Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm back applying to reapply anesthesia this year. Last cycle was an absolute nightmare for me (250/251, 1st pass CS, no red flags with 8IVs to top to mid-tier programs and didn't match). Had to SOAP for a prelim spot. I've been working on my interviewing skills so hopefully I can actually get a Physician R spot this cycle.

I do have a question. I will be applying to all the R spots this cycle, but I was wondering if it is good to apply to C and/or A spots as well? My advisors can't help me on this and I don't want to get burned again.

I’m so sorry to hear that happened, that is a nightmare beyond nightmares

Members don't see this ad.

I'm back applying to reapply anesthesia this year. Last cycle was an absolute nightmare for me (250/251, 1st pass CS, no red flags with 8IVs to top to mid-tier programs and didn't match). Had to SOAP for a prelim spot. I've been working on my interviewing skills so hopefully I can actually get a Physician R spot this cycle.

I do have a question. I will be applying to all the R spots this cycle, but I was wondering if it is good to apply to C and/or A spots as well? My advisors can't help me on this and I don't want to get burned again.

If it was me, I would definitely apply to C spots. As last year proved, nothing is guaranteed. Take as many interviews as you can reasonably attend (including several programs that others would consider safeties) and hope for the best.

Reactions: 1 user
If it was me, I would definitely apply to C spots. As last year proved, nothing is guaranteed. Take as many interviews as you can reasonably attend (including several programs that others would consider safeties) and hope for the best.

I’m a CA-1, was last cycle really that competitive? Where is anesthesia ranking in comparison to other specialties or is everything just more competitive?

Members don't see this ad :)
It comes in cycles Anesthesia is becoming more competitive but so is everything. A lot of people still make with ok board scores, it’s not outrageously competitive.

Sorry to hear about your match experience, with 8 Ivs maybe do interview practice this year?

thanks for the responses guys. I’ll have to think about what spots (A or C) I’ll apply for.

And yes I have been working on my interviewing skills so that the interview doesn’t feel as “forced” (that’s the feedback I got from one of the faculty members that interviewed me).

Non-US IMG
Step 1: 251 / Step 2: 258/ CS: 1 pass/ Step 3: 243
good luck for us!

Reactions: 1 users
thanks for the responses guys. I’ll have to think about what spots (A or C) I’ll apply for.

And yes I have been working on my interviewing skills so that the interview doesn’t feel as “forced” (that’s the feedback I got from one of the faculty members that interviewed me).

just treat it as a convo. i went into interviews with a 'i dont rly care mentality' which i think helped me cause it probably seemed a bit more natural. definitely dont force your answers. they aren't dumb and can easily see thru you.

Q: if someone should apply to 40 programs, does that mean they should apply to categorical and advanced at 40 institutions (so like ~60 applications) or like they should apply to 40 categorical and advanced programs total?

Q: if someone should apply to 40 programs, does that mean they should apply to categorical and advanced at 40 institutions (so like ~60 applications) or like they should apply to 40 categorical and advanced programs total?

I expect it would be 40 institutions since if they don’t want you for advanced they probably wouldn’t want you for categorical?

I’m just grasping at straws though

Correct me if I am remembering incorrectly, but isn’t the cost per program not per pathway? ie Cat and Adv at one place is the same price as Cat only. I believe this was the case and I ended up applying Mainly Cat but I threw on Adv as well at every place that had both.

My goal last year was 40 programs which ended up being like 52 distinct application codes given Cat/Adv stuff.

I expect it would be 40 institutions since if they don’t want you for advanced they probably wouldn’t want you for categorical?

There may be some truth to this, but it certainly varies by program.

For instance, Utah has 3 pathways. 2 Cat (one with TY and one with IM, but one match for both) and an advanced. So 3 possible paths. The TY is the most competitive Pathway and the adv the least. During interviews they told us that they encouraged everyone to apply for all 3, and that if we had not yet we should make sure ERAS is updated to all 3 before the interview day ended. So that is one unique instance where you might not be competing for the Cat/TY but would be for Cat/IM.

Really having a hard time knowing how many programs to apply to. Can any of you past applicants on here give insight? I'm a DO. Usmle: 235+/240+. Comlex: 650+. Some research blah blah blah. I'd love to get at least 10 interviews. I know there is a point of diminishing returns graph on aamc, but anecdotally what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad :)
Really having a hard time knowing how many programs to apply to. Can any of you past applicants on here give insight? I'm a DO. Usmle: 235+/240+. Comlex: 650+. Some research blah blah blah. I'd love to get at least 10 interviews. I know there is a point of diminishing returns graph on aamc, but anecdotally what do you guys think?
I had slightly higher step 1. Applied to 33 programs. 17 interview invites, went to 12.

I may be missing something but is there a way to find specifically prelim programs on FREIDA? I am lost about how to do that part. I found plenty of TY programs but I can't figure out how to sort prelim from categorical medicine.

Also interested in what most peoples strategy is when it comes to applying TY/Prelims. I don't want to but I feel like somehow I have to.

I may be missing something but is there a way to find specifically prelim programs on FREIDA? I am lost about how to do that part. I found plenty of TY programs but I can't figure out how to sort prelim from categorical medicine.

Also interested in what most peoples strategy is when it comes to applying TY/Prelims. I don't want to but I feel like somehow I have to.
I just used the ERAS search personally and found programs in the region I wanted. If I don't get any of those, I'll just scramble into prelim surgery and suck it up for a year. I don't feel like wasting much money applying to prelims though.

As someone who went through this process recently, I'll caution people in this thread discussing strategies for prelims. Do not underestimate the competitiveness of TY/medicine prelims. They are very competitive. In fact, I can say for a fact that when I went through the interview process a couple years ago getting a prelim spot in TY/medicine was easily more competitive than getting an actual anesthesia spot. Nobody wants to do prelim surgery, and the applicants you are competing against for TY/medicine are all very strong applicants for Derm, Ophthalmology, Rad/Onc, radiology... there are no slouches applying to TY/med prelims because all the lesser competitive specialties don't require a prelim year. Anesthesia is probably the least competitive specialty that are vying for these spots. If you are planning on ranking advanced anesthesia programs highly make sure to apply broadly to TY/med prelims unless you're ok with risking doing a year in a surgery prelim.

Good luck to all of you.

As someone who went through the match a couple of years ago and interviewed at quite a few places (from academic ivory towers to middle-of-nowhere programs), I'm happy to help with general advice/tips.

I'll echo what dchz said. Knowing the match rates for competitive fellowships (cardiac and pain) is important.

Another question that I think is important to ask: based on my interview experience, many big-name academic centers didn't seem to have the best regional training for residents, and the situation probably won't get any better as regional fellowships become widespread. So ask about average # of blocks residents get, # of months of regional experience, etc.
Thank you for helping out! I was wondering when applying to prelim IM spots for the purpose of getting into advanced anesthesia residency, do we need to gear our personal statements and letters towards a purely internal medicine focus?

I just used the ERAS search personally and found programs in the region I wanted. If I don't get any of those, I'll just scramble into prelim surgery and suck it up for a year. I don't feel like wasting much money applying to prelims though.
Yeah i am in the same boat, trying to apply broadly but if I want to cover the advanced gas spots too I will probably need to do a new IM personal statement and spend a whole lot more money trying to get into prelims.

Yeah i am in the same boat, trying to apply broadly but if I want to cover the advanced gas spots too I will probably need to do a new IM personal statement and spend a whole lot more money trying to get into prelims.

I am totally not rewriting my PS -- I was told that you can just add two sentences about pursuing a year of ___ to prepare you for your advanced training in Anesthesia. Not sure if that's something other people heard?

