is the feeling you get regardless of your final score so that won't change. You have been scoring consistently high on your practice tests so I'm sure you will get a very good score. :) I know I know the stress is still a killer.

According to most test takers that is the feeling you get regardless of your final score so that won't change. You have been scoring consistently high on your practice tests so I'm sure you will get a very good score. :) I know I know the stress is still a killer.
I hope so , I really do.
Thanks and best of luck for us all

Needing advice on step 2 ck prep. Consistently scoring 15-30th percentile on shelf exams with the exception of my neuro shelf where I scored 76th percentile. Why the difference? I got to actually study during my rotation, not outside of it. With that being said, still concerned as I have a low step 1 (215-220). I have medicine in 2 months with a month break before. Planning to use it to study for medicine as I know I will probably not get to study a lot. Anyone have any suggestions? I read blueprints, case files, watch OME, do UWorld, etc. but it doesn’t seem to stick after working 8-14 hour days. I score 70-80% on UWorld. Could really use some help.

Needing advice on step 2 ck prep. Consistently scoring 15-30th percentile on shelf exams with the exception of my neuro shelf where I scored 76th percentile. Why the difference? I got to actually study during my rotation, not outside of it. With that being said, still concerned as I have a low step 1 (215-220). I have medicine in 2 months with a month break before. Planning to use it to study for medicine as I know I will probably not get to study a lot. Anyone have any suggestions? I read blueprints, case files, watch OME, do UWorld, etc. but it doesn’t seem to stick after working 8-14 hour days. I score 70-80% on UWorld. Could really use some help.

The distribution of my shelf scores mirrors yours with the highest of mine being on a shelf retake (61%) whereas the rest were in the range you describe. You can see my post in the 2017 step 2 ck experiences thread if you are looking for resources to use in your prep.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:

I feel very similar, I found the test incredibly difficult. Much more difficult than uWorld in my experience. I will do a larger writeup once I get my score back; but I scored ~260 and ~265 on UWSA leading up to the exam and now I hope that I get above a 250.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel very similar, I found the test incredibly difficult. Much more difficult than uWorld in my experience. I will do a larger writeup once I get my score back; but I scored ~260 and ~265 on UWSA leading up to the exam and now I hope that I get above a 250.

Congrats on being done with the exam! I'm sure you killed it, your practice scores were amazing. Looking forward to reading about your experience.

What mode are you doing UWorld in? It's odd that you would score 70-80% on UWorld then <30% percentile on shelf exams. In general, I think Step 2 CK should be all about focusing on practice test questions, not reading case files (reading is very passive and doesn't stick for a lot of people). I didn't touch those books for my shelf exams, just focused on UWorld and NBME SA's and ended up always scoring well.

What mode are you doing UWorld in? It's odd that you would score 70-80% on UWorld then <30% percentile on shelf exams. In general, I think Step 2 CK should be all about focusing on practice test questions, not reading case files (reading is very passive and doesn't stick for a lot of people). I didn't touch those books for my shelf exams, just focused on UWorld and NBME SA's and ended up always scoring well.
Tutor mode, subject specific (e.g. all OB/GYN). Maybe I’m weird and the lack of pressure behind questions doesn’t fluster me in tutor mode.

Tutor mode, subject specific (e.g. all OB/GYN). Maybe I’m weird and the lack of pressure behind questions doesn’t fluster me in tutor mode.

Ah I always recommend against tutor mode (though I'm sure many will disagree with me)! You're training yourself to do something different than what the test is asking for. I'd try doing timed and see how you do.

Any advice on how to minimize error on NBMEs? My score improved on NBME 7, but I changed my answers on about 6-7 questions... I feel like I have the knowledge for 230+ potential, but I just can't stop myself from choosing the wrong answer.

For example, *spoiler alert* a patient presented with Charcot's triad (RUQ, fever, jaundice) but the US findings showed pericholecystic fluid, so for an entire minute I was like ****, how can it be cholecystitis with Charcot's triad? Cholangitis was obviously wrong, and it frustrates me that I knew how to differentiate them after reading both SUTM and UW, yet I still answered incorrectly because NBME question writers think it's funny to mess with us. I know now that if NBME wants me to choose cholangitis, they would probably write the words "septic, toxic appearing." There are many more examples, and I found NBME 7 to be particularly tricky with the wording.

