Official 2019-2020 Anesthesiology Residency Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when interviews invites will start to come in for anesthesiology?
Looks like they are starting to slowly trickle in. I saw Vandy and DMC started to send invites according to the spreadsheet, and I got an invite from Witchita at around noon today. The bulk of it doesnt start till oct 1 when MSPEs are released though. Hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know when interviews invites will start to come in for anesthesiology?

It's already started for some programs. Should be ramping up in the next few weeks, especially after Oct 1st

Looks like they are starting to slowly trickle in. I saw Vandy and DMC started to send invites according to the spreadsheet, and I got an invite from Witchita at around noon today. The bulk of it doesnt start till oct 1 when MSPEs are released though. Hope this helps.
Where’s the link to the spreadsheet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am just concerned that this Oct 1 floodgate IV will not come. People will have high expectations come Oct 1 nothing will change.

Reactions: 2 users
I have some late LORs coming in this week, do I need to reach out to each program i applied to ask them to redownload my app?

Did Thomas Jefferson hand out their Interview invites already?

Don't programs send the bulk of the invites all at once and not in dribs and drabs?

Hell if I know...The only thing I know about what programs do with interviews is that they don’t send them to me.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone have any insight into how these early invites are being sent out? Have only gotten one so far from a pretty low tier program, but have missed out on other lower tiers as well (Loyola, Jefferson). Thought my 248 step 1, AOA status would make the cut...getting kinda worried that I overestimated myself cuz I have a pretty large number of higher tier programs on my list :/ is it a bad sign if I haven’t gotten an interview even from my “safeties”?

Last edited:
on average each program hands out 140 interviews for 7 spots.....they are coming

on average each program hands out 140 interviews for 7 spots.....they are coming
Don't programs send the majority of applicants they intend to invite, notification all at the same time?

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't programs send the majority of applicants they intend to invite, notification all at the same time?

here u go

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.46.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.46.59 PM.png
    78.2 KB · Views: 273
  • Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.46.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-09-18 at 11.46.48 PM.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 252
Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys, how does thalamus work for interview invites? Can I register now or do I have to get an invite to register? thanks

Hey guys, how does thalamus work for interview invites? Can I register now or do I have to get an invite to register? thanks
In the interview invite email there will be a link to sign up for thalamus. Its a quick process.

I have some late LORs coming in this week, do I need to reach out to each program i applied to ask them to redownload my app?
Wondering this as well since I just got my last letter in and assigned it 2 days ago. Seems early to start contacting programs. I feel like they would be checking for additional letters till October at least since most people don't have all theirs the day apps go out, but I have no freakin clue.

Anyone have any insight into how these early invites are being sent out? Have only gotten one so far from a pretty low tier program, but have missed out on other lower tiers as well (Loyola, Jefferson). Thought my 248 step 1, AOA status would make the cut...getting kinda worried that I overestimated myself cuz I have a pretty large number of higher tier programs on my list :/ is it a bad sign if I haven’t gotten an interview even from my “safeties”?
I am in a very similar position. Also applied to a lot of "reach" programs and so far only one invite to a mid tier program.
But I think there's no reason to be alarmed yet. It has only been 4 days. Realistically PDs cannot look through hundreds of apps in one sitting. Also I am sure some are waiting for the MSPEs.

My friend's school extends invitations to all their home programs students and away students who have rotated for an exclusive early "II", does that count as an Interview (the golden 11/12 number needed) or no?

My friend's school extends invitations to all their home programs students and away students who have rotated for an exclusive early "II", does that count as an Interview (the golden 11/12 number needed) or no?

Why wouldn't it count? If I did an away and scored an interview, I'd hope it counts as an actual interview that matters

Vast majority of anesthesiology IIs will be sent in October, as is true for most fields. FM and IM (FM>IM) send relatively more IIs before October 1st, but also send majority in October...according to NRMP.

When you get an invite via ERAS and use ERAS scheduler, do you send any response besides just scheduling?
If yes, do you send it via ERAS messenger? I am not sure if I should say anything or just set the date.

I think it would be helpful if people could list the program names where they obtained their interview invites. Thanks!
What do you mean? The program name is what is next to the number of people invited.

What do you mean? The program name is what is next to the number of people invited.
I was referring to under "applicant data" that people should list the names of the programs to which they were invited . Only a very few listed the specific program names. It would be helpful if more people would specify the information.

When you get an invite via ERAS and use ERAS scheduler, do you send any response besides just scheduling?
If yes, do you send it via ERAS messenger? I am not sure if I should say anything or just set the date.

If its through ERAS then you can just schedule and thats it. No need to send any response or do anything else. The only time to email them is when they originally invite you via email so you've already established an email correspondence.

Do programs send out invites on weekends? Would like to spend time with my family unattached at least some of the time during the next couples months.

I was referring to under "applicant data" that people should list the names of the programs to which they were invited . Only a very few listed the specific program names. It would be helpful if more people would specify the information.
Oh gotcha, yeah I agree it would be nice to see.

People are actually supposed to write their identifier next to the date of contact on the Interview Invite list too. But it seems like nobody has been doing that. E.g. instead of "9/20" it should be "MrGasMan 9/20". Then it allows people to backtrack if they wanted to. Oh well :/

If its through ERAS then you can just schedule and thats it. No need to send any response or do anything else. The only time to email them is when they originally invite you via email so you've already established an email correspondence.
Wait, so I'm supposed to respond to the original email? I just scheduled through ERAS but never replied otherwise, I doubt anyone will really care :shrug:

Wait, so I'm supposed to respond to the original email? I just scheduled through ERAS but never replied otherwise, I doubt anyone will really care :shrug:
Sorry what I mean to say is when they email you and you're scheduling with them directly to figure out dates. My first 3 IV were literally them emailing me and saying hey these are the dates, respond with your top 3 and I'll let you know what date is good

I was in your guys' shoes last year. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys have any specific questions, I enjoy helping you guys out. I might be able help out the lower stat group more so (DO, <220 step 1). Was really fortunate to match at my #2, a mid tier university program last cycle.

Lastly, its a somewhat stressful time but enjoy it folks, interviews/4th year in general is an absolute blast.

Reactions: 4 users
for those programs that schedule interviews on Thalamus, do they send out an email first?

Does anyone have any experience interviewing for an R position? Do interview invites for these positions come out later in the interview season?

Does anyone have any experience interviewing for an R position? Do interview invites for these positions come out later in the interview season?

Wondering the same thing!!!!

for those programs that schedule interviews on Thalamus, do they send out an email first?
With Thalamus, you get one email sent to you from "Thalamusgme.com" with the subject line reading "Residency Interview Invitation: UNIVERSITY OF XXXXXX ANESTHESIOLOGY". The body of the email has a link to click to sign up for the interview date along with a message from the program that says whatever they want it to say.

At least this is how both of my emails have been from the programs that use Thalamus.

I was in your guys' shoes last year. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you guys have any specific questions, I enjoy helping you guys out. I might be able help out the lower stat group more so (DO, <220 step 1). Was really fortunate to match at my #2, a mid tier university program last cycle.

Lastly, its a somewhat stressful time but enjoy it folks, interviews/4th year in general is an absolute blast.

should I be worried that I won’t have my step 2 in until mid nov

If a program sent out invites but I didn't get one, does that mean I won't get an invite from that program this round? Or could the program send out more invites later on?

If a program sent out invites but I didn't get one, does that mean I won't get an invite from that program this round? Or could the program send out more invites later on?

not sure. anyone else not getting any IV this week?

If you can help out those with a step less than 220 (especially DOs) that would be great. Matching is not easy with those stats. In particular, programs truly matching DOs or MDs with a low Step 1 would be quite valuable.

No I don't think that's what it means. I saw that Stony Brook had sent out some invites and my friend didn't receive one, but the next day she got one from them!

Last edited:
got a text notification from aamc re: U washington today but it was "to confirm they received my application -.-