Good luck all youngins, last yrs match was rough. Remember to rank all your ivs. You’re not too good for any program .... unless you are already rich.... ( i matched at my 8th choice out of my 12 ranks) despite positive feedback from program directors and residents at my top three choices

Wow. Did you cuss someone out the trail? Did you drink too much at a few of the dinners?

anyone know anything about the Hackensack NJ program? required scores.. make up MDs/DOs? anything for that matter?

I'm looking for some opinions on which LORs to use. So I have 2 anesthesiologist letters which I'm obviously going to use, but as for the final 2 I have the option between a private practice pain doc, a non-academic pediatric cardiologist, vice-chair of medicine, and vice-chair of psychiatry. All of these people I have worked with clinically so I'm having some trouble deciding.

I think I'm for sure going to use the medicine letter. And for the last one I think I want to use the psychiatry letter. The reason for this is that this doc was my attending during AI, so I've worked with him the most out of everyone on my list. Also my application prior to deciding on anesthesia looks like I want to do psychiatry. So I think a letter from him shows that I'm serious about anesthesia because I've disclosed my intentions to the psych department. But then there is concern that his letter wouldn't be the best because I'm not going into his field after doing the AI, but he offered to write it.

Any insight? I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

I'm looking for some opinions on which LORs to use. So I have 2 anesthesiologist letters which I'm obviously going to use, but as for the final 2 I have the option between a private practice pain doc, a non-academic pediatric cardiologist, vice-chair of medicine, and vice-chair of psychiatry. All of these people I have worked with clinically so I'm having some trouble deciding.

I think I'm for sure going to use the medicine letter. And for the last one I think I want to use the psychiatry letter. The reason for this is that this doc was my attending during AI, so I've worked with him the most out of everyone on my list. Also my application prior to deciding on anesthesia looks like I want to do psychiatry. So I think a letter from him shows that I'm serious about anesthesia because I've disclosed my intentions to the psych department. But then there is concern that his letter wouldn't be the best because I'm not going into his field after doing the AI, but he offered to write it.

Any insight? I'm sure I'm over thinking this.

Sounds like a good plan to me assuming they both know you well

Also a LoR question:

Australian IMG here. I have an anesthesia PD's letter from the U.S. When applying to this PD's program, should I include the PD's letter, or should I substitute it with another strong letter from an anesthesiologist in Australia (who knows me from clerkship and from research) ? I wonder if the PD would wanna see other people's letter, or would he be offended if I didnt use his letter for his own program?

Thanks guys!

Also a LoR question:

Australian IMG here. I have an anesthesia PD's letter from the U.S. When applying to this PD's program, should I include the PD's letter, or should I substitute it with another strong letter from an anesthesiologist in Australia (who knows me from clerkship and from research) ? I wonder if the PD would wanna see other people's letter, or would he be offended if I didnt use his letter for his own program?

Thanks guys!

Tough one — I feel like you should include his letter just so if someone who isn’t him is screening apps they see it and say “oh we know KAIVMAC”

Just my thoughts.

Reactions: 2 users
Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.59.17 pm.png Anyone else currently outside of the U.S. getting geo-blocked for some of the Florida programs' websites? I got this for Kendall regional. Been like this for months.
Screen Shot 2019-09-03 at 8.59.17 pm.png

I did a whole separate prelim PS but it was mostly based on my gas one. My dean told me to do a separate one so I did. Idk how much it matters. I'm going to limit my prelims to 20 that I would genuinely want to train at.

I want to stress that many programs really value the interview process. This means that despite your Step 1 and 2 scores if you interview poorly and don't come cross as a team player that program may decide not to rank you highly. Hence, the interview is now an extremely important part of the process along with your entire application.

Many choose "anesthesiology" to avoid interactions with people or colleagues. Unfortunately, these days the interview process requires one to come across as socially adept and the kind of person faculty, co-residents, etc want to work with for the next 3-4 years.