Guys do you take notes while doing UW ?

This is my first pass and it's been a year since I gave my clinical subjects exam (non US IMG) so this stuff is definitely rusty for me.
So I am doing questions system wise for my first pass . I read the whole explanation including the other options to understand why they are wrong.

1)is there any benefit of taking detailed notes on each topic ?
2)or should i note down the tables and educational objectives in a separate notebook to review them quickly?
3)not take notes at all. But use that time to get one more pass through UW

I want a high score and would really appreciate any inputs(taking into consideration that I know less than the standard American student does when entering dedicated study period)
- from someone who has taken the test.

Thank you!!!

Guys do you take notes while doing UW ?

This is my first pass and it's been a year since I gave my clinical subjects exam (non US IMG) so this stuff is definitely rusty for me.
So I am doing questions system wise for my first pass . I read the whole explanation including the other options to understand why they are wrong.

1)is there any benefit of taking detailed notes on each topic ?
2)or should i note down the tables and educational objectives in a separate notebook to review them quickly?
3)not take notes at all. But use that time to get one more pass through UW

I want a high score and would really appreciate any inputs(taking into consideration that I know less than the standard American student does when entering dedicated study period)
- from someone who has taken the test.

Thank you!!!

I recently wrote the test, I do not have my score back yet; hoping for this week to get it.. My practice scores at the end were low-mid to 260s hopefully it will reflect.
In regards to taking notes on uWorld, I did for about 80 questions and then realized it was a waste of time; there was no way I would have time to go back and read over my notes. I would probably suggest if you have a low foundation to start off with onlinemeded; watch all the videos to build up a foundation, then go hard into uWorld questions and learn from each one.

I recently wrote the test, I do not have my score back yet; hoping for this week to get it.. My practice scores at the end were low-mid to 260s hopefully it will reflect.
In regards to taking notes on uWorld, I did for about 80 questions and then realized it was a waste of time; there was no way I would have time to go back and read over my notes. I would probably suggest if you have a low foundation to start off with onlinemeded; watch all the videos to build up a foundation, then go hard into uWorld questions and learn from each one.

Is UWorld all you used and do you think it is enough to get 240+? Got a low Step 1 score!

Wrote my step 2 ck on the 16th of Jan, Got my result today. For anyone who needs encouragement the exam is doable. If I could you could too.

STEP 1 212
UWSA 1 228 9 weeks before exam
NBME 7 205 5 weeks before exam (this killed me gave myself an extra 2weeks and took a week off to just cry and think)
UWSA 2 248 1 week before

Real deal 246!!!

Reactions: 23 users
Hey guys and gals,

I have a few questions, I am about to schedule my exam which I plan on taking on March 1st.

Started my Prep around November 2017.

I am already finished with the following:

1 full round of OME videos only took and wrote notes for all videos on 2 notebooks.

Done 1x with Uworld on timed random with an average of 68%, annotated Uw notes on my OME notebook.

Half way thru MTB2 for the second time.

Took my first NBME 8 at the end weeks of December 2017 and got a 3 digit score of 200, and recently took another NBME, NBME 6 and got a 3 digit of 239 few days ago.

Goal is around 240+

My plan is:

1) to take 1 block of UW everyday until few days before test day just to keep the brain going on how to take exams.

2) finish up MTB2 in a few days

3) Start one go of MTB 3 aftee finishing up MTB2

4) review quickly FA step 1 chapters such as Micro, Pharma, and biostats, and some important chapters on FA1

5) lastly, read my OME+UW notes i made

i also plan to do NBME 7 and all UwSA prior to taking the exam this March.

Should i stick to the plan or is it overkill? Should I skip NBME 7 and just take the UWSA and save money?

Please comment on my prep and any advise on my plan for the last few weeks until my planned date would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited: