This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

artist2022

DDS 🦷🎓✔
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So lots of these types of threads have been popping up about questions about how to submit something or how to do something, so I'll be adding them to this thread one by one so that people can have these to refer to all in one place!

Going forward, please post new questions in this thread, and be sure to quote the OP when you're answering their question or replying to them!

*** The first few posts will be weird since I'm copying & pasting, but soon it'll work as expected ***

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Listing Research on Application:
For those of you that have presented research at conferences, how are you listing this on your application? Are you just doing one "experience" called research where you record your hours and mention the conferences you presented at? Or do you list each conference as it's own experience and research as a separate experience?
I listed each conference and each poster presentation as a separate event. My Research experience (for which the posters and presentations were based off of) I listed as a different experience. It would be hard to keep it as 1 event and try to describe all the conferences and your actual research because of the character limit. Plus you put in hard work at those presentations and you should show them off.
Cool, thanks so much for your reply @Bionicjawboy ! I am presenting at IADR in Vancouver at the end of June, but I don't think I can list future events, right?
No you can't. Hey that's awesome, I'm presenting there too this year! But I applied last cycle and found out I was going to present around Febrarury so I individually sent schools an update regarding my project and they attached it to my file since I can't put future dates.

June 20 is really early and I don't think any schools start reviewing until mid July since it takes time for them to receive everything so you could just start your app, submit and then on June 20 list it. But the problem is I'm not sure if you can update until the actual update period hits? So you might have to send it to schools individually.

Reactions: 1 user
Question about Shadowing Hours:
Hello,
I'm currently working as a dental assistant for a general dentist and I'm wondering if the hours as an assistant are enough (700+) or if I need to shadow other general dentists separately.
Some schools may let you overlap. Some may not. It’s a gray area.
It's honor system on reporting. I'll let you decide how you want to interpret that.
I would consider shadowing hours separate from working hours.
It's based on a honor system like everyone stated. The schools I've talked to (in SoCal) all told me that it is separate. How your project yourself during the interviews can give them a rough estimate of how much you know your stuff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Academic Enrichment?
If I went to a pre-dental day, what would I put for "title" on the AADSAS application? The "organization" would be the university and so would the title be the name of the event or would I put my role (ex/ attendee)?

And what would the type of recognition be between the 3 options? (Compensated, received academic credit, volunteer)

I'm assuming volunteer but obviously I did not take part in planning or helping out with the event.

Thanks!
I'd put the university as the organization, and the title of the event as the title (for other activities, title = your role, but for here, I'd put title = name of event). Volunteer would fit best, and be sure you describe it clearly in the description that you did not volunteer, but instead you participated as an attendee.

Question about application related to grades and transcripts:
I am a student that in a quarter system school and graduating June, before I turn in the application, I might not able to have all my grades ready (the spring quarter end June 15). Therefore, do I need to wait for my last quarter grade before I send in the transcript? or they will just use my gpa before this quarter? Thank u!
You can list the courses as “in progress” and submit the application. You’ll have an opportunity to update your AADSAS by submitting a transcript with grades for the courses later.
If we send the grades in as soon as we receive them, will they for sure take them into consideration? Or could they possibly make decisions/reject people before then?
If you do not meet a GPA cutoff or have a very low GPA in general, it is possible that you are screened out before you submit your updated grades. No real harm in waiting until July to submit, but I wouldn't wait any longer than that, especially if your application is lacking. No way to know exactly how and when schools make decisions on applications.
If you submit your application before entering your Spring grades, schools will see your GPA without the spring grades.

If your spring grades will improve your application (Raise your GPA, show an uptrend, etc), at Predenting we advise students to hold off until approx. June 22nd when Spring grades will be uploaded. At that point, if everything else is completed, you can have your transcript electronically sent to AADSAS and then submit your apps then.

If your Spring GPA does not help your application, submit it without those grades.

Waiting until the end of June to submit your applications will not significant hurt your chances of getting an interview. Waiting until the end of August and later will.

Question about my major:
Hi everyone. My major is Neurobiology, Physiology and Behavior. However for my college, AADSAS only has either Neurobio by itself, physiology by itself or "Other Life Sciences." I'm guessing this isn't too big of a deal? Should I just choose "Other Life Sciences" since they don't have my exact major listed? Thank you
I would go with Neurobiology. I researched your major, and it mostly points back to neurobio and how it integrates with other systems of the body. Shouldn't be a major deal if you choose that as your option.
awesome, thanks

Unofficial Transcript Question
I was wondering if I could submit my ADEA AADSAS application to the selected schools if I haven't received my official transcript yet. I still have 1 more exam to go before completing my undergraduate. Any advice or help would be much appreciated, thanks.
You won't be able to submit until June 4th, and schools won't be able to receive your application until AADSAS receives your transcript and verifies your grades. So, you'll be able to submit, but AADSAS does need to receive your transcript before schools can even get your app and start looking at it/send you their secondary.

When assigning prereqs to individual schools, do we put down "Choose not to match a course with this prerequisite" if we haven't taken the prereq yet but are planning to?

When assigning prereqs to individual schools, do we put down "Choose not to match a course with this prerequisite" if we haven't taken the prereq yet but are planning to?

I believe that when you are inputting your past courses from your transcript, you can add future courses. Once you have added your future courses, I believe then you can match those courses.

When listing down extracurriculars do you always have to put a supervisor down or can you leave it blank? For example I will be leaving it blank for a student ran organization. Also, for status what do I select if none of them apply? Thank you!

When listing down extracurriculars do you always have to put a supervisor down or can you leave it blank? For example I will be leaving it blank for a student ran organization. Also, for status what do I select if none of them apply? Thank you!

I guess you can leave it blank. But for my application this past cycle I put down another student’s name.

Do we have to enter our grades online and additionally have the registrar office send our transcripts to AADSAS too? also does that have to be via mail or can they send it via pdf?

Do we have to enter our grades online and additionally have the registrar office send our transcripts to AADSAS too? also does that have to be via mail or can they send it via pdf?
Enter grades on AADSAS. Then have registrar send official copies via snail mail to AADSAS. They will have a form to attach.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
When entering transcript information into AADSAS--Once you click "Review and Finalize My Transcripts", can you go back and add spring quarter grades and finalize again? Just wondering if I can do it now to get more of my application completed in advance, or if it is best just to wait until spring grades come out in June?

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting caught up in the Environmental Factors portion of the AADSAS application. For the question: " Did you have paid employment prior to age eighteen? " Is this regarding an official job title, even working at McDonalds or Burger King, or is working at a family business sufficient? Also, what are they trying to understand from this question?

Also, I struggled with immigration throughout my childhood and my Dad was our sole provider up until sixth grade. I was able to go to college but had to fight a lot for my legal status and to prove to the schools, even elementary schools, that I was allowed to go to school in the United States. Is this considered disadvantaged? Other than this, my parents worked really hard and we were able to own our own business eventually when I was in the sixth grade. Thank you in advance!

Hello Everyone,

I'm getting caught up in the Environmental Factors portion of the AADSAS application. For the question: " Did you have paid employment prior to age eighteen? " Is this regarding an official job title, even working at McDonalds or Burger King, or is working at a family business sufficient? Also, what are they trying to understand from this question?

Also, I struggled with immigration throughout my childhood and my Dad was our sole provider up until sixth grade. I was able to go to college but had to fight a lot for my legal status and to prove to the schools, even elementary schools, that I was allowed to go to school in the United States. Is this considered disadvantaged? Other than this, my parents worked really hard and we were able to own our own business eventually when I was in the sixth grade. Thank you in advance!
yes, that is disadvantaged

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we required to do anything with ADA (send our DAT scores directly to schools via ADA), or does AASDAS take care of that by using you dentpin and verifying your DAT scores? Thanks

Are we required to do anything with ADA (send our DAT scores directly to schools via ADA), or does AASDAS take care of that by using you dentpin and verifying your DAT scores? Thanks
They take care of it automatically

I've noticed that some schools only have a requirement of 1 semester (4 credits) of certain prerequisite classes; UNE for example only requires 4 credits for Biology, Gen Chem, and O Chem. So does this mean that the second semesters of each course series would be considered "additional Biology, Chemistry, Physics?" Or should I simply list them under the nested subject titles with extra credits for each?

I guess this would also pose the question, am I supposed to list all upper level Biology courses under each school's "Biology" section, or is that simply for the required prerequisite course series?

Also, for a school that requires Anatomy, when I took A&P together for a 2 semester series, I'm assuming I should list both courses. But then what do I do in order to get the Physiology part into the additional Biology courses?

I've noticed that some schools only have a requirement of 1 semester (4 credits) of certain prerequisite classes; UNE for example only requires 4 credits for Biology, Gen Chem, and O Chem. So does this mean that the second semesters of each course series would be considered "additional Biology, Chemistry, Physics?" Or should I simply list them under the nested subject titles with extra credits for each?

I guess this would also pose the question, am I supposed to list all upper level Biology courses under each school's "Biology" section, or is that simply for the required prerequisite course series?

Also, for a school that requires Anatomy, when I took A&P together for a 2 semester series, I'm assuming I should list both courses. But then what do I do in order to get the Physiology part into the additional Biology courses?
The way I did it was to list every class that would satisfy a prereq under that prereq. For instance, for Bio I listed every bio class I took and left it up to the school to pick which one they wanted.
I was in the same situation for A&P and I listed the 2 A&P classes I took under both the "Anatomy" prereq, as well as under the "Physiology" prereq. I'm pretty sure in this case the same class can be used to satisfy multiple prereqs.

For transcript entry I have 10 transfer credits from AP (one semester of english, calc 1, and ecology + lab), but I retook all the courses. Should I still put the 4 classes into AADSAS, or just leave it out since I'm not even using the credits?

For transcript entry I have 10 transfer credits from AP (one semester of english, calc 1, and ecology + lab), but I retook all the courses. Should I still put the 4 classes into AADSAS, or just leave it out since I'm not even using the credits?
If they appear on your transcripts, then put them into AADSAS. Everything on your transcript much be entered and match what is in AADSAS.

If they appear on your transcripts, then put them into AADSAS. Everything on your transcript much be entered and match what is in AADSAS.

What if it just says "Test Credits: 10.00" instead of listing the actual classes I got credit for?

What if it just says "Test Credits: 10.00" instead of listing the actual classes I got credit for?
I'd probably contact AADSAS. During the verification process, if you don't list it or list it incorrectly, they'll kick your application back and then you'll need to fix it and submit your app to the verification queue again.

Is the environmental factors section a factor for admission or mainly just for stats?

I took the DAT last year and did not apply the last cycle. Right now, it says that my scores are unofficial. Is there anything I have to do to make them official?

I took the DAT last year and did not apply the last cycle. Right now, it says that my scores are unofficial. Is there anything I have to do to make them official?
Nothing that you do specifically. It just takes some time for AADSAS to process your official scores from the ADA. As long as your DENTPIN entered on AADSAS matches what the ADA has and you see your DAT scores here (https://dts.ada.org/customerservices_ADA/AccountSummary.aspx) they'll automatically update on AADSAS eventually.

When does the verification process begin for transcript entry?

1. I received credit for research done during the year, but since we're not allowed to put it in the experiences section do we even get a chance to talk about it?

2. What would you guys suggest doing for clubs where we had different positions? e.g. I was just a member from freshman-sophomore year, but I became an officer this past year

On the application, it says "If your programs require official test scores, see Sending Official Test Scores for more information." How do we know which programs require official test scores?
Most if not all programs require official test scores, but I don't remember having to manually request ADA to send my scores to any school after taking the test. I think when you register to take the DAT there's an option to have your scores automatically sent to all the schools you select for free and I selected all of them.

1. I received credit for research done during the year, but since we're not allowed to put it in the experiences section do we even get a chance to talk about it?
I also did research for credit during the school year and I put it under the experiences section. Just make sure you mention that it was for credit in the description box.

2. What would you guys suggest doing for clubs where we had different positions? e.g. I was just a member from freshman-sophomore year, but I became an officer this past year
I would list the officer position and explain exactly what you said in the description.

I'm in a club where I hold an officer position, I'm the fundraising chair, so essentially I plan and set up fundraisers and contact all the people to make it official and allowed on school campus. It's relatively a lot of work and it's all volunteering and all the proceeds go to charity. Would this be considered an extracurricular activity or volunteer under the experiences tab? Thanks!

Also do dental schools count all of the volunteering hours listed? or do they only look at the highlighted ones?

Need HELP in deciding!

My application is thoroughly complete apart from needing to take the DAT (for the 2nd time) in July. I recently saw a few dental students from UCSF advise against submitting the application unless it's complete in its entirety (transcripts/DAT etc.) VIDEO HERE @ 32:30. Their reasoning was that schools will push the incomplete application aside and essentially "forget" about them for a while - not knowing when they will get back to that application to see if it's been updated/complete. They suggest submitting an entire complete application all at once.

I'm torn as to how I should proceed. Obviously I want to have everything submitted as early as possible and I realize it takes weeks to have everything processed and verified. Any advice would be much appreciated! :help:

I'm in a club where I hold an officer position, I'm the fundraising chair, so essentially I plan and set up fundraisers and contact all the people to make it official and allowed on school campus. It's relatively a lot of work and it's all volunteering and all the proceeds go to charity. Would this be considered an extracurricular activity or volunteer under the experiences tab? Thanks!

I held a similar position and listed it as extracurricular as it was part of a club. I accounted for the volunteer hours under the hours per week and number of weeks section.

Enter grades on AADSAS. Then have registrar send official copies via snail mail to AADSAS. They will have a form to attach.
I sent my transcripts via pdf. did anyone else send their transcripts this way? im worried that I didn't send it right, even though AADSAS said they received it.

I sent my transcripts via pdf. did anyone else send their transcripts this way? im worried that I didn't send it right, even though AADSAS said they received it.
Mine were delivered electronically. If AADSAS says they received it and haven’t told you there are any issues, you’re good to go.

How do I indicate that I plan to take a certain prerequisite next Spring when it won't be on my transcript as registration for Spring is in October? For example, for UF they require Microbiology Lab, which I won't be taking until after I take the lecture in Fall. Do I just add the lecture when marking off prerequisites and ignore that it technically requires a minimum of 4 credits on the application?

How do I indicate that I plan to take a certain prerequisite next Spring when it won't be on my transcript as registration for Spring is in October? For example, for UF they require Microbiology Lab, which I won't be taking until after I take the lecture in Fall. Do I just add the lecture when marking off prerequisites and ignore that it technically requires a minimum of 4 credits on the application?
You can add future coursework. So you'd add Fall 2019 as planned with its courses, then Spring 2020 as planned with its courses. Then you should be able to pair that pre-req to that school even though it's planned.

Anyone know how to enter a grade if you dropped a course? My official transcript left my grade blank, but in the transcript entry, it says a grade is required. Should I add "DR" to signify that it was dropped?

I am a reapplicant. Do you know if I have to request my transcripts again from my university if I have not taken any classes since the last application cycle? I graduated in December 2017. All of my courses transferred over with the 2019-2020 application.

Has anyone else had trouble with Western's supplemental application? I believe there are essay questions associated with it, but I am only seeing the certification page. Do I have to wait until I submit AADSAS in order to view the full supplemental application?

I am a reapplicant. Do you know if I have to request my transcripts again from my university if I have not taken any classes since the last application cycle? I graduated in December 2017. All of my courses transferred over with the 2019-2020 application.
According to a friend, his transcripts were "locked" in on the app and it looks like he won't have to request them again. If yours are "locked" as well on the transcripts section, you should be okay. If this isn't the case and you have a match form available to download, you'll need to get them again.
Has anyone else had trouble with Western's supplemental application? I believe there are essay questions associated with it, but I am only seeing the certification page. Do I have to wait until I submit AADSAS in order to view the full supplemental application?
Pretty sure they become available after they've received your primary app from AADSAS and know that you are indeed an applicant. I only did their supplemental after I submitted my AADSAS, so that's my best guess :p

Would you recommend putting any Intramural competition wins in the Achievements section?

I do have substantial hours (40-80) at a couple of GP offices and a clinic, but I also shadowed about a dozen GPs and specialists over the course of a year, usually visiting each office for a couple of days. Should I just make separate entries for each dentist/office or would it be better to condense my shadowing experience into fewer entries?

I am in a non-thesis masters program at NC State University, and my transcript just calls it "physiology, master of" but on my other school website it's referred to as "physiology-MR". I don't think it's considered a master of science because there was another option to do that which included a thesis. So my question is when I'm entering that degree on AADSAS, what do I call it? There isn't a "master of physiology" option, but i could do "other master" I guess and then put physiology as my major. I just want to do the correct thing though because I'm terrified of making a mistake and having it delay my application. Thanks in advance!

In the Program Materials section, some of the schools (Tufts, NYU, etc) make you assign prerequisite courses separately by semester. For example, there is a separate section for General Chemistry I & General Chemistry II because they want 2 semesters worth.

How would I assign my courses if I attended a quarter system school? They indicate that 2 semesters = 3 quarters but don't allow us to assign the 3 quarters worth? Other schools just have General Chemistry listed as one section and I can select all 3 quarters to fulfill the requirement.

Hi you guys,

On my unofficial transcript, it says for my AP courses that units were transferred but they aren't under a specific quarter. I used my AP English credit and AP Math credit to pass me out of English and math courses at my university, but I never used any AP credit to fulfill any pre-dental courses. Do I need to still request my university to release my AP scores on my transcript or would it be okay not reporting any AP courses on the transcript entry section?

Thanks!