25 programs. In the past, candidates with your stats applied to 30 programs or more. You need to focus on programs which have DOs with similar stats. Apply to 20+ programs where your stats match up and another 5+ where you are reaching higher than your stats. In addition, how about a few practice interviews with residents or staff?

Just because you apply to 25+ programs doesn't mean you will get more than 10-12 interviews. Your goal should be to interview at 10-12 programs in order to match in the specialty.

US MD with 223/230 board scores and anesthesia research. How many programs should I apply to? Can I get away with less than 40?

US MD with 223/230 board scores and anesthesia research. How many programs should I apply to? Can I get away with less than 40?

Probably not. 40-45 with community programs like HCA
(Mix of academic and community programs)
If by some miracle you get more than 20 interviews then that is the time to scale back your interest in some programs

If you apply wisely to the right programs there is a decent chance you will get 15 interviews. If you interview well and select the appropriate programs I think you can Match

Don’t risk your future career by not applying to 40 programs vs 30. Again, if you somehow end up with more than 20 interviews then scale back to 15.

Last edited:

If by some miracle you get more than 20 interviews then that is the time to scale back your interest in some programs

If you apply wisely to the right programs there is a decent chance you will get 15 interviews.

You really think I’m gonna struggle that much to get interviews as US MD?

Also, should I apply to backup specialty?

(Mix of academic and community programs)

If you apply wisely to the right programs there is a decent chance you will get 15 interviews. If you interview well and select the appropriate programs I think you can Match

Don’t risk your future career by not applying to 40 programs vs 30. Again, if you somehow end up with more than 20 interviews then scale back to 15.

So hold off on backup specialty?

You really think I’m gonna struggle that much to get interviews as US MD?

Is your goal 5 interviews or 10-12? Why not apply to 40 programs then scale the interviews to 15. I’m sure some of those 40 programs will be good mid tier academic programs.

Also, should I apply to backup specialty? No

That’s why you apply to 40. No backup specialty.

Here's my list so far. what do you think?

Allegheny
Beth Israel
Boston University
Brown University
Cooper
Dartmouth
Geisinger
George Washington
Hackensack
Health Quest
Mt Sinai
St lukes/roosevelt
Lahey Clinic
Maimonides
Maine
Medical U of SC
Georgetown
Montifiore
Cornell
NYU
Hershey
Rutgers
RWJ
Jefferson
St. Elizabeths
St. Josephs
Stony Brook
SUNY Brooklyn
SUNY Upstate
Temple
UMASS Baystate
UCONN
Maryland
UMASS
PENN
Vermont
UVA
UPMC
UPMC Lititz
VCOM
Westchester
Yale
Hofstra

Hi all,
I need some advice regardic advanced vs categorical spots. I have a list of 35-ish programs and only 4 of them are advanced. Should I even bother applying to transitional or prelim year, or should I just take my chances with the 30 categorical programs?
US md, mid tier school, step 1 in the 260s, step 2 tbd. Rest of the app pretty generic, some research, not a ton of publications, decent LORs (hopefully) from the home program.

Hi all,
I need some advice regardic advanced vs categorical spots. I have a list of 35-ish programs and only 4 of them are advanced. Should I even bother applying to transitional or prelim year, or should I just take my chances with the 30 categorical programs?
US md, mid tier school, step 1 in the 260s, step 2 tbd. Rest of the app pretty generic, some research, not a ton of publications, decent LORs (hopefully) from the home program.

I am having the exact same conundrum, same number picked out and probably some of the same 4 annoying A-only wrenches in my plans.

You should definitely set your blog to private though Creed.

I am having the exact same conundrum, same number picked out and probably some of the same 4 annoying A-only wrenches in my plans.

You should definitely set your blog to private though Creed.
what are you going to do about it? seems somewhat annoying to apply to God knows how many prelims/TYs just for 4 spots? also I really really hate the idea of changing my personal statement for it.

P.S. Is it you Ryan?

Should I even bother applying to transitional or prelim year, or should I just take my chances with the 30 categorical programs?

With your stats you will likely interview most places you apply, considering there are no red flags. If you interview well you will match very well.

In your shoes I would only apply categorical, but that is because I really only liked good cat programs. With your stats you may be shooting for some old academic Boston programs or big Cali places, some of those are still adv.

Basically apply only to the places you want. You have a very strong application and will do well.

For reference I had average scores, but significantly above average research/involvement in nonsense. Applied to 40 cat, 10 adv, 10 prel. Good mix, a bit heavy on the prestigious places.

Got 15 cat/adv interviews. 2 prelims. Matched at a well regarded small cat program. As a PGY-1 I would be dying if I had a true prelim surg/med year. My CBY is awesome with a killer mix of medicine, surgery, anesthesia, and really unique off service experiences.

what are you going to do about it? seems somewhat annoying to apply to God knows how many prelims/TYs just for 4 spots? also I really really hate the idea of changing my personal statement for it.

P.S. Is it you Ryan?

I wish I knew. I am really torn what to do. Part of me wants to apply to all of the top 10-20 programs just because I’ll regret not trying, but really I don’t care that much. I just want to enjoy whatever place it is.

I’ll probably end up just applying to a few prelim/TY programs and letting that be that. All of my most preferred places now are categorical as it is.

With your stats you will likely interview most places you apply, considering there are no red flags. If you interview well you will match very well.

In your shoes I would only apply categorical, but that is because I really only liked good cat programs. With your stats you may be shooting for some old academic Boston programs or big Cali places, some of those are still adv.

Basically apply only to the places you want. You have a very strong application and will do well.

For reference I had average scores, but significantly above average research/involvement in nonsense. Applied to 40 cat, 10 adv, 10 prel. Good mix, a bit heavy on the prestigious places.

Got 15 cat/adv interviews. 2 prelims. Matched at a well regarded small cat program. As a PGY-1 I would be dying if I had a true prelim surg/med year. My CBY is awesome with a killer mix of medicine, surgery, anesthesia, and really unique off service experiences.

thanks for the advice! yeah I feel like surviving a true prelim year would be a struggle. I guess it just feels overconfident to only apply to cat spots.

I wish I knew. I am really torn what to do. Part of me wants to apply to all of the top 10-20 programs just because I’ll regret not trying, but really I don’t care that much. I just want to enjoy whatever place it is.

I’ll probably end up just applying to a few prelim/TY programs and letting that be that. All of my most preferred places now are categorical as it is.

Same. I have some big names on my list, but most importantly I want to be in a good place with reasonable workload and decent academics. Seems like many of the desirable locations/programs are "workhorse" types.
Did you do any aways?

You guys are mostly spot on. Remember, more Med students in this year’s Match means more applicants for Anesthesiology. I expect record numbers again this year seeking positions.

Apply broadly but smart. Be realistic but throw out a few high fliers just in case they bite. 40 programs is now the new 30. Despite the cost you need to Match. If you are fortunate to get more than 15 interviews then scale back and become selective.
Polish up your interview skills by trying to act normal and look like the kind of young person who will be a team player and easy to work with.

Good luck to all.

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,
I’m a similar situation. I have about 40 programs with only 4-5 being advanced which also happen to not be my favorite programs.

I’m considering only applying to my 4 local TY/prelim programs. I figure these programs would be at the bottom of my rank list and if I don’t get an intern year, I could always just SOAP into a prelim spot somewhere.

What role does class rank play in deciding whether to give an applicant an interview? Can it be the deciding factor?

Probably a stupid question, but if I apply to a program with multiple spots (physician, cat, adv) will I only have one interview for all of them?

Probably a stupid question, but if I apply to a program with multiple spots (physician, cat, adv) will I only have one interview for all of them?
Yes, one interview.